• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Escaflowne The Movie

The movie felt really disjointed in the way it linked events. One moment Hitomi is scared, not knowing her surrounding and the next she's holding Van in her arms and spouting out some philosophic bullshit like she's spent a long time with him yet according to what the movie shows, there's been no time to form any kind of bond.
It felt disappointing and it made me wish to watch the series instead.

You're doing it wrong. Watch the TV show 1st as it give you a better storyline and pacing then the movie which feel rush through. The show is very good and have finish it few month ago.

Lupin III - Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone

vdpVyZH.jpg

That was pretty good. Good drawing and animation, decent pace, action, plans, and all very stylish. And all the characters in their recognizable archetypes. Oh and the ending song is good!

And 2d cars!

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 11-13

"But one day there will be a time when you must do what needs to be done. It's a task only you can shoulder"

Holy mother of all foreshadowing.
Saki is totally going to off Maria at the end. The fact that she narrates this probably means she recovered all her lost memories aka became the chief of Ethics committee. /wild theories

A fine set of episodes with the twelfth being the highlight. Really liked the graveyard scene and the flashback to the old case of Fiend and Karma Demon. The conversation with Asahina Tomiko finally provided a pretty rational explanation for the current messed up state of things in this God forsaken district. I was expecting the Ethics committee to come off as much more plainly evil guys so this is a pleasant surprise. (But they still seem to go way overboard.)
So was making Saki an heir to take over from the current chief. This seems to propel the story in a much different direction than I expected.
I'm glad that some chain of authority that rules over this area was finally firmly established. Though Saki seems to have missed the opportunity to ask about the fate of all those kids who don't graduate from Harmony school. The continuous lack of info about the outside world peeves me of too. This district consists of 7 villages and is not larger 100 square miles yet those kids don't seem to be very interested in what lies beyond. (outside of squeerats.) And where exactly
was Mamoru running off to ? Sometimes I get the feeling this whole area is more like a prison/reservation for mutants to segregate them from the rest of the society. And the squeerats colonies are just a buffer/additional security zone.

People really should just skip the series and watch the movie. Okada is forced to reign herself in and the result is a better product.

Oh damn, wasn't aware there's a movie. Hmm if it's better I may actually just watch that now instead. After episode 6 I'm actually not really willing to watch the rest of the series in full anyways.

Any experts on the Detective Conan series/IP?

What's the best to watch? I'm in the mood of seeing a few episodes, but just the best of the best compilation. Just 7-8 episodes, the best stuff you would show to someone to convince him it's really good, or a pair of movies if the movies are the best material, don't give me a list of 40 episodes to watch, then I won't watch shit :p.

survivor

Banned
Any experts on the Detective Conan series/IP?

What's the best to watch? I'm in the humor of seeing a few episodes, but just the best of the best compilation. Just 7-8 episodes, the best stuff you would show to someone to convince him it's really good, or a pair of movies if the movies are the best material, don't give me a list of 40 episodes to watch, then I won't watch shit :p.
Mature posted a list of good episodes. They are generally from the earlier parts of the series but they are probably the most classic cases.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=107062286&postcount=12057

RightStuf Day 8 sale looks pretty good. Here are the notables:

Berserk: $7.80 each $75 for bundles 1-10, 11-20, 20-30 $52.50 for bundle 31-37
Children Who Chase Lost Voices: $14 for BD, $10.50 for DVD
Eureka Seven: $18 for BD, $14 for the DVD
First Squad: The Moment of Truth: $8 for the BD, $6 for the DVD
Gankustou: $12 (This might be the SAVE edition)
Mysterious Girlfriend X: $24.50 for the BD, $21 for the DVD
Persona 4: $32 for the complete collection LOL for the dub-only BD
Toriko Collection 1: $14

Thoraxes

PUNIE-CHAN $7!

Watching Suzuka and holy shit I don't know how of this MC I can take. He's an idiot, straight up. And his "friend" seems he should be arrested for sexual harassment.

HeroBank Episode 36: Okinawa Business Trip

Let's nankuru naisa! Fun episode.

Nagara
Justice star presence was what we needed since all other allies were busy and his personality is pretty funny, especially when Fukuta is making a line about him. Fukuta was also great when he was speaking of Sekito.
didnt think he would be one that would take such things to heart like that (having no presence or humanity, not eating, and being antisocial...guess he does enjoy these friends even if he seems to want to stay on the edge of it

Was also one of the most hilarious herobank episode. The idiot moment especially.

Oreca Battle & DraColle 36

Oreca was another setup, but I love the sparkles always added when Chuchulain speaks

DraColle was pretty hilarious. Mansa the witch and the lies on the staircase had to be one of the funniest moments in all DraColle thus far. Then everyone arguing over who could or couldnt go up there.

Link Man

Banned

KINO'S JOURNEY $11.99! Get it!

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 14

So not only messing up with memory but a regular long running hypnosis of the kids.
That's all kinds of fucked up
. And summary executions decided on by a band of hysterics.
A pleasant place this is decidedly not. They actually mentioned the bigger world, current population of Japan and the other districts, neat.

Picking this up when I skipped it during its initial run because I wasn't going to pay Funimation's Elite subscription when it was the only show they had that season I cared to watch. Figure I should watch it now since AotY voting is coming up and I'd like to be informed about it as probably the most acclaimed show this year I haven't watched.

Thankfully I was prepared for the unorthodox style beforehand and was already over it. Not sure it would have bugged me in either event, but it's definitely striking and doesn't feel like a cost-cutting measure. Tatami Galaxy is one of my top-five all-time, so looking different is hardly a deal breaker for me.

That said, I tend to not watch sport anime. I like sports well enough, but I prefer to watch the real deal to fictional drama about those games. It almost always needs a hook somewhere else, where the sport is a backdrop and not the actual focus, for me to get into it. Bamboo Blade (comedy), Taisho Baseball Girls (gender roles), Girls und Panzer (unorthodox sport, family expectations)...I wouldn't say I loved those shows, but I had more patience for them because there was more to it than the club/team/sport and competing in said sport.

This first episode seemed to have something more behind it than just ping pong, but it was centered on the sport and I didn't necessarily have enough knowledge of it to follow all their conversations. The grips and handedness and advanced tactics all went way over my head. But it didn't stop me from seeing the different approaches the three main characters had towards the game and what it says about them. Definitely intrigued by how much it said about those three without actually saying it in words. Showing, not telling, is always a good way to impress me in a visual medium.

Ping Pong is more of an anime about people that just so happen to play ping pong rather than an anime about ping pong.

If you like it you should check out the manga author's other works, they're really interesting.

omgkitty

I was on Twitter, and someone posted a link to the 2003 Astro Boy series on DVD on Amazon, and it was only $6. Didn't think about it and just bought it. Decided to do some research this morning to find that the set has no Japanese audio, the episodes are out of order and edited, and that the show is a widescreen show and was cut down to 4:3. I guess it's good it was only $6 :|

duckroll

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

A breathtaking and beautiful film that truly embraces the art of animation. This adaptation is Ghibli at their very best but also possibly their most different film. But while different usually suggests a unique take on an idea, here it feels the opposite. Ghibli, especially under Miyazaki's direction, usually takes existing stories and ideas and makes it their own, but here Takahata's adaptation is straight forward and faithful.

The personal touch in this film is not so much in what it changes from the folklore, but rather what it chooses to draw out and emphasize in the story. Using the age old story as a vehicle, Takahata explores themes of freedom, true happiness, conformity in society, and a woman's place in ancient Japan. But in doing so he never really strays away from the original tale, and the sad melancholic tone it carries. Everything about the production and the art style feels like a love song to the fable, and the era it paints.

What the movie reminded me of most in fact, is the golden age of Disney films where they took classic fairy tales familiar to everyone, and without making them particularly different, they just told them with the highest level of passion and production effort they could. Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty. Princess Kaguya would feel right at home as the Japanese cousin of such classics. It's fitting that only a studio like Ghibli could take on such a task.

cajunator

Banned
Precure Max Heart 32

15 more episodes to go....

In this episode we learned about the joys of odango, smiles, and forcing old people to keep working well past retirement age.

I really have no idea how you keep soldiering on. You are brave and very patient.

Yeah I had to take a break for awhile. I tried to come back a few times but I dunno I kept getting burnt out real easily until now.

Last show I was watching before I left was Akuma no Riddle, so back in Spring earlier this year. Been talking to Thoraxes who recommended me another show to watch, which is...

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! - 01

So much pee. Queen's Blade got nothing on this. :lol

Lol yeah Juden Chan is soooo cute but so uhm.....fetishistic.

Had it for years BEAR :)

Shin Sekai Yori 11-13

"But one day there will be a time when you must do what needs to be done. It's a task only you can shoulder"

Holy mother of all foreshadowing.
Saki is totally going to off Maria at the end. The fact that she narrates this probably means she recovered all her lost memories aka became the chief of Ethics committee. /wild theories

A fine set of episodes with the twelfth being the highlight. Really liked the graveyard scene and the flashback to the old case of Fiend and Karma Demon. The conversation with Asahina Tomiko finally provided a pretty rational explanation for the current messed up state of things in this God forsaken district. I was expecting the Ethics committee to come off as much more plainly evil guys so this is a pleasant surprise. (But they still seem to go way overboard.)
So was making Saki an heir to take over from the current chief. This seems to propel the story in a much different direction than I expected.
I'm glad that some chain of authority that rules over this area was finally firmly established. Though Saki seems to have missed the opportunity to ask about the fate of all those kids who don't graduate from Harmony school. The continuous lack of info about the outside world peeves me of too. This district consists of 7 villages and is not larger 100 square miles yet those kids don't seem to be very interested in what lies beyond. (outside of squeerats.) And where exactly
was Mamoru running off to ? Sometimes I get the feeling this whole area is more like a prison/reservation for mutants to segregate them from the rest of the society. And the squeerats colonies are just a buffer/additional security zone.

Now that you understand the situation more I think its nearly time to be able to discuss it. but just a little more heh.
You can see now that tis society has been created out of necessity. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Tragic and disturbing but they literally have no choice.
But there is more to come. Actually a lot more.

:O
I hope if this is new anime it still cheaps out on the visuals, for the laughs.

I just saw that yesterday has AKB0048. I hope all you yanks bought a copy!

Of course Ive had a copy! I couldnt pass this show up when it came out! This show is a treasure.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 163 (END) engDub
B4WJ3JHCYAAwExK.png:large

Fantastic Cardfight!! Vanguard arc. I would probably place it right with the first season as the best season. Sure we abandoned the pure cardfights of the past for a story that was out of this world and even the planet of Cray, but it was fun. Dark Takuto embodying the Link Joker clan was a fantastic change for his character. It helped to give him some backstory as well as enhance team Ultra Rare. Toshiki Kai was given more screentime too greatly emproving his character. It even made him have way more expressions than in the past. I still think he could have been an antagonist at some point in time. He would have been perfect for one.

I will miss the Яeverse. Definitely AOTY worthy.

Now to wait for engDub of cfvanguard Legion arc.

Taruranto

The Big WAT #11

Oh man, this was one creepy episode, if I even saw one. Really nice atmosphere.

I've no idea what is going on with the plot, everyone is just being cryptic.

Onward to S2 now! I heard there is a huge shift in quality/style.

Puruzi

Banned
Ninja Slayer looks odd. I was hoping it would look more like Kill la Kill, but whatever. I'll probably end up liking it like I ended up liking Inou Battle anyway.

Branduil

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

A breathtaking and beautiful film that truly embraces the art of animation. This adaptation is Ghibli at their very best but also possibly their most different film. But while different usually suggests a unique take on an idea, here it feels the opposite. Ghibli, especially under Miyazaki's direction, usually takes existing stories and ideas and makes it their own, but here Takahata's adaptation is straight forward and faithful.

The personal touch in this film is not so much in what it changes from the folklore, but rather what it chooses to draw out and emphasize in the story. Using the age old story as a vehicle, Takahata explores themes of freedom, true happiness, conformity in society, and a woman's place in ancient Japan. But in doing so he never really strays away from the original tale, and the sad melancholic tone it carries. Everything about the production and the art style feels like a love song to the fable, and the era it paints.

What the movie reminded me of most in fact, is the golden age of Disney films where they took classic fairy tales familiar to everyone, and without making them particularly different, they just told them with the highest level of passion and production effort they could. Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty. Princess Kaguya would feel right at home as the Japanese cousin of such classics. It's fitting that only a studio like Ghibli could take on such a task.

It's interesting that you bring up the Disney comparison. I felt some similarities in that respect, most obviously in the fable/fairy tale aspect, but also some key differences. I need to write up my own review at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom