• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic Kaito 1412 - 1

This was a wonderful adaptation! The voices, the animation, the poker face. Loved the OP and ED.

I think the character art was also better than the manga. Definitely a must watch for me.

TUSR

Banned
Ah ok. The only anime I've seen remotely similar to this is SAO. And I guess Accel World if it fits that category.

Thats exactly how I went into LH too, turns out I needed a break between watching SAO and LH.

Its a pretty good show and its worth giving a chance, just don't expect it to be like SAO Arc 1.

Steins;Gate - 21

Man, I really haven't felt this level of crushing incoming sadness in an anime ever since Madoka. I really have no clue how this show could possibly pull off a happy ending at this point.

Okay...what was up with
Kurisu at the end there? Where was she? Was it the spot where she died in the original world line? Or was that the flash of the divergence number or something?

I wish I could answer but I can't discuss it without inadvertently giving away spoilers so you might as well finish it. Looking forward to your review. You've gotten the exact reactions I was hoping for. I hope that now you see the importance of the first half, since without it the second half wouldn't be nearly as strong or gut-punching.

Magic Kaito 1412 - 1

This was a wonderful adaptation! The voices, the animation, the poker face. Loved the OP and ED.

I think the character art was also better than the manga. Definitely a must watch for me.

One of my favourites so far. I really like the Kaitou Kid episodes in Detective Conan, so this side series is definitely welcomed.

From the New World Ep. 10

First episode I straight up didn't like. The change in visual style was extremely apparent but it wasn't until the melodrama kicked in that I started realizing that this was Shigeyasu Yamauchi's handiwork. His style is okay when the show is designed around it like Casshern Sins but it fell flat on its face in the context of this series.

Also why the hell did he keep focusing on Saki's crotch?

Haha yeah. Even though it was a real serious episode, and one of my favorites, I cant stop laughing at how gratuitous those shots were. The crotch shots were especially wtf. Like uh ohkay.

There used to be that one GAFfer who pretended to be Japanese before having a meltdown.

Whaaat. Who was this

just cajun & dresden

How would you rate your chuuniness?

Cats can't be chuuni.
image.php

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch x365 episode 3

Aww what a cute episode. It's about Miya going on a date with Yuno. So romantic~ That
random loli watching Yuno draw
was really uncalled for. It nearly made my heart stop. And the they
started feeding each other....
I love this show. ;_;

Baby Steps 7:
Good training there, with Coach Miura coming up with some good ways to show Ei-chan how to become a better player, and that match between him and Takuma was really good for showing off the gap between them. I wasn't expecting to see us finding out about what Takuma's deal was quite so soon, but it seems like things are going to move quickly between the two of them. Hopefully he can continue to find his own style at playing tennis, and further hone his game sense.

fertygo

Inou Battle something

This is so bad, its even had massive plot hole in just one episode.

Why the student council head not knowing the other power already if she observing the club the whole time.

Trigger's already dead.

Log Horizon 2

Now this ep was quite good. I love that there's actual strategy and the class & subclass system seems pretty thought out and well executed. I'm also liking the characters.

I'm very glad that there's no "You die in the game, you die in real life!" BS
Guess there's gonna be something else that ups the tension since that's out of the equation, unless I'm speaking too soon.

But yeah, really good episode.

Ai Tenchi Muyo! 01

Uhhhhhhhh....

I dunno much about Tenchi Muyo (only series I watched was GXP YEAH I KNOW) but this was basically just a guy getting beat up and bullied by cute girls for four minutes.

Is that what this series is about?

Amagi Brilliant Park - 01

Ehhhhh. I'll give it this everything in this show does look nice. I like the character designs and the show clearly has plenty of budget to work with here as well. Yet the entire time I sat here watching this all I could think was "This is just gonna be another Kyoani Romantic comedy/harem."

Isuzu has a very nice ass and tits, so there's that I guess.

mankoto

GARo:Honoo no Kokuin 1
I honestly didn't expect it to play out like that. I wasn't interested in it before, but I am now.

Blusby

Too lewd.

Inou Battle 01: How delightfully mediocre, a lot of the humor fell flat on me but it wasn't so bad that I'll be dropping it here, hopefully it'll get better.
It probably won't.

I wish I could answer but I can't discuss it without inadvertently giving away spoilers so you might as well finish it. Looking forward to your review. You've gotten the exact reactions I was hoping for. I hope that now you see the importance of the first half, since without it the second half wouldn't be nearly as strong or gut-punching.

I thought the first half was very important. The whole thing serves as a big set-up but it very neatly foreshadows what's to come in the show so the viewer doesn't get bored. I definitely enjoyed it.

Steins;Gate - 22

Wow. Had it not been for Kurisu and the others,
Okabe would have ended up exactly like Homura Akemi from Madoka ended up. Seeing Mayuri die over and over again was slowly and slowly wearing on him to the point where he was determining the deadlines on her death with little-to-no qualms about it at all.

Homura didn't have anyone to turn to when she kept going back in time to save Madoka. Okabe did, and that's why he's still able to keep his mind in check. There's a really good contrast between these two characters, with Homura being like a "What could have been" when it comes to Okabe. Now I understand why these two shows are compared with each other a lot.

The confession scene in this episode is almost exactly on par with Madoka episode 11 in terms of how well it works and how well it was executed. The only difference between there and here is that both of them truly understand what's going on and how they feel about it all, only making it more heartbreaking. Nonetheless, if he stopped now, it will all have been for naught. He goes through with the time-leap, and finishes the job.

All in all, that was Steins;Gate. A really great show that was totally worth having Mike watch TTGL. I'm really glad that I made this watchbet with him an-

Wait a minute,
Suzu? What's going on? Wait, WORLD WAR III? Hang on a second here WAIT WHAT?!?

Jex

But Steins;Gate isn't a good show, it's contrived nonsense that exists in a 8 character universe.

But Steins;Gate isn't a good show, it's contrived nonsense that exists in a 8 character universe.

Jexhius I swear to God. It was one of the more enjoyable time travel stories in a while. Primer being the other one.

I thought the first half was very important. The whole thing serves as a big set-up but it very neatly foreshadows what's to come in the show so the viewer doesn't get bored. I definitely enjoyed it]

If you think the foreshadowing is good now, the end is amazing. Well the end of the show, the OVA finisher is good as a fan-servicey (not the sexual kind) way to finish it.

Branduil

Amagi Brilliant Park 1

Takemoto really is trying his best to direct our thigh-high socks off. It's a shame he has to attempt it with fairly weak material. The foreshadowed KEY-esque magical drama promises to be dreadful at least.

Jex

In a way, doesn't that describe every anime?

Yes, but it's aggressively ridiculous in Steins;Gate, which also happens to be sci-fi story where time itself cares that certain things happen. Huh? There's predestination but you can also change lots of things? Don't get me started.

Steins;Gate is a show where people like the characters and the relationships and this allows them to somehow gloss over the part where the main story makes no sense.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 17

That opening. Jesus Christ.

Okabe is trying to undo all the D-Mails that were sent in hopes of regaining the IBN 5100.

How does Faris know about the D-Mail she sent? I thought the only person able to keep memories through world lines and alterations was Okabe?

Just random plot?

Regardless, just from changing those 10 years she seems messed in the head. Now we sort of know why Suzuha
committed suicide.

Wait, what the fuck. She seriously remembered through 2 D-Mails?

It turns out that
more than just Okabe can remember dmail memories
Im not sure if that was an oversight or planned that way though.
There are some revelations to come though!

Akame Ga Kill! 14

Why is Esdeath so bae?

What is this "bae"? What the heck does that mean? I see it on twitter but I havent looked up what it means.

Steins;Gate 18

So Rukako remembers
being a boy, just like Faris remembered when her father wasn't alive from a different world line.

The people sending the D-Mails are retaining memories. Okabe now has more weight on his conscience all with the hope of
maybe keeping Mayuri alive.
Still chasing the IBN 5100. What happened to the D-Mail that
prevented future-part-time warrior from traveling, are we going to save her now? Can we?

God I hope so.

the answers will be revealed shortly!
This is why I had to marathon it. too many questions eating away at my conscience.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 44

Right, to underscore how pointless the last episode was, the goal of that plan, to find an opening to the Dark Kingdom just kind of happens at the beginning of this episode seemingly randomly by Sailor Venus. Indeed, the endgame is nearly at hand but first the time has finally come to complete the exposition on the past of Sailor Moon and the Sailor Guardians as well as their mortal foes The Dark Kingdom. Indeed, as an aside here, there have been people complaining about the lack of characterization in the new Sailor Moon Crystal, there is some merit to this, though the blander personalities of the scouts is kind of how it went in the manga. Anyway, for those who keep bitching about this, the original Sailor Moon series had it own characterization problems that people seem to be glossing over for various reasons.

I have gone into details about how badly they screwed up with Sailor Venus in previous reviews and other commentaries but this time I want to talk about the villains of this season, The Dark Kingdom. I suppose the original anime did a decent job of remaking the Four Great Kings in its own image but that did come at the expense of backstory as we only get the merest bare bones here. They were high ranking guardsmen who got corrupted by the power of Metalia and that is it. Still, they fared batter then Beryl who in spite of being the primary villain for most of the season and yet she never moved past the motivations of a Saturday morning cartoon villain and she is little more then Metalia unwavering herald. Metalia herself is almost a giant space flea out of nowhere since they chose to focus on Beryl most of the season. I will say this episode did an excellent job of showing what the true stakes of her revival shall mean.
Right, anyway, this episode gets an automatic highest recommendation as it is really one of the most important episodes of Sailor Mon produced.

Episode 44 was the beginning of one hell of an endgame. Sailor moon season one ending left me speechless when I first saw it. Mahou Shoujo can be some of the most brutal anime in any genre.

Branduil

Yes, but it's aggressively ridiculous in Steins;Gate, which also happens to be sci-fi story where time itself cares that certain things happen. Huh? There's predestination but you can also change lots of things? Don't get me started.

Steins;Gate is a show where people like the characters and the relationships and this allows them to somehow gloss over the part where the main story makes no sense.

Also the fact that White Fox is awful at animation.

The show is 100% carried by the character interactions.

Amagi Brilliant Park 01

42d31734a6.jpg

Kyoani steppin up their game

I like the OP. ED is ok.
Honestly this is better then I thought it was gonna be, and a solid first ep (not enough to redeem KyoAni in anyone's eyes, probably) looks nice and directing is pretty good. I like the deadpan delivery and faces during the first half. Seems like it will turn into a typical KyoAni romcom show though, with a harem as going by the ED the elemental girls are pretty important.

I'll stick with it because it seems like there's some potential here, I think. MC seems like he could at least have a character arc or something -though those obvious CHILDHOOD TRAUMA flashbacks make me a little worried- but I dunno how much it will be delivered on.
Well it'll probably be better then KnK, anyway.

And a probably dumb question but why is that mascot thing from Full Metal Panic in here? Same author?

Well said

Mature

Light novels, graphic novels, visual novels— why can't they just adapt regular novels?
Like From the New World

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cg cars that drive themselves. spooky.
you wake up and the car drove itself to the foot of your bed, headlights flashing on to blind you as you try to open your eyes.

Dresden

amaburi - 1

It's okay. Appreciated how swiftly paced the first half was - none of it is particularly funny, but no shot ever lingers, it just being an endless parade of fast cuts in and out of each attraction. Amusing enough.

The silly premise that the show pushes in the second half just makes it feel like the LN adaptation that it is. The introspective tone that the director tries to instill is distracted by the chintzy music, and the silliness of the events that follow kinda robs the occasion of any gravity it may have possessed. Also, amnesia. Maybe it'll turn out well, but still. It's hard to be really hopeful about this.

Did Naoko Yamada handle the ED? I just assume any kyoani ed with naked girls is her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom