• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

What is chuuni? Inou battle dudes were saying it alot like im supposed to know its meaning.
People who believe in visions of grandeur made up in their head. Typically exhibited in younger people. Like playing pretend, but to an extreme.

As an example, you could say someone like Okabe in Steins;Gate exhibited chuubibyou tendencies.

Madoka: Rebellion

I needed some time to let everything soak in after watching it.

But before anything, I gotta say the opening sequence was absolutely enchanting. It felt like some sort of disturbing disney musical. The singing and behaviors just felt very disney like. The whole sequence and the music was stuck in my head, and I rewatched it a few times. It was awesome.

Anyways, on to the movie. I can see why many fans would be upset at the ending. I thought it was solid. I'm unhappy with how
Homura reaches a new level of suffering
but I felt like this is the direction the series had to go anyways. It sucks though.
She suffered more than any of the girls, and now, the more she protects Madoka, the farther she will be from her and at odds. lts brutal. I think she had a mental breakdown at the ending.

She should have kept her mouth shut
about the witches
. I felt betrayed by
QB again, I thought these little bastards would stop being such bastards but I was wrong. They went ahead and started to perform cruel experiments trying to capture Madoka. I wish things were as happy go lucky as Homuras labyrinth. If only. Fucking QB.

Even though
Homura is now a "devil", I dont think its from an "evil" POV. Just something thats different from God Madoka. It seems shes a lot more powerful than God Madoka and seems to have some influence over the Incubators. You cant fool me again. The cute little bastards will find another way to torture the girls again.

Even so, I'm still lost and confused about a few things. It would be great if some of you can help me piece things together:

1) So Homura stripped Madokas power because she felt shes the only one able to protect her? That as long as Madoka exists in her new reality, no one will be able to mess with her and her peaceful lifestyle?

2) How did Sayaka and Bebe know what was going on? How did they become Madokas "heralds"? I thought they were dead. So when Madoka got pulled into the labyrinth trying to save Homura, these 2 were pulled in as well? If so, how come their memories werent erased?

3) Are these girls in the end real? Did Sayaka, Mami, Kyoko and Nagisa come back to life for real? They dont have magical girl memories but do they know they are friends?

4) What use does Homura have now for the Incubators? She mentioned that she will be keeping an eye on them or something.

5) So the ending for episode 12 was the beginning of Homuras witch transformation? I read somewhere the writer said that wasnt even in Japan.

All in all, I really enjoyed this ride. I havent spent so much time thinking about a series in a long time, its definitely one of my favorites now. SHAFT did an incredible job making really disturbing but very creative artwork as it was a pleasure to just look at. Cant say enough about the soundtrack. Hope theres more in the future.
My personal take on the answers

1) IMo she did it because :
-She didn't like madoka new condition & sacrifice ( in her eyes )
-She couldn't bear to live without her
-she felt that is nobody put "them" in check , madoka wouldn't trully be safe.
Also , as long as madoka memories are sealed , the status quo will remain.

2)They were saved by madoka before , and they entered homura labyrinth with protections, so they retained their memories. They didn't die , they were saved by madoka .All of the 3 entered the labyrinth together.

3)Yes all of them are real. praise the universe rule bending powers

4) Homura want them in check , and she monitor/order them.She manages how much/little they get energy most likeley in order to prevent them to target madoka

5)Yes to both questions. Quite some time had passed.
It's called hammerspace. Gee, are you anime n00bs or suming?
City hunter trully was excellent , i need someone to follow in those footsteps!
Takahiro pls.

I beg you to make this happen.

I'm willing to spend a good amount of money on an Esdese VN.
Would be a VN where trully every choice will matter !
I long for the good old days when Kyoani only made quality anime like Haruhi.
FMP , FMP !!!

JoeFu

Banned
So I see there was a brynhildr 11.5........

I want to post screens but I don't feel like getting banned lol. I'm not sure what I expected hahahaha.

sonicmj1

Amagi Brilliant Park 1

This is the best TV thing they've done since Hyouka.

And no, it's not Hyouka. People may have wanted to believe because of the staff involved, but the plot synopses and everything we were getting should have been enough to tell you that. It's a silly thing about an egotistical guy having a theme park thrust on him by a beautiful girl. There are some potentially dangerous flashbacks hinting at some kind of past trauma, which seems to be some kind of KyoAni staple these days. It's very much a commercial product.

ih1BayqPpXJWN.jpg
izehLEifph9en.jpg

A lot of the camera techniques used when the princess is talking with the lead are very, very similar to techniques used in conversations between Oreki and Chitanda.

But it's really well-directed and beautiful in all respects, standing out even in this crowded and competitive season. Much of the episode is dedicated to giving the lead a whirlwind tour of the decrepit and bizarre titular theme park, and the comic timing of everything is right on point. The director knows how to use brief, quick cuts to establish an overarching feeling of place, creating little narratives that tell you volumes about the state the park is in. There are even little slices of internal monologue from the protagonist that bring some of a light novel's strengths across without compromising pacing.

ibsXH8rMlWq38.jpg
i7pydgtBqXrD.jpg

As much as we're told about what the park is supposed to be, the show trusts our eyes to see the park as it is now.

It's really well-executed, and the tone is light enough and the writing solid enough to carry the otherwise-weak premise. Even that butt shot that bothers Defuser is held onscreen for just a small fraction of a second. If you want to take screenshots it's remarkably lewd, but in practice during an uninterrupted viewing, it perfectly captures the sense of someone walking in on someone unexpectedly in the bathroom and shutting the door before they can even register what they're seeing.

It's a more cynical show than what KyoAni was making during their peak a few years back, but it's a huge step up from garbage like KnK or Chuu2. If people take it on its own terms, I expect they'll really enjoy it.

Thoraxes

I have the first volume. My wallet is -not- ready to get the rest... yet it must be so.
I'd reccommend using rightstuf for v2-v4. If you purchased all 3 volumes and a Got Anime membership, it'd pay for itself and you'd save like 3 bucks on just that one purchase. Or if you already have one, that's like $15 off.

Clov

Amagi Brilliant Park 1

This is the best TV thing they've done since Hyouka.

And no, it's not Hyouka. People may have wanted to believe because of the staff involved, but the plot synopses and everything we were getting should have been enough to tell you that. It's a silly thing about an egotistical guy having a theme park thrust on him by a beautiful girl. There are some potentially dangerous flashbacks hinting at some kind of past trauma, which seems to be some kind of KyoAni staple these days. It's very much a commercial product.

But it's really well-directed and beautiful in all respects, standing out even in this crowded and competitive season. Much of the episode is dedicated to giving the lead a whirlwind tour of the decrepit and bizarre titular theme park, and the comic timing of everything is right on point. The director knows how to use brief, quick cuts to establish an overarching feeling of place, creating little narratives that tell you volumes about the state the park is in. There are even little slices of internal monologue from the protagonist that bring some of a light novel's strengths across without compromising pacing.

It's really well-executed, and the tone is light enough and the writing solid enough to carry the otherwise-weak premise. Even that butt shot that bothers Dresden is held onscreen for just a small fraction of a second. If you want to take screenshots it's remarkably lewd, but in practice during an uninterrupted viewing, it perfectly captures the sense of someone walking in on someone unexpectedly in the bathroom and shutting the door before they can even register what they're seeing.

It's a more cynical show than what KyoAni was making during their peak a few years back, but it's a huge step up from garbage like KnK or Chuu2. If people take it on its own terms, I expect they'll really enjoy it.

It's nice to see some impressions of the episode itself! I'll be looking forward to watching it, whenever I can.

So have we heard anything on Akatsuki no Yona? It sounded interesting from the premise on ani-chart and CR just picked it up for simulcast so I'll probably watch it

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park 1

I'm really curious about how they handle the atmosphere in the show. There are a number of scenes that I can potentially see in the 2nd episode having that melancholic effect.

I should also note that the flashback drama you're referring to, is part of the light novels. You can pin that on Gatoh.

Mature

I'd reccommend using rightstuf for v2-v4. If you purchased all 3 volumes and a Got Anime membership, it'd pay for itself and you'd save like 3 bucks on just that one purchase. Or if you already have one, that's like $15 off.
Oh, might just do that. Every time I looked into that membership it seemed confusing.

From the New World Ep. 10

First episode I straight up didn't like. The change in visual style was extremely apparent but it wasn't until the melodrama kicked in that I started realizing that this was Shigeyasu Yamauchi's handiwork. His style is okay when the show is designed around it like Casshern Sins but it fell flat on its face in the context of this series.

Also why the hell did he keep focusing on Saki's crotch?

Link Man

Banned
So have we heard anything on Akatsuki no Yona? It sounded interesting from the premise on ani-chart and CR just picked it up for simulcast so I'll probably watch it

Oh cool, I was just wondering about that show. Hope it focuses on action and political intrigue, as the summary suggests.

Huh. I thought episode 10 of SSY was one of the better episodes and a massive improvement over episode 5
Episode 5 didn't stick out as much to me in terms of his style.

I think he wrote the script for both episodes, since the writer appears to be a pseudonym. I didn't have a problem with the visual style but that script was not good.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Since you have acquired a taste for Tomino, you probably want me to go back to Overman King Gainer. :p

Heh, i haven't seen that one so i can't say! Anyways I feel like SSY is similar to Penguindrum in that they both have some interesting ideas and themes but ultimately they completely fail to do them justice
aka like tons of other anime
. I'd rather spend my time watching something that doesn't get my hopes up only to disappoint in the end.

From the New World Ep. 10

First episode I straight up didn't like. The change in visual style was extremely apparent but it wasn't until the melodrama kicked in that I started realizing that this was Shigeyasu Yamauchi's handiwork. His style is okay when the show is designed around it like Casshern Sins but it fell flat on its face in the context of this series.

Also why the hell did he keep focusing on Saki's crotch?

It's a style that's very different, but I thought it worked given the story content of the episode. The whole thing was a kind of surreal episode that was really suited to Yamauchi's particular look. It made everything feel otherwordly.

SSY is shit anyway, watch something better Femmeworth

Time for me to start a list, I guess.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Heh, i haven't seen that one so i can't say! Anyways I feel like SSY is similar to Penguindrum in that they both have some interesting ideas and themes but ultimately they completely fail to do them justice
aka like tons of other anime
. I'd rather spend my time watching something that doesn't get my hopes up only to disappoint in the end.

this post doesn't really make much sense but whatevs, basically for whatever reason penguin drum and SSY are linked in my mind as shows that were ultimately disappointing

I wasn't joking about the crotch shots. These are all within the first five minutes of the episode. I don't think this was intended to be erotic but a bad combination of the character art and Yamauchi's cinematography. (I'll give the benefit of the doubt for once.)

Bonus
Saki died for Casshern's sins. (Not a spoiler.)
It's a style that's very different, but I thought it worked given the story content of the episode. The whole thing was a kind of surreal episode that was really suited to Yamauchi's particular look. It made everything feel otherwordly.
In a post (that you will probably have already read by the time you read this one) I said my issue isn't with the visual style but his style of storytelling.

Mokoi

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 10

Saionji will definitely return back to the school since I know his attachment with the Rose bride won't be ended that easily. This was a Nanami focused episode, and gave some flashbacks to when she was a kid onii-sama included. It certainly showed that her fondness with her brother started off at quite the early age. Nanami did something that would have many people up in arms calling for her death, but it really illustrated how nothing will come between her and onii-sama. I can say that I was shaking my fist saying no pls don't do that.
She sent a cat to it's death. Nothing more serious than animals dying in televison shows and movies. Animal deaths is a sure way to make people garner an emotional response.

I also believe this is the first time Utena has ever questioned if a girl can really become a prince. It's very unlikely for her to do such a thing, and I expect her to question herself even more as the story progresses. I really enjoy the music within this show, so it's good to hear them sweet tunes again. The shadow/silhouette people conversations is something I really enjoy too. Overall this was a great episode leaving me eager to see more of what's too come.

Steins;Gate - 21

Man, I really haven't felt this level of crushing incoming sadness in an anime ever since Madoka. I really have no clue how this show could possibly pull off a happy ending at this point.

Okay...what was up with
Kurisu at the end there? Where was she? Was it the spot where she died in the original world line? Or was that the flash of the divergence number or something?

Mature

They don't explain it well, but it works great. I've gotten more than 3 times the value out of it this year alone.

Great if you purchase frequently.
The problem with that is I'll purchase too frequently.

Right now I feel bad about not owning:
-Flowers of Evil
-From the New World
-Mysterious Girlfriend X
-The rest of Yamato 2199
-Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water BD
-Royal Space Force BD
-Blue Sub 6 BD

and on and on and on and on...

Is this the worst Fall ever.
Most definitely not. And we haven't even got to GBF yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom