• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Gugure Kokkuri-san 01
Incredible. Great voice acting, amazing comedic timing, and fully capable of hitting a bleak and sympathetic tone even with all the fluffy tails and wit floating around.

Dai00lZ.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[On the nudity in Amagi Brilliant Park]

It was 'merely' the director showing us how otherworldly and different this 'magical' girl is. Baffle at her lack of emotions! Gasp at her inability to care about privacy! Etc etc.
Trinity Seven or whatever it's called has an identical scene in it today. Exciting, right?

Jex

Hearing people describe The Seven Deadly Sins as a budget Fairly Tale is pretty hilarious considering people already describe Fairy Tale as budget One Piece.

Trinity Seven started like fucking comedy gold. There's a hilarious set-up of "you are the special" with the protagonist, already incest-y shit. I don't know if I'll watch it though it'd have to do something really amazing for me t-

YOU RAISE ME UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP~

SO I CAN STAND ON MOUNTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS~

Well now I know what show will be my guilty pleasure of the season if this quality keeps up.

Branduil

"Making Anime Sure Doesn't Look Easy" Oh, yeah? Drawing thousands of pictures to create animation is trying?

It's actually way easier than it used to be pre-digital. First there was the massive workload of painstakingly painting every individual cel, and then you had to arrange every element precisely on the multi-plane camera and take a photograph for every individual frame. Scanning frames, using the paintbucket tool, and arranging everything in After Effects is child's play by comparison.

Obviously I'm not saying it's actually easy, just that the advent of digital production has been a huge boon.

Watamote 11

This episode actually did an alright job of showing the deeper seeded insecurities of our MC. I think the strength of this particular episode though was that it had people for Tomoko to interact with, which is something this show desperately needed. Acting like a moron and having so much inter-monologue can only work for so long. And their jokes were pretty decent this time around.

Also this episode had a whole bunch of references to KyoAni anime from Haruhi, K-On and Clannad. So it automatically won points just by that alone.

mankoto

Trinity Seven 1
So this is a harem but we already know wins or something? That's fine with me. The first half not making any sense at all aside, second half was fun at the very least.

Hearing people describe The Seven Deadly Sins as a budget Fairly Tale is pretty hilarious considering people already describe Fairy Tale as budget One Piece.

Kind of ridiculous since I'd put Deadly Sins' anime over Fairy Tail's anime in the production value department.

Setting-wise, the similarities are definitely there (there was even a cross-over chapter in Shounen Magazine).

Trinity Seven - 01

Was wondering until which part they'll adapt into anime before watching this. I'm glad that it was answered during the OP theme. Gonna wait till the action part in the series to determine whether I'll follow this every week or will marathon it in a go.

everything is a budget-form of a thing

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 01

Pretty good but I dunno if I'll stick to it for the whole season

---------------------------

1. Caesar is a garbage companion and Joseph is better in his Grandpa form.

2. The introduction of stands is literally the best thing to happen to the series and I'm glad Araki pushed Hamon aside once he had done all he could with it. There's about 2 or 3 uses of Hamon left in the entire 8 part series so say goodbye now.

You said it for me!

People kept saying Old Joseph > Young Joesph but so far that's been a HUGE LIE. Y'all a bunch of liars! I'm also not sure what makes Caesar shit but whatever. Finally, while I agree that Stands were clearly the right way to take the series, I don't think the transition has been handled as well as it could have been. There's no reason the two couldn't coexist. If Part III is to be the Hamon's last hurrah, at least make Old Joesph suck less!

Old Joseph has funny engrish so he wins
Stands become way better in Part 3's latter half, and truly become something different in Part 4. And there is really no reason to use Hamon over Stands when even the weakest of all Stands are better then the strongest of Hamon attacks.
Joseph still uses Hamon sometimes (he used it during the Lovers fight) but don't expect too much use, Araki pretty much canned it after Part 2 entirely and it was a more boring sun powered Hokuto Shinken anyway, punch ghosts are better.

JCG

This series really was the beginning of the end for Sunrise when you look back.

Not really? If you want to talk about modern Sunrise, the real reference point should be Gundam SEED.

For better and for worse, that had much more of an influence on the studio than Code Geass ever did.

Then again, it is basically a fallacy to assume that old-school Sunrise wasn't rather uneven too.

I will stand behind Tiger and Bunny all day long. I definitely put it up there as one of Sunrise's best and actually legitimately good, unlike CG. It has a lot of problems, but the quality of character writing there is so good that those problems never bothered me.

I liked Tiger & Bunny myself, but I also count CG as "legitimately good with problems"...though I guess that always depends on how much one is or isn't bothered by something in particular.

Watamote 11

This episode actually did an alright job of showing the deeper seeded insecurities of our MC. I think the strength of this particular episode though was that it had people for Tomoko to interact with, which is something this show desperately needed. Acting like a moron and having so much inter-monologue can only work for so long. And their jokes were pretty decent this time around.

Also this episode had a whole bunch of references to KyoAni anime from Haruhi, K-On and Clannad. So it automatically won points just by that alone.

Bad shows don't become good by referencing good shows.

Dresden

I completely forgot to mention this in my post, but I agree entirely with this criticism. I understand that the park is supposed to be run-down but frankly, it doesn't even look convincingly distressed. It lacks the detail and character of truly well drawn decay, compare and contrast with the Flowers of Evil. It takes considerably more work to make something like old than new so I can understand why most shows take corners when portraying "run down" buildings but they should have put more effort in here. Everything was just too clean and bland and considering that the amusement park itself is the key location they needed to give it some character.

The tone of these two shows are so dissimilar that invoking decay would be a pretty bad thing to do, in Amagi's case. It was fitting for what it was - sort of an interregnum between prosperity of the old and that promised in the future with kanye's arrival. It can be fixed up; there's hope for it still.

Now kanye's home was fugly:

satoshiroom.jpeg
mayakaroom.png

RIP

He also looks like a hobbit entering Bag End due to some fucked up perspective.

Bad shows don't become good by referencing good shows.

I didn't say that. I just said it was a better episode then the last few episodes because of what occurred story and character-wise in the show. The last line was just to indicate that the show indeed made some references and I was amused by them. Despite that the show from episodes 5-10 did drag a lot.

Though I shouldn't be surprised since Baka & Test made a whole bunch of references during it's time too and it is from the same people.

Jex

The tone of these two shows are so dissimilar that invoking decay would be a pretty bad thing to do, in Amagi's case. It was fitting for what it was - sort of an interregnum between prosperity of the old and that promised in the future with kanye's arrival. It can be fixed up; there's hope for it still.

Now kanye's home was fugly:

satoshiroom.jpeg
mayakaroom.png

RIP

He also looks like a hobbit entering Bag End due to some fucked up perspective.
I would certainly agree that straight up decay wouldn't be the correct look, but it still seemed really sterile and dull. You're certainly right to single out his living room though, it looks like something a C-tier studio would have created.

Amagi Brilliant Park 01, Akatsuki no Yona 01

Sometimes I wonder why I watch Anime. At the very least I am completely burnt out, I can't really deal with all these tropes without having to fight myself not to fall asleep or skip through. Both these shows decided to change things up at the very last second so I'm still somewhat interested, but I feel like I'm being exploited. I don't know if they are doing it just so the can hook you for the next episode where they go back to their old crap or it's just a new trend to pull the rug out from under the watcher. I'm bored, I'm unhappy, I feel like my time would've been better spent skipping to the last 3/4 minutes. At least then I would feel more excited that it was just a teaser for next week, an episode 0 of sorts. But after watching 40 minutes of dreadfully boring crap I'm more jaded than anything. Right now I am in a state where I am jealous of those people who actually like tropey Anime; where they can talk about how cute the girls are, estimate 3 sizes, wonder which one will the guy get (or the other way round as may be the case with Yona), and other crap like that. I just... can't.

Jex

Not really? If you want to talk about modern Sunrise, the real reference point should be Gundam SEED.

For better and for worse, that had much more of an influence on the studio than Code Geass ever did.

Then again, it is basically a fallacy to assume that old-school Sunrise wasn't rather uneven too.

Like literally (in the original sense) every studio, Sunrise have had their ups and downs. They've had golden ages and periods of darkness. This is all part of the grand cycle.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would certainly agree that straight up decay wouldn't be the correct look, but it still seemed really sterile and dull. You're certainly right to single out his living room though, it looks like something a C-tier studio would have created.

Though I agree with your comments on the "deacy", I did have his room in mind when I made that comment.

Sterile as fuck. And no real house in Japan would waste space on such huge doors.

Love, Election and Chocolate 10

Well... Chisato becomes completely broken. Was worried she was gonna come back with a knife and not some chocolate for a moment there (maybe because the main character is named Yuki...) :p

Where are her parents though? And shouldn't she have had some kind of help with this years ago?

Finally get to know about that girl from the start of the show as well, and a really strange reveal about Morishita.

cajunator

Banned
When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace 01

This is very wacky stuff. THIS is a Literature Club with interesting activities.
So what if its Chuuni? I like chuuni stuff. Chuunis are fun people. I might grow older and take on adult responsibilities, but I will always keep in touch with my child side. Chuunis live that way. As long as you dont let that aspect consume your entire lifestyle.
Anyway, Hatoko is the best girl ,and Im glad I jumped aboard her bandwagon when I saw the artwork.
I have NO idea where this is going or even if it is going anywhere but its going to be enjoyable like Amagi Park.

phaze

Code Geass 01

Interesting yet silly premise. Let's see where this goes.

Wanted to try this at one time but I hear it gets bad after a while. + The character designs are Clannad level of atrocious.

Kyousougiga ONA's 1-5

While watching this old ass and long PV for KG, I realised with dread that I haven't seen a large number of those cuts. The duel, the chess game, few shots of that mysterious rabbit and more. Having already watched the episode 0 which, as I take it, is pretty much the original ONA. I went for the 5 short episodes that were released later. And unfortunately, no sight of scenes that caught my attention in the PV. Oh well. It's clear there were some major rewrites in the story as the
Inari vs Lady Koto
fight is nowhere to be found in the TV show if I recall correctly. They changed Aramata's origin too. The 5 eps served later as the groundwork for first 5 episodes of the 2013 series. Sans some short cuts that didn't make it. Overall the TV show is the version to see with episode 0 to be watched after finishing it or at least after episode 6.

Watamote 12 [END] [Watchbet Penalty Complete]

What a waste of potential at the end there. Last episode actually made it feel like Tomoko was progressing, at least somewhat. The end of this episode kind of throws away all of that. I didn't find Tomoko particularly endearing. Felt bad for her at times but it was nothing that she couldn't control. The funny moments in the show are mainly the references sprinkled throughout the show.

I honestly can't say this really lives up to Silver Links previous works like Hetalia or Baka & Test. The two I mentioned are funny, self aware and at least show some sort of progression. This feels like it ended where it started, back at square one.

As I mentioned the show has some great references to other great works and this episode wasn't different.

The show is very one note. That's all there is to say really.

At least the OP was cool.

cajunator

Banned
Wanted to try this at one time but I hear it gets bad after a while. + The character designs are Clannad level of atrocious.

Kyousougiga ONA's 1-5

While watching this old ass and long PV for KG, I realised with dread that I haven't seen a large number of those cuts. The duel, the chess game, few shots of that mysterious rabbit and more. Having already watched the episode 0 which, as I take it, is pretty much the original ONA. I went for the 5 short episodes that were released later. And unfortunately, no sight of scenes that caught my attention in the PV. Oh well. It's clear there were some major rewrites in the story as the
Inari vs Lady Koto
fight is nowhere to be found in the TV show if I recall correctly. They changed Aramata's origin too. The 5 eps served later as the groundwork for first 5 episodes of the 2013 series. Sans some short cuts that didn't make it. Overall the TV show is the version to see with episode 0 to be watched after finishing it or at least after episode 6.

Code Geass is the best kind of "bad" you can possibly ever imagine. Its delicious junkfood. So bad for you, but so GOOD.

Erigu

[Steins;Gate]
Wait,
who said Mayuri's death is connected to SERN-controlled future? I don't see why you can't have another timeline where SERN controls the future but Mayuri is alive.
That's how they explain all the stuff Okabe has to do.
He's in an Attractor Field/group of timelines that leads to a SERN-controlled future... but also, for some reason, comes with Mayuri dying that one summer no matter what. The solution he's given? Going back to the original Attractor Field (where Kurisu is the one who dies... and we get World War 3 instead). And he does so by preventing the SERN-controlled future.

it still kind of irks me that it's basically an 8 character universe.
I guess it's a form of sekai-kei? If I'm getting the idea of sekai-kei right? ... And if there is an agreed-upon definition of sekai-kei in the first place?
Basically, all that complicated and muddy "real world stuff" that the audience (assumed to be relatively socially awkward?) doesn't know or care about is ignored altogether or merely a caricatural piece of cardboard (
SERN = absolutely evil part of the absolutely evil Committee of 300 that's always up to no good and that's all the exposition you need and get
), and in the end everything will depend on the main character and his/her (but probably "his"!) relationship with the few members of his social circle anyway...

While it is a bit contrived in that way, have you seen The butterfly Effect? Same idea.
Similarly, no matter what someone did in that movie there was always one predetermined outcome on that set of timelines that had to happen no matter what the person did to try to change it.
I've seen the movie, but that's not how I remember it. I seem to remember
there was no one predetermined outcome, just a protagonist changing history in order to try and "make things better" and finding out over and over again that he simply can't predict the long-term consequences (hence the title). Which always turned out to be horrible in the movie, yes, but in vastly different ways.
(... And until, in a reverse It's a Wonderful Life fashion, he reasons that his love interest would be better off had she never met him in the first place (or had he never been born, in the other ending), and bingo, that one works. Negativity saves the day!)

I'll admit from what I've seen so far, the show's definitely not perfect. If I thought really hard about it, I probably could point out many flaws with its time-travel shenanigans.
But even so, I think the concept in of itself is interesting and the conflict that happens later on with Okabe and the dilemma that most of the side characters go through is effective enough to carry the show.
I'd put it somewhere with Back to the Future: as a time travel story, it has some serious holes, but it still manages to be fairly engaging if you choose not to think too hard about the SF aspect.
What's unfortunate is that Steins;Gate does put more emphasis on the science aspect than Back to the Future, and that sets higher expectations in that area...

I generally use the rule of thumb that if time travel/dimension hopping is introduced as a plot element or is a major plot element not to think about it too much as there will always be plot holes in time travel/dimension hopping stories. This is true not just for anime but for manga, games, movies, books, etc.
It seems a lot of people do that, and I think that's unfortunate. Although, considering how writers (especially in movies and on TV) generally handle the material, I can certainly understand why the bar has been lowered...

Andrew J.

So, I decided to flick through Cross Ange 01. I want to see if this show really is Fukuda at his SEED-iest. A few things...

- It looks like a Fukuda trainwreck. The first episode does not give me a good impression at all. It could be deliberate. I want to believe that Cross Ange is setting up all this awful shit so the show does a complete 180, plot-wise and turns out to be good, and people praise it as the second coming of Code Geass S1. .

The second coming of the first season? Not a chance. If it's not the second coming of R2, it'll only be because it's too lewd, mark my words.

Branduil

The only time travel stories that come close to making sense are the ones where trying to change the past is futile. And even then, you can still end up with grandfather paradoxes.

cajunator

Banned
[Steins;Gate]

That's how they explain all the stuff Okabe has to do.
He's in an Attractor Field/group of timelines that leads to a SERN-controlled future... but also, for some reason, comes with Mayuri dying that one summer no matter what. The solution he's given? Going back to the original Attractor Field (where Kurisu is the one who dies... and we get World War 3 instead). And he does so by preventing the SERN-controlled future.

I guess it's a form of sekai-kei? If I'm getting the idea of sekai-kei right? ... And if there is an agreed-upon definition of sekai-kei in the first place?
Basically, all that complicated and muddy "real world stuff" that the audience (assumed to be relatively socially awkward?) doesn't know or care about is ignored altogether or merely a caricatural piece of cardboard (
SERN = absolutely evil part of the absolutely evil Committee of 300 that's always up to no good and that's all the exposition you need and get
), and in the end everything will depend on the main character and his/her (but probably "his"!) relationship with the few members of his social circle anyway...

I've seen the movie, but that's not how I remember it. I seem to remember
there was no one predetermined outcome, just a protagonist changing history in order to try and "make things better" and finding out over and over again that he simply can't predict the long-term consequences (hence the title). Which always turned out to be horrible in the movie, yes, but in vastly different ways.
(... And until, in a reverse It's a Wonderful Life fashion, he reasons that his love interest would be better off had she never met him in the first place (or had he never been born, in the other ending), and bingo, that one works. Negativity saves the day!)

I'd put it somewhere with Back to the Future: as a time travel story, it has some serious holes, but it still manages to be fairly engaging if you choose not to think too hard about the SF aspect.
What's unfortunate is that Steins;Gate does put more emphasis on the science aspect than Back to the Future, and that sets higher expectations in that area...

It seems a lot of people do that, and I think that's unfortunate. Although, considering how writers (especially in movies and on TV) generally handle the material, I can certainly understand why the bar has been lowered...

I would argue though that in Butterfly Effect
Her being better off without him no matter what
IS the predetermined outcome because he cannot change it no matter what he does. Similar to how
Okabe cannot save Mayuri in those timelines no matter what he does either
In both shows, the overall outcome is the same but may have different ways of happening. But
his GF still has a terrible life and Mayuri still dies in every single instance
So really they are pretty similar.

Goldfish Warning! Episodes 1-46 + the Movie (21 mins) or Ojamajo Doremi the choice is yours.

I'll come back to you when I am done with my G Gundam watchbet.

But looking at your list I gotta say I am nervous. My go to watchbet anime isn't very popular with some on GAF here and even more so with Gundam fans. May have to choose something else. Also I have concluded my favorite show is better when someone watches of their own volition and not being forced through it. So....

...yeah I'll get back to you when I am done with G Gundam.

The only time travel stories that come close to making sense are the ones where trying to change the past is futile. And even then, you can still end up with grandfather paradoxes.

I don't care if the rules necessarily make complete sense. Primer was a mindfuck at first and only got more coherent after watching it multiple times.

Trinity Seven 1
I felt the adaptation kept true to the contents of the manga from what I remember. This show will def be my guilty pleasure this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom