• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jeff

Fuck that. Give me something good like Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.
I'm reminded of when you crushed my dreams about this last year. Oh the things that could have been with that Pillow soundtrack. Oh well. It'll never happen now.

Nope!

(Well, some liked it, clearly, but I'm not one of them.)
Hey that's not fair. The first 2/3's of the movie are at least consistent with the series' bizarre logic in the first place. It's only in the last third where they realise they have no time (no pun intended) left and just rush through a terrible conclusion as an excuse for a happy ending.

Also, Happy Belated Birthday to BassForever (Oct 4th) and our resident yuri expert who has been consumed by something, SDBurton (Oct 5th).

Edit: Top of the page ma.

Jex

You'll have to excuse me for going on for an old man rant...

I was scrubbing through Akatsuki no Yona and whilst it looked thoroughly average my time wasn't completely wasted. I happened to stumble across a scene concerning arranged marriages and the discussion that played out reminded me of a far better anime, one that most of you probably haven't even heard of. Which is crazy considering it's from the creator of Moribitio. I know, I know, you're already on the edge of your seat, right? Well, I'm getting there, just hold on a second.

So, back to Akatuski no Yona, as is so often the case in these historical anime, the girl has no interest in an arranged marriages and instead wishes to marry 'for love'. Now, leaving aside Akatuski specifically, what we generally see happen in this scenario is the girl manages to persuade her family to allow her to "marry for love" and everyone lives happily ever after. I feel that this particular story trope greatly misrepresents both the powerlessness of women in the past as well as idea of marriage.

As you may already be aware, the idea of 'marrying for love' is a very modern invention, one that has only been around for a couple of hundred years ago. Arranged marriages have basically been the most commonly used form of marriage for an extremely long time. Therefore, whenever I see a character in a historical setting take up the cause of 'marrying for love' it tends to feel false to me.

Which is all a very long winded way of getting to the show I actually wanted to talk about. Erin (2009), also known as Kemono no Soja or Beast Player Erin. This 50 (!) episode anime is based off the works Nahoko Uehashi, who you will probably know as the creator of Seirei no Moribito/Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. The reason you've probably never heard of this show is because it looks like a cheaply made, unappealing kids anime with zero bad-ass sword fights. I mean, check out this sexy screenshot:

erinactione3u55.png

It really makes you want to rush out and watch the series, right? Well, in reality, you should watch this show despite it's visual deficiencies because the original source material and thus the actual writing of the show is actually pretty damn good.

erinmedicine7buui.png

The main character, Erin, is a thoroughly charming and engaging protagonist who actually grows and develops throughout the course of the series on her quest to become a skilled healer of fantastical beasts like her mother. Along the way she'll encounter and overcome many challenges. She's somewhat reminiscent of Nausicaa except a little more grounded and prone to failure than the somewhat perfect Nausicaa.

eringirlecuca.png

To get back to where this all started, the episode where I realised that the show wouldn't be some run-of-the-mill fluff was a story concerning an arranged marriage. One of the girls in the village, Soh-Juh, has been engaged to marry the son of a chief in another village. As you can see in the image above, she's not exactly thrilled at the prospect of leaving her whole life behind to marry someone she's never even met.

What's interesting about this particular story is how it's resolved. Soh-Juh comes down with a serious illness and the village elders are concerned, not because the girl might die but because if she does die they'll be in trouble as they've already received the dowry for the marriage. It would make them look bad if they then couldn't follow through on the marriage. That's surprisingly dark.

Eventually, the girl is cured and at the end of the episode she goes through with the marriage proceeds to leave her village,and her whole life behind. The show neither celebrates nor condemns the decision she makes to go through with the arranged marriage, it simply reflects the reality that women had very few options in their lives.

erindress9ju68.png

The fact that what is essentially a children's (fantasy!) anime can handle this subject matter in such a mature, and even-handed manner where most shows would romanticise the subject, speaks volumes about the quality of the writing. Because the the girl isn't magically given a way to escape her fate, the story forces you to confront an unpleasant truth about how the world used to work. This gives the text a sense of weight and authenticity that it otherwise wouldn't have.

Anyway, the whole show is available here http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/erin and I'd urge people to check it out.

Even though I know you wont. Yes, you!

sonicmj1

Honestly it's not a big deal unless you want it to be a big deal. The scene is used mostly for narration/characterization purposes, to establish that Sento is at his house and that again she's emotionless for the most part.

It's really unneeded in anime form as the voice actor had previously stated all of her lines in a deadpan manner. I could see something like that more necessary in the light novels as the audience/reader doesn't have the visual/auditory cues. A scene like that in the books would firmly establish how 'off' she was.

It's not the most subtle of ways to do characterization but Gatoh was never exactly subtle anyway.

All of that said, seemingly nobody in the show cares so there's no reason for the audience to either. Well unless you want to beat your dick into a sock when you see bare 2D ass. In which case, let me recommend Fumoffu's bath house episode.
The real confusing thing about that scene is how she puts on her socks before her underwear.

Garo 01

Looks like the ass shots this season don't just belong to the ladies like usual. Funny I don't see anyone bitching about this.

Anywho. Went into this totally blind and again I am left impressed. I certainly wasn't expecting dudes fighting demons in CG armor, but hell I'll take it as it is a departure from the usual and I actually found the armor designs to be pretty damn cool as well. Gonna keep on keeping on with this one.

Amagi Brillaint Park 1

Opening: Surprisingly good. Didn't honestly think I'd actually like it.
Ending: Earth > Fire > Wind > Water. The song was okay.

First things first,

SydOwdp.png

Thank you based Kyoani for that delicious Sento ass.

Making my day feel even better.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the episode.

Kanie seems like a pretty good lead, despite the whole narcissist thing. Usually don't like those type of characters, so I'm hoping for a minimum of those instances.

Sento is just great.

Like its to early to call, but she might just end up being one of those rare cases where the main girl is actually best girl.

Both make a good pair and their interactions with each other and to the attractions was just plain fun.

Jarmel

Banned
The real confusing thing about that scene is how she puts on her socks before her underwear.

Hahahaha oh god

I don't know if you've read the manga (it might be in the LN too) but instead of Kanye closing the door, he actually stares and goes into this huge mind rant about what type of person puts on her kneesocks before her underwear.

Like he starts to have a meltdown over that.

cajunator

Banned
I'm reminded of when you crushed my dreams about this last year. Oh the things that could have been with that Pillow soundtrack. Oh well. It'll never happen now.

Hey that's not fair. The first 2/3's of the movie are at least consistent with the series' bizarre logic in the first place. It's only in the last third where they realise they have no time (no pun intended) left and just rush through a terrible conclusion as an excuse for a happy ending.

Also, Happy Belated Birthday to BassForever (Oct 4th) and our resident yuri expert who has been consumed by something, SDBurton (Oct 5th).

Edit: Top of the page ma.

Happy belated birthdays yall!

I was scrubbing through Akatsuki no Yona and whilst it looked thoroughly average my time wasn't completely wasted. I happened to stumble across a scene concerning arranged marriages and the discussion that played out reminded me of a far better anime, one that most of you probably haven't even heard of. Which is crazy considering it's from the creator of Moribitio. I know, I know, you're already on the edge of your seat, right? Well, I'm getting there, just hold on a second.

So, back to Akatuski no Yona, as is so often the case in these historical anime, the girl has no interest in an arranged marriages and instead wishes to marry 'for love'. Now, leaving aside Akatuski specifically, what we generally see happen in this scenario is the girl manages to persuade her family to allow her to "marry for love" and everyone lives happily ever after. I feel that this particular story trope greatly misrepresents both the powerlessness of women in the past as well as idea of marriage.

As you may already be aware, the idea of 'marrying for love' is a very modern invention, one that has only been around for a couple of hundred years ago. Arranged marriages have basically been the most commonly used form of marriage for an extremely long time. Therefore, whenever I see a character in a historical setting take up the cause of 'marrying for love' it tends to feel false to me.

Which is all a very long winded way of getting to the show I actually wanted to talk about. Erin (2009), also known as Kemono no Soja or Beast Player Erin. This 50 (!) episode anime is based off the works Nahoko Uehashi, who you will probably know as the creator of Seirei no Moribito/Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. The reason you've probably never heard of this show is because it looks like a cheaply made, unappealing kids anime with zero bad-ass sword fights. I mean, check out this sexy screenshot:

erinactione3u55.png

It really makes you want to rush out and watch the series, right? Well, in reality, you should watch this show despite it's visual deficiencies because the original source material and thus the actual writing of the show is actually pretty damn good.

erinmedicine7buui.png

The main character, Erin, is a thoroughly charming and engaging protagonist who actually grows and develops throughout the course of the series on her quest to become a skilled healer of fantastical beasts like her mother. Along the way she'll encounter and overcome many challenges. She's somewhat reminiscent of Nausicaa except a little more grounded and prone to failure than the somewhat perfect Nausicaa.

eringirlecuca.png

To get back to where this all started, the episode where I realised that the show wouldn't be some run-of-the-mill fluff was a story concerning an arranged marriage. One of the girls in the village, Soh-Juh, has been engaged to marry the son of a chief in another village. As you can see in the image above, she's not exactly thrilled at the prospect of leaving her whole life behind to marry someone she's never even met.

What's interesting about this particular story is how it's resolved. Soh-Juh comes down with a serious illness and the village elders are concerned, not because the girl might die but because if she does die they'll be in trouble as they've already received the dowry for the marriage. It would make them look bad if they then couldn't follow through on the marriage. That's surprisingly dark.

Eventually, the girl is cured and at the end of the episode she goes through with the marriage proceeds to leave her village,and her whole life behind. The show neither celebrates nor condemns the decision she makes to go through with the arranged marriage, it simply reflects the reality that women had very few options in their lives.

erindress9ju68.png

The fact that what is essentially a children's (fantasy!) anime can handle this subject matter in such a mature, and even-handed manner where most shows would romanticise the subject, speaks volumes about the quality of the writing. Because the the girl isn't magically given a way to escape her fate, the story forces you to confront an unpleasant truth about how the world used to work. This gives the text a sense of weight and authenticity that it otherwise wouldn't have.

Anyway, the whole show is available here http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/erin and I'd urge people to check it out.

Hmm. I might check some of it out later. It sounds vaguely interesting somehow.

Nice write-up. That show's premise actually seems pretty interesting.

Is this show purely episodic like Black Jack? Or does it have an overarching plot of some sorts?

Either way, if the show has some thought-provoking episodes like the one you described in fantasy setting, it sounds like it could just be my thing. I might just watch this alongside Doremi once I finish Steins;Gate.

Jex

Nice write-up. That show's premise actually seems pretty interesting.

Is this show purely episodic like Black Jack? Or does it have an overarching plot of some sorts?

Either way, if the show has some thought-provoking episodes like the one you described in fantasy setting, it sounds like it could just be my thing. I might just watch this alongside Doremi once I finish Steins;Gate.

It's an overarching story.

I don't want to over-play the tone of the show re: social commentary, it's still a somewhat grounded kids/teenagers show but it just happens to deal with more serious material than most.

I know this is weird for me to say as a promoter of the series, but I don't want to over-sell the show because it's got a number of problems (lack of budget in places, recycling footage for flashbacks) etc I just think the show is worth checking out despite it's somewhat obvious flaws.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hearing people describe The Seven Deadly Sins as a budget Fairly Tale is pretty hilarious considering people already describe Fairy Tale as budget One Piece.

Honestly, Seven Deadly Sins was more budget Akame Ga Kill with some stupid and shitty Fairy Tale fnaservice and 'jokes' thrown into the mix.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I was scrubbing through Akatsuki no Yona and whilst it looked thoroughly average my time wasn't completely wasted.
HMMMM.

You know, I remember this from when it first aired, but for whatever reason I never checked it out. I think I wrote off all fantasy at that point.

That said, there was that show two seasons ago that featured an arranged marriage. It worked out in that the couple who were forced to marry would eventually fall in love with each other though.

I know this is weird for me to say as a promoter of the series, but I don't want to over-sell the show because it's got a number of problems (lack of budget in places, recycling footage for flashbacks) etc I just think the show is worth checking out despite it's somewhat obvious flaws.

That's all right. A lot of the shows I really like have obvious flaws as well. If it's a decent story with decent characters and some thought-provoking episodes like the one you mentioned before, I shouldn't have too big of a problem with it.

Amagi Brilliant Park 1:
Well, the first thing to be said is that this is definitely not Hyouka. This is normally the point where a reviewer would then hasten to add "but that's not necessarily a bad thing in of itself", but I'm going to say, no, it's absolutely a bad thing, and this is objectively inferior to Hyouka. Not that that means too much, because 95% of all things are vastly inferior to Hyouka.

Takemoto is clearly directing his heart out here. The episode has some really interesting directorial tricks, particularly with regards to the portrayal of motion, and the art in general is fairly strong (although the character designs are average at best). Writing wise, it's not quite as strong, although it does some interesting things. The premise is potentially good, but I don't necessarily have a huge amount of faith that it won't quickly become about magical girlfriends and the amazing harem protagonist. But just viewed on the first episode alone, it's okay. My hope is that Takemoto will do his best to elevate the source material.

Also, less than a minute to nudity. This is definitely not 'classy' in the way that Hyouka was.

Added to the backlog. Your writeup makes it sound right up my alley.

I actually do this, although I accept that I'm very weird about socks (last thing I take off before getting in the shower, first thing I put on after getting out, and I sleep with socks on, because I hate ever being barefoot).

Hugstable

Banned
Log Horizon 6:

19KAqGX.png

Started watching this recently and I love this background art. Starting to finally set up the next quest
and Shiroe finally joins a guild!
Really liking this so far, never watched it before because I was scared it was gonna be something like SAO, but they actually make this feel like an MMO anime. Gives good descriptions of different MMO terms for those who haven't played, but I love how everything is done, like having the tank do the Aggro shout, awesome binds and debuffs. Really enjoyed the animation for the fights so far too. Really interested to see where all this goes.

Michiko to Hatchin 5-6

two parter. Wasn't feeling this one. The pacing was really weird and the energy of the previous episodes wasn't there

sonicmj1

Amagi Brilliant Park 1:
Well, the first thing to be said is that this is definitely not Hyouka. This is normally the point where a reviewer would then hasten to add "but that's not necessarily a bad thing in of itself", but I'm going to say, no, it's absolutely a bad thing, and this is objectively inferior to Hyouka. Not that that means too much, because 95% of all things are vastly inferior to Hyouka.

Takemoto is clearly directing his heart out here. The episode has some really interesting directorial tricks, particularly with regards to the portrayal of motion, and the art in general is fairly strong (although the character designs are average at best). Writing wise, it's not quite as strong, although it does some interesting things. The premise is potentially good, but I don't necessarily have a huge amount of faith that it won't quickly become about magical girlfriends and the amazing harem protagonist. But just viewed on the first episode alone, it's okay. My hope is that Takemoto will do his best to elevate the source material.

Also, less than a minute to nudity. This is definitely not 'classy' in the way that Hyouka was.

I have a little hope that it's not going to devolve into harem antics because it feels like this episode sets a clear roadmap for the rest of the series. How is the lead going to revive the park and get all the people they need to show up? Well, he has to fix all the attractions that they screwed up. So you can spend an episode on getting that music guy inspired enough, or fixing the chemistry between the four fairies, or repairing the flower ride, and there's enough stuff screwed up here that that'll fill a lot of time.

That's probably wishful thinking, though.

I have a little hope that it's not going to devolve into harem antics because it feels like this episode sets a clear roadmap for the rest of the series. How is the lead going to revive the park and get all the people they need to show up? Well, he has to fix all the attractions that they screwed up. So you can spend an episode on getting that music guy inspired enough, or fixing the chemistry between the four fairies, or repairing the flower ride, and there's enough stuff screwed up here that that'll fill a lot of time.

That would be the hope, for sure. But the large amount of anime girls, the opening/ending, and it being a light novel series don't leave me with a lot of hope that it won't wind up with some amount of harem hijinks, with some magical girlfriends.

The alternative would definitely be a lot more interesting. A show that really did center around the main character attempting to revive the theme park, fix up the attractions, and get everyone inspired again could be quite interesting.

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 1

Opening: Still not on the same level as the the first two openings, but this is better than the previous one.
Ending: This. This was good.

It's like there never was a break at all.

Shocked to see Mido do something nice.

Don't recall that ever happening last season.

Akatsuki no Yona 1

Glad I was warned about the surprising amount of comedy in this, not that it really would have hampered my enjoyment one way or the other. Personally I've never had a problem with shifts into crazy comedy in serious anime like FMA:B. Hellsing Ultimate, or Akame Ga Kill and it really didn't bother me much here. Yona is annoying but as it's an origin for shit getting real it's fine with me. Made it a bit too obvious who the bad guy was going to be but overall fairly enjoyable and I look forward to seeing more.

Edit: I do like how DTL went from saying the anime was "boring" when I told him the premise (girl princess must escape and become warrior princess after her father is killed) to "OMG must see" when I told him it looked like it may have some reverse harem in it as the OP shows a bunch of pretty boys

Phantom Thief Joker

Seems very well done, but the whole time I'm watching it a voice in my ear is whispering "go catch up on Detective Conan" so I'll put this on indefinite hold until I make time to catch up on that. Certainly not bad by any means

Mature

Phantom Thief Joker

Seems very well done, but the whole time I'm watching it a voice in my ear is whispering "go catch up on Detective Conan" so I'll put this on indefinite hold until I make time to catch up on that. Certainly not bad by any means
Sometimes we should obey the voices in our head.

Anohana - Episode 2

Rintendo bringing old friends together using the power of Nokemon.

At the moment I'm trying to guess what Menma's wish actually is. From the 'clues' I've seen I think it may be
that all of them stay friends. As they must all be together for the wish to take place.
Not sure if that is truely the case but guessing makes the journey a bit more fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Forall Gundam 1:
Since G-Reco is airing and it's total nonsense, I figure this is a good time to finally watch Forall Gundam, the most vaunted of non-OVA, non-movie, "UC-era", Tomino-directed Gundams.

iQxjYrRDFcTSP.jpg

3 minutes to nudity.

I've heard rumours of Tomino's editing prowess from trustworthy sources like Gundam Sousei, where he was referred to as a "god of editing", and the G-Reco thread, and I get to see his legendary abilities here. The first episode encapsulates something like 2 years. Laura reaches Earth, almost drowns, gets saved by royal lolis, gets a job in the mines of the loli family, becomes chaffeur for the loli family, and then the real plot begins. The thing is, there are no transition scenes. Each time frame cuts instantly to the next with no real point of reference for how fast time is passing. It's almost as if Tomino felt that transitional scenes/dialogue were beneath him, and that he was in a hurry to get to the meat of the story. Which brings up the question of why we needed Laura to land 2 years before the story begins. I guess to establish tone and setting. But if you're going to do that, you might as well put some effort into it rather than railroad through content you find "boring". Also, it breaks one of the cardinal rules of serialized television, which is that the first few episodes needs to answer the question of: "Why should I, the viewer, care about this?"

I notice old anime tend use and abuse imagery and themes from feudal Europe. Many of the older Gundams made use of that setting, as well as LOGH, Crest of the Stars, Space Battleship Yamato, etc. Coincidentally, these series were all sci-fi/space opera. I wonder if this is due to the influence of Western properties, like Star Wars, or earlier anime like Rose of Versailles and Anne of Green Gables. Remember back when studios adapted literary classics, instead of chewni self-insert harem fanservice trash?

Yeah, good times.

Funnily enough, this is not a harem series. There are cases of love-triangle, but no one character hogs all the girls.

Edit: that said, Sommelier has a killer body and the girls aren't blind :p
SO it's not a harem show, it's just basically a harem show? :p

I guess the question is, is this a 'well only one/two girls actually love him despite the harem setting' situation, or just the generic haremey-comedy stupidity that episode one sort of seemed to suggest to me. Regardless the show wasn't particularly good, though, so I don't know if it really matters which one of the two it is...

Still mad at myself that I stayed up til 5 am to watch this. I think I subconsciously hate myself, and do these things to intentionally cause myself pain. Oh well.
Heh... most people who watch a lot of anime probably feel this way. I mean, so much anime is so bad, and yet we watch it anyway... I can't deny that it's got to have something to do with why I actually watch some terrible animes too.

Can't wait for Cross Ange 02!
I am, at least, not going to watch THAT one... there are things I won't watch!

For instance, on a somewhat different but comparable note... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131929556&postcount=4346

How anyone older than, like, 15 could actually want to watch drivel like that, or Mahouka also (the series with perhaps the most hilariously overpowered protagonist imaginable), is kind of hard to understand, honestly. (I don't think I've ever actually continued watching something I despise as much as firehawk12 does SAO... I'd have dropped something that bad back near the beginning for sure...)

You can blame illustrator and editor for the "armor" part, because LN author originally wrote they wear actual armor, but illustrator ignore it and draw them like a mahou shoujo, and the editor side with illustrator , so author have to change some setting lol.

Well, MF Bunko J, guess the author next time should submit his work to other publisher like Fujimi Fantasia Bunko.
That's interesting to know. I know this kind of things happens, to characters of both genders, but it's certainly much more common for female ones. I do think that the original Conan books actually had him wearing armor, but the artist is the one who put him into those loincloths, but that's an exception, while for female characters they're usually like that from the start... too bad, I know they're trying to sex it up but it really does hurt the setting and make it harder to take the show seriously.

Of course, in Vanadis' case, the harem element does this as well.

Trinity Seven 01

Of the two shows this season with a "seven deadly sins" motif, I'm throwing my lot in with this one because it has more girls. I am consistent with my taste, at least. Though I'm still waiting for that other SD7 anime about the cute demon girls from Hobby Japan. Whatever happened to that one?

The color palette can say a lot about a show. And while it does have some perverted humor, the show's a lot bleaker than the last Tuesday show I was watching. When you begin with the world in ruins, things can only get more hopeful from there. In terms of tone, it's striking me as somewhere between Witchcraft Works and Magical Warfare, but there are numerous other comparisons I could make. And it has Ayaneru as a ninja girl, that's pretty rad.

ZAQ OP is alright, and the first of four EDs is pretty tech-y. The music is done by the same people behind Witchcraft Works, so that also explains the similarities. Arata's like a lesser Issei, and the way he reacted to the nude meeting - he was expecting the rebuttal and, in fact, welcoming it - is a good way to use something familiar while making it feel new. I like anime that feels like anime. Having the magic have an emotional component is also good. I swear I'll drop most of these bullet points after this week, but it's refreshing to see magic done in a way that treats it with a sense of wonder. Even F/SN with all its exposition, still maintains that ethereal sense of the unknown.

There's a lot of magical wars happening this season.
Oh right, Trinity Seven's anime is this season! So there is something I actually want to watch... the manga is pretty entertaining. As with too many things these days it has insane levels of tonal dissonance between the comedy and dark tragedy elements of the world, but it's good overall even so... or at least, good for a harem action series, which means 'tolerable and amusing'. :p I hope that the anime is as good as the manga.

cajunator

Banned

what the fuck is this?

All we need a Sailor Moon vibrator...
But of course there has to be one, right?

check jlist

Im hoping its something like Popotan or Jinrui where they fix a problem and move on gradually making everything better. Not a complicated story but an effective and good feeling one.

Narag

Forall Gundam 1:
Each time frame cuts instantly to the next with no real point of reference for how fast time is passing. It's almost as if Tomino felt that transitional scenes/dialogue were beneath him, and that he was in a hurry to get to the meat of the story.

Man, I remember liking that ep a lot and noticed it's been catching a lot of flak in here as of late. I'm not even sure Tomino was worried about a smooth transition as (pulling a firehawk and scrubbing through it!!) it feels like it's supposed to just be various snapshots of Loran's arrival on Earth with the passage of time marked by his hair. :lol

I suppose I can see how that first episode is rough and more of a prologue given the second ep kicks the main plot off and incorporates more of the usual Gundam tropes into itself. Maybe I've just been inundated by so much Tomino I can't see this stuff how others do anymore!

Argevollen 14

The secret to maxing our your link gauge with your mech? The need to protect your waifu nakama.

Something about the first half of the episode looked off, after the break things looked a lot clearned. I like the new rookie character she's a nice foil to show how far our lead has grown as a character in the series, too bad she has to "senpai senpai senpai" every where she goes.

Nafe

:( Goldfish Warning reminds me of Hitokage.

Yeah, its been two months and that still annoys me. :(

Smash threads are awful indeed. Too much vitriol thrown around regarding one's favourite character or another.

Yeah, personal attacks based on favorite characters was pretty sad. Many in the Smash community really need to just shut up about Ridley as well. It's really just more annoying than anything at this point.

Every time I've looked at the Persona community thread as well its been husbando/wifu wars. Maybe it's just bad timing or they really don't talk about anything else.

Yeah but Sailor Moon Crystal sucked. There was little I could say about it!

Well, I don't post much either really. I find many things are fairly straightforward, and I suppose it makes it harder for people to gauge your tastes, but I'm not as interested in simple I liked or didn't like this or that. That or many people will already post about something anyway. Enough people mentioned the last episode of Space Dandy has some really nice animation for example, so I don't really need to mention it myself when its already been stated a dozen times before.

So I gave a lecture today on Laura Mulvey and the concept of the Male Gaze. I have no idea if anyone here would be interested in the subject, but I'd be curious to see what people might think about the content, especially since I bring it up in passing here once in a while.

If you are already familiar with the subject, do you think I cover enough of the basics? If you aren't, do you understand Mulvey by the end of the slides (well, by the end of the first half anyway)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ja3b08iqg90q6k/Seminar 4.pptx?dl=0

I also recorded myself giving this lecture, but I don't know if I can handle putting that online. lol

Alright, how many people got spoiled on the end of Frozen there? Haha.

I suppose for me I was kind of 50/50 or 60/40. I wondered if they would have gone the route they ultimately didn't because of some societal or narrative norms. On the other hand I was thinking they would go the route they did because of all the themes in the movie. That or some might argue even the whole point of the movie.

I guess it could of been because of the very themes of the movie which allowed them to maybe subvert some audience members expectations. It's kind of funny though how the movie handles this "twist" compared to the other big "twist". This first one, to some maybe as we say, perhaps subverts expectations but the other almost goes out of its way to conform to narrative norms. Ultimately it hurts the film a little in my opinion and that opinion seems to be shared by many others.

It reminded me of your post the one time about Ghibli's The Borrower Arietty. There's the Aunt I think it was and the film kind of made it that she was a villian or antagonist more just for the sake of having an antagonist. Like it felt it had to fulfill some narrative checklist somewhat to the detriment of the story or film.

Anyone watch the new Ai Tenchi Muyo? Any good?

I think I'm the only one who watched it and I don't know anything about Tenchi Muyo lol.
It's only four minutes so you can't waste too much time on it (but I think it'll be fifty episodes), but I didn't really get it. He got bullied by cute girls, and beat up by cute girls. That's pretty much it.

Just knee socks on is a common fetish thing isn't it?

Lol anime butts

Knee socks are inferior to their older nee-san thigh highs

Akatsuki no Yona 1

Glad I was warned about the surprising amount of comedy in this, not that it really would have hampered my enjoyment one way or the other. Personally I've never had a problem with shifts into crazy comedy in serious anime like FMA:B. Hellsing Ultimate, or Akame Ga Kill and it really didn't bother me much here. Yona is annoying but as it's an origin for shit getting real it's fine with me. Made it a bit too obvious who the bad guy was going to be but overall fairly enjoyable and I look forward to seeing more.

Edit: I do like how DTL went from saying the anime was "boring" when I told him the premise (girl princess must escape and become warrior princess after her father is killed) to "OMG must see" when I told him it looked like it may have some reverse harem in it as the OP shows a bunch of pretty boys

The OP gave me that impression and then I went and checked the manga and saw that it is indeed a harem. DTL should be pleased with the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom