• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real-life stuff in Accel World gets pretty bad too. The main difference between it and SAO is that the main character isn't a perfect superman and has a character arc, and more importantly, the action is way way better than anything in SAO.

The action is just about the only thing that's good about Accel World. And the only thing worth watching from the series anyway.

Narag

What do you mean?
im talking about when somebody is defeated in accel world they lose burst link priveleges entirely.
They just have to live on without the game.
Im sure to some people they might as well be dead.

Basically that in they lose their character. Disconnecting them entirely is rough.

Instro

The real-life stuff in Accel World gets pretty bad too. The main difference between it and SAO is that the main character isn't a perfect superman and has a character arc, and more importantly, the action is way way better than anything in SAO.

He's an insufferable fat sad sack instead, who is mostly useless both in the real world and in the game world without someone kicking him in the ass to do something.

AW is completely awful when they are not in the game. Most of the story arcs are offensive to watch, much worse than anything present in SAO.

fertygo

You know, at least I can guarantee SAO not gonna bring wound in your life just like if you watching Little Busters to the finish.

Even if it's just set in the same world, I can't take it seriously after not one, but TWO
evil "genius" (and I use that fucking term more for the colloquialism than to imply intelligence) plots to use video games to take over the world have failed and
people still feel the need to plug shit into their brains.

I mean, come on!

:p

The thing is, I'm genuinely shocked at how each subsequent episode is worse than the last. There doesn't seem to be any end to the pure shit that came out of the guy's brain when he wrote this thing. This show is so bad it makes me wonder if I was wrong all along about Lost and Battlestar Galactica.

(And I say this as someone who both ironically and un-ironically bought a BD copy of Infinite Stratos for fuck's sake)
I dont find interest in hate watch but i'll say this:
You're giving too much credits into humanity to think that one incident will prevent people from using full dive especially if there are safeties this time around.
Study of current society shows IMO that human behavior doesnt work like that

What do you mean?
im talking about when somebody is defeated in accel world they lose burst link priveleges entirely.
They just have to live on without the game.
Im sure to some people they might as well be dead.

I thought the actual complete lost of burst link was way more generous with the loss of burst link being just get to 0 points. Characters could lose all the time, remember?

cajunator

Banned
I thought the actual complete lost of burst link was way more generous with the loss of burst link being just get to 0 points. Characters could lose all the time, remember?

No, you're right.
Thats what I meant by when you get defeated.
In lower stakes battles players just lose points.
In high stakes battles the entire playing privelege is on the line.

fertygo

He's an insufferable fat sad sack instead, who is mostly useless both in the real world and in the game world without someone kicking him in the ass to do something.

AW is completely awful when they are not in the game. Most of the story arcs are offensive to watch, much worse than anything present in SAO.

This.

I don't find SAO is that offensive, and I feel too much nitpick (its dumber than the show itself IMO) about it.. the main problem for me its just not that entertaining so far. AW far more dumb and offensive aside its amazing action content.

Because he's stupid. There's no reason to continue watching a show if you're not enjoying it in some way.
So true... if i dont enjoy something then i drop it.

They dont really hate those shows they are just tsundere.

"it's not like i watch this show because i like it or anything ... dont misunderstand!"

Yep just like that

cajunator

Banned
Accel World has some dumb shit but Kuroyukihime is a likeable character and Taku and the red king are pretty decent as well.
The only characters worthless enough to be suitable for SAO would be Noumi and Chiyu.
At least Chiyu has the catgirl avatar.

I agreed with that until the most recent arc, the
Asuna in a coma thing and everything associated with it is just as bad, if not worse than anything in Accel World.

The action is just about the only thing that's good about Accel World. And the only thing worth watching from the series anyway.
And this is pretty much where I stand.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sword Art Online - 17

HXt0P.png

Dat Imouto :chet!

As with most of the other episodes I spent my time either shaking my head or laughing at how absurd it is. Really Sugu? :lol

This takes the cake though:

Next Comiket is going to be glorious.

Maedhros

Accel World has some dumb shit but Kuroyukihime is a likeable character and Taku and the red king are pretty decent as well.
The only characters worthless enough to be suitable for SAO would be Noumi and Chiyu.

Taku is a dumb fuck whose girlfriend is interested in the MC's cock. How stupid can someone be?
Kuro-hime is just moe pandering shit, because she's not a good character outside her moe appearence.
Same with red king. She's fapping material.

If it wasn't for the in-game parts, AW would be one of the worst shows ever.

cajunator

Banned
I agreed with that until the most recent arc, the
Asuna in a coma thing and everything associated with it is just as bad, if not worse than anything in Accel World.

Its way worse than Accel World.
Nothing in the real lives of AW characters in the show is even remotely as ridiculous as SAO.
Unless im forgetting something.
Mostly its just lame haremshit and highschool angst kind of stuff.

I dont think anyone from Accel World could fit into Sword Art Online. Move Kirito from SAO to Accel World, and I think Accel World becomes even better. Noumi is a way better antagonist even, he actually makes one get negative feelings towards him, while the current antagonist in SAO is laughably inferior, and I dont think anyone honestly finds him believable.

cajunator

Banned
I dont think anyone from Accel World could fit into Sword Art Online. Move Kirito from SAO to Accel World, and I think Accel World becomes even better. Noumi is a way better antagonist even, he actually makes one get negative feelings towards him, while the current antagonist in SAO is laughably inferior, and I dont think anyone honestly finds him believable.

Nah keep Kirito's boring ass in SAO.
Although Haru is rather whiny.
Hes a more believable character though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Worse than death. $60 down the drain.
Kojima would be proud!

AW are far more entertaining, but no way its less infuriating lol. That just Kawahara's brand of writing.
A brand that seems to be popular - inexplicably so.

SAO 17:

Sugou's teeth must be made of mithril because he's chewing the fuck out of the scenery in the most obnoxious way possible. In terms of subtlety he's just below getting smacked in the face with a folding chair. I'm so happy that there's ~8 more episodes of this :lol
Even though you say it's just below, I feel like that's an insult to the WWE... heck, it's an insult to TNA! lol

Once again, I can't comprehend why this community actively encourages "hatewatches".
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's both intellectual and emotional. I guess it'd be like watching Glenn Beck rant for a couple of hours (or Rachel Maddow, if you swing the other way). It makes me think about why something is bad and why it evokes hatred in me.

With The Newsroom, it made me re-evaluate my thoughts on The West Wing and Sports Night and made me wonder if those were just flukes. With SAO, it makes me wonder why the crappiness of most harems don't offend me where SAO makes me hate everything associated with the medium/genre.

There's also the zeitgeist factor. If SAO was a show that came out a few years ago, it would never occur to me to watch it, even if I was told how notoriously bad it is. Like, I haven't watched Glass Fleet even though it went through that weird renaissance in AnimeGAF a while ago. Also, being a weekly show makes the commitment necessary to be much lower (even if it takes the same amount of time to watch).

Heh, fair enough. It really sounds more and more like a standard harem the more you guys talk about it.

little busters 4
and so another mental deficient (this time with annoying little fangs) joins the narcoleptic's harem. thanks key
I guess this is the "thing" this season.

I dont find interest in hate watch but i'll say this:
You're giving too much credits into humanity to think that one incident will prevent people from using full dive especially if there are safeties this time around.
Study of current society shows IMO that human behavior doesnt work like that
Sure, just because planes crash doesn't mean people stop flying. But this is like if someone made airplanes just so he could crash them on cue and once everyone found out about this stupid evil plan, they continued to fly anyway.

fertygo

Its way worse than Accel World.
Nothing in the real lives of AW characters in the show is even remotely as ridiculous as SAO.
Unless im forgetting something.
Mostly its just lame haremshit and highschool angst kind of stuff.

We deal with stuff like that on every AW episode dude. How can you forget ducky and jex's reaction and everyone else after watching a episode of AW?

Fat MC freaking out, sharing cable in the bed, NTR, and much more.

cajunator

Banned
We deal with stuff like that on every AW episode dude. How can you forget ducky and jex's reaction and everyone else after watching a episode of AW?

Fat MC freaking out, sharing cable in the bed, NTR, and much more.

I dunno.
None of it bothered me much.
It was more like "ok that was dumb but expected, and now this is going to happen".
It was more a case of me being familiar with this sort of writing and completely desensitized to it.
But even THAT did not prepare me for how insipid SAO is.

little busters 4

and so another mental deficient (this time with annoying little fangs) joins the narcoleptic's harem. thanks key

I'm consistently impressed by the ability of anime studios to take bad VN art and make it look even uglier when animated (or in a ton of still shots from what I've seen of LB). Luckily for them, most Key fans are probably blind at this point anyway,

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 31

Once upon a time, beanpeople were a thriving species, humans were just human and insects created the worlds first flying doctors service.

I'm consistently impressed by the ability of anime studios to take bad VN art and make it look even uglier when animated (or in a ton of still shots from what I've seen of LB). Luckily for them, most Key fans are probably blind at this point anyway,
lb4b.jpg

Dresden

Little Busters' anime designs are quite improved from the VN art. Not saying the art in the show seems to be good or anything, but at least it's not the VN.

How is Haru too perfect? I thought its clear he has anger issues, people hitting issues, and etc? However he is good designed character and one of my favorite this season.

He's an strong bad boy with a heart of gold who happens to excel in academics with out any real effort. It's kinda hard to be any more perfect than that.

Syrinx

Gunslinger Girl 11

Pretty intense ending. Oh, also, I want to reiterate: I'm watching the English dub, so I'm probably doing it wrong, but I don't care because the opening theme is fantastic.

Angelica basically pleads her way back onto the battlefield, and proceeds to fuck up massively (what was she thinking?). Marco tells her she's useless, because he's one of those douchebag handlers (who evidently didn't learn any lessons from the incident with Elsa and her handler). As the other girls are in the hospital to comfort her, she breaks down and wishes she could just die. Claes gets pissed and smacks her and tells her to kill herself if she wants to die.

Like Henrietta says, I think she got upset by this reminder, but more than anything, I think Claes thought Angelica was being selfish, seeing as how during the last mission Claes risked her life to save her, and now she's wishing for death.

I realize I'm probably the only one watching this episode now, but I like writing my thoughts on things. :)

I thought Cardcaptors was pretty cool, way back in the day. So innocent.
Oh thank god I'm not alone.
Every week I think about starting SAO just because you guys have set the expectations so low that I can't possibly be disappointed right?

I mean, it'll go one of two ways:

1) "This isn't that bad, AnimeGAF is crazy!"
or
2) "This is the worst thing ever created, I'l never doubt you again AnimeGAF"
3) "Give it to me again, Kawahara!"
So "that kind of stuff" = the whole thread? Okay, then.
Personally I don't mind it, but it's pretty pervasive. Especially since it ends up running together with the general shittalking that those shows get from watchers and non-watchers alike.

edit:
Syrinx said:
I realize I'm probably the only one watching this episode now, but I like writing my thoughts on things. :)
As you should! I'll probably be diving into Gunslinger Girl (dubbed!) soon. I'll try to keep your posts in mind when I do.

Bakuman 3 ep 4
tumblr_mcl2csX6gD1qbxqfpo3_500.png

Saiko makes the best faces. After all the suspense and drama it was good having a more toned down good episode. Seemed like everything was going fine in Ashirogi Muto's lives, I remember last season at this point in time we were dealing with Saiko and those serious issues.

Drama CD and Novels, I still dont get why the editorial staff would tell them that PCP would never get an anime or why Sasaki said its too early with the proposals they received. 25 chapters shouldnt be that early for their PCP to get an anime

wonzo

Banned
Ginga e Kickoff!! 22

It's nice to see
Reika finally score a goal
and they handled
losing the final's
pretty damn well. Far better than I was expecting really. The stuff with
coachie resigning
sounds dumb as hell but I'm sure everyone will talk him out of it.

sonicmj1

Gunslinger Girl 11

Pretty intense ending. Oh, also, I want to reiterate: I'm watching the English dub, so I'm probably doing it wrong, but I don't care because the opening theme is fantastic.

I'm pretty sure the OP is the same no matter what version you're watching. Definitely fantastic.

I don't think you should be so hard on Marco.
Do you remember how he behave for her before the memory loss started to set in? That experience really hurt him, and I think it gave him the impression that trying to get close to the cyborgs would only bring him pain, since they'd just forget him.
You're probably dead-on about Claes, though.

Don't feel bad about posting impressions. I'm curious to hear what you think of the end.

Syrinx

I'm pretty sure the OP is the same no matter what version you're watching. Definitely fantastic.

I don't think you should be so hard on Marco.
Do you remember how he behave for her before the memory loss started to set in? That experience really hurt him, and I think it gave him the impression that trying to get close to the cyborgs would only bring him pain, since they'd just forget him.
You're probably dead-on about Claes, though.

Don't feel bad about posting impressions. I'm curious to hear what you think of the end.

I honestly have been on a bit of a hiatus with this show, so I actually didn't remember that at first. You're right that he's had a hard time of it, but that doesn't excuse him to me,
especially in light of, like I said, the incident with Elsa's handler and how him treating her like shit ended for him.

The OP is the same in the original Japanese version too? Damn, now I feel bad for doing it wrong (not really).

Edit: Regarding my spoiler,
I realize that Section 2 tried to cover up that incident. But the other girls seemed to know about Henrietta's recreation of the events, so I think it's common knowledge there now?

Psycho Pass - 2

The doctor didn't get enough screen time. Akane gets points for walking around her apartment in a towel. This is still stupid.

Also, why is the lip synching so fucking awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom