• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Macross II: Lovers Again
MtYK4.png

You couldn't possibly hope to fit any more '90s into that if you tried. The MC has an attitude and isn't so conformist as to only have one color in his hair. Damn. There wasn't anything exceptionally bad about this, in fact, I don't think there's anything exceptional at all about this. Scenes with VF combat weren't bad to look at, but none of the choreography was solely unique or striking.

I can definitely see this getting a negative reception with it being the first followup anime to the superb SDF Macross. Not because it particularly sullies anything Macross related, but... There's not a whole lot that makes this Macross in the first place. The SDF is in it and so are VFs and Zentradi, but they could just as easily be switched out with any generic ship or alien race. In-fact, the story did bare some resemblance to SDFM's story, but instead of seeming like a note worthy parallel, it comes off as different anime all together that's trying to copy it. Kinda weird actually. Pretty meh altogether, but like I said, not especially offensive for any one reason. And at 6 episodes, there's not really a lot to complain about.

Next up, something I know is great: Macross Plus.

Gintama 192

Arc ends pretty nicely. Arc was pretty average though, the story wasn't bad but it wasn't outstanding either. Just an average Gintama arc (which is anyway above average compared to other shows so win-win either way).

wonzo

Banned
A weird question but do you have any idea which eps the new series will overtake the old?
At this pace it'd be somewhere around the the mid 80's as this has almost covered in 53 episodes what the original did in 62 (including the filler).

This season is boring, so as usual let's put all our hopes on next season (v.1):

Hopes? That list makes me depressed. At least there are a number shows from the Fall that will be continuing.

And Da Capo is getting a season 3 now? Why?

Edit: Oh, it looks like it's an adaptation of a new Da Capo VN.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chihayafuru is getting a 2nd season? HOLY SHIT

I just had the same reaction except for AKB0048.

I seriously had zero idea that there was going to be a continuation, but then again I never finished the first season anyway.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 53

Good episode that really captured the emptiness Kurapika was feeling, even if he didn't come off quite as intimidating as he did in the original series.

I think this ends the original run of the TV series and we're now moving into OVA territory. Gonna be fun since this arc is just ramping up.

Noirulus

I just had the same reaction except for AKB0048.

I seriously had zero idea that there was going to be a continuation, but then again I never finished the first season anyway.

What's the consensus on AKB0048, anyway? I believe a lot of you guys watched it because of Kawamori.

Grzi

From The New World - 05

A great episode destroyed (for me) by the art style change. I didn't really mind the weird direction style, it kind of fit into everything that was going on, but the visuals really ruined the experience for me, especially since the show looked amazing so far and developed a pretty unique style. I wouldn't mind if parts of the episode were animated this way, but to have the entire episode (and an important one at that) looking like this will create an unnecessary discrepancy with the rest of the show. It wasn't ugly or anything, just really weird and didn't fit with the style of the show, the characters looked really different, there were scenes I felt like I was watching Kaiba, and the shading reminded me of Sakamichi no Apollon, and while it looked okay there, here it looked like crap. By the end I was starting to get used to it and thought that it might not be so ugly, but then I saw the preview and realized how gorgeous the original style was and felt really disappointed again.

Visuals aside, the episode was really good.

Ultimadrago

This season is boring, so as usual let's put all our hopes on next season (v.1):

sonicmj1, get out here! It's backlog season again already.
Man, it feels like Summer just passed over too.

I care for nothing on this v1 chart (besides a curiosity for Chihayafuru S2, though I have to start and finish S1 first).

I'll watch/try out the following anyways:

AKB0048: Next Stage
Sasami-san
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Shows I care to follow

Continuing Space Brothers, Jojo and perhaps Psycho-Pass

OceanBlue

Clicky link if you so incline.

Haha, I see less shows that I think have the potential to be really intriguing like this season's and more shows that I think I'll like for more superficial reasons.

I'll probably try:
Sasami-san
Mondaiji etc
Vivid Red Operation
Senren Kagura (maybe?)
Puchimasu

I think Mondaiji could be pretty interesting, so I'm interested in seeing how that turns out. Of course, I'm more hyped for Sasami-san and Vivid Red Operation, but I expect those to be good and I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Mondaiji.

Oh right, just so I don't get left out of the list train:

Winter Hopes and Dreams:

Probably:
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Hanagai S2
Cuticle Tantei Inaba
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Senyuu

Short List of Stuff I'm Unsure Of But Will Probably End Up Watching Anyway:
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai kara Kuru sou desu yo?
Amnesia
Youkai Watch
Mangirl
Good Job Club
Yama no Susume
Kotoura-san

Still Haven't Watch the Earlier Seasons And Probably Won't By The Time This Airs:
Chihayafuru S2
Minami-ke Tadaima

Soma

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne Episode 04

iX0CgfRrCu4Vy.jpg

#TeamSilver making a strong argument this week.

Also dayum. Second half was :SDBurton as fuck.

Jex

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 1-36 [End]
They really don't make them like this anymore, do they? I watched Robotech when I was like eight, so this was a very interesting psuedo re-watch for me. Everything felt nostalgic and familiar, but the plot's twists and turns were new to me simply because I don't remember any of them
(Roy dies!? :()
[...]

Ever since I wandered into Macross Zero, I haven't been able to shake this Macross fever. So next up is Macross II: Lover's again. I've heard a few bad things about it, but since it's only a six episode OVA I'm not too worried.

You are a braver man than I. I look forward to your report.

From the New World 5

Hmm. I thought the editing worked (and quite enjoyed it) in the sense that, like the show as a whole, it wasn't aiming for narrative clarity but instead was meant to present a small fragment of a moment or part of the story. I drew a parallel to how in the first three episodes we skipped around a bunch and didn't really follow the traditional method of episodic storytelling, where each separate episode is a fully self-contained story, but instead we witnessed a bunch of different moments that didn't have a very strong relation to each other. I actually quite preferred this episode to #4, which had a much more coherent narrative, simply because I enjoyed the strange start/stop rhythm the editing gave to the episode (also, they actually did something this time, instead of just listening to a bunch of exposition). I do agree that the close-ups were overused, and the tempo of the cuts could have been slowed down somewhat.

Jex

After watching Psycho Pass episode 3 I must say that I'm a little disappointed in the series so far. It's clearly executing what it wants to execute competently and it's setting separates it from the rest of the crowd but is hasn't done anything interesting or daring with it's story or presentation. That may sound like an overly-harsh criticism for a show that's clearly aiming to be a procedural but I have high expectations. Unlike, say, Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure it can't survive or sustain my interest solely on the source of the source material being adapted.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zetsuen no tempest 1-4 - I'm glad I gave this a another chance - I still find the dialogue and overall plot to be kind of blah, but the action, direction, and the core relationship between the two leads is so good. The sense of impact when the characters use that "blink" move within the show is so fucking awesome too, can't wait for more action scenes later on in the series to utilize that, because it's so damn cool when they use it, especially in episode 3.

Instro

Zetsuen no tempest 1-4 - I'm glad I gave this a another chance - I still find the dialogue and overall plot to be kind of blah, but the action, direction, and the core relationship between the two leads is so good. The sense of impact when the characters use that "blink" move within the show is so fucking awesome too, can't wait for more action scenes later on in the series to utilize that, because it's so damn cool when they use it, especially in episode 3.

Admit it, you were amazed by all that sweet pipe swinging action.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
After watching Psycho Pass episode 3 I must say that I'm a little disappointed in the series so far. It's clearly executing what it wants to execute competently and it's setting separates it from the rest of the crowd but is hasn't done anything interesting or daring with it's story or presentation. That may sound like an overly-harsh criticism for a show that's clearly aiming to be a procedural but I have high expectations. Unlike, say, Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure it can't survive or sustain my interest solely on the source of the source material being adapted.
I think PSYCHO-PASS isn't really any different from any other urobuchi show in that regard. Once it starts getting into the main "arc' of the story, it's probably going get really entertaining in a similar vein to madoka and fate/zero.

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 106

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 107

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 108

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 109

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 110

Final thoughts on Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Prosit!
Recentgifs2.gif

Congratulations on completing the main OVA series, my LOGH comrade. However, you now have the option of wading through all the prequel material as well!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Winter '13 seems to have a pretty high uguu~ quotient. That said, I'll be trying at least the first episode of the following:

Sasami-san
AKB0048
Haganai S2
Love Live! (lol)
Amnesia
Chihayafuru S2
Cuticle Tantei Inaba
MMY
Senyuu

Seems pretty backloggy but there are 5-7 two-cour shows from this season to take into consideration.

Jex

I think PSYCHO-PASS isn't really any different from any other urobuchi show in that regard. Once it starts getting into the main "arc' of the story, it's probably going get really entertaining in a similar vein to madoka and fate/zero.

Well that seems to the formula of all his works so we'll have to see it appears here as well. I certainly assumed that, at some point, the 'main story' would kick in but I assume we're going to get more character development and stuff first. Alternatively it could just stick to being a procedural throughout it's run but that seems very unlikely.

Jex

Shinsekai yori 5

This show is proof that anime can be mysterious and dive into the unknown without being an annoying convoluted mess.

Suck it, Penguindrum.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Shigeyasu Yamauchi's direction and storyboard is the prefect definition of a confusing mess at times. What's worse is that, ironically, he produced one of the more nonsensical Penguin Drum episodes.
Well, being based on a novel helps a lot.
Ironically, so was Penguin Drum! Except not in the same way.

Hyouka End
Loved the last 2 episodes up until
the daydream fakeout, I seriously feel like I have been trolled
It had the opportunity to pass Dusk Maiden as my favorite show this year but it failed.

Any chance of a season 2?

Jex

Fairy Fucker Online 17

God, this show is just the stupidest shit ever. So even though Kirito picks a dude that looks exactly like him and uses the same god damned name, the sister
doesn't recognize him at all and starts the process of joining his harem
. What the fuck.

Then, for good measure, the idiotic meta plot just continues to explain how incompetent the Japanese government seems to be. The only thing that would justify this stupid meta plot is if the government was actually in on it and wanted a way to
social engineer its subjects
, but even then, it doesn't absolve the fact that all the players are fucking idiots.

But since AW is a sequel series, I don't even what to know how stupid this world gets 50 years from this point. Why would your burden a franchise with this shitty nonsensical mythology? I can only imagine how stupid AW is after the utter incompetence on the part of all the characters in this show.

To excuse this as just some shitty story written by a dude in high school would be an insult to highschoolers. SAO is clearly the masturbatory fantasies of someone who read a slightly less shitty cyberpunk novel and decided to write a story about how being good at video games makes him the best person ever.

(So of course, just like Twilight, it makes perfect sense that this show is fucking popular. God damn)
I was worried, for a moment, about the lack of 'rage' posts for SAO but I can always count on Firehawk12. A true believer in #hatewatch.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Well that seems to the formula of all his works so we'll have to see it appears here as well. I certainly assumed that, at some point, the 'main story' would kick in but I assume we're going to get more character development and stuff first. Alternatively it could just stick to being a procedural throughout it's run but that seems very unlikely.
I think the problem with PSYCHO-PASS is like most Urobuchi shows - the characterization isn't really much to write home about it, so it's not really interesting following them along in episodic procedural events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom