• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it was totally fine! I'm still cool, you guys! :c

image.php

madp

The Light of El Cantare
JUDGMENT DAY HAS ARRIVED

At least Jinrui is taking the top spot among shows that weren't already guaranteed sellers. That's the true #1!
except when it isn't: see the S1s of the S2s selling well this season

Over 56,000 units between SAO and Horizon, proving once and for all that otaku don't care about writing quality.

In fact, it's looking more and more like they actively prefer bad writing!

/XX/

Oh wow, that happened? I heard that something happened with the director, but I thought it was just the backlash to episode 4.
At least Takami Akai returned (well, he never really left the studio) recently to its previous position at GAiNAX, so all are amusing memories now. Many at the moment said the Spiral Nemesis was later incorporated as a representation of the anonymous force Mr. Akai criticized, but I don't buy that.

Some good moments, like the defense some 'channers' did of the episode in the comments section of the GAINAX Official Blog (there are two posts I made on it, I wrote nothing offensive but don't judge my rather embarrassing choice of pompous words):

グレン団活動報告「ドリル銀河に男の魂ッ!」: 第四話「顔が多けりゃ偉いのか?」
http://gainax.weblogs.jp/gurrenlagann/2007/04/post_8837/comments/page/11/#comments

What you're trying to tell me is that anime is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg5fR05st58
Orion Home Video old promo has nothing on this, man!

Depuis aujourd'hui, nous allons parler français à l'AniméGAF.
Je vais tenter, essayer et re-pratiquer... tout pour vous mon chéri amí ! (Believe it or not, this space before the exclamation mark is very important in French).

Per cert, vosaltres esteu tots benvinguts a parlá valencià, ¡se més simple, noias!

Also stop of fellating on FC Barcelona goddamn you are making me feel old in my days we talked about Bianchi's Boca or Rigo Sacchi's Milan or Del Bosque's 'Galácticos' Madrid.
Del Bosque's best achievement was appeasing the egos of all those "roosters in the hen", like the diplomatic pacificator or 'hombre tranquilo' he is touted as, but left too much leeway sometimes because of that, trying not to importunate anyone... do you remember Guti overboard moments? Or that he never had the balls to make Raúl step down just a little from his untouchable symbol status (it took Aragonés' stubbornness to finally drop him from the national team, and look how well that went!).

Now that I'm in a patriotic mood after these replies I'll say something I forgot to mention some days ago... Arrugas (Wrinkles) won NHK's The Grand Prix Japan Prize (http://www.nhk.or.jp/jp-prize/english/index.html)! Take that Japanese animation! Not even your country likes you anymore! 'Vamos todos... ¡España!¡España!¡España!'.

This image should be used more, I think.

All the good stuff is selling between 4k and 10k. Thats good.
And I thought you liked tsu ri ta ma, cajunator! :-(

Sounds like it will indeed be Kick-Heart. I wonder how backers will feel knowing that random Japanese fans who pay 2000yen for that event will get to see a work-in-progress version of the film before those who funded it. Unless they plan on streaming it for backers too, which would be a good move.
They also mention making it go to festivals around the globe and such prior to the authoring for the disc release, but they don't say if it is going to be available in other ways before that.

So with Sandy, stay safe AnimeGAF!
All the information I've seen on the news here are showing pretty scary stuff. I hope all of you are doing well, East Coast fellowmen!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Suite Precure - 06

Kanade was such a jerk in this episode. Souta just wanted to show his appreciation for having her as a sister and
she just blows up in his face for getting the kitchen a little dirty. :/
Hibiki laying that guilt trip on her was glorious though.

ROyYl.png
pMVUW.png

SOAey.png
tJfYa.png

Hibiki protecting her waifu. What a badass!

Pretty boys and some girls making fun of nations is back this Winter.

Hetalia: The Beautiful World, the fifth anime series inspired by Hidekaz Himaruya's Hetalia manga, is slated to begin streaming in Japan on January 25, 2013.

It is confirmed that Daisuke Namikawa (Italy), Hiroki Yasumoto (Germany), Hiroki Takahashi (Japan), Katsuyuki Konishi (America/Canada), Noriaki Sugiyama (United Kingdom), Masaya Onosaka (France), Yasuhiro Takato (Russia), and Yuki Kaida (China) are reprising their roles in the latest season.

I will say it does look like the character designs got updated this time. Much more prettier than before.

NewFresh

Some shows are impossible to watch in original Japanese though.
DBZ(Goku's voice & music)
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha

I would disagree with all of those. But it really isn't about what is better when you already have a sound engrained into you mind.

For me it's Akira. After watching it many times with the English dub (Including the first time I watched it), I can not watch it in Japanese. It may be better, but it just sounds wrong to me.

Metrotab

Banned
Yuru Yuri 11

I like how the show agrees with me: Kyouko is the definite centerpiece of the Amusement Club.

And the soundtrack in this episode reminded me of A Beautiful Mind starring Russell Crowe.

I can't wait for my eventual JoJo marathon. Taking it all in one sitting will be a glorious thing!

That was my plan, but after watching the first ep I just couldn't wait. "Just the tip", I thought. "Just to see what it's like". There's no turning back after that. Although I'm probably going to marathon it once it's all done.

Would anyone recommend the original JoJo anime? I definitely won't watch it until this one is done, don't want to spoil the experience, but it looked really good. It had that classic feel to it.

Geneijin

It clearly isn't really that bad, otherwise you wouldn't have so many people continuing to watch it - there's obviously stuff in it that people enjoy.

In this thread, certainly, the reactions seem to be mostly because it's super popular (and popularity generally causes extremes of opinion - how many people are "indifferent" to shows like Haruhi, or the KeyAni shows?) and because kayos wouldn't shut up about it.
Psh, if that were true, there would be Horizon haters.

BluWacky

Psh, if that were true, there would be Horizon haters.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in "the West" at least (which is what we're basically talking about in this thread, apologies to ducky and any other non-Western residents), SAO is far far FAR more popular than Horizon. A quick glance at AnimeSuki reveals twice as many people posting in the SAO threads than the Horizon ones on pretty much any given topic, for instance.

Japan is a different matter, but I'm not sure what the Japanese opinions on either show are, other than that they sell well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aikatsu! 04:

This episode makes me want to believe that a fan's appreciation for an idol can come from a place other than bonerzz. I guess this is why Aikatsu is a cartoon and not reality!

OceanBlue

This reminds me. Did everyone see the new Dream Club ad for western otaku?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lzouSyltE
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/262971731776516096
Oh my god. This is amazing, lol.

Yup, don't forget Nisemonogatari. This year have the fewest 10k+ seller compared to last few year, only 5 so far. 2011 have 15 or something like that.

I like S2 OST even more. Horizon just so much fun, crazy war and accompanied with great animation and OST.
2011 Total Average Sales, TV/ONA

10,000+
71,057 - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (Winter, 6 vols)
48,571 - Fate/Zero (Fall, 1 vols)
33,812 - Infinite Stratos (Winter, 6 vols)
31,523 - Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (Spring, 6 vols)
30,899 - Persona 4 (Fall, 10 vols)
27,829 - Tiger & Bunny (Spring, 9 vols)
25,459 - The iDOLM@STER + G4U Bundle (Summer, 9 vols)
21,603 - Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon (Fall, 7 vols)
17,837 - Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 1000% (Summer, 6 vols)
16,567 - Steins;Gate (Spring, 9 vols)
12,591 - Working'!! (Fall, 7 vols)
12,575 - Gintama' (Spring, 13 vols)
12,476 - Ao no Exorcist (Spring, 10 vols)
11,111 - Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Fall, 6 vols)
10,223 - Natsume Yuujin-chou San (Summer, 5 vols)

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1972221#post1972221
compared to:
2012 Total Average Sales, TV/ONA

10,000+
59,887 - Nisemonogatari (Winter, 5 vols)
22,254 - Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II (Summer, 7 vols)
22,246 - Kuroko no Basuke (Spring, 9 vols)
10,622 - Inu x Boku SS (Winter, 7 vols)
10,325 - Dog Days' (Summer, 6 vols)

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1995840#post1995840

It's pretty crazy. Hopefully this season can bring some big sales. F/Z S2 will probably get on here once sales are reported too.
I'd say the second season is better than the first one, it's still a convoluted mess (but a fun and imaginative one) but it has a lot more battles and the new characters are nice.
I guess I need to watch S2. I watched S1 and it was okay. Nothing amazing but the production values were good and it was entertaining.

Hakkenden: Tōhō Hakken Ibun TV Anime Slated for January

The December issue of Kadokawa Group Publishing's Ciel Tres Tres magazine is announcing on Tuesday that the Hakkenden: Tōhō Hakken Ibun television anime will premiere next January. The issue will also reveal more voice cast members and character designs.

Miyuki Abe's manga inspiration for the anime reimagines the setting from the classic Hakkenden samurai novel as a female-oriented manga with supernatural elements. Osamu Yamasaki is the program's chief director, while Mitsue Yamazaki is its director. Both Yamasaki and Yamazaki are responsible for the series scripts, while Hiromi Kato serves as character designer. The series will be produced at Studio DEEN.

Tetsuya Kakihara, Satoshi Hino, Ayahi Takagaki, Nobuhiko Okamoto lead the cast.

Sounds like pretty boys samurais with magic or whatever.

Jex

You know what my biggest problem with Magi - 4 was? Why doesn't a nomadic tribe of talented horsemen have any god damn horse archers? That's kind of the whole point in being a tribe of horsemen!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's pretty crazy. Hopefully this season can bring some big sales.

Now, in light of this information, are there also fewer mega-bombas this year? (I wouldn't know the appropriate number to use as the benchmark. < 3k? < 2k?) I'm wondering if the lower number of clear-cut successes this year is due to otaku being more conservative in their spending or because there was slightly more even distribution of sales among titles.

Hakkenden: T&#333;h&#333; Hakken Ibun TV Anime Slated for January

Brave 10 2: Electric Boogaloo? I'll take it.

Dresden

You know what my biggest problem with Magi - 4 was? Why doesn't a nomadic tribe of talented horsemen have any god damn horse archers? That's kind of the whole point in being a tribe of horsemen!

Why would it take two years to walk to Qishan, but only two months via caravan? The speed of wagons isn't such that walking is only 8% as fast as the wagon. These are groups that traveled perhaps twenty to thirty miles a day, on good conditions. Scale is out of whack unless they're riding hard killing horses as they go, but then, at that point it's not a caravan.

And you have to wonder at the competence of these supposedly gifted equestrian warriors if they can't even prevent a couple of armored thugs with a single prison cart from kidnapping their women.

Jex

Honestly, though. What the fuck had a chance to beat it? Or even deserved to? Horizon? Yeah, right. Breast Luv? Rinne no Yuri? The fucking chocolate show? Sword Art Online was the only decent thing we had all last season.

Well, it depends how you define 'decent'. If you define it as a show with a high potential to sell well, than SAO would clearly be top of the list. If you're simply speaking about the quality of a series than there were plenty of shows as good as, or better than, SAO.
Why would it take two years to walk to Qishan, but only two months via caravan? The speed of wagons isn't such that walking is only 8% as fast as the wagon. These are groups that traveled perhaps twenty to thirty miles a day, on good conditions. Scale is out of whack unless they're riding hard killing horses as they go, but then, at that point it's not a caravan.

Yeah, I was going to bring that up too, it seemed thoroughly bizarre.

OceanBlue

Now, in light of this information, are there also fewer mega-bombas this year? (I wouldn't know the appropriate number to use as the benchmark. < 3k? < 2k?) I'm wondering if the lower number of clear-cut successes this year is due to otaku being more conservative in their spending or because there was slightly more even distribution of sales among titles.

The site I got the information from also has lists for other sales ranges, such as 5,000-9,999, and I agree. The 3k-10k range is a lot more filled out for this year than last year and this year isn't even finished. There are also a lot of <3k series in 2011.

I think a part of it has to do with less mega-hits this year. Sure, there are probably more sales in other places because there aren't as many people scrambling to buy the next volume of Infinite Stratos, but I'm curious to know what the sales are overall for each year.Well, it's kinda pointless to ask that question until this season's sales come in.

It's pretty crazy. Hopefully this season can bring some big sales. F/Z S2 will probably get on here once sales are reported too.

That also puts Accel World in like the top of the year too and Hyouka as well. (<9K).

Hakkenden: T&#333;h&#333; Hakken Ibun TV Anime Slated for January

The manga characters look amazing, too bad I guess they only got to nine chapters :/

Hopefully the va's for the main roles use their Natsu Dragneel and Shujin or Sai voice.

Geneijin

Correct me if I'm wrong but in "the West" at least (which is what we're basically talking about in this thread, apologies to ducky and any other non-Western residents), SAO is far far FAR more popular than Horizon. A quick glance at AnimeSuki reveals twice as many people posting in the SAO threads than the Horizon ones on pretty much any given topic, for instance.

Japan is a different matter, but I'm not sure what the Japanese opinions on either show are, other than that they sell well.
I'm contentious about your comment regarding reactions being relative to its popularity that I disagree with. And are we really setting a cutoff of 30,000 plus sales to qualify for this discussion? Why are we excluding the Japanese contingent when talking about their respective popularity? How much does the Western fandom even contribute to Japanese volume sales anyway for them to matter? It's like we've forgotten about Infinite Stratos already.

duckroll

Gyrozetter - Episode 5

A new villain emerges! A new enemy Gyrozetter (designed by Kawamori!) appears! An awesome new transport ship for Arcadia! Hot springs! A cute stray cat! A training arc! More licensed car mecha used as training bots! And the beginning of the first major battle between Arcadia and Xenon! This episode totally makes up for the last two somehat bland and lackluster episodes.

-----

For a moment I thought it was a new THE HAKKENDEN OVA... damn!

Don't forget Irie's forgotten CG short film he did in his free time at BONES: Shinjuku Satomi Hakkenden.

duckroll

So even Mr. Irie's has forgot about it I see, because he could have posted it online time ago!

I believe he mentioned that they were thinking of ways to release it to the public, but never found the chance. Let's not forget that Sword of the Stranger was originally shown as a pilot film at TAF too, years before it was made into an actual movie. So it's possible something might still come out of it in future! Don't lose hope!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The site I got the information from also has lists for other sales ranges, such as 5,000-9,999, and I agree. The 3k-10k range is a lot more filled out for this year than last year and this year isn't even finished. There are also a lot of <3k series in 2011.

I think a part of it has to do with less mega-hits this year. Sure, there are probably more sales in other places because there aren't as many people scrambling to buy the next volume of Infinite Stratos, but I'm curious to know what the sales are overall for each year.Well, it's kinda pointless to ask that question until this season's sales come in.

Interesting. I'm glad that the lower incidence of mega-hits has allowed some less-marketable shows to come closer to breaking even on their BD sales. Some of 2011's undeserved bombas still sting in my memory.

/XX/

I believe he mentioned that they were thinking of ways to release it to the public, but never found the chance. Let's not forget that Sword of the Stranger was originally shown as a pilot film at TAF too, years before it was made into an actual movie. So it's possible something might still come out of it in future! Don't lose hope!
Kickstarter is a viable option... all is possible now, every hope and dream!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

I need to get caught up on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom