• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I was replying to the DVD sales! 7,500 on that budget is fairly impressive, unless it's all going to someone's cocaine budget.

Oh okay. Well, considering how the show seems to look in screen caps here, I think it's all going into some producer's pocket! Lol.

wonzo

Banned
Save that pic for the Strike Witches movie.
Weekly Sales Rankings for October 22-28

Blu-ray
*1, *29,757 *29,757 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition

DVD
*3, *4,227 *4,227 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
nietzsche.jpg

ewwww English dubs. Real anime fans only watch anime subbed. American voice actors cannot possibly compare to the emotion of the original Japanese, not to mention the meaning is more than often lost in the dubbing process!

Some shows are impossible to watch in original Japanese though.
DBZ(Goku's voice & music)
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha

While some others the english dub is just slightly better imo.
Haruhi
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Gundam Wing
Big O

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha

Haruhi
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Gundam Wing
Big O

I really cannot watch Utena in Japanese either. So used to the english dub.

fertygo

Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha

Haruhi
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Gundam Wing
Big O

What. I know many preferring the dub.. but the original was great as well.

wonzo

Banned
Hayao Miyazaki Receives Japanese Cultural Merit Honor
Government honors Ghibli co-founder for contribution to Japanese culture

The Japanese government announced anime director Hayao Miyazaki as one of this year's 15 winners of the Person of Cultural Merit honor on Tuesday. Also receiving this honor is novelist Takashi Tsujii.

Hayao Miyazaki is best known for his animated films produced under Studio Ghibli, such as Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo. He is now deep in production of his latest work, an anime "with lots of airplanes" and a projected 2013 release date.

The Japanese government awards the cultural honor every November to people who contributed to Japanese culture for many years. The winners of The Order of Cultural Merit, highest order, are decorated by the Emperor himself in the Imperial Palace on November 3 — a national holiday called Cultural Day. This year's Order of Cultural Merit recipients include Shinya Yamanaka, the stem cell researcher who won this year's Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.

Manga and anime creator Leiji Matsumoto (Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999) also received the Person of Cultural Merit honor in 2001, and fellow manga creator Shigeru Mizuki (Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro) received the same honor in 2010. Anime director Tsutomu Shibayama (Doraemon) and sound director Susumu Aketagawa (Princess Knight, Akira) each received a different Cultural Agency Award this September as well, an award given out by the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs.

Source: Mainichi

Metrotab

Banned
Cromartie's dub is probably the best-fitting dub I've ever heard. The type of humour used simply works a lot better in the English language, which has a rich history of deadpan delivery.

I always find it interested where people draw the line. Like, SAO, whether you liked it or not, always had some pretty silly stuff in it, but now that it's got incest in it that's where you draw the line. Not with, say, the little girl stuff from the first half of the season. Interesting.

I think he mentioned the gratuitious rape theme as what drove him off.

Really there is no greater threat to a waifu.

cajunator

Banned
I think he mentioned the gratuitious rape theme as what drove him off.

Really there is no greater threat to a waifu.

It was around episode 11 for me where they were suddenly like "oh were so in love, lets get married immediately" when they barely knew each other a couple episodes before. It was such a stupid plotline with nothing leading up to it. Not that that is SAO's only problem.

Grzi

Does the English dub have Unmei no Hi (I think that's what the track is called, someone correct me if I'm wrong) playing during the Gohan vs. Cell fight? If it doesn't it's worse, sorry.

Also, Cowboy Bebop? Come on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Problem with the Big-O dub is that I just can't shake that I'm listening to Spike.

Like a modern videogame, there's too much Blum.

Tizoc

^tHEY MAde it because they knew people would watch it regardless.

Is Code Geass: Akito the Exile out yet? IF so how is it? I much prefered the 1st Code Geass anime over S2.

duckroll

http://animeanime.jp/article/2012/10/30/11911.html

Hmmmm, this is interesting. Production IG is celebrating their 25th anniversary with an event on Nov 10 in Japan. The guests of honor will be Yuasa and Ishikawa, and they'll be screening an "unannounced short film" along with A Letter to Momo, the Library Wars movie, and Blood-C The Last Dark. This unannounced short film is 10 minutes long.

Based on the fact that Yuasa is a guest, it seems likely that the short will be Kick-Heart, but considering the delivery date on the Kickstarter is April 2013, is this really possible? Unless they'll be screening an incomplete version...

wonzo

Banned
Girls und Panzer 4

Hell yeah, yet another incredibly entertaining episode! It was weird as hell watching people standing on the sidewalk as tanks exchanged heavy ordinance but the fact that a shop owner seemed to be
absolutely delighted that a tank had ploughed into his business
pretty much set the tone for the rest of the episode. The use of CG was actually handled pretty well in the First-Person POV shot of the tank chasing sequence and the traditional animation is as lively as ever. Definitely looking forward to the
National Tournament!

http://animeanime.jp/article/2012/10/30/11911.html

Hmmmm, this is interesting. Production IG is celebrating their 25th anniversary with an event on Nov 10 in Japan. The guests of honor will be Yuasa and Ishikawa, and they'll be screening an "unannounced short film" along with A Letter to Momo, the Library Wars movie, and Blood-C The Last Dark. This unannounced short film is 10 minutes long.

Based on the fact that Yuasa is a guest, it seems likely that the short will be Kick-Heart, but considering the delivery date on the Kickstarter is April 2013, is this really possible? Unless they'll be screening an incomplete version...
Maybe it's... a new project?!

BluWacky

I didn't follow the Kick-Heart story in any great detail but it did end up seeming to me like they'd done an awful lot of work on a project that in theory would never have happened without the Kickstarter. Others can of course correct me if I'm wrong but it just seemed like the project was much further along than I would have expected. It wouldn't surprise me if more of the work on the short was complete than I'd first thought - and perhaps the delivery date purely refers to when the digital/disc copies will be supplied to those who funded the project.

DiGiKerot

Well that would explain why its so cheap. The Us LE version has posters, cards, art booklet, soundtrack CD and a nifty box for each volume. I'm happy to pay more for schwag :D

That's the wrong comparison point, though - MangaUK are well aware of the fact that everyone who wanted all that additional tat already imported the (multiregioned) US LE release. The fact is that the UK release still gets you the entire show for roughly the same price as a single volume of the standard US release.

Idolm@ster PSP OP

Damn, that animation... Scamco has to release it in HD eventually, right? ;_;

That's the ED, actually - there is no OP for the Shiny Festa OAVs, just the ED (Music) and the insert songs (Vault that Borderline, eDeN, and the one I can't remember the name of). That stuff gets recycled into the game as one of the two different videos for playing the songs in question (the game switches between two different PVs depending on the players performance), so I guess they figured they'd get their money out of making that stuff particularly lavish.

This reminds me. Did everyone see the new Dream Club ad for western otaku?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lzouSyltE
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/262971731776516096

I've got a higher tolerance of these games than I probably should have, and I've played one of the Dream Club games... Urgh, their promotion does a wonderful job of disguising the fact that they're actually about prying private information out of girls by plying them with alcohol. They're kind of repugnant, really.

I didn't follow the Kick-Heart story in any great detail but it did end up seeming to me like they'd done an awful lot of work on a project that in theory would never have happened without the Kickstarter. Others can of course correct me if I'm wrong but it just seemed like the project was much further along than I would have expected. It wouldn't surprise me if more of the work on the short was complete than I'd first thought - and perhaps the delivery date purely refers to when the digital/disc copies will be supplied to those who funded the project.

Personally, I get the feeling that they've been in full production for a while, and the Kickstarter was primarily for funding some kind of distribution to allow them to recoup costs, and that anything they get in excess they'd figure out later. I could be completely wrong on that also, though.

duckroll

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/production-ig/masaaki-yuasas-kick-heart/posts/336288

Work-in-progress Mystery Screening in Japan?

There is an upcoming event in Tokyo on November 10th called: "Tachikawa Anican x Production I.G Night." This event celebrates Production I.G's 25 Year Anniversary. To celebrate, Production I.G will show a "mystery" work-in-progress screening of a short film directed by Yuasa-san. This was mentioned on Anime News Network which some of you may have read already. Can you guess what film that will be? ;)

Sounds like it will indeed be Kick-Heart. I wonder how backers will feel knowing that random Japanese fans who pay 2000yen for that event will get to see a work-in-progress version of the film before those who funded it. Unless they plan on streaming it for backers too, which would be a good move.

cajunator

Banned
That's the wrong comparison point, though - MangaUK are well aware of the fact that everyone who wanted all that additional tat already imported the (multiregioned) US LE release. The fact is that the UK release still gets you the entire show for roughly the same price as a single volume of the standard US release.

The Madoka US LE was mutli region? I thought they limited it to US only or something like that ridiculous Fate Zero boxset.
Its a bargain then in that case.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
JUDGMENT DAY HAS ARRIVED

Summer 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

34,170 *1 Sword Art Online [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/24
22,254 *4 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II [BD]: 2012/09/21
10,460 *6 Tari Tari [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
10,325 *2 Dog Days' [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*8,461 *2 Yuru Yuri♪♪ [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*7,274 *2 Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/28
*5,700 *2 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*5,476 *4 Oda Nobuna no Yabou [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*5,347 *2 Hakuouki Reimeiroku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*4,221 *1 Joshiraku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*4,187 *1 Campione! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,762 *2 Arcana Familia [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,337 *1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*2,810 *1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*2,409 *1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,945 *1 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,900 *1 Moyashimon Returns [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*1,888 *1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/21
*1,370 *1 Binbougami ga! [BD]: 2012/09/21 *DVD-BOX available 2013-01-29
*1,338 *1 Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Utakoi. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
**,302 *1 Natsuyuki Rendezvous [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/19

Kokoro Connect [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/24 currently has no data.

BD data cutoff is 3,352.
DVD data cutoff is 681.

This was a hell week with a TON of stuff released, so we're definitely going to want to see the full list on Thursday.

iPGpkZVFuMT9e.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

And that's how it should be. Shame about my card buggering me over.

Metrotab

Banned
I'm probably the most apathetic person in the world, concerning SAO. Dropped it after episode 3 because of the awful pacing, but I never really considered the show as mind-boggingly bad as it gets made out to be.

DiGiKerot

The Madoka US LE was mutli region? I thought they limited it to US only or something like that ridiculous Fate Zero boxset.
Its a bargain then in that case.

The Fate/Zero disks aren't region locked to the US/Japan specifically either, by the way - they'll quite happily play on European Region B players if you pick up a set via Japan or one of the local resellers who carry US releases. It's just that they didn't want anyone from outside the US ordering directly from RightStuf for whatever reason.

cajunator

Banned
The Fate/Zero disks aren't region locked to the US/Japan specifically either, by the way - they'll quite happily play on European Region B players if you pick up a set via Japan or one of the local resellers who carry US releases. It's just that they didn't want anyone from outside the US ordering directly from RightStuf for whatever reason.

Ah ok I see.
All that region/nonregion/sell here but not there bullshit is really confusing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JUDGMENT DAY HAS ARRIVED

Summer 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

34,170 *1 Sword Art Online [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/24
22,254 *4 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II [BD]: 2012/09/21
10,460 *6 Tari Tari [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
10,325 *2 Dog Days' [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*8,461 *2 Yuru Yuri♪♪ [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*7,274 *2 Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/28
*5,700 *2 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*5,476 *4 Oda Nobuna no Yabou [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*5,347 *2 Hakuouki Reimeiroku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*4,221 *1 Joshiraku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*4,187 *1 Campione! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,762 *2 Arcana Familia [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,337 *1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*2,810 *1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*2,409 *1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,945 *1 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,900 *1 Moyashimon Returns [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*1,888 *1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/21
*1,370 *1 Binbougami ga! [BD]: 2012/09/21 *DVD-BOX available 2013-01-29
*1,338 *1 Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Utakoi. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
**,302 *1 Natsuyuki Rendezvous [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/19

Kokoro Connect [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/24 currently has no data.

BD data cutoff is 3,352.
DVD data cutoff is 681.

This was a hell week with a TON of stuff released, so we're definitely going to want to see the full list on Thursday.

Didn't realize Horizon was that popular. Guess its to be expected. Should get around to watching S2 at some point. Need more yuri mages in my life and some more of that soundtrack.

e: Huh weird meant to link this one. Well either way its all good. Great OST. S1 was a guilty pleasure of mine. OST has honestly the most range for anything I've ever listened to, its pretty unique and pretty awesome. Show didn't live up to its soundtrack I guess.

BluWacky

I'm probably the most apathetic person in the world, concerning SAO. Dropped it after episode 3 because of the awful pacing, but I never really considered the show as mind-boggingly bad as it gets made out to be.

It clearly isn't really that bad, otherwise you wouldn't have so many people continuing to watch it - there's obviously stuff in it that people enjoy.

In this thread, certainly, the reactions seem to be mostly because it's super popular (and popularity generally causes extremes of opinion - how many people are "indifferent" to shows like Haruhi, or the KeyAni shows?) and because kayos wouldn't shut up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom