• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

It's the same argument. I do not understand how you can logically say a show that has some entertaining bits is not better than a show that has no entertaining bits at all.

This is the last post I'm making on this, because we're not getting anywhere. Regardless, it was nice to have a debate in here for once.
...because that wasn't the initial argument in the beginning that I just quoted you...

As I said, you changed the argument. Not me.

Look, it's one thing to say the more entertaining 2nd half makes the show overall better. It's another to make a comparison on what show is better if we're comparing two shows with a disparity in quality episodes, which you're conflating me for arguing the latter.

Jex

[Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun] - 5

I know that I'm a little late to this, which in internet terms means a whole 24 hours, but nevertheless I'm self-important enough to want to post my impressions of this show. I noted that a number of people pointed out this episode wasn't really as fun as previous episodes in the series and, as such, they found it a little dry or boring.

I don't really think that was a major problem with this episode, I actually think the main problem was that they didn't address the major event they set up at the end of the previous episode
(the date)
and they didn't really develop any of the stuff that the show was working on. Up until recently the focus of the show has been on developing Shizuku's character, Haru's character and their relationship with each other and 'society' (in this case, school). None of that really went anywhere this week. Instead they focused on

a) Haru's dark past and
b) glass-rep girl.

I don't think anyone really cares about either of those two matters, at least not to the extent where they'd like the show to come to a grinding halt just so that they can be explored. I don't really get the point of Yuzan at the moment - he just wants to maintain the status quo. Of course, Haru's surely right about there's something very fishy going with with Yuzan's but we don't know that yet. All the show has established is that there's bad blood between them but even during the course of a five minute conversation did nothing was actually revealed about Haru's past or even what Yuzan's goals are. As an audience member what am I supposed to think about Yuzan if I don't know what he's thinking or planning? It just seems pointless.

As for glass-rep girl, I can't honestly work out what the purpose of her is at all. It doesn't really make sense for her to be a romantic rival but who knows given the nature of this series.

I found the cinematography and staging to be pretty uninspiring this week. Yuzan is supposed to be this masterful, commanding figure who holds the audiences and characters attention as we struggle to learn more about Haru's past. However the camerawork didn't really reflect that. Sure there was some cute shots like this one:

where Yuzan is getting inbetween Haru and Shizuku even though we don't actually know that he's behind all those girls. The only memorable moment was the slightly tense sequence between Haru and Shizuku. During the end of their conversation Haru slowly and deliberately approaches Shizuku on the bench until he's uncomfortably close to her and managed to loom over her face:

Tonari53.jpg

Tonari55.jpg

Tonari54.jpg

even here, I feel, the thing that was doing the most work to make Yuzan appear powerful and even threatening was the soundtrack that kicked in a opportune moments. I feel like there was a lot of wasted opportunity vis a vis really low-angle camera work, interesting framing, deliberate ending etc. The cinematography itself was remarkably bland throughout most of the episode.

Tonari57.jpg

For example, this low-angle shot of Yuzan implies that he's a powerful character but over what or who? Why is the camera so far away from him? The staging of some of these shots just seems a little off.

Tonari58.jpg

It was nice to see Sizuku push back against Haru infantalising her by simply ordering her around without explaining himself. A brief moment of character development in an otherwise uneventfully episode.

cajunator

Banned
It's the same argument. I do not understand how you can logically say a show that has some entertaining bits is not better than a show that has no entertaining bits at all.

This is the last post I'm making on this, because we're not getting anywhere. Regardless, it was nice to have a debate in here for once.

Honestly I can't really think of a show I've watched, whether enjoyable or not, that didn't have at least one entertaining bit in it. I hate Iczelion for example, but I like some of the supporting characters, the battle outfits, the music and art design. I hated Gasaraki because it bored me, but the bizarre ceremonies done in the show are kind of crazy to watch. Stuffl ike that. I pretty much hate every single part of Eiken though and could find absolutely no redeeming value in any character, the art, comedy, or animation so maybe thats one.

cajunator

Banned
But Hyouka is boring, and boring is bad, and bad is unentertaining.

Anyway, it wasn't even entertaining to begin with.

Actually envelope, there are plenty of parts of Hyouka that are well worth watching. The show can be a lot of fun sometimes, especially when Misaki and Irisu show up and the festival arc begins.

Isnt that because you seem to be a sengoku era fan?

That only heightens my enjoyment.

The episodic storytelling was a good way to deliver the series and while there were episodes that were boring, there were really nicely done episodes too that probably wouldn't have ever existed if they kept going with the whole Nobunaga must collect all the orbs.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
...because that wasn't the initial argument in the beginning that I just quoted you...

As I said, you changed the argument. Not me.

Look, it's one thing to say the more entertaining 2nd half makes the show overall better. It's another to make a comparison on what show is better if we're comparing two shows with a disparity in quality episodes, which you're conflating me for arguing the latter.

Fuck it, making another post.

The bold is what I have been saying. The underlined is something new to me. We're not even comparing two shows here. We've been talking about one show the whole time. We're not even talking about any show specifically, we're talking in very general terms.

Geneijin

Fuck it, making another post.

The bold is what I have been saying. The underlined is something new to me. We're not even comparing two shows here. We've been talking about one show the whole time. We're not even talking about any show specifically, we're talking in very general terms.
Then why did you agree with Hosanna in the first place?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43786737&postcount=6975

Edit: And I never attempted to compare the two shows at all.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Everyone is arguing so much they are going to end up agreeing with each other accidentally.

The important parts:

Good stuff Kyoani has made:

K-On

Bad stuff:

Chuunibyo, key, Hyouka

Nobody cares stuff:

FMP

Oh god why:

Haruhi

Out of consideration for Ultimadrago I have left Nichijou off the list.

Geneijin

Because the Hosanna's statement can be applied to one show. A show 'X' with one entertaining episode is better than if show 'X' had no entertaining episodes at all.
...but that's not even related to the initial argument and another argument entirely.

Dresden

Ultimate rankings:

Hyouka
K-ON
Fumoffu / Nichijou (fumoffu is funnier; nichijou is gorgeous)
Haruhi
Clannad (may go up if I ever bother watching After Story)
FMP: SR
other KEY stuff

Don't want to place chunikoi until it's over, although it's probably haruhi-tier.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
...but that's not even related to the initial argument and another argument entirely.

You keep saying this but I have no clue what you're even talking about. Was the initial argument about Horizon and whether or not it "gets worse after the first few episodes?"

I disagreed, saying that it becomes more entertaining after the info dump. You agreed with that statement, but said that even though it was more entertaining in the later episodes, it was not a better show because of that.

cajunator

Banned
On a positive note, Chuunibyo is so much fun :D

Aside from being cute as hell, it also blends fantasy and reality together in silly way, like a Satoshi Kon movie. Its also animated pretty well and is pretty to look at. Having so much fun with it.

Geneijin

You keep saying this but I have no clue what you're even talking about. Was the initial argument about Horizon and whether or not it "gets worse after the first few episodes?"
The initial argument was if Horizon gets better after the first few episodes.

I disagreed, saying that it becomes more entertaining after the info dump. You agreed with that statement, but said that even though it was more entertaining in the later episodes, it was not a better show because of that.
Yes, because I believe entertainment is separate from quality.

BluWacky

I'm contentious about your comment regarding reactions being relative to its popularity that I disagree with.

I'm not sure why Horizon disproves anything. The reason that there are far fewer extreme haters of Horizon in English anime fandom is because there are far fewer people hyping it up in the first place. That's what I'm trying to say - the bigger a property is and the more hype/focus it gets, the more extreme people's reactions will tend to be, whether positive or negative.

And are we really setting a cutoff of 30,000 plus sales to qualify for this discussion? Why are we excluding the Japanese contingent when talking about their respective popularity? How much does the Western fandom even contribute to Japanese volume sales anyway for them to matter? It's like we've forgotten about Infinite Stratos already.

Apologies if I've misconstrued something but I was responding directly to Metrotab's post about the vitriolic reactions SAO gets. I was merely commenting on the fact that there are so many people bashing the show despite its massive popularity. When you brought up Horizon I didn't realise that you were relating it to the earlier sales discussion - hence my reference purely to Western popularity, and my reasoning that Horizon doesn't have so many vocal detractors because far fewer people are watching it.

Geneijin

Well that's that then. We have different standards for what makes a good show.
We're talking about Horizon here, which was the whole point originally. The entertainment was mired by the lack of quality because of preexisting problems like forced character development i.e. flashbacks.

You did nothing but enable AnimeGAF to take things in the usual ridiculous direction, don't worry.
This happens anywhere. It's not exclusive to animeGAF.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Je vais tenter, essayer et re-pratiquer... tout pour vous mon chéri amí ! (Believe it or not, this space before the exclamation mark is very important in French).
Mon français est très horrible. Je ne l'ai pas pratiqué depuis l'école secondaire. :( Avons-nous un 'thread' pour pratiquer français comme DeutschGaf ?
Per cert, vosaltres esteu tots benvinguts a parlá valencià, ¡se més simple, noias!
woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Del Bosque's best achievement was appeasing the egos of all those "roosters in the hen"
It was probably a bad to mention Del Bosque's name there. the Galácticos are called precisely that because of the name power of their players. My point was along the lines that I'm feeling old, and that UEFAlona hype is loltastic because the vast majority of the people who currently support them were not there before the Guardiola years. They are what's in vogue in today's football sphere. But I digress.

HEY GUYS ANIME IS THE WORST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom