• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Horizon 1

That was probably the most complex opening episode I've seen so far. All those names, political entities, organisations... They just threw you right into the middle of all that. I didn't do a lick of research on this show before watching this, so I wasn't even aware of the exact genre. I couldn't follow the ending narration at all. Something about humanity basically 'reliving' history, then the Dark Ages happen, and everything screws up? And now there's war between Divine States who are in different periods of time or something? I might need to rewatch this episode later.

The chase scene was exciting and it showed off everyone's powers a bit. Based on first impressions, I liked sensei the most. Tomi has waaaay too smug a smile.

Not immediately sold on this, I am.
Overtly detailed writing doesn't necessarily mean good writing. On the opposite end of the spectrum: Weren't you gonna watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
WAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT

When you guys said that Accel World was set in the same universe as SAO I thought you were joking!!!
wait

what

Soma

Ultimate rankings:

Hyouka
K-ON
Fumoffu / Nichijou (fumoffu is funnier; nichijou is gorgeous)
Haruhi
Clannad (may go up if I ever bother watching After Story)
FMP: SR
other KEY stuff

Don't want to place chunikoi until it's over, although it's probably haruhi-tier.

Despite not watching K-On or Second Raid yet I think I can agree with this when it comes to KyoAni stuff.

Articalys

While I can't comment on it critically, I did note that Haruhi S1 contains more variety of stories, while Haruhi S2 is one episode for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, five for Sighs, and eight for E8.

duckroll

I've been thinking about one major component in what makes Girls und Panzer so charming, and that would be the way the music is done. One of the things I really noticed about the effectiveness of the music is how it has really nice arrangements of marching tunes and folk music which characterizes certain countries. So I looked up who the composer was, and Shirou Hamaguchi basically started his career at Squaresoft doing arrangements for Final Fantasy music, especially the vocal theme songs. Arrangement definitely seems to be his strong point, since I found his music in Hanasaku Iroha less noteworthy. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't really jump out at me like the tunes here.

Metrotab

Banned
Overtly detailed writing doesn't necessarily mean good writing. On the opposite end of the spectrum: Weren't you gonna watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

I had some other shows I wanted to finish up first, and I've been playing Amnesia because of Halloween. Will start LOGH shortly.

cajunator

Banned

wait

what

Yea SAO and AW are supposedly in the same world.

I've been thinking about one major component in what makes Girls und Panzer so charming, and that would be the way the music is done. One of the things I really noticed about the effectiveness of the music is how it has really nice arrangements of marching tunes and folk music which characterizes certain countries. So I looked up who the composer was, and Shirou Hamaguchi basically started his career at Squaresoft doing arrangements for Final Fantasy music, especially the vocal theme songs. Arrangement definitely seems to be his strong point, since I found his music in Hanasaku Iroha less noteworthy. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't really jump out at me like the tunes here.

what else has the composer for Sora no Woto done? I loved that stuff. Although it was probably a bit too classy to work with girls Und Panzer.

Soma

While I can't comment on it critically, I did note that Haruhi S1 contains more variety of stories, while Haruhi S2 is one episode for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, five for Sighs, and eight for E8.

Yeah I think that's why I enjoyed S1 a lot more than S2. Really the only episode I enjoyed was Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody while everything else in S2 was pretty average in my opinion.

The movie was good despite being fairly long.

Also, Season Two solidified my hatred for Haruhi herself which made the film even more painful though still good.

Kazzy

Yeah I think that's why I enjoyed S1 a lot more than S2. Really the only episode I enjoyed was Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody while everything else in S2 was pretty average in my opinion.

The movie was good despite being fairly long.

It was long, but I thought that the movie was the best thing that series produced. It got most things absolutely right, at least in my opinion.

OceanBlue

Haruhi S1 has ugly Keyface art; unwatchable. They should remake it with superior K-ONface art of Disappearance/S2.

I don't think it was unwatchable, but I agree that S2's artstyle is better (even if I don't know how seriously I should be taking this post). In my opinion, the art for S2 allows for much more distortion and expression.
You did nothing but enable AnimeGAF to take things in the usual ridiculous direction, don't worry.

All I can think of when I see your avatar is "LOVE YOU FOREVER."

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You have clearly never noticed how bodacious Nami and Robin are.

4BBa6.png

Brazil: the true bro.

Narag

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 26

Damn that Nubia Connection. Khamen Khamen hasn't really done anything overt yet (aside from trying to assassinate an African president) but I'm starting to get excited as every episode since his introduction has had his involvement in the background. I appreciate how they're building him up rather than throwing him in as the face of evil as they could have from the beginning.

I've heard a fair bit of Hamaguchi's work for both games and anime, and I agree that he is a better arranger than original composer. Some of the arrangements he made for the Final Fantasy VII-IX Piano Collections are quite good.

what else has the composer for Sora no Woto done? I loved that stuff. Although it was probably a bit too classy to work with girls Und Panzer.

Michiru Oshima. Good composer. Her music is currently being featured in Zetsuen no Tempest.

Metrotab

Banned
My plan for watching Haruhi consists of watching S1 in broadcast order, wait a while, S2 in chronological order, wait another while, movie.

The waiting parts are important.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
iftBpXe7TYQh9.gif

ENG Dub, chronological order is the only way to watch Haruhi S1.

"to not" is the only way to watch S2.

That implies one should be watching haruhi s1 in the first place though

which of course, no one would ever imply, considering that Haruhi S1 is a festering pile of gross

OceanBlue

guys so how long until Disney buys KyoAni

you know it's gonna happen eventually

Would it be like NTV buying Madhouse?

I've heard a fair bit of Hamaguchi's work for both games and anime, and I agree that he is a better arranger than original composer.

Michiru Oshima. Good composer. Her music is currently being featured in Zetsuen no Tempest.

Oshima worked on Sora no Woto? Oshima is a she?! I guess this is what I get for assuming most people who work in the anime industry are male.

Noirulus

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 01

The pacing was all over the place (deliberately?). I loved some of the background art and the animation was solid, but I felt that I didn't enjoy it enough. Maybe I should give it one more episode.

sonicmj1

I would disagree with all of those. But it really isn't about what is better when you already have a sound engrained into you mind.

For me it's Akira. After watching it many times with the English dub (Including the first time I watched it), I can not watch it in Japanese. It may be better, but it just sounds wrong to me.

But the lipflaps in Akira were matched after the fact to the Japanese dub aaaaaaaaaa

:pizzaroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom