• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

I feel sick just looking at that link.

idzWv0YVQA6J9.gif

Metrotab

Banned
Idolm@ster went from mediocre merchandising show to amazing ensemble cast comedy/drama. There is a string of episodes where each improves upon the previous to the point of incredulity.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This makes no sense but okay
We had this discussion before when Korra no Densetsu was airing. I mean, if we go to the basis of the word every cartoon out there is anime.
Either way, the concert in Haruhi was rotoscoped ergo the K-ON concerts are superior by default.

Even this is better than rotoscope.
The one rotoscoped concert I really liked was Symphogear's. Too bad the show was crap.
Forgive me if this is a joke but isn't Avatar animated in Korea anyway, most notably by DR Movie who do a lot of contract work for Madhouse shows?
I'm trying to rile shit up
Japan doesn't outsource to Korea much these days; Philippines is cheaper.
See, I'm learning stuff!

Risette

A Good Citizen
We had this discussion before when Korra no Densetsu was airing. I mean, if we go to the basis of the word every cartoon out there is anime.
Quite a few Japanese staff mixed with outsourcing vs zero Japanese staff

if you want to be funny it has to make sense, sorry

Risette

A Good Citizen
That was a different type of rotoscope; they didn't film a live performance, they animated CG models and then they drew over the CG animation. Ufotable does that shit all the time, too.
Such a bizarre and wasteful practice.

Geneijin

I've been thinking about one major component in what makes Girls und Panzer so charming, and that would be the way the music is done. One of the things I really noticed about the effectiveness of the music is how it has really nice arrangements of marching tunes and folk music which characterizes certain countries. So I looked up who the composer was, and Shirou Hamaguchi basically started his career at Squaresoft doing arrangements for Final Fantasy music, especially the vocal theme songs. Arrangement definitely seems to be his strong point, since I found his music in Hanasaku Iroha less noteworthy. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't really jump out at me like the tunes here.
He is a very good arranger, and arrangements are definitely his strongest point compared to his compositions. It's why I think Nobuo Uematsu's music for Guin Saga turned out as badly as it did without Hamaguchi (or any arranger for that matter).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Quite a few Japanese staff mixed with outsourcing vs zero Japanese staff

if you want to be funny it has to make sense, sorry
:( okay
That was a different type of rotoscope; they didn't film a live performance, they animated CG models and then they drew over the CG animation. Ufotable does that shit all the time, too.
Isn't that really redundant?
Animating camera rotation would be fucking hard otherwise. The results tend to be less than ideal, tho.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=224WJCAh-pM

Awful.
Added to the stuff I learned today.

7Th

:( okay

If you notice, they try to do a lot of camera movement and stuff. You would need a really, really talented animator to do it by hand. By using CG models you can keep track of the positions easily. The problem is that the movement usually ends up looking unnatural and stiff, like in the Kara no Kyoukai stuff.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you notice, they try to do a lot of camera movement and stuff. You would need a really, really talented animator to do it by hand. By using CG models you can keep track of the positions easily. The problem is that the movement usually ends up looking unnatural and stuff, like in the Kara no Kyoukai stuff.
All that camera movement just makes the scene look really really tacky though, the bad animation just makes it even worse. It would've been better if they weren't able to do it!

OceanBlue

Animating camera rotation would be fucking hard otherwise. The results tend to be less than ideal, tho.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=224WJCAh-pM

Awful.

Who decided that the camera spinning in the beginning was a good idea?

Lol, the animation is mediocre but at least the characters are generally on model!

I would imagine that it lets you play around with different camera angles and such. If you look at other series, some characters become really distorted or off-model when people try foreshortening.

duckroll

Having actually seen the entire movie, I feel the need to mention that anyone dissing individual scenes of KnK5 is doing the movie an injustice because while individual scenes might seem out of place or weird when viewed on their own, the entire movie itself a visual tour de force which builds upon every scene and every moment, both visually and musically, and flows in such a brilliantly engineered way that it all works.

It is an animation film where the direction trumps over all other aspects of the movie, and everything element of the film is simply an aspect of the overall direction which does not really stand alone. Every scene, every piece of music, every line is simply a part of a narrative puzzle box which unravels part by part as the film unfolds in a dynamic and elegant way which few movies are capable of doing.

wonzo

Banned
avatar gifs are worse than kanon 2002

I've been thinking about one major component in what makes Girls und Panzer so charming, and that would be the way the music is done. One of the things I really noticed about the effectiveness of the music is how it has really nice arrangements of marching tunes and folk music which characterizes certain countries. So I looked up who the composer was, and Shirou Hamaguchi basically started his career at Squaresoft doing arrangements for Final Fantasy music, especially the vocal theme songs. Arrangement definitely seems to be his strong point, since I found his music in Hanasaku Iroha less noteworthy. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't really jump out at me like the tunes here.
Yeah, the music in Girls und Panzer really does shine and fits in perfectly with everything else. It's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom