• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

So, are any Japanese AnimeGaffers going to see Gothicmade tomorrow?
Would be nice to get some impressions.

Also, all this mecha talk reminded me of how much I love mecha shows, I mean, this used to be my signature on an old Croatian anime forum (no, really):

as.jpg

/XX/

Wait, this is the guy that works with Kawamori sometimes, right? Not sure if want if this is a hint that he's involved in Space Dandy.
Well, his involvement with Basquash! is enough to make me wary of his involvement with anything.
I like him in general, but it all depends on the kind of involvement he has (if he has any!). I certainly find his layouts and background work really inspiring (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42065446&postcount=10066).

So, are any Japanese AnimeGaffers going to see Gothicmade tomorrow?
Would be nice to get some impressions.
I hope, because I can't even believe it really is coming...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 3

~The freedom to "not get involved" is perhaps the most valued freedom we have in this country~

A very interesting episode, lifting the curtains on the Free Planets Alliance, which hadn't happened before like with the Empire. It is immediately clear that the Secretary of Defense is aiming to build up the spirit for "total war". Yang Wenli is smart enough to know he's considered, above all, a living piece of propaganda and refuses to take part in that. He doesn't really like being a soldier, and ideologically he has come to hate war. It was already obvious he was less militaristic than Reinhard, but this particular nuance wasn't explored before.

The OP and ED are nice, but both very subdued, which fits the slower-paced tone to me.

One of my favourite Yang Wenli quotes.

Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts 2
tumblr_mcrm3hunnW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_mcrm3hunnW1qbxqfpo2_500.png

This anime is so dumb and funny at mostly all times. Yoshii as the donut to Yuuji's banana was the best part. Also the overly dramatic sword fight too.

But again why are they also so idiotic
The plan was almost so successful and I was even cheering thinking they had toppled class A, only for Yuuji to score wayyyy lower than the Class A 2nd highest scoring student. Just as dumb as Yoshii losing instantaneously with that right hand glued to the table.
Laughed but wanted progress.

Ultimadrago

Fatal Fury - Legend of the Hungry Wolf (OVA 1)

basedonbestsellinggambnp5o.jpg

My overdue sacrifice to Emunoz.

This is somehow even inferior to the third OVA. The dialogue is bland to the maximum and it only gets "better" on the villains' side!

Police Commisioner: "Don't let the corruption get too blatant!" (while receiving money from Geese Howard to keep quiet about some things).

That's only the tip of the iceberg!

awful71ksn.png

That's what it felt like while watching this.

Too bad it doesn't carry the film like some other OVAs. To make matters even worse, it has Geese Howard, but still can't manage to be entertaining. The man is one of the easiest templates for a "rich jerk that can pack a hell of a punch" character. Here he's a stiff business man and little more. He gets a moment when
killing Lily
, but the execution was underwhelming.

Andy and Terry's interaction as rivals after
seeing each other after ten years
is terrible. The " super secret ultimate technique
I can only teach one of you"
proposed by Tung Fu Rue is done...in a public place at some Starbucks seats. Unless Master Tung was going senile, this OVA can't even settle location in a sensible manner.

The music is the synth, xylophone, saxaphone and guitar riffs that I expected. The saxaphone segments actually weren't that bad (though strongly muffled to make way for the dialogue)...and then there's everything else. Like OVA 3, the music is absent for stretches at a time, a plus for the film with its standing soundtrack. It would seem Toshihiko Sahashi did the music for OVA 1-3, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by the display here then.

censoringp5jc2.png
wooshgnq0h.png

Left:Are they censoring something? No.
This spray paint was actually done to portray darkness in the stadium...
Terrible.
Right: No whirlwind motion (or motion at all) when...in spiraling wind. The picture shown only resulted in a perfectly straight levitation.

The King of Fighters tournament itself is also poor. However, there are some neat camera angles used in the middle of one fight. The action is laughable compared to scenes in the third OVA. The climax battle against Geese is unfortunately lazy in terms of animation. The audience is only shown the gust hitting Geese's upper-half in face of the
Secret Chi
attack and the whirlwind motion (strangely not shown for any of the corresponding attacks) was again absent after Geese loses his footing.

This was a pathetic depiction of the Geese Howard age in Fatal Fury. The source material isn't masterful by any means (in terms of story), but this...this actively degrades it. The choreography, music, interactions and dialogue all work against a "high-action, entertaining fest" that is potential with Fatal Fury.

At this point, I doubt a decent Fatal Fury animated film even exists. But there's one more left for me to try...

cajunator

Banned
Anime-GAF, I've been back on a mecha kick these days after playing some Super Robot Wars and watching Full Metal Panic! And Gundam Wing again. Can you recommend me a recent, good mecha anime worth watching?

I would second Gurenn Lagann. One of the most fun and crazy mecha shows to come out in a long time.

That's funny.
This is the same score IGN printed on the back of my Blu-Ray box.
I trusted you, Grzi...

Joking aside, I am not fond of reviews pasted to the back of boxes. For example, my Haibane Renmei box has a Zac/ANN quote pasted right above the synopsis. Secondly, the IGN Editor's Choice Award excerpt on the Gunslinger Girl box which simply states, "Impressive. 8/10" It's not the least bit informative nor helpful. Reviews are posted on the concept of authority, but I've hardly heard IGN's expertise on critiquing animation. The quote itself is even completely separated from the other two; it's tucked away in the bottom-right-hand of the body. It's quite an eyesore on the packaging. There are two more quotes, but they are lesser offenders as they at least support wording that (briefly) describes their experience.

I also don't like the eye-catcher line used to sum up Haibane Renmei: (Semi-spoilers?)
"Sometimes God can not forgive you. Unless you forgive yourself."
Explicit mention of
God
doesn't fit the mold for Haibane Renmei's approach to its themes.

I'm guessing the older version's packaging didn't have to such issues.

I pulled my original discs off the shelf to check since you made me curious.

Gunslinger Girl says: "Anime's answer to "the Professional" and just as compelling" Rob Bricken, Anime Insider
The original set has a really sturdy, beautiful artbox. Man I miss packaging like that.

There is also no specific mention of "God" on the back of the Haibane discs.
"In a long-forgotten walled town, humans coexist with the Haibane, angelic-like beings of unknown origin. Rakka becomes the newest Haibane after she awakens from a strange dream and finds herself hatching from a massive cocoon. With no memories of her previous life, Rakka struggles to adjust to her new surroundings, however, burning questions remain in the back of her mind. What are Haibane and what is their purpose? What lies beyond the huge, forbidden town walls? Thus Rakka begins her wistful journey of self-discovery and wonderment."

That's all it says. No review snippets or other shit. Pioneer was too classy for that.

Narag

Poor Ultimadrago. Second OVA is better than the first but lesser than the movie. Also there is a kid sidekick!

Andy's hair is blonde in it too. I think they took the silver haired thing too seriously.

Grzi

Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike

Gotta go watch Skyfall so I'll keep this short.

Pros:
- Great character designs
- Really nice and expressive character animation
- Nice action animation
- Loved the atmosphere and what little of the world I experienced through the movie
- Characters show some depth, probably even more if you played the game (I haven't)
- Great music

Cons:
- Slow pacing, movie could have been about 30 minutes shorter, I couldn't finish it in one sitting
- Story could have been a bit more interesting, probably would have been if I had played the game, but there's still some typical Tales crap in it
- Definitely intended for the fans of the game
- Some terrible CG later on

I enjoyed it, it definitely could have been a lot better, but overall I'm pleased that I watched it, I should play the game someday. But this is probably the best Tales game anime adaptation, right next to Symphonia. If you like the game and haven't seen this, watch it.

Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike

I enjoyed it, it definitely could have been a lot better, but overall I'm pleased that I watched it, I should play the game someday. But this is probably the best Tales game anime adaptation, right next to Symphonia. If you like the game and haven't seen this, watch it.

I need to watch more of the Tales anime, only saw Eternia was it...Though First Strike would be the closest Id get to experience the Tales of Vesperia on my ps3.

Taruranto

Mad Pierrot said:
Is that some kind of Fate reference?

Yes, R07 is a Type-Moon fan. (Hell, Chie sensei is basically a straight rip-off of Ciel Sensei)

Yeah you can go patch in non-vomit inducing sprites but the fact is the game as it ships looks like shit. Even the backgrounds are poor.

Who cares honestly, the most important things in a story surely isn't how pretty the characters look. Once you get past the initial disgust and become immersed in the story you barely notice it. (I read Rei without the patch and barelly cared)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Who cares honestly, the most important things in a story surely isn't how pretty the characters look. Once you get past the initial disgust and become immersed in the story you barely notice it. (I read Rei without the patch and barelly cared)
Visual novel

Ultimadrago

I pulled my original discs off the shelf to check since you made me curious.

Gunslinger Girl says: "Anime's answer to "the Professional" and just as compelling" Rob Bricken, Anime Insider
The original set has a really sturdy, beautiful artbox. Man I miss packaging like that.

Yeah, that is one of the two other quotes I have on mine.
The reference doesn't make too much sense, but it's better than the IGN excerpt, in any case.

There is also no specific mention of "God" on the back of the Haibane discs.

That's all it says. No review snippets or other shit. Pioneer was too classy for that.

It seems I got the short end of the packaging.

Poor Ultimadrago. Second OVA is better than the first but lesser than the movie. Also there is a kid sidekick!

Andy's hair is blonde in it too. I think they took the silver haired thing too seriously.

Oh dear.

Good on them with the blonde Andy though. Silver-bluish-haired Andy was weird to look at.

DiGiKerot

I remember watching Umineko's first episode thinking, Hey, this could be quite good. Oh how horribly wrong I was.

To be fair, having read all of Umineko, I'm not convinced it's even possible to translate that work into film. There's way too many layers of meta-narrative going on by the time you get to the end.

Yeah you can go patch in non-vomit inducing sprites but the fact is the game as it ships looks like shit. Even the backgrounds are poor.
The backgrounds are intended to be that way ...

I need to watch more of the Tales anime, only saw Eternia was it...Though First Strike would be the closest Id get to experience the Tales of Vesperia on my ps3.
Abyss is the only thing that retain a tales plot experience properly .. "the first strike" is just behind as a good movie .. eternia anime is garbage incarnate ..it invented the shining hearts quality years before .... some people here experienced it..

Is that some kind of Fate reference?
hell yeah..it's not the only one

To be fair, having read all of Umineko, I'm not convinced it's even possible to translate that work into film. There's way too many layers of meta-narrative going on by the time you get to the end.

Right it's impossible ...especially ep 8...
I killed you .. it's a bother to think how .. but you're dead ... i'll think how i did it afterwards !

Reknoc

Pokemon Best Wishes 7

It wouldn't have taken Ash 3 attempts to catch that Snivy if he had held down down+B. Also Cilan managed to pull a kitchen and ingrediants out of no where, I guess a waiter always has to be prepared to cook gourmet meals.

Noirulus

I'm not knocking the work itself (although the anime sucked hard), I was just disappointed when I found out what type of work it really was. Maybe I would enjoy the VN but it seems like a giant time sink.

Metrotab

Banned
Yuru Yuri - 12

Very entertaining episode to finish the first season with. And now I finally know where those costumes come from.

Overall the show entertained me. The cast is vibrant and there's good chemistry, and you had your standard fare episodes. 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom