• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 27

uXz4t.png
6YMnyl.png
N8OBS.png

That's a hard rockin' band. Their Engrish was pretty amazing too.

A two part episode??! aw yeah. Really liked how the episode proper opened up with a drinking competition between Speedy Bowie and the Blaster Kid who then promptly make fun of their boss for being a teetotaler. Got our token Khamen Khamen appearance too who decided to attend a rock concert. wtf

Most out of place thing was the ep ended with J9 on the defensive and a step behind. Also the titular super robot didn't make an appearance which was pretty cool as that's generally the weakest part of any given ep!

i8e1Ml.png
DNM5Ul.png

Oh she's wounded; better suck out the poison. Then she fell for him.

That's all it says. No review snippets or other shit. Pioneer was too classy for that.

The new Funi packaging is alright, though I could live without the review quotes myself.

As an aside, I wasn't super impressed with the video quality. I've heard the Pioneer release had a softer look to it...I think that would suit the show better.

Metrotab

Banned
Horizon - 2

Even the romance arc is confusing me now. Girl's been dead for 10 years but Toori can describe her curves? Toori all-around confuses me. He's a semi-protagonist, yet an utterly unlikable character without any background except that he's good without trying. At least the other girl shows some form of depth to her position in life.

I also 'like' how they interrupted the exposition bit with classroom shenanigans. Glad they switched characters because the first one literally has the worst voice out of the cast.

This show is annoying to watch so far. I try hard to keep track of the setting but they keep throwing new information to me without linking it to any of the previous explained entities. That's simply bad storytelling to me. And it is demotivating to a new audience because I don't feel I get any understanding of the plot and how it actually effects this classroom, or the two semi-protagonists.

Normally I'd follow the 3-Episode Rule and drop this show if the next episode doesn't bring improvement, but if all this information dump gives way for entertaining action scenes with the likable and varied cast, I guess I can stomach my way through. But I simply do not see how this series can be so acclaimed based on these first impressions.

Ultimadrago

No its a thick artbox with pretty artwork on it.

I guess what I'm talking about is only the JP version then. Now that box is all class.

I've heard the Pioneer release had a softer look to it...

Yep.

The Pioneer and Funi release are on two ends of the spectrum with that. Pioneer being very soft (what I used for viewing the show this summer) and Funimation's edges being hard (too much so). I prefer the Funimation quality, though neither are ideal.

cajunator

Banned
I guess what I'm talking about is only the JP version then. Now that box is all class.

Yep.

The Pioneer and Funi release are on two ends of the spectrum with that. Pioneer being very soft (what I used for viewing the show this summer) and Funimation's edges being hard (too much so). I prefer the Funimation quality, though neither are ideal.

The ones I have are DVDs so they naturally look "softer" being in lower resolution.
I havent seen the blurays of GSG.

Ultimadrago

The ones I have are DVDs so they naturally look "softer" being in lower resolution.
I havent seen the blurays of GSG.

Oh, I was talking about Haibane Renmei.

I haven't opened the blu-ray of Gunslinger Girl, but supposedly it's not too hot. If I find it's that bad, I'll probably check out the DVDs.

cajunator

Banned
Oh, I was talking about Haibane Renmei.

I haven't opened the blu-ray I have of Gunslinger Girl, but supposedly it's not too hot. If I find it's that bad, I'll probably check out the DVDs.

oh the HR DVDs. Yeah they have a pretty soft look. The look fits the art really well.
It gives the whole show the perfect atmosphere.
Plus, I got pretty pencilboards with it :p

Nafe

Horizon - 2

Even the romance arc is confusing me now. Girl's been dead for 10 years but Toori can describe her curves? Toori all-around confuses me. He's a semi-protagonist, yet an utterly unlikable character without any background except that he's good without trying. At least the other girl shows some form of depth to her position in life.

I also 'like' how they interrupted the exposition bit with classroom shenanigans. Glad they switched characters because the first one literally has the worst voice out of the cast.

This show is annoying to watch so far. I try hard to keep track of the setting but they keep throwing new information to me without linking it to any of the previous explained entities. That's simply bad storytelling to me. And it is demotivating to a new audience because I don't feel I get any understanding of the plot and how it actually effects this classroom, or the two semi-protagonists.

Normally I'd follow the 3-Episode Rule and drop this show if the next episode doesn't bring improvement, but if all this information dump gives way for entertaining action scenes with the likable and varied cast, I guess I can stomach my way through. But I simply do not see how this series can be so acclaimed based on these first impressions.

I posted this earlier for someone else but I can re-post it here if you want. This is what they are talking about in the two classroom sections.

---

It sounds like you're talking about the part where the history of the world is explained.

Basically in the past people had caused the Earth's environment to deteriorate and they had moved to "the Heavens", which many people think is space, but due to wars they were forced to return to Earth.

Due to the Earth being desolated the only habitable land was around Japan. This was known as the "Divine States" and those who were the descendants of those who had lived here originally lived on the land here. There wasn't enough land for people from other countries though so a copy of the land was made in another type of alternate pocket dimension that existed above the Divine States. This pocket dimension was called the "Harmonic Divine States". The devices which held the dimension in it's place were located in the Divine States.

Over time people regained more of their old technologies and thought they could return to "the Heavens" but couldn't remember how it was done or something was blocking them from achieving that. People then thought if they recreated history then they could mimic or figure out what it was humanity had done the first time.

While the Divine States was recreating a war dealing with a northern and southern dynasties the devices which held the Harmonic Divine States in place were damaged or destroyed or something which caused about half of that area to be annihilated where the rest literally fell onto the Divine States overwriting or merging with some areas of the Divine States. These areas are called "Harmonic Territories" and are recognized by the pillars of light they shoot up into the sky and have their own climates as well.

Some of those who lived in the Harmonic Divine States survived this and moved into the Divine States. They blamed those living in the Divine States for the collapse and this resulted in the "Harmonic Unification War". Those from the Harmonic Divine States were victorious and the land was split with a small part of land given to those originally from the Divine States and named "The Far East". The Testament Union was created to oversee things such as the history recreation project and put the Far East under provisional rule.

---

The History recreation thing is really kind of iffy and even some of the characters in the show question things. Many people really just watch the show for the quirky character antics and the cool fight scenes. The story does get a lot easier to follow after the first two or three episodes though.

wsippel

Banned
Horizon - 2

You'll probably come to appreciate the Aoi siblings sooner or later. Those two are some of the weirdest characters I've ever seen, but their strange behavior starts to make sense as the backgrounds and concepts become clearer.

Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike

This does remind me I need to watch the dub for this already. Bought it when it came out only to never watch it. Gotta get my Sam Rigel Flynn on!

I need to watch more of the Tales anime, only saw Eternia was it...Though First Strike would be the closest Id get to experience the Tales of Vesperia on my ps3.

You should enjoy this movie. It is basically Yuri and Flynn bromance hour plus 50 minutes.

The History recreation thing is really kind of iffy and even some of the characters in the show question things. Many people really just watch the show for the quirky character antics and the cool fight scenes. The story does get a lot easier to follow after the first two or three episodes though.

Pretty much agree with you. All of the history recreation stuff though was waaaaaaaay too convoluted and really hurts the show in my opinion.

Sekirei 4
96FPd.jpg

Don't you just hate it when you wanna make a call and your phone burst into flames?
This was/is someone's avatar right? That's how I remember when I first heard of the show in any case.
So the harem grows bigger, and apparently the bigger the harem, the stronger they get or something. And Sekirei have like a destined Ashikabi, and one of them is not to pleased about it.
Despite how the art looks sometimes, it's surprisingly well animated when it needs to be. I'm enjoying it so far.

7Th

@Aikatsu 4
Cqfy0l.jpg

1q7dXl.jpg

Blue is too gay and Pink is too dense. Pink's first fan wasn't nearly creepy enough. The posing animation at the beginning was a lot better than the CG dancing at the end.

@Saint Seiya Omega 30
IqQ9tl.jpg

WFNbyl.jpg

Good to see the show stopped pretending anyone in the main team other than Kouga and Yuna was ever relevant. Also: Umakoshi himself must have supervised these 2 cuts, they looked too good for random Toei mooks.

cajunator

Banned
@Aikatsu 4
Cqfy0l.jpg

1q7dXl.jpg

Blue is too gay and Pink is too dense. Pink's first fan wasn't nearly creepy enough. The posing animation at the beginning was a lot better than the CG dancing at the end.

@Saint Seiya Omega 30
IqQ9tl.jpg

WFNbyl.jpg

Good to see the show stopped pretending anyone in the main team other than Kouga and Yuna was ever relevant. Also: Umakoshi himself must have supervised these 2 cuts, they looked too good for random Toei mooks.

Blue seems cute.
I approve of her.
I cannot ignore this show forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom