• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
13352031609901rj7l.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE !!
what horror!

Grzi

Gunslinger Girl

q0gp7.jpg

A really good show. Great character development and some really touching stories, the Lauro/Elsa arc being my favorite. It definitely feels as though the series was planned as a 2-cour show, with the ending (although fairly conclusive) raising some questions and creating problems that the girls need to cope with. It feels bad knowing that the vision studio Madhouse had with this series ended with these episodes, I would really be looking forward to a second season made by them, but as it is, I'm just left with a small sense of curiosity for studio Artland's vision. I'll probably watch it, although I have spoiled myself on them
ruining the perfect ending of the first season.

The show looked great throughout, the art was especially beautiful most of the time, the animation was not on the same level (they especially went a bit cheap on scenes that required more complicated movements to be animated, such as Judo throws and whatnot) but it managed to look above average, especially in certain scenes.

8/10

Jormungand Perfect Order 4
tumblr_mcqwhql7q61rwv2mgo1_500.gif

The extensive flashback sequence felt unnecessary for some reason, or rather fresh to me, but then again I have been rewatching the first season and just encountered the episode where Kasper told him. However the best part of this episode for me was just all the time with Kasper and the ultimate moment
showing Jonah the kids and their little trust talk in the car

Wonder how Kasper will manage.

Oh wow the MC is so awesome that everyone audibly speaks her praises as she walks by
I'm gonna love this complex, multifaceted heroine character

(But they did the same shit in ep 1 of KareKano and I love that show so I'm just being biased)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHH?!?! YOUR THE GUY FROM BEFORE!!! MASAKA (-_-) (But she doesn't say it)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh wow the MC is so awesome that everyone audibly speaks her praises as she walks by
I'm gonna love this complex, multifaceted heroine character

(But they did the same shit in ep 1 of KareKano and I love that show so I'm just being biased)

The school shit in Codebreaker is intentionally awful. The entire school is designed to be complete idiots and just irrelevant fodder around the important characters, its actually pretty hilarious. A lot more enjoyable than say something like Kare Kano where that stuff is just unintentionally awful.

sonicmj1

Gunslinger Girl

It feels bad knowing that the vision studio Madhouse had with this series ended with these episodes, I would really be looking forward to a second season made by them, but as it is, I'm just left with a small sense of curiosity for studio Artland's vision. I'll probably watch it, although I have spoiled myself on them
ruining the perfect ending of the first season.

I don't want to watch the second season if it isn't good, and I don't want anyone to suffer something if they don't have to, but I am morbidly curious what direction the writing takes in Il Teatrino, after the obvious difference in the spoiler.

Kagami

The anime is in 720p, Crunchyroll is just upscaling it for you
That's incorrect. For some reason this myth has been really persistent.
Crunchyroll does not upscale video. They only encode 1080 if they're given 1080 source.
(That's why not all shows are availble in 1080 or even 720.)

It's of course true that most HD anime has only been produced internally at around 720 lines and then upscaled to 1080 for the Japanese HDTV broadcasts.
(Japanese HDTV universally broadcasts at 1080i. 720p broadcast spec isn't used in Japan.)
Those 1080 upscale sources are what Crunchyroll's 1080 streams are encoded from, so the animation has certainly been upscaled (although the credits are often applied afterwords at 1080) but it's not done on Crunchryoll's end.

However, even that concept of "HD anime is made at 720 lines" is out of date now, with multiple shows being produced at higher than 720 lines these days, such as Chuu2koi and Girls und Panzer, which are both over 900 lines of detail.

That's incorrect. For some reason this myth has been really persistent.
Crunchyroll does not upscale video. They only encode 1080 if they're given 1080 source.
(That's why not all shows are availble in 1080 or even 720.)

It's of course true that most HD anime has only been produced internally at around 720 lines and then upscaled to 1080 for the Japanese HDTV broadcasts.
(Japanese HDTV universally broadcasts at 1080i. 720p broadcast spec isn't used in Japan.)
Those 1080 upscale sources are what Crunchyroll's 1080 streams are encoded from, so the animation has certainly been upscaled (although the credits are often applied afterwords at 1080) but it's not done on Crunchryoll's end.

However, even that concept of "HD anime is made at 720 lines" is out of date now, with multiple shows being produced at higher than 720 lines these days, such as Chuu2koi and Girls und Panzer, which are both over 900 lines of detail.
So they have to de-interlace 1080i to show it on CR?

cjkeats

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo ep 4
This felt like a final episode and it's only 4 episodes in!
They're really laying in thick with the drama.

Aw damn, I was hoping it was just going to be more "Ahh why are you naked!?!" shenanigans.
I knew they were going in that direction after the last episode.

OceanBlue

Oh wow, this site is really interesting. How does it work? I'm not really technology or math-inclined so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh. Have they ever shown her before? I don't remember...

Well they showed her on the website during the first series because she had a part in a CD Drama and they mention her in the first episode of the first series, but other than that they probably expected you to be a bit familiar with the source material to get that final joke.

They ever gonna explain what she was doing with
Akari's panties
in her room from the first episode? Or was that just there for the lulz?
Think about why she would buy her younger sister the biggest valentines gift. And look at all the other things in her room from the first episode.

Ultimadrago

I don't want to watch the second season if it isn't good, and I don't want anyone to suffer something if they don't have to, but I am morbidly curious what direction the writing takes in Il Teatrino, after the obvious difference in the spoiler.

Yeah, it's simply staring me in the face now when Gunslinger is brought up.

Yeah, it's simply staring me in the face now when Gunslinger is brought up.

You are being spared such agony by not knowing

Only the people who stopped at S1 can know peace from such evil.

If Every singe person you asked told you how bad it is to get your dick smashed by a hammer, would you feel some curiosity and want to see for yourself?

CorvoSol

Anime-GAF, I've been back on a mecha kick these days after playing some Super Robot Wars and watching Full Metal Panic! And Gundam Wing again. Can you recommend me a recent, good mecha anime worth watching?

I'm planning to watch it aswel later on. You should watch the 1st and 2nd show, they're made by Hayao Miyazaki.

This statement needs clarification: In the first Lupin III TV series, episodes 8, 10-11, and 13-23 were directly jointly by Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki while the other early episodes were directed by Masaaki Osumi. Osumi hewed closely to the hard edge of Monkey Punch's manga, something akin to a classic spy movie, whereas Takahata and Miyazaki made it more family friendly, more like a Saturday morning cartoon. In the second TV series, Lupin III: Part II, Miyazaki only directed 2 late episodes out of the 155.

I've watched the first TV series, which is alright, but the peak of the franchise, as far I've seen anyway, is Miyazaki's film The Castle of Cagliostro, which is definitely a must-see.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Anime-GAF, I've been back on a mecha kick these days after playing some Super Robot Wars and watching Full Metal Panic! And Gundam Wing again. Can you recommend me a recent, good mecha anime worth watching?

Rinne no Lagrange

Also has an amazing OP for its first season.

Grzi

Star Driver
Shin Mazinger Z
Code Geass OVA

EDIT:
Oh, and I haven't seen the second SRW TV series, but it looked good from what little I've seen, there's some nice 2D mecha action.
EDIT 2:
And Eureka Seven AO has some nice mecha action as well, but the story is of questionable quality, to say the least. I myself have four more episodes to watch before I catch up, so I suppose I haven't experienced the worst yet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have no problem with the dude except than he call AKB0048 Chara design's great.

Well, his involvement with Basquash! is enough to make me wary of his involvement with anything.

Out of the recent mecha that I've seen, I don't even know if there's one in the past four years that I'd actually recommend to someone else. Have you seen Code Geass? It has mecha elements but I wouldn't call it the core component of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom