• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This statement needs clarification: In the first Lupin III TV series, episodes 8, 10-11, and 13-23 were directly jointly by Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki while the other early episodes were directed by Masaaki Osumi. Osumi hewed closely to the hard edge of Monkey Punch's manga, something akin to a classic spy movie, whereas Takahata and Miyazaki made it more family friendly, more like a Saturday morning cartoon. In the second TV series, Lupin III: Part II, Miyazaki only directed 2 late episodes out of the 155.

I've watched the first TV series, which is alright, but the peak of the franchise, as far I've seen anyway, is Miyazaki's film The Castle of Cagliostro, which is definitely a must-see.

Ah thanks for clarifying. Loved Cagliostro, hope the tv series is as good.

Narag

Well, his involvement with Basquash! is enough to make me wary of his involvement with anything.

Out of the recent mecha that I've seen, I don't even know if there's one in the past four years that I'd actually recommend to someone else. Have you seen Code Geass? It has mecha elements but I wouldn't call it the core component of the series.

You should be watching Shin Mazinger Z too. Embrace the Imagawa.

Anime-GAF, I've been back on a mecha kick these days after playing some Super Robot Wars and watching Full Metal Panic! And Gundam Wing again. Can you recommend me a recent, good mecha anime worth watching?

I'm not a big mecha fan, and there hasn't been much of any notable works in that genre in the past few years anyway, but I can say that the first episode of the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA is pretty good, with exciting, well-choreographed CG mecha action.

Otherwise, you're probably better served by not restricting yourself to recent works and going back to older shows you haven't seen yet, something like Armored Trooper Votoms.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z

I've been playing a lot with the Mazinger characters in SRW J and W. Guys are hilarious.

Rinne no Lagrange

Also has an amazing OP for its first season.

I'll have to check it out.

Star Driver
Aquarion Evol
Gundam Seed HD
Fafner of the Blue Sky
Code Geass Agito

Rinne no Lagrange
Gundam Age

I'm planning already on watching Gundam Seed. I saw Seed Destiny when I was in high school and thought it was okay. Except Shinn was the worst protagonist and Kira eliminated all the tension and drama from a fight.

Star Driver
Shin Mazinger Z
Code Geass OVA

EDIT:
Oh, and I haven't seen the second SRW TV series, but it looked good from what little I've seen, there's some nice 2D mecha action.
EDIT 2:
And Eureka Seven AO has some nice mecha action as well, but the story is of questionable quality, to say the least. I myself have four more episodes to watch before I catch up, so I suppose I haven't experienced the worst yet.

I didn't know there was a SRW show. I've been playing a GBA and DS version of the game. I watched a few episodes of Eureka Seven back in high school, and all I remember is that I hated the characters and their designs. The mecha were cool, but I hated the characters. On the flipside, I just watched Gundam Wing again and it really destroyed my childhood version of that show knowing that it had like, ten VAs at most, and that anybody who wasn't a main character was the flattest of characters possible. Also the plot sucks until Quatre builds Wing 0/Treize builds Epyon.

Out of the recent mecha that I've seen, I don't even know if there's one in the past four years that I'd actually recommend to someone else. Have you seen Code Geass? It has mecha elements but I wouldn't call it the core component of the series.

I've heard of it. I'll give it a look. At the moment I'm planning on watching Gundam Seed, Evangelion, and whatever the Zoids was when I was a kid (New Century 0?). But from these suggestions I should at least check out Mazinger, Code Geass, and Rinne no Lagrange.

Narag

First SRW ova kinda sucks. First SRW tv series kinds sucks due to bad cg and Ryuusei. Second OG SRW tv is lovely fanwank with appropriate ATX focus.

Grzi

I've heard of it. I'll give it a look. At the moment I'm planning on watching Gundam Seed, Evangelion, and whatever the Zoids was when I was a kid (New Century 0?). But from these suggestions I should at least check out Mazinger, Code Geass, and Rinne no Lagrange.

You won't like Rinne no Lagrange, I can tell you that right away.
Replace it with Start Driver and/or Super Robot Wars.

I'd also say you give Eureka Seven another shot, it's a really good show.

Kurita

Space Brothers 30
wGkH4.gif

See Mutta's face at the end ? I was doing the same thing.

I'm planning already on watching Gundam Seed. I saw Seed Destiny when I was in high school and thought it was okay. Except Shinn was the worst protagonist and Kira eliminated all the tension and drama from a fight.

If you thought Destiny was ok then you'll probably like SEED. Destiny is pretty much a mess especially after the first 10 or so episodes.

I didn't know there was a SRW show.

The Inspector (the most recent season, on Crunchyroll still I believe) is pretty good. One of the better recent mecha shows IMO. Love the first OP too.

fertygo

I'm still waiting the Blu-Ray for that second SRW OG anime, those glorious Obari's mech.. sucks its keep getting delayed, because its coming with super expensive bundle for the game.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'll have to check it out.

Nice, let us know what you think of it when you do.

I really don't think Rinne is what you're looking for.
But I also don't think it's a very good show in general.

You won't like Rinne no Lagrange, I can tell you that right away.
Replace it with Start Driver and/or Super Robot Wars.

Let's have him decide that, shall we?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You should be watching Shin Mazinger Z too. Embrace the Imagawa.

Trust me, that's the plan, but I'm afraid of burning through it all too quickly and having nothing left!

Well, if you're not limiting yourself entirely to newer series, might as well throw G Gundam and Getter Robo Armageddon on your plate.

Also, I hate ever nullifying anyone else's recommendations, but if you're a fan of traditional mecha, it's highly unlikely that you're going to like Rinne no Lagrange. It's a curious hodgepodge of moe and mecha that really only utilizes the most superficial elements of the mecha genre. Cute girls are far and away the main focus.

Ultimadrago

Gunslinger Girl

8/10

That's funny.
This is the same score IGN printed on the back of my Blu-Ray box.
I trusted you, Grzi...

Joking aside, I am not fond of reviews pasted to the back of boxes. For example, my Haibane Renmei box has a Zac/ANN quote pasted right above the synopsis. Secondly, the IGN Editor's Choice Award excerpt on the Gunslinger Girl box which simply states, "Impressive. 8/10" It's not the least bit informative nor helpful. Reviews are posted on the concept of authority, but I've hardly heard IGN's expertise on critiquing animation. The quote itself is even completely separated from the other two; it's tucked away in the bottom-right-hand of the body. It's quite an eyesore on the packaging. There are two more quotes, but they are lesser offenders as they at least support wording that (briefly) describes their experience.

I also don't like the eye-catcher line used to sum up Haibane Renmei: (Semi-spoilers?)
"Sometimes God can not forgive you. Unless you forgive yourself."
Explicit mention of
God
doesn't fit the mold for Haibane Renmei's approach to its themes.

I'm guessing the older version's packaging didn't have to such issues.

/XX/

Mon français est très horrible. Je ne l'ai pas pratiqué depuis l'école secondairE. :( Avons-nous un 'thread' pour pratiquer français comme DeutschGaf ?
'Et bien nous sommes deux alors, Monsieur Reg-chan, si ce n'est pour visiter CATSUKA ! Aveç un..' O.K., enough, this is tiring... but such thread here would be very interesting.

It was probably a bad to mention Del Bosque's name there.
Yeah, I understood what you meant. The truth is I don't know why I had the sudden urge to post that the moment I saw his name... maybe I still have a grudge against him or something ('y eso que me cae bastante bien, por lo que he visto de él').

the secret best thing kyoani's made is shiawasette naani
Or handling on their own some good Shin-chan episodes.

Japan doesn't outsource to Korea much these days; Philippines is cheaper.
Vietnamese people suddenly make for indispensable background artists, apparently.

Having actually seen the entire movie, I feel the need to mention that anyone dissing individual scenes of KnK5 is doing the movie an injustice because while individual scenes might seem out of place or weird when viewed on their own, the entire movie itself a visual tour de force which builds upon every scene and every moment, both visually and musically, and flows in such a brilliantly engineered way that it all works.
True, if only because Tetsuya Takeuchi's work looked to be on a class of its own! :p

What's with your Manabi Straight obsession lately?
I was going to mention that again! And I assumed the Blu-ray release could be it (http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43227944&postcount=15423).

CorvoSol

CorvoSol, have you seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

All I know about that show is that Galaxies are thrown like ninja stars. And people have big orange glasses, I think.

Well, if you're not limiting yourself entirely to newer series, might as well throw G Gundam and Getter Robo Armageddon on your plate.

Also, I hate ever nullifying anyone else's recommendations, but if you're a fan of traditional mecha, it's highly unlikely that you're going to like Rinne no Lagrange. It's a curious hodgepodge of moe and mecha that really only utilizes the most superficial elements of the mecha genre. Cute girls are far and away the main focus.

Well, I'll give it a shot all the same. I mean, Full Metal Panic! Isn't entirely a conventional mecha show, and I'm pretty sure that it's my favorite of all time, and I found that on a gamble, so I'll go ahead and at least watch the first episode.

But if there are Rei clones in any of these shows, warn me ahead of time. Cannot STAND Rei clones anymore.

Grzi

That's funny.
This is the same score IGN printed on the back of my Blu-Ray box.
I trusted you, Grzi...

Joking aside, I am not fond of reviews pasted to the back of boxes. For example, my Haibane Renmei box has a Zac/ANN quote pasted right above the synopsis. Secondly, the IGN Editor's Choice Award excerpt on the Gunslinger Girl box which simply states, "Impressive. 8/10" It's not the least bit informative nor helpful. Reviews are posted on the concept of authority, but I've hardly heard IGN's expertise on critiquing animation. It's just an eyesore on the packaging. There are two more quotes, but they are lesser offenders as they at least support wording that (briefly) describes their experience.

I also don't like the eye-catcher line used to sum up Haibane Renmei: (Semi-spoilers?)
"Sometimes God can not forgive you. Unless you forgive yourself."
Explicit mention of
God
doesn't fit the mold for Haibane Renmei's approach to its themes.

I'm guessing the older version's packaging didn't have to such issues.

But I wrote my impressions, however brief they may have been. :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
All I know about that show is that Galaxies are thrown like ninja stars. And people have big orange glasses, I think.

Well, I'll give it a shot all the same. I mean, Full Metal Panic! Isn't entirely a conventional mecha show, and I'm pretty sure that it's my favorite of all time, and I found that on a gamble, so I'll go ahead and at least watch the first episode.

But if there are Rei clones in any of these shows, warn me ahead of time. Cannot STAND Rei clones anymore.

Take Rinne off your list (it's a bad show by itself, let alone the mediocre mecha elements), and replace it with Star Driver and TTGL then.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Confession: I've never seen anything from the Full Metal Panic franchise, so I don't know just how unconventional it is apart from there being some kind of loli military commander. Hope these all end up being good recommendations for you, then!

Oddly, Rei clones are most prevalent outside of the mecha genre now.

Mediocre show.

This is not the prevalent opinion.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
No its not. Smh.

But it is. Dumb characters? check

dumb plot? Check

Dumb highschool hijinks? Check

Dumb everything? Check

CG mechs? Check

Rinne is a bad show with mediocre mecha elements.

Star Driver is an otherwise average show with oh-god-my-eyeballs-are-melting-from-the-awesome mecha elements.

watch Star Driver instead.

Grzi

Star Driver is a mediocre show with oh-god-my-eyeballs-are-melting-from-the-awesome mecha elements.

Although I wouldn't say Rinne is a bad show (the first season is well made, if nothing else, the second is a lot worse), I must say your description of Star Driver is spot-on.

I dont see how theres really an argument as to which was the superior or more enjoyable mech anime to watch. Star Driver was far and leagues better and more enjoyable than Rinne no Lagrange. It was really unbalanced in some departments and could have used more action.

But it is. Dumb characters? check

dumb plot? Check

Dumb highschool hijinks? Check

Dumb everything? Check

CG mechs? Check

Star Driver is an otherwise average show with oh-god-my-eyeballs-are-melting-from-the-awesome mecha elements.

The mechs aren't CG though.

Starting Getter Robo Armageddon myself, along with watching Armored Trooper Votoms. Oddly enough, watching JoJo got me in the mood for them :).

It's a curious hodgepodge of moe and mecha that really only utilizes the most superficial elements of the mecha genre. Cute girls are far and away the main focus.

I suppose in a way this is why I find it interesting. Not the best show I've even seen, but it's entertaining. I do like the design of the Vox's.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I suppose in a way this is why I find it interesting. Not the best show I've even seen, but it's entertaining. I do like the design of the Vox's.

I'm actually pro-Rinne myself (well, S1 anyway). I'm just trying to detach my personal preference long enough to give an unbiased assessment to an interested mecha fan, hah.

The mecha was generally the weakest part of the show, but then again that ties into the question of whether or not the whole intergalactic conflict stuff was even necessary to begin with.

Sounds like I should watch Star Driver.

I echo some of the sentiments here...it's not a perfect show but it is certainly worth it for the mech action. I thought the designs were a bit odd at first, but Tauburn really grew on me. This is a show that I'd even say is worth getting on BD...I'm certainly glad I did. Nice OST as well.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 3

~The freedom to "not get involved" is perhaps the most valued freedom we have in this country~

A very interesting episode, lifting the curtains on the Free Planets Alliance, which hadn't happened before like with the Empire. It is immediately clear that the Secretary of Defense is aiming to build up the spirit for "total war". Yang Wenli is smart enough to know he's considered, above all, a living piece of propaganda and refuses to take part in that. He doesn't really like being a soldier, and ideologically he has come to hate war. It was already obvious he was less militaristic than Reinhard, but this particular nuance wasn't explored before.

The OP and ED are nice, but both very subdued, which fits the slower-paced tone to me.

The mecha was generally the weakest part of the show, but then again that ties into the question of whether or not the whole intergalactic conflict stuff was even necessary to begin with.

Oh, I certainly do agree with you on that...the show pulls in a lot of disparate elements (superficially, at that) that didn't mesh well and result in a mediocre at best product. I was told by many here that S2 especially was quite bad, so I set my expectations as low as possible (like, Green Green low). Came away at least somewhat entertained, if greatly disappointed because I thought there was some potential there in S1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom