• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Chu2 5

I wasn't really feeling this episode at first but the way they handled the maths test by using it to
highlight Rikka's social exclusion and the distance she feels from her older sister
instead of the usual melodramatic crap pretty much sold it. :bow kyoani :bow

But everyone was telling us that it was impossible for Chuunibyou to actually handle those themes without turning into School Days when we brought this up as the show was starting!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My dog was old. Dogs die when they get old. I however hate the reinforcement that people like stupid shit.
Nerds have shit tastes everywhere, unfortunately.

But everyone was telling us that it was impossible for Chuunibyou to actually handle those themes without turning into School Days when we brought this up as the show was starting!
Who was the crazy person who said that?

jman2050

idYWSz3zW2D9x.gif

pro pencil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRr9NG7RE0

Noirulus

Genius Party - Baby Blue

rPAcF.png
Dem clouds! If only they were moving.

Shinichiro Watanabe's short from the Genius Party anthology. I don't have anything special to say about the story, which I thought was solid (reminded me a lot of Shinkai's work), but there were some moments that I genuinely enjoyed in this short.

The bicycle chase between the main characters and the policeman was great; many different angles, smooth animation, and efficient use of shaky-cam made for an exciting scene. It's further enhanced by the fact that everything before this scene was slow-paced and intimate, with the two main characters sharing a conversation and reminiscing over old memories.

It was also a pleasure to hear only short bits of dialogue between the main characters. There was a lot of weight in each dialogue, and you can really feel the emotion near the end when we find out what the main character's motive in skipping school to travel with his friend was.

Might be nitpicking, but the CG cars in one of the scenes near the beginning made me cringe. Completely took me out of the film for a few seconds.

9oXxE.png
Ohgodwhy.jpg

Voice acting and the soundtrack (composed by Yoko Kanno) were excellent. A good film overall.

Nafe

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 27

i8e1Ml.png

Maybe it's just me as I've only seen about two or three episodes of one of the earlier Lupin shows but the girl in the picture here looks a lot like Mine Fujiko to me.

Pretty much agree with you. All of the history recreation stuff though was waaaaaaaay too convoluted and really hurts the show in my opinion.

I have to admit that knowing the course of events and kind of using that as a bargaining chip to help have things swing your way in a negotiation or debate is kind of an interesting idea.

The way they are shown to bend the rules of their history recreation does make the idea of people needlessly dying kind of silly though. Their wars should be done more something like the American Civil War recreations where when someone gets hit, they don't actually die but just pretend and lie there. It should be the same thing with people depicting important historical figures. They should just have to retire from the role and not have to actually die or be killed. I think that whole part of the history recreation is really dumb and unnecessary.

It's also true that some of the complications can be different for different people depending on your familiarity with certain actual historical events.

@Aikatsu 4

@Saint Seiya Omega 30
IqQ9tl.jpg

WFNbyl.jpg

Good to see the show stopped pretending anyone in the main team other than Kouga and Yuna was ever relevant. Also: Umakoshi himself must have supervised these 2 cuts, they looked too good for random Toei mooks.

I'm a bit behind on Saint Seiya Omega but I thought of Umakoshi as well as soon as I saw those pictures in your post. Especially that second picture of Kouga seems familiar to his style.

I have not. But if you're hinting at some goodness I'm about to!

My yuri vision definitely isn't as strong as yours so I'm not sure what all you'd be able to find in Horizon but it does have some more fairly obvious moments such as these two girls depicted here:(Potential Spoilers for Horizon)For SDBurton

Chuu2 5

qsdE2l.jpg

One step closer to the curling anime of my dreams. Make it happen KyoAni!

I haven't seen the episode yet but I have to admit that the character composition in that shot combined with your line made me laugh. Just looking at Nibutani's posture and facial expression, she definitely seems to have dropped the nice girl act.

How does that even make sense? How does a quest or event allow one race to progress? Do they get some super buff? I mean if they haven't figured it out in around a year then people would say the game was buggy or broken. I mean usually most MMOs are figured out in three to four months max. After that amount of time, I think the analysis that it's impossible or broken is probably correct.

That is literally the most stupid game mechanic I've ever seen. I mean it's like putting a carrot in front of a donkey and letting them chase it for an undefined amount of time. At some point you gotta pay off. Looking at the recent crashes of MMOs, there is no way this game would have lasted a year before being shut down due to players giving up on it.

Except that's it's supposed to be the first "safe" virtual environnement , where you can fly at will .. you think those issues are enough for players to give up on this ?

Besides , if even regular players like leafa are aware of the problems that means that maybe something is going on ..why do you think some people tried to exploit the flying system ( when they got asuna picture ) ..it's because players are still looking for the secrets leading to completion while playing ..
I won't go into spoilers but maybe there is something you don't know yet or maybe each faction still has some plan to tackle the main problem by itself ?
i mean isn't the main character supposed to do by itself what an entire race of players can't ?

Instead of saying : "this doesn't make any sense" , maybe you should think "maybe there is more to it than just that"..

----------------------------------
Hayate no Gotoku Can't Take My Eyes Off You - 05
For the first time i'm happy by an episode of the new hayate no gotoku ..
first because i think i know how this anime might be placed in the manga timeline ...

i was skeptical when the anime used this character and the other "otaku" ( forgot his name ) in the old house in ep 2 ..but now i know why ... i think it's safe to assume those events have already taken place and that nagi retrieved her house by some means ...it's complicated since maria is still 17 ( meaning that some events that should have happenned haven't happenned yet ) or is it just carelessness of the anime production ?
I don't know ... hina has her shinai and the "upgraded masamune"..too i'm totally confused

the show is still weird they are using manag events as if it's common knowledge without respect of the timeline but at least there is some sense ...

About the show itself ... maria is perfect blablabla the whole deal with tsugumi is okbut i have the feelign i won't care ...
Is tsugumi a con artist ? that would be a nice twist

PigKHl.jpg

there is an awefull lot of space in there ... but dammit i wish i could play ikaruga with that setup too

"The last one standing pays" is from the manga here it was somewhat changed to include tsugumi and the things works correctly ..
This doesn't matter much but some scenes were clearly done in correct hayate no gotoku style :
Those 2 in particular..
oRMUAl.jpg

I'm wondering that myself ATM ..curse you NFS, AC3 , XILLIA 2 & VLR !!

RkX2ll.jpg

Intense but not enough

Overall good episode best one of the "new" season concerning the hayate episodes ..may they kept this path untill the end

wonzo

Banned
I agree. This was handled really well and was something I wanted the show to handle earlier. Also the sister truly is top-tier.
sister > nibutani > pillow #0005 > *

I... don't remember this at all.

Narag

Maybe it's just me as I've only seen about two or three episodes of one of the earlier Lupin shows but the girl in the picture here looks a lot like Mine Fujiko to me.

She acts like it early on. In fact, the four member crew that J9 consists of all acted and felt like Lupin characters early on until they came into their own. Fairly well convinced it was intentional at this point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't seen the episode yet but I have to admit that the character composition in that shot combined with your line made me laugh. Just looking at Nibutani's posture and facial expression, she definitely seems to have dropped the nice girl act.
It's funnier with the animation. lol
It's also probably the first time I've seen anything curling related in an anime! HURRY HARD!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - 05

Wow, really solid episode. I was expecting a
sappy story about Rikka's loneliness to show up sooner or later but they actually handled it well.
And even I can see the obvious chemistry between her and Yuuta. That's okay though I still have the OTP of DekoxMori.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - 05

Wow, really solid episode. I was expecting a
sappy story about Rikka's loneliness to show up sooner or later but they actually handled it well.
And even I can see the obvious chemistry between her and Yuuta. That's okay though I still have the OTP of DekoxMori.

Hot. :D

Mandoric

Banned
Can someone explain to me what the hell these Precure shows are?

Toei decided they needed a new Sailor Moon. They looked at their '90s-'00s model for Kamen Rider, which involved little boys watching to see men in rubber suits beat up monsters while Mom left it on because it starred the latest heartthrob actors.

The solution? A magical girl show with lots of makeup compact-themed transformation item toys for little Hanako, while Dad doesn't just flip over to golf because they put the Dragon Ball Z fight choreography staff on the job and did a season with animation direction/character design by the guy from Casshern Sins.

7Th

Yes. You goddamn BroCures.

Magical girl anime has a long history of being deliberatedly appealing to older male audiences.

I'm a bit behind on Saint Seiya Omega but I thought of Umakoshi as well as soon as I saw those pictures in your post. Especially that second picture of Kouga seems familiar to his style.

They last less than 1 minute, but the 2 scenes are the emotional climaxes of the episode and they scream Umakoshi.

Soma

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 05

ib7jwu3hjxMcQ.jpg
ib1N8EyrzOwI8R.jpg

Some rather nice scene compositions and background art this week.

Another quality episode and five episodes in it still surprises me how much I've been enjoying this show. [potential hyperbole]If the show continues to be this enjoyable to the end, Kyo Ani will be 2 for 2 in my AOTY list by the end of the year.[/potential hyperbole]

So many good scenes (
the shrine scene, the pool scene, the "serious" house scene, etc.
) and the main subject matter was handled very well. Each character that's been introduced has been very entertaining, even if Dekomori can be a tad bit obnoxious. Rikka is downright adorable and it was nice for the story to highlight some of her inner issues. Great ending. Ahhhhh I love this show.

Also
50%
class average? Damn kids these days!

Instro

Chuunibyou 5

Dark Flame Master all up in this. That final scene was really sweet.

Some really cool background art this week as well, I particularly liked Rikka's room all stuffed with random shit.

Cwarrior

Im only this way because One Piece deserves the very best production values, which are only felt during a few of the movies

Your expectations and standards are unrealistic, it's tv anime no one going spend the time and budget of a movie (a few millions) to make each episode.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead - 11 OVA
6t0gKl.jpg

The best way to hold someone... the best way to check someone identity !!!
Not a bad episode ...it wasn't bad ..but it wasn't great either ... i guess what it missed what a better plot device for ayumu adventures to be more intresting ..
Still after "only" 10 ep for season 2 ..i glad i can see more ...and we need an S3 !!!

XUqlFl.jpg

I NEED a S3 !!! ASAP !!

Mature

So I live on the west coast of the US and it's always disappointing to go into an electronics store and look at the paltry/non-existent anime selection. Today I went to a super huge electronics department store called Fry's Electronics and damn not only is there anime selection still there, but it's much bigger than last time I went. And, what's more, they have a sizable shelf space in the blu-ray section dedicated to anime. Something I've definitely not seen before.

I also saw a 3D TV that had a (3D) trailer for the new Cyborg 009 movie? I didn't know how to approach that. Anyway, kudos to Fry's for putting on life support what most other places are pulling the plug on.

Uchip

Banned
Your expectations and standards are unrealistic, it's tv anime no one going spend the time and budget of a movie (a few millions) to make each episode.

obviously
but it could be done similar to Hellsing Ultimate and have each arc as a standalone movie
which they did for a few, of varying qualities

jbug617

Banned
Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! 5

3 parts of the episode stood out to me.

When Yuuta discovers how lonely Rikka really is and that the club is really the only thing she has. You can get a little teary eyed.

The next scene after that with Rikka's sister and Yuuta's sister. It really cut the tension from the previous part. I chuckled when they went with the realistic house.

Dark Flame Master make his appearance at the end. You know Yuuta enjoyed doing that for Rikka and the episodes ends with Rikka running away blushing.

Cwarrior

obviously
but it could be done similar to Hellsing Ultimate and have each arc as a standalone movie

Hellsing ova treatment is a great idea, right now were kinda sort of getting something slightly similar to that with stuff like episode of nami (and movie 8 and 9) but i would rather if they split each arc into 2 movies(or one 3hr length movie lol) so they don't have to cut stuff out.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! 5

Much of it was boring and dull, however the last few minutes were so worth it. Love Yuuta so much
Dark Flame Master needs to show up more often

Though I do want her circle to stay together, Id hate friends to be split up cause the group fell :(
Oh actually, I did like the two Imouto's moment, smaller Imouto was funny.

Narag

Hellsing ova treatment is great idea, right now were kinda sort of getting something slightly similar to that with stuff like episode of nami (and movie 8 and 9) but i would rather if they split each arc into 2 movies(or one 3hr length movie) so they don't have cut stuff out.

It'd certainly make the show more accessible to newcomers, I'll say that much.

Mandoric

Banned
obviously

The problem is that Hellsing's mainly bought by twentysomethings who have $80-$100 to throw down per episode, while One Piece's target market is prepubescent and regularly have to pool their allowances to buy a $4 copy of Shonen Jump to share if they also want to get gum, soda, or Pokemon cards that week.

It's also a really bad way to keep your brand out in front of the mass market unless, like Hellsing Ultimate, the series is over but there's fan demand for a recap.

Jarmel

Banned
Jormungand 16-

Oh yea this is far and away better than the first season. It actually reminds me a bit of the second season of GITS in that we're now focusing on the crew and their backstory. I really wish this had higher production values though as the material itself seems fairly decent.

The first season at best might be classified as average but this is actually kinda good.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The problem is that Hellsing's mainly bought by twentysomethings who have $80-$100 to throw down per episode, while One Piece's target market is prepubescent and regularly have to pool their allowances to buy a $4 copy of Shonen Jump to share if they also want to get gum, soda, or Pokemon cards that week.

It's also a really bad way to keep your brand out in front of the mass market unless, like Hellsing Ultimate, the series is over but there's fan demand for a recap.
Couldn't they take the theatrical OVA approach and let people see it in theaters as a cheaper alternative

Do kids go to theaters in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom