• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Chuu2 5

It finally hit me that this is literally the closest I am ever going to get to some more fabulous Lulu Code Geass action :(

God bless this show. Rikka is so damn adorable.

Narag

Interesting. In that case, I think I would like the character representing Jigen the best. Is it an actual mecha show or does it just have mecha like elements in it?

It's mecha by a formality really. They do the space merc action thing then use the robot to wrap up an ep. It's not as much of a focus as I thought it'd be and sometimes it'll appear for under a minute just to make an appearance. Frankly, it'd be better without.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, man, I got mocked for liking Pokemon when I was in elementary school. Being "too old" for something is just another layer of shame on top of one that's already there. I have a list of several hundred other anime that I'm considered a deviant/manchild for liking by the court of public opinion if you'd be interested in seeing it!

That said, I don't think that watching something in the privacy of your own home is quite analogous to putting yourself in a taboo social situation on public display. There are some things that you just don't do in public because the right to do whatever the hell you want is vastly outweighed by the utility of not being a social outcast, but if you can't feel free from the judgment of other people in your own private space, where can you?
Yeah, that's a fair approach. At the very least, PreCure is probably the most overtly "for kids" thing that I've intentionally sought out and watched in a long, long time. I guess with Sailor Moon I have the excuse of nostalgia and with the random DoReMi episodes, it was staff-whoring. lol

But hey, let's all be BroCures together!

I like how the subject uses Chinese. Clever satire. :p

cajunator

Banned
iC1sfPK4BcLjS.gif

This GIF makes me so tired. I have stuff should be doing instead of making GIFs.

God.
Im going to go home and die watching this.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Dear diary,

I watched three anime episodes today. A new record!!

Good idea!

Dear diary,

I'm making quite the effort in marathoning Suite Precure today. Who would've thought I'd get so involved with this show? Not me!

Oh, I've also realized today that anger management classes may be in order. Because I've been hankering to slap the s*** out of firehawk12 for his shenanigans lately. :D

No, no! Firehawk12 is a respectable council member of the Rose. I'll settle for the thumbtacks in shoes route instead. Yeah. That sounds good. On another note...

I find myself becoming wary of our impending doom with each passing day. Some days I find myself staring at Tomat and catching a brief glimpse of the darkness that lies within his heart. If only Hitokage was still here...

P.S. I'm going to piss in my next bottle of apple juice and leave it in the fridge for the others to find. That'll teach Ultimadrago, Envelope, Mad Pierrot, and Darkside to stop drinking my shit!!!

Nafe

Well, any curling anime would be something. lol

Get on that and start a kickstarter! Haha

In the wrong way. :p

Haha

Sakuga, I expect!

Well, sakuga certainly never hurts.

The Heartcatch movie has consistently good animation, a fun script and excellent direction!

Rie Matsumoto magic!

Yeah, that would help. Episode 3 is still one of my favorite episodes of SSO. I'm watching a lot of shows right now but as soon as I finish one or get more time, I think I'm definitely going to go ahead and get started watching Heartcatch.

It's mecha by a formality really. They do the space merc action thing then use the robot to wrap up an ep. It's not as much of a focus as I thought it'd be and sometimes it'll appear for under a minute just to make an appearance. Frankly, it'd be better without.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure by the little bit I saw when looking up the show.

cajunator

Banned
Hey, man, I got mocked for liking Pokemon when I was in elementary school. Being "too old" for something is just another layer of shame on top of one that's already there. I have a list of several hundred other anime that I'm considered a deviant/manchild for liking by the court of public opinion if you'd be interested in seeing it!

That said, I don't think that watching something in the privacy of your own home is quite analogous to putting yourself in a taboo social situation on public display. There are some things that you just don't do in public because the right to do whatever the hell you want is vastly outweighed by the utility of not being a social outcast, but if you can't feel free from the judgment of other people in your own private space, where can you?

Post list.
Poooooooooost

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

You speak the truth Pierrot, you speak the truth.

Sometimes I wish I was honest about some of the weird shit I like. Probably never will be though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, that's a fair approach. At the very least, PreCure is probably the most overtly "for kids" thing that I've intentionally sought out and watched in a long, long time. I guess with Sailor Moon I have the excuse of nostalgia and with the random DoReMi episodes, it was staff-whoring. lol

But hey, let's all be BroCures together!

And, y'know, it ain't our fault that the kids' shows that aren't mahou shoujo almost never get any kind of English translation. Would you feel less weird about watching Precure if, say, you were getting in some B-Daman and Danball Senki and Inazuma Eleven and Yu-Gi-Oh on a weekly basis too? There's some semblance of a thematic spectrum beyond just cute girls in the plastic-shit-peddling genre, but it's mostly locked away from gaijin eyes.

I still liked Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and whatever into adulthood so the "demographic" stuff never even occurs to me because I never experienced a "growing out" process to begin with. Although I didn't follow Precure until I marathoned Heartcatch early last year, and even then that was initially only because of Umakoshi. Admitting this is going to make me sound like such a loser, but I think I'm so attached to the franchise regardless of quality now because blowing through Heartcatch got me out of the worst (at the time) emotional low of my life and I look to this shit as my one reliable ray of sunshine each week. It's colorful and optimistic and the themes are simple and positive and I just need that. So when I'm being a terrible apologist for the franchise like I am right now, it's only because my appreciation doesn't necessarily rely on quality. I would have never touched this stuff when I was in college and leaned way more monocle than I do now!

Yes, please. How can we judge ourselves without your list to go by?

The joke was just going to be that I would link to my MAL, thereby implying that no anime is socially acceptable to like!

SDBurton

Suite Precure - 23

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

First time I read this I took it as shipping Dekomori with herself.

Oh crap! I just noticed.

P.S. I'm going to piss in my next bottle of apple juice and leave it in the fridge for the others to find. That'll teach Ultimadrago, Envelope, Mad Pierrot, and Darkside to stop drinking my shit!!!

And this is why ..diaries should be kept personal ...imagine if cajun , kayos or chet made their diaries public ? ( don't deny i have accurate sources that told me that you all had diaries )

Mandoric

Banned
The joke was just going to be that I would link to my MAL, thereby implying that no anime is socially acceptable to like!

You're allowed to like Ghibli, and maybe vaguely remember Dragon Ball, One Piece, and whatever Gundam was on TV when you were 14.

Knowing that Goku's voiced by a girl or mobile suit model numbers is right out, though.

Mandoric

Banned
welliguessthat'sthat.jpg

If you have children, a whole wide world of knowing these things opens back up.
If you're of the age to have children but don't, you can pass it off until the person you're talking to discovers that you're buying that action figure for yourself.
Solution: Buy online, direct from the manufacturer!

SDBurton

And this is why ..diaries should be kept personal ...imagine if cajun , kayos or chet made their diaries public ? ( don't deny i have accurate sources that told me that you all had diaries )

I'd be interested in reading Cajuns. I'd bet there'd be many "hnnnnnngs" and "cute" throughout the entries. Kayos' would be a wall of text leading to a tl;dr. Chet's diary entries would be awesome.

Kidding Kayos90!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If you have children, a whole wide world of knowing these things opens back up.
If you're of the age to have children but don't, you can pass it off until the person you're talking to discovers that you're buying that action figure for yourself.
Solution: Buy online, direct from the manufacturer!

Whenever I plop down an armful of Pokemon plushies at the Wal-Mart cash register, I always make sure to ask what the return policy is because "I'm getting these for my niece's birthday and she might have some already".

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd be interested in reading Cajuns. I'd bet there'd be many "hnnnnnngs" and "cute" throughout the entries. Kayos' would be a wall of text leading to a tl;dr. Chet's diary entries would be awesome.

Kidding Kayos90!

None taken. lol.

Nafe

I've thought it kind of funny how diaries used to be under lock and key and kept in a drawer or under a bed or something and now people feel compelled to use Facebook or twitter or something similar to tell everyone in the world what they're up to, assuming people actually care and thinking of themselves as some sort of mini celebrity or something.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
sRO2H.jpg

Code Breaker Episode 2

Smug Face - The show

Chuunibyou Show Episode 1-

Oh Rikka

Saw this on imgur

95RLx.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've thought it kind of funny how diaries used to be under lock and key and kept in a drawer or under a bed or something and now people feel compelled to use Facebook or twitter or something similar to tell everyone in the world what they're up to, assuming people actually care and thinking of themselves as some sort of mini celebrity or something.

After reading this I'm now inexplicably sad. I'm going to bed!

Jarmel

Banned
Shin Sekai 5-

This is without a doubt the worst directed episode I've seen in a long while, topping the clusterfuck AO one earlier in the year. I'm sitting there wondering if the whole episode is a dream sequence because of how badly directed it is. The lack of transition scenes, the ridiculous filter, the change in artstyle, and the camera angles really made this episode a mess.

Kagami

Source. One better than the Japanese magazine publishers' trade group, or a really good explanation of how two-thirds of Jump readers are U-14 and 90% are still in compulsory education but its biggest title skews that far away.

Or how the TV show rated like this in 2011:
54e4b6d6b028cdf6913a3dbcd5fe5eb4.png

(KID is 0-1, TEN is 13-19, 1, 2, and 3 are 20-34, 35-49, and 50+ by gender)

Well there's three ways of following One Piece.
Two are the ones you listed--people who read Jump, and people who watch the One Piece cartoon.
But there's also the people who buy the tankoubon but don't (or no longer) buy Jump.

Adults reading comics but lacking interest in their cartoon adaptations is supposedly pretty common.
And if the only comic you're interested in in Jump is One Piece, and if you're not the type to worry about seeing the newest chapter as absolutely fast as possible, then you just buy the tankoubon. (i.e. "コミックス派" people)

So it's certainly possible for such a thing to be true without contradicting the Jump readership and TV ratings you posted, but as to whether it really is or not...you're not the only one raising an eyebrow at the conclusions being drawn from Kinokuniya's data:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1355335713

Kidding Kayos90!
Dear diary,
While bored during class, I ended up doodling shit. Then after that I watched an episode of Sekirei. Today was a good day. I hope to draw bigger and better things tomorrow!​

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And, y'know, it ain't our fault that the kids' shows that aren't mahou shoujo almost never get any kind of English translation. Would you feel less weird about watching Precure if, say, you were getting in some B-Daman and Danball Senki and Inazuma Eleven and Yu-Gi-Oh on a weekly basis too? There's some semblance of a thematic spectrum beyond just cute girls in the plastic-shit-peddling genre, but it's mostly locked away from gaijin eyes.

I still liked Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and whatever into adulthood so the "demographic" stuff never even occurs to me because I never experienced a "growing out" process to begin with. Although I didn't follow Precure until I marathoned Heartcatch early last year, and even then that was initially only because of Umakoshi. Admitting this is going to make me sound like such a loser, but I think I'm so attached to the franchise regardless of quality now because blowing through Heartcatch got me out of the worst (at the time) emotional low of my life and I look to this shit as my one reliable ray of sunshine each week. It's colorful and optimistic and the themes are simple and positive and I just need that. So when I'm being a terrible apologist for the franchise like I am right now, it's only because my appreciation doesn't necessarily rely on quality. I would have never touched this stuff when I was in college and leaned way more monocle than I do now!

Ever since I got rid of cable, watching kids shows isn't even an option for me... I'm not even sure how to watch Pokemon nowadays. lol

And you know, I remember reading PonyGAF's reasons for watching that show when the whole thing about being a Brony was a thing (how quickly internet fads die), so I can understand finding something optimistic or fun about a show and just sticking with it. I suppose that's the same as me finding :firehawk to be an uplifting experience and why I will always be a lifelong SatoJun fan.

I guess there's also the interesting idea of feeling nostalgia for a concept rather than for an actual text. The fact that they're also in junior high probably adds a lot to that feeling as well.

But anyway, like what you like. Why not!

Nafe

After reading this I'm now inexplicably sad. I'm going to bed!

I meant it more along the lines of someone's "deepest, darkest secrets" like having a crush on someone or doing badly on a test were things they would write down but never share. Now people seem to openly and gladly share this very personal information with complete strangers.

As for the latter "assuming people care", I meant that silly stuff like posting what they had for lunch. The kind of essentially pointless information one would find these celebrity stalking type shows or websites to cover.

I didn't mean this as an attack on anyone, just an observation of the total contrast in how people handle their personal, private information.

Mandoric

Banned
Well there's three ways of following One Piece.
Two are the ones you listed--people who read Jump, and people who watch the One Piece cartoon.
But there's also the people who buy the tankoubon but don't (or no longer) buy Jump.

Adults reading comics but lacking interest in their cartoon adaptations is supposedly pretty common.
And if the only comic you're interested in in Jump is One Piece, and if you're not the type to worry about seeing the newest chapter as absolutely fast as possible, then you just buy the tankoubon. (i.e. "コミックス派" people)

So it's certainly possible for such a thing to be true without contradicting the Jump readership and TV ratings you posted, but as to whether it really is or not...you're not the only one raising an eyebrow at the conclusions being drawn from Kinokuniya's data:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1355335713

Adding to the mix, Kino's mostly relatively upscale/urban locations, isn't it? I can definitely see most One Piece purchases there being made by adults just because I can't see most of the stores sitting on little kids' walks home. Whether these purchases go on the shelf of a normal guy who started at 15 and is now 30, on the shelf next to a figure, or get handed over at the dinner table as an apology for being home late are three completely different fates we can't divine even from that.

Now, this certainly isn't arguing that no adults read OP, but with 3 million or so sales a volume (and for tanks only I'd definitely buy that a greater proportion are longtime fans in their mid-late 20s) you can literally sell more to adults than any other comic sells at all and still only account for 20% of your readership.

rpmurphy

Bit the bullet and ordered the OreImo DVD set. Is there any news of a Blu-ray set coming? The Japanese box set is too expensive... D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom