• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

The problem is that Hellsing's mainly bought by twentysomethings who have $80-$100 to throw down per episode, while One Piece's target market is prepubescent and regularly have to pool their allowances to buy a $4 copy of Shonen Jump to share if they also want to get gum, soda, or Pokemon cards that week.

It's also a really bad way to keep your brand out in front of the mass market unless, like Hellsing Ultimate, the series is over but there's fan demand for a recap.

88% of one piece fans are over the age of 18 with 32% being 30-49yrs old.

the problem is a lot of one piece fans are normal people and aren't crazy enough to pay $100+ per episode.

Mandoric

Banned
Couldn't they take the theatrical OVA approach and let people see it in theaters as a cheaper alternative

Do kids go to theaters in Japan?

They could! At which point we're back to "why don't they do it all as movies", and the answer "because that doesn't sell anywhere near as much merch or keep the B, C, and D teams employed".

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - 04

Fv43E.png
VSRGj.png

Sorata finally
finally gets his shit together and puts an end to his self wallowing pity party of being normal.
Still bitter that best girl has the hots for player-kun, but whatever.

Now... in the perfect world:

Speeding down the hallway, Sorata clumsily delivers his confession of love to his teacher. Chihiro, confused at her student's awkward behavior, takes the note and unfolds it.. opening a door leading to an unknown destination filled with happiness, pain, and love. Will they have the strength to face the challenges that will come their way?

Cwarrior

Couldn't they take the theatrical OVA approach and let people see it in theaters as a cheaper alternative

Well they already did that, Movie 8 is a remake of the alabasta arc, movie 9 is a remake with a few changes of drum island/chopper arc.

Hanamaru Youchien

Fuck anime, just fuck it. One of these days, I'mma quit this hobby. And when that day comes, I will know true happiness.

Uchip

Banned
Hellsing ova treatment is a great idea, right now were kinda sort of getting something slightly similar to that with stuff like episode of nami (and movie 8 and 9) but i would rather if they split each arc into 2 movies(or one 3hr length movie lol) so they don't have to cut stuff out.

one long movie would be best, as they're so self contained and the break in continuity would kind of suck
Water 7 with the giant waves would greatly benefit from some really nice animation

It would cost more than their pocket money to go iirc
Being One Piece, you would sell plenty of adult tickets

Nafe

She acts like it early on. In fact, the four member crew that J9 consists of all acted and felt like Lupin characters early on until they came into their own. Fairly well convinced it was intentional at this point.

Interesting. In that case, I think I would like the character representing Jigen the best. Is it an actual mecha show or does it just have mecha like elements in it?

It's funnier with the animation. lol
It's also probably the first time I've seen anything curling related in an anime! HURRY HARD!

It might be kind of interesting to see a curling anime. I don't know what it would be like though and it seems that it would maybe get all those super power type moves added to it to make it more exciting like that tennis anime that people have posted gifs of here.

They last less than 1 minute, but the 2 scenes are the emotional climaxes of the episode and they scream Umakoshi.

Right, they definitely do scream Umakoshi, haha. Maybe it's too early but have you read or heard when the next episode he'll be more involved in is? I mean like episode 20 or 27 as far as direction or key animation. I'm not sure if it's really a good guide to go by but I took a quick look at Heartcatch PreCure staff listings and it seems kind of comparable where it's almost every ten episodes or so as far as that kind of thing. It looks like he was more involved in the last two or three final episodes though which I imagine is what will happen with SSO.

Thanks for the heads up! Added to list! :D

They're kind of really NSFW so I don't want to post links to any just in case of getting banned but if you look up even official artwork for the show you'll definitely find pictures you'll like.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's the Japanese version of My Little Pony. The difference is that since no one else knows what PreCure is outside of Japan, it's not creepy for 20-something dudes to watch it. lol

I didn't know you secretly harbored so much self-loathing over watching Smile. Don't project it on the rest of us!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
They're kind of really NSFW so I don't want to post links to any just in case of getting banned but if you look up even official artwork for the show you'll definitely find pictures you'll like.

You don't say.... must resist urge to search.

Instro

Space Bros 30

Probably the best episode of the series. Great in all aspects, and some pretty impressive visual direction. Of course its rather appropriate given the nature of this episode, but none the less they really brought it all together for this extremely important moment in the series. One knock is that they probably dont have enough talent in mechanical art for this show, there were a couple instances where you could tell they were going for some detailed art, but it didnt look all that nice. Too bad because this episode does sport some pretty nice art in other areas. Like I said though, really well directed episode, loved a lot of the shot selection and how the camera was being used in many scenes. They made great use of blurring to separate between foreground and background while using camera pans to switch between the two layers, good stuff. That last shot of the launch is perfect.

cajunator

Banned
Considering how shitty work is tonight (end of month its very difficult to find fuel allocation) chuunibyo is exactly what I need to feel better again.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kumin had so many scenes this episode. Everyone got to show off, now that I think about it. That was a really nice thing about this episode.

Yeah, it was nice seeing her get more screen time!

Considering how shitty work is tonight (end of month its very difficult to find fuel allocation) chuunibyo is exactly what I need to feel better again.

I hope it ends quickly. I can promise you'll have some hnnnng to look forward to! :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rick sucks anyway.

Magical girl anime has a long history of being deliberatedly appealing to older male audiences.
I think the real test is would you go to a PreCure movie if you didn't have a child?

http://i.minus.com/iWpJx7C5XDiqb.gif

It's just really funny when you watch it, in my opinion. I don't feel like GIFs convey the scene well.
Yeah, but it still looks fun anyway. Dat curling!

The secret is out! Quickly, to the PrettyMobile!
I heard Bill Clinton is a BroCure too!

It might be kind of interesting to see a curling anime. I don't know what it would be like though and it seems that it would maybe get all those super power type moves added to it to make it more exciting like that tennis anime that people have posted gifs of here.
I would hope it would be super serious and be about Japanese (girls) trying to qualify for the Olympics!

I didn't know you secretly harbored so much self-loathing over watching Smile. Don't project it on the rest of us!
It's true though. I think only one person on GAF has a legitimate reason to watch PreCure and go to the movies - his daughter is a fan. lol

Don't get me wrong though, I do like Smile, but I am also under no illusions about the fact that I'm way out of the demo. :p

Mandoric

Banned
88% of one piece fans are over the age of 18 with 32% being 30-49yrs old.

Source. One better than the Japanese magazine publishers' trade group, or a really good explanation of how two-thirds of Jump readers are U-14 and 90% are still in compulsory education but its biggest title skews that far away.

Or how the TV show rated like this in 2011:
54e4b6d6b028cdf6913a3dbcd5fe5eb4.png

(KID is 0-1, TEN is 13-19, 1, 2, and 3 are 20-34, 35-49, and 50+ by gender)

Of course people in their 30s are seeing it in good numbers. But those are the same patterns as you see for Precure or any other kid's show, where Taro or Hanako flips it on on Saturday morning and it's good enough background noise for Dad while he reads the paper or Mom while she cooks. If you want an example of actual non-latenight shows with an older demographic, you're looking at Geass R2 or Gundam AGE and those look COMPLETELY different.

Edit: The dip in TEN is the key indicator. If no teens are watching but kids and 20s-30s adults are, that almost always means the 20s-30s adults are watching with their kids. Most shows that use adults as their target demographic are low in KID because it goes over their head and then higher in TEN as they either grow more mature or want to pretend they are.

SAIN SEYA OMEGA 30
bamtrl.jpg

Raaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

this was a good episode ..i was thinking they would end it like that but to my surprise it's not over yet ..
The omega saga continues to deliver and this episode was great ..

The secret is that 99% of PreCure fans are 30 year old males!

they were in their twenties when precure started ..not their fault they couldn't stop after all this time !!!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's true though. I think only one person on GAF has a legitimate reason to watch PreCure and go to the movies - his daughter is a fan. lol

Don't get me wrong though, I do like Smile, but I am also under no illusions about the fact that I'm way out of the demo. :p

What does not being the target demographic have to do with the "legitimacy" of your enjoyment?

I'm sticking with what I already said: secret self-loathing!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only to Heartcatch's, which is the only legit decent Precure movie. It even has Jex's seal of approval!
What about PreCure All Stars!

What does not being the target demographic have to do with the "legitimacy" of your enjoyment?

I'm sticking with what I already said: secret self-loathing!
I dunno, I guess it's one of those things where anything involving small children is sketch because of all that implies. lol

The same way that it'd be weird for a 30 year old to hang outside an elementary school looking for kids to trade Pokemon with. But maybe that's just some misguided hangup that I have. :p

wonzo

Banned
precuredemographics.jpg

Precure’s target demographics:
Girls ages 4~9
Men ages 19~30

sub-targets
Girls ages 10~12
Men ages 16~18, 31~35​

i can't read japanese so i don't know whether or not this is bullshit tho

trejo

#Realtalk: Some of the fight scenes in Heartcatch are way more badass than anything I've seen in Saint Seiya Omega so far, save perhaps for episode 20.

Nafe

I would hope it would be super serious and be about Japanese (girls) trying to qualify for the Olympics!

I think I would prefer a more realistic approach as well. Something a little more over the top could be fun too though, you never know.

Haha, wouldn't that put you exactly in their target demographic then?

Only to Heartcatch's, which is the only legit decent Precure movie. It even has Jex's seal of approval!

Jexhius watched a PreCure movie? What did you guys do to get him to watch it?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Dear diary,

I watched three anime episodes today. A new record!!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I dunno, I guess it's one of those things where anything involving small children is sketch because of all that implies. lol

The same way that it'd be weird for a 30 year old to hang outside an elementary school looking for kids to trade Pokemon with. But maybe that's just some misguided hangup that I have. :p

Hey, man, I got mocked for liking Pokemon when I was in elementary school. Being "too old" for something is just another layer of shame on top of one that's already there. I have a list of several hundred other anime that I'm considered a deviant/manchild for liking by the court of public opinion if you'd be interested in seeing it!

That said, I don't think that watching something in the privacy of your own home is quite analogous to putting yourself in a taboo social situation on public display. There are some things that you just don't do in public because the right to do whatever the hell you want is vastly outweighed by the utility of not being a social outcast, but if you can't feel free from the judgment of other people in your own private space, where can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom