• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not relative at all. Hyouka is factually more interested in examining and expanding its themes than Chuunibyou is. You can think that's good or bad, but you can't claim every element of a series is relative.

And no one is "suppressing" anyone's viewpoint.

Isn't that kind of hard to say when one show is five episodes in and the other has completed a full two season run? Not really a fair comparison at this point.

From the New World 5

This episode just felt weird. From the direction, to the animation; Everything about it felt off. Very weird camera cuts throughout that didn't do a good job of establishing where anything was or where things were moving. Very slow awkward animation that made things feel like they were moving at half speed. The characters even felt off. Like they were completely detached from everything that was happening around them.

Last episode we saw some great reactions to their history but in this one their lives are on the line and they don't seem to give a shit. I'm also not exactly sure what happened to the monk at the beginning.
Was he blown up by the balloon dog? Could not tell what the fuck was going on because of the camera cuts and editing.
It really was just a weird episode and I have no idea why they made some of the decisions they did.

OceanBlue

You shouldn't! Deep and shallow are perfectly valid (and useful) descriptors. What's important is that neither is inherently better than the other.

I feel like deep and shallow are too easily misinterpreted and I don't like misunderstandings.

I can't collect my thoughts fast enough. Whenever I finish typing a few sentences, I check the page and everyone has already said what I wanted to say! D:

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Suite Precure - 28

6ZPdZ.png

Cats finally out of the bag about the
fairy tones missing their notes. And it looks like we'll be heading to Major Land soon? Woot!

Depends on what is meaningful to a person.
Its relative to personal experiences and what an individual feels is relevant to their life or not.
This is one thing about criticism of a show as objectively good or bad.
People look for different things when they watch something.
Sometimes they just want something funny or cute. Sometimes they want depth and story.
Sometimes they want abstract ideas or themes.
No two people watch anime and extract the same experience. Thats why anime is so enjoyable.
We all have different views about it.
Suppressing anyones viewpoint because its too lowbrow or highbrow is kind of missing the point of this community.
By that same token, I don't think it's fair to just wave away the depth that's present in Hyouka by reflexively claiming that it and Chu2(ChuChu!?) are no different or that Hyouka "isn't saying much at all." Particularly since you seem to know that these things aren't true.

People poopooing that Chu2 isn't Hyouka may be doing it wrong, but that doesn't mean that you need to fight fire with fire.

Isn't that kind of hard to say when one show is five episodes in and the other has completed a full two season run? Not really a fair comparison at this point.
Also this.

cajunator

Banned
I feel like deep and shallow are too easily misinterpreted and I don't like misunderstandings.

I can't collect my thoughts fast enough. Whenever I finish typing a few sentences, I check the page and everyone has already said what I wanted to say! D:

We're over your shoulder watching you type! :)

Thoraxes

Chuunibyo is definitely better than Hyouka was though.

I agree in every way.
The Sekitani Jun arc is about conformity and scapegoating. The student film arc is about hubris and manipulation. The school festival arc is about envy and expectations. That's just the most surface-level and shallow, succinct analysis. There's many other sub-themes as well as the character arcs of each of the four leads.

You can apply things like this to any show though. It doesn't make them better. I could say that To Love Ru is a show about exploring romantic relationships and how Rito struggles to willingly meet the expectations of Momo. School Days is a show about trust issues, and exploring the emotional responses to relationships in a hormonal high-school environment where manipulation and true feelings change the ways the characters interact with one another, and explores these themes to the fullest.

wonzo

Banned
I do think the the latest episode of Chuunibyou touched upon the themes of social exclusion far more than the first 4 episodes where it was really just an afterthought but it's still at a pretty superficial level, especially when compared to the kind of stuff you'd see in Hyouka.

Robotics;Notes 4

Ahh, it turns out the idol in the last episode was just some socially retarded channer living a double life. Fortunately, this episode focused more on other stuff than just her living out her sadlife delusions. It seems that
the show's gonna continue to focus on the little robot battle tournaments
and slowly flesh out the back-story surrounding
the incident(/s?)
so I'll keep watching as things are starting to get somewhat interesting.

Oh, and I can't forget about the douchey holster things because this episode fucking delivered in spades.

cajunator

Banned
By that same token, I don't think it's fair to just wave away the depth that's present in Hyouka by reflexively claiming that it and Chu2(ChuChu!?) are no different or that Hyouka "isn't saying much at all." Particularly since you seem to know that these things aren't true.

People poopooing that Chu2 isn't Hyouka may be doing it wrong, but that doesn't mean that you need to fight fire with fire.

Also this.

Yeah youre right because iits no better than what im arguing against.
You are wise.
Truthfully Id rather just enjoy the show.
The biggest criticism I have with Hyouka anyway is they didn't feature Misaki more.
She was by far the most interesting character.

Durarara!! 4 - 7

Quite a few of the episodes have had me laughing so much. The whole one with Kida going throw just the past day or so with Mikado and their love triangle thing getting into random odd events had a good friendship moment. Then the whole episode on Shizuo's past and his numerous incidences landing in the hospital after throwing household appliances, desks, and signposts (none of his peers thought it was weird, or worst no one questioned why he always had broken bones or needed to be in the hospital?!). Best moment
when he an Izaya were in the highschool and he finally realized that Izaya was sending everyone after him, that scream of anger. I like Izaya more but I would want to see somehow if they can end up in a draw or Shizuo someone getting Izaya for once

I think the whole (both) mysteries are compelling, for awhile I thought Dollars was some made up colorless thing but
its actual real and recruits members, just what is its goal and who is its leader? And theres supernatural beings other than Celty/Dullahans/ Scary

Favorite new character introduced, Shinra, adds something to the group, and really makes Celty more comedic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do think the the latest episode of Chuunibyou touched upon the themes of social exclusion far more than the first 4 episodes where it was really just an afterthought but it's still at a pretty superficial level, especially when compared to the kind of stuff you'd see in Hyouka.

Like I said, Rika exposing herself so much is the first time that the show takes a real turn for the serious. Even look at how that scene is framed right after she says it - it's a medium 2-shot with the characters off to the side - so you know it's a moment that is deliberately off-kilter.

This is the whole Pet Girl thing but taken to the other side of the realism spectrum, which is why it's interesting.

Hell, if you want to be an ass, you could say that it's basically glee. You even have a cheerleader forced to join the "losers" for reasons beyond her control. :p

MCD

http://myanimelist.net/manga/14975/Darker_than_BLACK_-_Shikkoku_no_Han

Yo boss duckroll, is this line here true:

Taking place after the events of Darker than Black and replacing the events Ryūsei no Gemini completely, Hei (BK201) and Yin return to Tokyo to investigate how a Black Dandelion is granting Contractor-like powers to people who come in contact with it.

I read and watched everything DTB and this is actually the first time I've read this part. Is this for real?

And please no Gemini hate blablahblah. Tired of this shit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You can apply things like this to any show though. It doesn't make them better. I could say that To Love Ru is a show about exploring romantic relationships and how Rito struggles to willingly meet the expectations of Momo. School Days is a show about trust issues, and exploring the emotional responses to relationships in a hormonal high-school environment where manipulation and true feelings change the ways the characters interact with one another, and explores these themes to the fullest.
This is being obtuse.

OceanBlue

Chuunibyou isn't as ambitious of a story compared to Hyouka in my opinion, but you also have to consider that the narrative structures for Chuunibyou and Hyouka are different. Chuunibyou is much slower than Hyouka because Hyouka covers multiple arcs compared to Chuunibyou's one arc.

The themes are just being introduced slower because the arc for Chuunibyou is longer. It will take longer for Chuunibyou to reach the climax and resolution, where it will show how it approaches the themes of growing up and social exclusion.

Edit: Also, I'm kinda becoming more curious about Robotics;Notes. The characters just sound so wacky.

cajunator

Banned
Like I said, Rika exposing herself so much is the first time that the show takes a real turn for the serious. Even look at how that scene is framed right after she says it - it's a medium 2-shot with the characters off to the side - so you know it's a moment that is deliberately off-kilter.

This is the whole Pet Girl thing but taken to the other side of the realism spectrum, which is why it's interesting.

Hell, if you want to be an ass, you could say that it's basically glee. You even have a cheerleader forced to join the "losers" for reasons beyond her control. :p

I dont mind a shift in focus in the show at all.
Its understandable that people can get tired of the chuunibyo antics and want something more.
I do as well.
Just as long as they dont fully drop the antics.
Rikka has that personality and it defines her so Im hoping that the characters grow in a way that controls their behavior but still aknowlexges
That it exists.

Thoraxes

I hope that you would at least be able to acknowledge that the music of Hyouka is way better than that of Chuunibyou.

I totally agree with you (especially the incidental music)! I also bought the OP1 and ED1. I liked their use of keyboard percussion especially in the incidental music.

This is being obtuse.

I don't think so. These are themes present in the shows, and the shows explore them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dont mind a shift in focus in the show at all.
Its understandable that people can get tired of the chuunibyo antics and want something more.
I do as well.
Just as long as they dont fully drop the antics.
Rikka has that personality and it defines her so Im hoping that the characters grow in a way that controls their behavior but still aknowlexges
That it exists.

Well, I'm arguing that the show was about that alienation all along though.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I'm arguing that the show was about that alienation all along though.

It always was.
People were expecting it based on the title meaning.
It suggests that Rikka may realize her ways are not conducive to a relationship with Yuuta so she may try to change.
But before that happened they had to show the scope of Rikka's personality and how it was beginning to affect her social life.
It definitely is a super cute personality though to some of us watching so we hope she doesn't change a whole lot.
its clear something does have to change because the future of their club and Rikkas school career rests on her passing her studies.

Kazzy

It definitely is a super cute personality though to some of us watching so we hope she doesn't change a whole lot.

Whilst it may be fun for now, it would be a great disappointment if she doesn't significantly change during the course of the show. I doubt she'd be the same if she dropped her self-absorbed personality.

OceanBlue

Speaking of music, I actually like Chuunibyou's music. It isn't as nice as Hyouka's, but it's catchy and fits the slice-of-life mood (whatever that means, lol). I really like Chuunibyou's music over the music that Satoru Kousaki has done with KyoAni. I hope I see Nijine's name in more of KyoAni's works.

There's actually one song in particular I really like. They use it for a lot of easygoing family scenes.

cajunator

Banned
Whilst it may be fun for now, it would be a great disappointment if she doesn't significantly change during the course of the show. I doubt she'd be the same if she dropped her self-absorbed personality.

I agree we cant have both.
That why I hope she at least learns to keep it under control but not get rid of it completely.
She can still be silly at home for example.
Kind of like how I can be a crazy hyperactive person, even at work.
But I know what is acceptable and what isnt and what my responsibilities are.
Im still crazy at my core though and a manchild.

Branduil

You could say it, sure, but no one except ANN would take you seriously.

Geneijin

Speaking of music, I actually like Chuunibyou's music. It isn't as nice as Hyouka's, but it's catchy and fits the slice-of-life mood (whatever that means, lol). I really like Chuunibyou's music over the music that Satoru Kousaki has done with KyoAni. I hope I see Nijine's name in more of KyoAni's works.

There's actually one song in particular I really like. They use it for a lot of easygoing family scenes.
You say this after watching the Disappearance movie?

OceanBlue

You say this after watching the Disappearance movie?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That one is good too. The Disappearance soundtrack is better than the Chuunibyou soundtrack.

That being said, the tracks I like most from the Disappearance soundtrack weren't actually composed by Satoru, lol. They were composed by Ryuuichi Takada, Keigo Hoashi, and of course, Erik Satie. The Satoru tracks are better than the Chuunibyou tracks though. I just wanted to mention that. :D

Edit: This one is good too! Man, I need to watch this movie again....

Kazzy

2, 13, and 15 my friend.

I like the first track so much because it's the familiar theme used to evoke a certain sense of place. Just the way it's adapted to work as the brief respite, before the (otherwise) sombre nature of the film takes over; it sets the mood perfectly.

cajunator

Banned
Just started Mahoromatic and after the first episode I like the premise. Hope it continues to be good.

I love me some android meido especially of the gainax/shaft variety but the show doesnt go where you would expect it to.
Remember gainax are pretty excellent at trolling.

Branduil

Perhaps illustrating an example in how Hyouka does so would be helpful to further discussion as it may not be fairly obvious to someone like me.

The most obvious example is the School Festival Arc, although it's present throughout the series. Throughout the arc we see Mayaka's attempts alienation in the manga club, Satoshi's eagerness to solve the mystery, and Chitanda's difficulties in convincing others to help her. All three of these tie in to the arc's themes of inadequacy, envy, and high expectations.
And of course the mystery itself is about these as well.
The arc masterfully takes several disparate plot strands and weaves them together both thematically and narratively. It's one of the best-realized story arcs in anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The most obvious example is the School Festival Arc, although it's present throughout the series. Throughout the arc we see Mayaka's attempts alienation in the manga club, Satoshi's eagerness to solve the mystery, and Chitanda's difficulties in convincing others to help her. All three of these tie in to the arc's themes of inadequacy, envy, and high expectations.
And of course the mystery itself is about these as well.
The arc masterfully takes several disparate plot strands and weaves them together both thematically and narratively.
To be fair, that's 12 (13) episodes in though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True, but you can also use other episodes, like 5, and the film arc, as examples. Heck I'd even say episode 7 had more thematic depth than much of Chuunibyou.
The thing is that Chuu2 spent the last four episodes on set up and introduction. It's only now that they've started going into what I assume is the main thrust of the show's arc.

OceanBlue

True, but you can also use other episodes, like 5, and the film arc, as examples. Heck I'd even say episode 7 had more thematic depth than much of Chuunibyou.

In my opinion, it's not very fair to compare the themes of an arc with a resolution to a story that hasn't reached its climax yet. Whether the lack of resolution 5 episodes is a problem is another issue, I guess.

I would almost argue that Hyouka doesn't really start till then.

Ehhh, I don't know if I can agree with that. I thought Hyouka was fun and interesting the entire way through, and everyone as characters were being developed even in the beginning.

Dresden

zetsuen no tempest - 05

It's nice to want things.

jgDJhl.jpg

Unfortunately for Yoshino, he'll always be stuck in the shitty play-construct of a relationship with a dead girl. A part of him surely knows his role in the play, yet he hopes for more, knowing the girl will never return it.

---

At this point we're pretty much just staring into the abyss, hoping that it doesn't stare back. We're speeding near the point in the story where everything goes rotten--here's to the hope that Ando can pull this off.

Geneijin

Are you arguing for or against this music?
For. Watanabe agreed and I listed other compositions by Kousaki for the Disappearance movie.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That one is good too. The Disappearance soundtrack is better than the Chuunibyou soundtrack.

That being said, the tracks I like most from the Disappearance soundtrack weren't actually composed by Satoru, lol. They were composed by Ryuuichi Takada, Keigo Hoashi, and of course, Erik Satie. The Satoru tracks are better than the Chuunibyou tracks though. I just wanted to mention that. :D

Edit: This one is good too! Man, I need to watch this movie again....
Same.

I like the first track so much because it's the familiar theme used to evoke a certain sense of place. Just the way it's adapted to work as the brief respite, before the (otherwise) sombre nature of the film takes over; it sets the mood perfectly.
If we're talking about favorite tracks, then many of mine are not by Kousaki too like OceanBlue :lol

Kagami

I just learned that Crunchyroll has achievements. These don't really mean anything, do they?

They might have been vaguely interesting if they worked like one expects achievements to work, but making them monthly makes them pointless.

Thoraxes

Ehhh, I don't know if I can agree with that. I thought Hyouka was fun and interesting the entire way through, and everyone as characters were being developed even in the beginning.

It's just my opinion lol.

I would take the second half of the show over the near-linear first half any day of the week. The change in pacing and in character development are like two almost completely different shows.

Dresden

chuunilite - 06

That was shonen as hell. Who knew water balloons could be so analytically shonen-time?

1stmT.jpg

A pity that this is the last of the Lite episodes. I've enjoyed the lot.

OceanBlue

Umm, just so no one misunderstands, I'm not trying to stifle discussion or anything like that. If I come off that way, I'm sorry. I really enjoy the discussions that go on here. I just think that the climax and the resolution are important to the themes of a work, because that's where the message of the story really comes through. I think everyone can agree that a story having "growing up" as a theme is less important than what it says about growing up.

If I'm really stifling discussion, please let me know and I'll try to watch myself. I know people were making a big deal out of it before and I want everyone to enjoy posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom