• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of Hanazawa characters, look whats shipped on its way to my house:
moSXC.jpg

PRAISE THE LORD

Maedhros

Hyouka finale

Just like I've thought... even the ending message was subtle and slow. A fitting ending for the series.

Overall, I can't really say I've loved this show. It was pretty, it had some interesting characters (Oreki > Satoshi >= Mayaka > Chitanda), but it was mostly boring. Seriously, there's no better word to describe this show for me.

I think it was trying to be a lot of things, but in the end, it didn't really exceled in any. It was okay, though, I've endure far worse shows than this one.

Welp... the next KyoAni series will be FMP and K-On (giving a second chance). Next season, though.

OceanBlue

Why would you care to be critical of a show when everything is just an opinion, it's just subjective, everyone has different tastes, etc?

I guess this is one of the problems with how I approach discussion of criticism here, and it shows in the attitude I take towards responding to criticism I don't agree with. To me, there isn't a "right" way to interpret a scene and a series. I'm much more likely to be dismissive of different opinions, so I think I understand what pizzaroll and Geneijin have been trying to get at. It's not like I've never looked at posts I've disagreed with and thought, "This guy is wrong," either.

Discussion about why a certain scene might cause people to interpret it in a different way than I do is more of my thing. For example, I agree with curlyfriski that Hyouka can be faster-paced than a lot of people give it credit for. Maybe, the reason people think it's slow is because some of the initial, one-off mysteries aren't really related to the main characters (which goes back to what Duckroll said about how even the plainer mysteries were more enjoyable to him after he became attached to the characters and how Thoraxes said the second half picked up). It could also be that it has more to do with how Hyouka hides its main objective (the development of a cast which not everyone seems to like) behind mysteries rather than things like the pacing of the dialogue and the length of each scene.

At the same time, I can see how my opinion on things can lead to people just dropping their opinion and leaving. I don't enjoy threads like that so I can see why people might not like it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
That's not an answer. Yes or no. Which?

I don't have the time right now to fully discuss all the syntaxical tangents this discussion will inevitably lead down, sorry

Furthermore, reductionism, especially when it comes to criticism, is bad, and I'm disappointed in you and pizzaroll for supporting it

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hash tags are lame. It's all about greentexting lately.

> Implying you can green text on this forum
> mfw hyouka discussions still going on
> mfw i have no face
Fucking 4chan nerd.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka finale

Just like I've thought... even the ending message was subtle and slow. A fitting ending for the series.

Overall, I can't really say I've loved this show. It was pretty, it had some interesting characters (Oreki > Satoshi >= Mayaka > Chitanda), but it was mostly boring. Seriously, there's no better word to describe this show for me.

I think it was trying to be a lot of things, but in the end, it didn't really exceled in any. It was okay, though, I've endure far worse shows than this one.

Welp... the next KyoAni series will be FMP and K-On (giving a second chance). Next season, though.

What did you think about the themes it presented?

Risette

A Good Citizen
She wasn't even serious about that argument, though.
So what does it say about people who really do believe that all manga is equal?
Maybe this is the real reason those people don't like Hyouka. I imagine it was very offensive to them.

What a revelation.

The fact that not one, but two people would actually post something this utterly bizarre is mindblowing.

#icant

Kind of switching sides mid-argument here, but I think too much subjectivity is unhelpful to a discussion. When someone says, "I like this," or "this kind of thing doesn't appeal to me," there's nothing really to say in response to that. Analysis is better, because interpretations of a scene/episode/series can vary, but they at least have to have some basis in evidence, and can be responded to. But writing out long-winded analyses can be hard and boring.

Geneijin

She wasn't even serious about that argument, though.
So what does it say about people who really do believe that all manga is equal?
They're uninformed.

I don't have the time right now to fully discuss all the syntaxical tangents this discussion will inevitably lead down, sorry
Because you don't care?

Furthermore, reductionism, especially when it comes to criticism, is bad, and I'm disappointed in you and pizzaroll for supporting it
Edit: Do you even know what you mean by that?

Thoraxes

Again, what's the point of being critical of a show if you think everything is subjective and based on opinion? Wouldn't it be best to just not bother since your opinion is just different to others? Why bother voicing that disagreement?

You already do.

Again, what's the point of being critical of a show if you think everything is subjective and based on opinion?
Because on NeoGAF this is a thread where we post our responses, reviews, suggestions, criticisms, and opinions about Japanese Animation (that we watch) that we voice with each other through interaction using posts.

I mean, this is why I participate on message boards. To share my opinion in a community that I choose to participate in. Just because people's viewpoints are subjective doesn't mean I think someone's opinion is shit or doesn't matter or that they shouldn't be posting here; I just disagree with them. Sometimes it may be how someone else sees a show, it could be the art, the writing, the animation, or anything really.

Wouldn't it be best to just not bother since your opinion is just different to others?
If my opinion is different from others, I would still voice it because I post in the AnimeGAF thread the same reason I think many people do; which is to share what they thought of something they watched or to ask for advice on potential shows they may be interested in. I can't really say I have a reason to do it other than I like to do it, it passes the time, I happen to watch anime, and to share my opinions on shows with other people who are watching or have watched shows that I am watching.

Why bother voicing that disagreement?
Because on a discussion board we do these things. Discussion doesn't only mean to be positive over a show, and dissenting opinions do happen. It passes the time, I am a member of NeoGAF, and I happen to watch anime. I see that a lot of people here at the very least are members of NeoGAF, watch anime, and voice their agreements, disagreements, and commentaries on shows, so I decided I would come here and do the same.
Speaking of Hanazawa characters, look whats shipped on its way to my house:
moSXC.jpg

PRAISE THE LORD
That looks quite nice. Did you get it at a reasonable price?

Kind of switching sides mid-argument here, but I think too much subjectivity is unhelpful to a discussion. When someone says, "I like this," or "this kind of thing doesn't appeal to me," there's nothing really to say in response to that. Analysis is better, because interpretations of a scene/episode/series can vary, but they at least have to have some basis in evidence, and can be responded to. But writing out long-winded analyses can be hard and boring.
You might have a point if that's where this particular tangent arose. Instead, it came from pizzaroll acting smug that people had different negative opinions about Hyouka as if that made them less valid. Which was bullshit to begin with because you're the single, solitary reason that there were suddenly two vastly different and totally equivalent criticisms of the show.

rpmurphy

"At the moment our Subtitle only releases are still in a trial phase. The cost to produce Blu-Rays are 4 times that of DVDs and since no other company around the world is releasing it other than us, it really is not viable for us to be able to offer subtitled only Blu-rays at this point in time.

The audience for our product is quite small already as it is, and with a title as niche as Nichjou is, that doesn’t include an English dub, the costs are not justifiable for us to be able to offer it in that format.
We wish BD production did not cost as much as it does as we would like to be able to offer things in HD as much as possible.

Perhaps in the future if it becomes more viable, we will look into releasing/re-releasing the series on Blu-Ray, but this is not likely to happen for the next 2-3 years."​

It doesn't answer "the point", but is a Madman Ent. surface rep's take for informative measures.
Unfortunate, but the DVD release is better than nothing at all. Being able to afford importing all of the Blu-ray volumes would probably take at least a couple years lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now that we have post backlinking in quotes, the next step should be applying ignore lists to quotes that have ids.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You might have a point if that's where this particular tangent arose. Instead, it came from pizzaroll acting smug that people had different negative opinions about Hyouka as if that made them less valid. Which was bullshit to begin with because you're the single, solitary reason that there were suddenly two vastly different and totally equivalent criticisms of the show.
This is all assumption on your part.

Really, if you wanted to say this type of thing, it would be that the negative opinions are so scattered and vastly different that I can't even begin to think about what's valid in them.

OceanBlue

That's not subjectivity. That's shallow analysis. It's one thing to interpret a scene differently (and that's subjectivity) and it's another to have shallow discussion. You can have the same sort of discussion in absolutes too:

"This anime is the best anime this season."
"No, it's garbage."

In the end, of course, most people probably fall between the two extremes with a few exceptions here and there.

Defuser

Suguha Pandering Online ep 18
We get A1...Suguha got dat body. This episode is quite slow and Koyasu really knows how to voice a evil douche, fucking excellent.

Right now I'm waiting for that one particular delicious episode in the future, I'm saving up my gifs just for that occasion and it's gonna be glorious.

Maybe this is the real reason those people don't like Hyouka. I imagine it was very offensive to them.

What a revelation.

I love the way you keep finding hidden reasons for people's behavior. It's really great that you keep doing that.

Yeah at this point the argument seems like its wrapped itself into a knot. I guess my stance is just that while it may be impossible to know that an interpretation as being totally invalid, it is possible to discount certain interpretations as being unlikely/weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom