• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, even people who like Nyaruko realize that it's definitely not everyone's thing. Not even close. I fear for season 2 cause it's precisely the type of show that will completely fall apart when given another set of episodes to work with (also see: Minami-ke :( )
I dropped it after episode three or so because it wasn't my cup of tea, but not enjoying it and the tourrettes-like shitslinging it got are two very different things.

jman2050

And I know the reasons you like her. Probably related to something very otaku, like her eyes being very pretty and expressive. Her pouting. Or something moe.

Her purple demon eyes are far short of moe, pretty, expressive, any one of those terms.

Damning, horrifying, chilling, those work a lot better.

wonzo

Banned
*Jumps up and down and waves hands furiously.*

I don't like when people get bracketed into very simple "I love this so much!" or "I hate it so much it sucks" categories for no good reason. :(
Yeah, I actually enjoyed Nichijou overall but I just enjoy trolling it more~

jman2050

Nichijou is a frustrating series for me because when the jokes actually work, it totally knocks it out of the park. Some amazing material in there.

It's just surrounded by so much nonhumor it's a complete chore to watch. It's almost like modern SNL in a way.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The most important aspect in characters for me are the personality being something I can relate to. The second is how the character evolves in the show.

Considering these two reasons for Chitanda, it's pretty easy to see why I hate her.
Going off these comments and your comment about romance, it's like you're watching the show without subtitles or something. Maybe you're an alien?

Maedhros

Nichijou is a frustrating series for me because when the jokes actually work, it totally knocks it out of the park. Some amazing material in there.

It's just surrounded by so much nonhumor it's a complete chore to watch. It's almost like modern SNL in a way.

I would love if somene actually made a compilation of the good moments in Nichijou in just one episode. Seriously, there are a lot of shitty moments in the show, but when it gets funny, it's really funny.

OceanBlue

And I know the reasons you like her. Probably related to something very otaku, like her eyes being very pretty and expressive. Her pouting. Or something moe.

These are valid reasons. But that's not how I relate to characters. Like I've said multiple times, moe doesn't do anything for me.

The most important aspect in characters for me are the personality being something I can relate to. The second is how the character evolves in the show.

With comments like this, I can see how arguments don't ever get anywhere. I wonder how much you actually approve people liking characters for moe as well, seeing how your posts always are. It's interesting how you've characterized it as, "I like things that 'have depth', while you like things that 'are shallow'."

Branduil

Then I don't know why. I simply hate insistent people. She fits the bill.

I find her interactions with Oreki amusing. I think she also gets some pretty interesting characterization throughout the series, behind the moe facade she's a pretty thoughtful person with a lot of personal responsibilities and pressure she has to deal with as the child of a rich and powerful family.

Thoraxes

With comments like this, I can see how arguments don't ever get anywhere. I wonder how much you actually approve people liking characters for moe as well, seeing how your posts always are. It's interesting how you've characterized it as, "I like things that 'have depth', while you like things that 'are shallow'."

Different people like different things for different reasons?

I don't think it's a matter of depth for Maedhros -- it's a matter of testosterone. The further something is from hotblooded manly men with bulging muscles doing hotblooded manly things, the worse it is.

Maedhros

Going off these comments and your comment about romance, it's like you're watching the show without subtitles or something. Maybe you're an alien?

What's wrong? I'm not seeing the characters getting any better... maybe Oreki, only him evolved from a mass of lazyness to someone who actually likes what he does.

Also, I've said that romance is only subtle and I THINK that the show won't end in a romantic note. Or at least, I hope it won't.

Maedhros

I don't think it's a matter of depth for Maedhros -- it's a matter of testosterone. The further something is from hotblooded manly men with bulging muscles doing hotblooded manly things, the worse it is.

That's simply ridiculous. Otherwise, Tonari no Kaibatsukun wouldn't be my favourite show this season.

Ultimadrago

arnoldstareflfwf.gif

I hate you.

jk. I really like you, wonzo~. But it's hard to admit when you troll its Madman acquisition (that's stuck in some black hole over Australia)!

The abuse will never end.

*holds Ultima*

I will persevere with that masterpiece as I always have.

While I don't necessarily agree with the criticism here, I'm glad you've wrote some sentences on your standing tonight!

OceanBlue

Different people like different things for different reasons?

No, the assumption that people like things for worse reasons than others. "You may like characters for moe. I don't. I like characters that are actually developed." Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this seems a little bit derogatory to me seeing how Maedhros feels about moe. Maybe people should listen to the reasons of others instead of projecting reasons on them.

Maedhros

No, the assumption that people like things for worse reasons than others. "You may like characters for moe. I don't. I like characters that are actually developed." Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this seems a little bit derogatory to me seeing how Maedhros feels about moe. Maybe people should listen to the reasons of others instead of projecting reasons on them.

You're talking like I'm forcing people to hate what I don't like. lol
I'm just giving my reasons to why I don't like a character from a show. You forgot that I'm new here, I don't really know how everyone thinks, so I'm just trying to guess. No reason need to get offended.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There's also the issue that Chitanda isn't moe at all. She has an extremely dominant personality and exerts it on Oreki.

Moe characters tend to be passive.

Casshern Sins

Thankfully I didn't cut myself at the end of the final episode. Thank goodness Toonami aired it, otherwise I would have never watched the show in the first place

Hyouka 7-8

So I picked up Hyouka again after dropping it awhile ago. I know that this part of the series isn't the strongest, but I just don't see myself ever really enjoying this show.

First off, I didn't find it boring or slow-paced. And neither of these things would be strikes against it for me. I consider myself a connoisseur of all things boring and slow-paced. In both these episodes, in fact, I found both these episodes too fast-paced, with too many cuts. They were telling low-stake, everyday-life stories at the pace of a serious drama, as if the actions shown were supposed to have the impact of a serious drama. This out of whack relationship between form and subject matter is really my main complaint against the show. The mysteries were another part where the tone taken just seemed off to me. I didn't mind that the mysteries chosen were banal. I can see how this is a show about those banal moments. But when you treat them like matters of great importance, and expect the audience to feel likewise, your efforts are bound to fail. Case in point: the student film. The seriousness with which the student looking for help and the other club members treated a problem that really didn't matter at all (the film being unfinished) was ridiculous (on a tangent: they had to jerry-rig the fuck out of that storyline to make it into a mystery. Why couldn't they ask the sick student? Why couldn't they just make up their own ending? It's a freaking student made film. From my experience as a student, no one would give a damn if the film ended up not making perfect sense).

Hyouka has all these moments that just rub me the wrong way. Take the student film. Obviously they were trying to emulate the look of an amateur production. But at no point while watching it did I ever feel that I was actually watching a bad student film. It was more like somebody's fever dream of a bad student film, some horrible combination of cg and traditional animation told from the perspective of a video game. Then there's the characters. Just the way they speak bugs me. It's like they're mimicking the speech patterns, the behaviors of real life, but doing it inside an anime world. And dear god, the database kid. Oh how I hate him (I also hate perpetually-pouting girl, but she doesn't really play as big a role as database). His mannerisms are just so affected. He has the uncanny-valley version of a personality, half anime-quirk, half real human. Even the prettiness of the background art itself bugged me. It presents an everyday world robbed of any grit, any ugliness, any banality.

TLDR version: Hyouka is too much typical anime, not boring enough. It's yet another story about a manic pixie dream girl bringing excitement to a boy looking only to lead an everyday life.

wonzo

Banned

Yeah, when it hits the right notes it's really, really good but it's mostly held down by just how dull large chunks of it are.

http://www.abload.de/img/arnoldstareflfwf.gif

I hate you.

jk. I really like you wonzo, but it's hard to admit when you troll its Madman acquisition (that's stuck in a vacuum)!
Last time I heard it was relegated to a DVD sub only release "sometime in the future" but I'll let y'all know when that changes.

Thoraxes

If they don't give the reasons why they don't like something, what else can you do other than try to figure out what it is through assumption?

Branduil

Hyouka 7-8

The seriousness with which the student looking for help and the other club members treated a problem that really didn't matter at all (the film being unfinished) was ridiculous (on a tangent: they had to jerry-rig the fuck out of that storyline to make it into a mystery. Why couldn't they ask the sick student? Why couldn't they just make up their own ending? It's a freaking student made film. From my experience as a student, no one would give a damn if the film ended up not making perfect sense).

Not going to deal with the other criticisms right now, but if you finish the arc it actually answers those questions.

For some reason everytime I saw Chitanda in the first few episodes I thought she looked like some kinda anime moe cockroach thing.
something about her hair.

Risette

A Good Citizen
According to some, Hyouka is a very pretty show that is very boring. According to others, it's not boring enough and needs to be more ugly.

#icant

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 7-8
TLDR version: Hyouka is too much typical anime, not boring enough. It's yet another story about a manic pixie dream girl bringing excitement to a boy looking only to lead an everyday life.
You threw the dart. You almost hit the twenty but instead you hit the one to its right.

Articalys

Last time I heard it was relegated to a DVD sub only release "sometime in the future" but I'll let y'all know when that changes.
From their Facebook page earlier this week:
Q: "Hi, I was just wondering if you guys have any idea when Nichijou - My Ordinary Life is going to be released (or if it's ever going to be released for that matter). I've been waiting for news regarding that show for a long time and frankly, I'm starting to get a bit worried."

A: "Hello, we are aiming for a March release at the moment but stay tuned for the official announcement."

wonzo

Banned
Madman Entertainment Aiming to Release Nichijou – My Ordinary Life in March 2013

nichijourelease.png

While we have no other details at this time, via their official Facebook page, the Australian anime publisher Madman Entertainment confirmed that they were aiming to release Nichijou – My Ordinary Life during March 2013. As this has not yet been formally announced expect this to possibly change in the coming weeks.

Nichijou’s acquisition was announced by the company during the Sydney Supanova 2011. Given events that have occurred with Bandai Entertainment, the previous North American licensor for the show over the year it is likely to be a subtitled release on DVD.

While its availability will possibly change once a physical release is announced, if you reside in Australia you can check out Episodes 1 – 26 via the Madman Screening Room HERE.​

Sounds promising.

edit: beaten lol

Ultimadrago

Within next 11 months is what I've seen them state on their Facebook, but who knows anymore.

From their Facebook page earlier this week:

Thanks for picking out that. The sooner I can buy it, the better.

Though I still wish an English subbed Blu-Ray was on the table.

According to some, Hyouka is a very pretty show that is very boring. According to others, it's not boring enough and needs to be more ugly.

#icant

It's almost like different people have different opinions of things.

Not going to deal with the other criticisms right now, but if you finish the arc it actually answers those questions.

Probably not going to watch any more, to be honest. I felt kinda pissed off after watching those two.

OceanBlue

If they don't give the reasons why they don't like something, what else can you do other than try to figure out what it is through assumption?

You could have them explain their point of view and listen to them. You know, treat people like they have opinions to be considered instead of just part of a group that personifies things you disagree with.

I know I'm blowing it out of proportion at this point, but this type of thing bothers me. It's not just Maedhros too. He was just unlucky enough to be the post I caught when I came to this page, so I'm kinda unfairly unloading a lot of my disappointments on him. I just see this in various places and it bothers me.

Mumei

You may want to check Psycho-Pass.
Also Fantastic Children, watch it, it's great.

I have Fantastic Children on DVD and first watched it seven or eight years ago. :p

Have you seen Space Brothers? It started in spring but it's still going and it's definitely worth checking out!

And I second the Psycho-Pass recommendation.

I think I watched the first episode of Space Brothers; it's on my List of Shows I Started Watching At The Beginning of A Season That I Should Watch At Some Point (LSISWATSTISWASP, obviously).

My Little Monster (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) is pretty solid! Highly recommended. I dunno if you'll like Girls und Panzer, but I'm really enjoying that too.

Hmm

I watched the first episode of Tonari and wasn't sure about it; some things bothered me a bit. I'll try continuing it. And I'll check out Girls und Panzer. I remember reading a description and thinking it sounded a bit ridiculous.

Maedhros

#icant

Buh buhh, stop not liking what I like, buh buh.

Yup, that's exactly how you're acting. You're expecting that everyone who watched this fucking show think that it's a masterpiece. It's not.

Unless we're talking about technical things... I can't find anything wrong with the show in this aspect. Pretty, well-animated, I even love the character design now and how everyone looks like main characters from their own show, soundtrack. Pretty much top notch.

Anyway... what does K-ON means?

fertygo

When most people say "slow-paced", they aren't as annoyed with the pace of events as with the tension between them.
*snips*

Well my problem is when people talk about this to supposedly slow show. Hyouka is a slow pace show, they set that tone from the very start.. The slow thing is what they want to do, its like complaining there's no romance in movie with action genre and vice versa.

Can't complain tomato juice not taste like orange's.

I'm so psyched for that. Don't know the first thing about what happens but all the right people have hyped it up.

Well I'm afraid to give too much spoiler, but the main reason its hyped because the protagonist are much more awesome.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Buh buhh, stop not liking what I like, buh buh.

Yup, that's exactly how you're acting. You're expecting that everyone who watched this fucking show think that it's a masterpiece. It's not.

Unless we're talking about technical things... I can't find anything wrong with the show in this aspect. Pretty, well-animated, I even love the character design now and how everyone looks like main characters from their own show, soundtrack. Pretty much top notch.
I'm not acting like anything. I'm just amused at how nobody can come to a consensus as to why it's bad. Indeed, much less anything approaching a consensus, the complaints are all over the fucking map. It's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom