• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So, Magi ep5 is a Trigger production. What does that mean? Apparently nothing at all this time. They're credited for production assistance for the episode, but the episode director, animation directors, and key animators aren't any of the usual talent we would expect from Trigger/Gainax. Seems to me like A-1 is rushing the show so much they're actually running out of actual room to make episodes simultaneously, so they just borrowed Trigger's studio space and filled it with whoever A-1 decided to pay for the episode. Lol. There were 8 assistant animation directors this time. Lolol.

I'll check out the episode itself later and report back. Hopefully it doesn't suck!

Dresden

Since we've been squarejerking Hyouka, Hyouka 2013 calendar:

9CTPV.jpg

Kazzy

Speaking of affordable british anime blurays, dunno if this has already been posted. If play.com ship to you and you like the Persona 4 anime (this may have limited this to no one):

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/36734080/0/Persona-4-The-Animation-Box-1/ListingDetails.html

Seems cheap, dunno how many episodes it is though, probably half?

The UK edition is in three separate sets. The prices won't work out all that dissimilar in the end, but the rest are to be released in the new year, so there is that to consider too.

Does that Madoka image suggest what I think it does?
Shit.

Reknoc

The UK edition is in three separate sets. The prices won't work out all that dissimilar in the end, but the rest are to be released in the new year, so there is that to consider too.

Does that Madoka image suggest what I think it does?
Shit.

So it's not too bad, though by the end, if they're roughly the same price you'd probably end up spending close to what FMA: Brohood Complete costs.

On the plus side at least it has a UK release date, unlike other Persona 4 related things!

wonzo

Banned

Instro

Code Breaker 5

Man this episode was really cool, would have been perfect if Sakura had gotten knocked out again. The action was really exciting, and the episode does a really good job of beating it into the audience that these bad guys are really bad dudes. That's one thing I totally like about this show, sure the good guys are actually bad guys, but the bad guys are really bad guys. You know just how fucked up the bad guys are when you are completely fine with everyone getting wiped out by Ogami or the other Code Breakers. I loved the water and flame animation this week too, lots of fluid motion both in the fight sequences and in the other segments as well. Ogami's fight in particular is fun because you get to see that neat interaction between his flame and the bad guys water attacks. Hell, even the tears have this nice exaggerated quality to them. It's silly, but great at the same time. Magneto is not quite as interesting because the CG clashes with the normal animation too much, but his fight was good as well.

I'm really glad that was no cop out ending either
Ogami made sure to kill that chump, its rather shocking how much Sakura is able to forgive considering what he was doing to those kids. I was kind of hoping he would burn the guy's daughter too, really cement that heel personality
. I hope Sakura starts getting a bit more involved in the action in futre episodes though, she's getting a lot more useless as the episodes progress and her role as the voice of reason is growing tiresome considering no one actually listens to her, although that is pretty hilarious in itself. Her personality is great during comedy scenes and so on, so it would be nice if she had more to do than just sitting back during action episodes. It's kind of dumb really, because she is clearly well trained in martial arts yet she let that fat guy run right past her to get out.

Thoraxes

duckroll

Magi - Episode 5

Yup, this is more like it. First episode 4, and now episode 5. The Kouga Arc was adapted pretty much perfectly imo. The production values might not be super high, both episodes were outsourced, but goddamn they made it work. Solid storyboarding, good scripting, and everything just felt right for Magi. I really enjoyed the whole arc. If only the first 3 episodes were like this. There was a great balance between drama and action this week, and like the previous episode you can just feel that they're letting the characters breath and develop.

Surprisingly, they faithfully adapted the
entire female Djinn scene from the manga. Complete with bouncing breasts, nipples, piercings and all. It was pretty lewd! It's extra impressive given that this show airs at 5pm on Sundays on a major free to air broadcaster. Sure she was blue but it's still really lewd!
The only downer this week is that the music still kinda sucks. Especially the action tunes. I was actually thinking for half the episode that the music was actually improving, but nope, the action starts and I start going deaf. :/

Hopefully the series narrative continues to be as strong as this arc, especially in terms of tone and flow. They really nailed it here. Even if the entire remaining series sucks, at least we got 2 episodes of the Kouga Arc done well! Lol, lowered expectations. :(

Jex

[CØDE:BREAKER] - 5

It's everything that I expected and more. Bad guys licking knives, '...Mr. President', child abuse, mental breakdowns, HEROES OF JUSTICE, super-powered battles and little kids begging for the bad guys to be killed. Glorious.

So I am currently watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Magi, Shin Sekai Yori, and Zetsuen no Tempest of the shows airing this season, and Revolutionary Girl Utena for older shows. And I just finished watching Natsume Yuujinchou San and will be picking up the next season soon.

Any recommendations for standout shows this season that I'm not watching?

K is worth checking out. It stands out visually and is the most ambitious project this season with its unique modern soundtrack and large cast that seems to really interact well with each other.

wonzo

Banned
CØDE:BREAKER 5

Man, this show simply never fails to deliver with the cheese. Everything's so black and white it's still fucking hilarious. The abused/
DEAD
kids, the evil henchmen, the crazed government official, crippled wheelchair moe with murderous rage, and let's not forget the hilarious monologues:

HE IS A HERO BECAUSE HE KILLS BAD PEOPLE BUT HE'S NOT A HERO BECAUSE HE'S EVIL AND KILLS PEOPLE

also these linecrawl placements just have to be intentional

You'd think that their pricing model is enough of a deterrent.
I think they've pretty much given up on that outside of Aniplex at this stage.

I've never imported from Europe (only Japan), so this explains a lot. Thanks!
No probs~

Westlo

Hopefully the series narrative continues to be as strong as this arc, especially in terms of tone and flow. They really nailed it here. Even if the entire remaining series sucks, at least we got 2 episodes of the Kouga Arc done well! Lol, lowered expectations. :(

Well next arc is probably going to get similar treatment and than we have plenty of time for Balbadd, they can't mess this up from now on... can they?

Also dat Paimon and dat djinn equip. I'm betting Volume 13's cover will be shown earlier in dat scene.

Infinite Stratos is one of the worst things ever inflicted upon the world by Japan. I'm glad the light novels were cancelled.

Infinite Stratos being canceled was only a setback, Yumizuru Izuru's new weapon After School Battle is unleashed!

Same illustrator as well obviously... Also dat Charlotte figure is godlike Cajun.

That's a rather bizarre decision. Like being back in the VHS days.
Please tell that to index corporation

Good news for me i guess ?

Well next arc is probably going to get similar treatment and than we have plenty of time for Balbadd, they can't mess this up from now on... can they?
They can ..i'm still not happy about how they handled the first dongeon..

Also dat Paimon and dat djinn equip. I'm betting Volume 13's cover will be shown earlier in dat scene.

Infinite Stratos being canceled was only a setback, Yumizuru Izuru's new weapon After School Battle is unleashed!

Same illustrator as well obviously... Also dat Charlotte figure is godlike Cajun.

Maybe this time the author will provide some decent vilain for his plot ..

Jex

You can't keep a good harem-generating man down.

C - The Money Of Soul and Possibility Control (1-11) End (Funiub Watch)
tumblr_lo3ae5mISm1qhpdu4o1_250.jpg

Fun and good rewatch on the blu ray HD set. Actual set is good cause of the hard box they give to house the bd and the dvd discs in separate cases. Funimation ought to do more of these, or perhaps the whole market as they are really convenient and look much nicer on my stack.

Anyway the ending theme looks so good and vibrantly colorful and perhaps the best aspect to having it on the bd. Works well to complement one of the best school food punishment songs (RPG), I still miss the group :(

I still wish the anime was longer or received another season as their was so much potential and seeing how the various financial markets handled collapse and C never got old. Virtual worlds having effects on the real world ought to explored more in anime concepts.

Mezzoflation Scored Earth, or even Macroflation Economic Blockade did look great and often mindblowing.

Dub cast was solid, probably one of funimations better ones. Only downside to the dub is that we completely lose the part when Jennifer Sato is speaking in English.

Oh well it was enjoyable will probably watch a third time next year.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
So I am currently watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Magi, Shin Sekai Yori, and Zetsuen no Tempest of the shows airing this season, and Revolutionary Girl Utena for older shows. And I just finished watching Natsume Yuujinchou San and will be picking up the next season soon.

Any recommendations for standout shows this season that I'm not watching?

gintama

Westlo

They can ..i'm still not happy about how they handled the first dongeon..

They pretty much butchered the dungeon arc to provide enough time for Balbadd, Magi's 26 episodes IIRC so they'll have 19 episodes to cover it which is more than enough. That's a little under 2.5 chapters an episode, which is much better than the dungeon arc which stuffed 16 chapters into 3 episodes.

Maybe this time the author will provide some decent vilain for his plot ..

But the main MC's denseness was an awesome villain for the plot of selecting a girl, unbeatable.

Hunter x Hunter 54
tumblr_mcy5ftVqIq1rqbr7yo1_250.gif
tumblr_mcy5ftVqIq1rqbr7yo2_250.gif

Well the whole first part of the episode was so awesome. Kurapika just smiling all huge and stuff after being all depressed at the hilarious antics of Killua/Gon. I had to rewatch that part as it was just so good seeing them all happy like throwing pies, too bad Gon never got one in. Should have made it longer. They do them so well animated. And for Gon and Killua the Hunterpedia was hilarious.

The rest of the episode wasnt as lighthearted funny, though because of it it made the ending revelations all that more powerful.
Ultimately this wasnt what I had expected the reveal of the spiders still being there would be like. I thought Hisoka would have cut contact and the main crew under the belief that the leader is gone for good. Didnt think he would leak it out immediately. Like what even happened there, fortunes change when exchanged to other peoples hands? It didnt happen with the others, or at least in any noticeable way I think (though Chrollo never read his own or even Nobunaga, so maybe they do in fact change, he just wouldnt know? Hisoka should have kept it to his own but then that would be odd in the context of the troupe. Regardless, I hope he wont be outed.

Rather scared for the possibility of whom will die. I dont want Shalnark to die, he was my second favorite Troupe member (Feitan for favorite) whom, Feitan seemed to be spared or not mentioned in the fortunes revealed. So thats a bit of relief. But Shalnark, gah, hope he actually returns to Meteor City or what not.

Uchip

Banned
the muted music in HxH is being used really well
its kind of annoying when shows have music playing the entire time

They pretty much butchered the dungeon arc to provide enough time for Balbadd, Magi's 26 episodes IIRC so they'll have 19 episodes to cover it which is more than enough. That's a little under 2.5 chapters an episode, which is much better than the dungeon arc which stuffed 16 chapters into 3 episodes.
This is true ..but having enough time and space doesn't mean that they will correctly adapt everything that matters in that arc ( including the flashbacks )
But the main MC's denseness was an awesome villain for the plot of selecting a girl, unbeatable.
Trully the part the anime adapted well ...

Hunter x Hunter 54
tumblr_mcy5ftVqIq1rqbr7yo1_250.gif
tumblr_mcy5ftVqIq1rqbr7yo2_250.gif

Well the whole first part of the episode was so awesome. Kurapika just smiling all huge and stuff after being all depressed at the hilarious antics of Killua/Gon. I had to rewatch that part as it was just so good seeing them all happy like throwing pies, too bad Gon never got one in. Should have made it longer. They do them so well animated. And for Gon and Killua the Hunterpedia was hilarious.
This was a very well done episode ..the contrast light/heavy was exploited as much as they could ( sunny in first part / cloudy-thunder heavy in the second ) now , we enter into a great arc , if not the greatest arc of the Hxh franchise

BluWacky

[Shin Sekai yori]

Pretty big ones, here, though. For example, the manga's version of the recent developments:
no info dump about the old world or genetic manipulations at all, no monk showing up, the kids don't lose their powers, they're attacked by the foreign bakenezumi but are not separated, they all reach Squealer's colony together...

But the manga isn't the source material, though. The anime is being generally quite faithful to the original novel, although less explicit in some ways. Having flicked through the novel much of the dialogue has been lifted directly from there.

Maedhros

Someone asked me here (in my house) what was Hyouka about...

Since they don't know the concept of slice-of-life, I just said "It's a show about nothing. There's no objective, just character interaction. Basically, a emulation of real life. The difference is that sometimes, mysteries shows up and make the characters interact to solve them".

I was thinking about that... maybe it being like real life is what drives me back from the genre SOL. Life is boring as fuck (and I'm a person who do a lot of different things, I am sociable, etc), so, when I come to watch anime, I usually try to go away from reality. That's why many SOL actually are boring for me... it's only when they introduce elements that are impossible in real life that I can appreaciate them a bit more.

About Hyouka themes, like I've said, I think it tried to portrait a lot of things, most of them not being really interesting to me... I don't even know how I made it to the end. The mysteries were interesting at the start, but the character interaction to solve them was probably the real reason.

Satoshi and Mayaka romance problem was secondary, but I enjoyed it being solved in the end (or at least implied). Oreki starting to appreciate life a bit more was nice too. Oreki making a bad judgement. Them discovering the history of the festival. The festival. These were the good parts for me.

Chitanda was my main dissapointment. I don't like her character, I appreciate he creates the drive the others need to interact, but as a person, she's so unbelievable annoying and boring. Good thing she actually wasn't the focus of the show most of the time.

I can't really recommend this show to anyone who doesn't appreciate slow shows about no specific theme. It's no entry show too.

Steroyd

Sword Art Online - 18

These past 5 or so episodes I've gone from normal watch, to tolerate watch, to hate watch so to my pleasant surprise this episode didn't make me hate this show even more even though it was filled with stupid shit that was stupid.

Sums it all up when incest route is best route.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What arc is the new Hunter x Hunter going into? Greed Island? I don't remember any pie throwing in the original.....

fertygo

Someone asked me here (in my house) what was Hyouka about...

Since they don't know the concept of slice-of-life, I just said "It's a show about nothing. There's no objective, just character interaction. Basically, a emulation of real life. The difference is that sometimes, mysteries shows up and make the characters interact to solve them".

I was thinking about that... maybe it being like real life is what drives me back from the genre SOL. Life is boring as fuck (and I'm a person who do a lot of different things, I am sociable, etc), so, when I come to watch anime, I usually try to go away from reality. That's why many SOL actually are boring for me... it's only when they introduce elements that are impossible in real life that I can appreaciate them a bit more.

About Hyouka themes, like I've said, I think it tried to portrait a lot of things, most of them not being really interesting to me... I don't even know how I made it to the end. The mysteries were interesting at the start, but the character interaction to solve them was probably the real reason.

Satoshi and Mayaka romance problem was secondary, but I enjoyed it being solved in the end (or at least implied). Oreki starting to appreciate life a bit more was nice too. Oreki making a bad judgement. Them discovering the history of the festival. The festival. These were the good parts for me.

Chitanda was my main dissapointment. I don't like her character, I appreciate he creates the drive the others need to interact, but as a person, she's so unbelievable annoying and boring. Good thing she actually wasn't the focus of the show most of the time.

I can't really recommend this show to anyone who doesn't appreciate slow shows about no specific theme. It's no entry show too.
So.. you enjoying it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom