• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Watching:
Chuunibyou
Psycho-Pass
JoJo
Zetsuen no Tempest
Tonari
K
SAO
Sakurasou

Need to catch up on:
Magi
Teekyu
OniAi
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
Robotics;Notes

Dropped:

Considering dropping:
Zetsuen no Tempest

Considering picking up:

Waiting for the BDs:
To Love-Ru Darkness

Gintama' 224

a0Myw.jpg
KX181.jpg

Major points for fucking with the opening. Always love when they have fun with what's expected in every episode and even though Gintama does this often, still fun to see.

Also, treat your blu-rays with care.

Psycho-Pass 5

This was definitely the strongest episode since the first, as it effectively served to render a temporary reprieve from the increasingly dull monotony that had gradually filtered into the narrative. Following the mediocre pacing of the last few episodes, this one was actually rather well-paced. As such, the repetitive nature of events has diminished, allowing for an episode that's both exciting and riddled with a plethora of seemingly far-reaching developments. The atmosphere in the latter half of the episode evoked a certain intensity that was quite impressive in it's effectiveness.

This episode continued it's focus on a very engaging case, as the story benefited considerably by the extended, familiar nature of the crime. I greatly enjoyed the meticulous deconstruction of
Spooky Boogie's death
. Though expected, one of the most interesting developments, since it pertains to the larger narrative, is that
others, such as Mido, are able to carefully avoid detection from the Sibyl system
, thus illustrating yet another flaw within the system.

The ending was definitely the best moment in the episode, as it's
revealed that Kogami was once an inspector
. Though the initial development wasn't particularly unexpected, it was quite surprising to learn that
he was, in fact, Ginoza's former partner, since I assumed that to be Masaoka
. This excellent cliffhanger of sorts also, once again, distinctly illuminates the likely possibility that
Kogami's rise in criminality and subsequent demotion
were due, in large part, to a
specific confrontation and, perhaps, a heightened involvement, with Shogo

The distorted visuals that were used throughout the latter half of the episode were extremely effective, as they evoked a certain chaotic atmosphere and claustrophobic paranoia that complemented the tension of the moment supremely well.

All in all, Psycho-Pass, following several slightly underwhelming episodes, has improved immensely with this one. There still appears to be a disappointing lack of ambition, but the revelation at the end of this episode gives me hope that the story will return to fully delivering on it's exceptionally promising potential. One of my largest criticisms, aside from the unnecessary restraint and inconsistent execution, is that the narrative has been needlessly fragmented in a manner that doesn’t fully explore the advantages of an episodic nature. As such, I'm hoping for a gradual broadening of the character interactions, since, up to this point, they've been noticeably lacking, save for Akane and Kogami's occasional conversation.

Utena 27

wut

Was the egg supposed to be a metaphor for something specific, or just a general concept(insecurity)? One second it was her period, then it was breasts, then it was masturbation, then it was I don't even.

I was planning on insulting Nanami, but she redeemed herself by dunking the hell out of Tsuwabuki when he said he'd do anything for her.
Also, Anthy already did that for me when Utena wondered if comparing Nanami to a chicken was unfair and Anthy was like, "naw."

I'm not sure if Akio being missing is meant to imply that
he was the one fucking with Nanami
or if it's just supposed to be a bridge into the next episode. Or maybe both.
haha, I tried. It was pretty good for a while, but Cui and the dull repetition in the latest episodes have killed my enjoyment in the show. I'll likely marathon it once it's over.
I guess that's acceptable. :p

Steroyd

This reminds me though... is no one bothering to watch the new season of Seitokai no Ichizon? Haven't seen any posts about it.

I'm watching it, was intending to make a shout out for it in this thread, but never bothered.

At the moment something feels a little... off about it, main guy's talk of his harem feels more empty than ever, meta talk is scarce bar the first episode's talk about sequels and parody's are at a bare minimum if any at all.

Kuroko's Basketball 2:
The adaptation continues on a strong footing into the second episode. A lot of the comedy is translated really well here, and we also get some very nice character interactions. That blend of stuff is what I come to Kuroko for most of all.

Kuroko himself is also a great protagonist. I'm impressed with how this adaptation has started; it's handled the source material very well.

CorvoSol

So I've been watching some Mecha Anime, and I thought I'd share some quick thoughts on what I'm seeing right now: 1) I like Zoids New Century Zero because even if the CGI is a bit harsh, it's better than most CGI robots I've seen. Even so, Bit Cloud's voice must truly be the most annoying performance I've ever heard. 2.) Shinji is showing some improvement as a human being, which, if I remember correctly, means something terrible is about to happen to change all of that. Still, I was surprised that I had forgotten all about Jet One or whatever. 3) I've barely met her, but Gundam SEED's Flay Allster is the most infuriatingly annoying character I have ever seen in an Anime. How old is this girl supposed to be? UGH UGH UGH. This is what I get for playing ahead in SRW J. Also, LOL at Lacus' voice in the English Dub songs. Yeah right that girl sounds like THAT when she sings. LAWL.

Is there a separate Manga GAF or can I just say here that FMP! Sigma is SO GOOD. Such a sucker for it.

Utena 28

Hm. Ruka
specifically attributes Utena's success to her Bride(Anthy), but Utena has won multiple times without Anthy, and those involved teams with Anthy losing. I'm assuming that the take-away from this is supposed to be that it's their combined yuri powers, but I feel like the show is usually more deliberate with its words.

Also,
it seems a bit early to be throwing the new formula out the window. Why was Touga even talking to Shiori about her soul not giving up?

And what was the deal with Ruka saying to Shiori, "You have a talent for ad-libs"? Is it a poorly translated euphemism for something dirty?
Damn moeshit fanservice in my classy animu.
Nanami is olev.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So I've been watching some Mecha Anime, and I thought I'd share some quick thoughts on what I'm seeing right now: 1) I like Zoids New Century Zero because even if the CGI is a bit harsh, it's better than most CGI robots I've seen. Even so, Bit Cloud's voice must truly be the most annoying performance I've ever heard. 2.) Shinji is showing some improvement as a human being, which, if I remember correctly, means something terrible is about to happen to change all of that. Still, I was surprised that I had forgotten all about Jet One or whatever. 3) I've barely met her, but Gundam SEED's Flay Allster is the most infuriatingly annoying character I have ever seen in an Anime. How old is this girl supposed to be? UGH UGH UGH. This is what I get for playing ahead in SRW J. Also, LOL at Lacus' voice in the English Dub songs. Yeah right that girl sounds like THAT when she sings. LAWL.

Is there a separate Manga GAF or can I just say here that FMP! Sigma is SO GOOD. Such a sucker for it.

Rie Tanaka for life bro.

duckroll

Warning: Completely unsubstantiated rumors!

There's a rumored "leak" on 2ch about 3 of the 8 upcoming Shounen Sunday anime projects:

Silver Spoon
Director: Kenji Nagasaki
Series Composition: Hiroshi Ohnogi
Character Design: Yoshiyuki Ito
Music: Naoki Sato
Animation Production: BONES

Airing in Spring 2013

Kyoukai no Rinne
Director: Masami Shimoda
Series Composition: Mayori Sekijima
Character Design: Yusuke Kamata
Animation Production: Sunrise

BUYUDEN
Director: Shigehito Takayanagi
Series Composition: Fumihiko Takayama
Character Design: Shinya Hasegawa
Production: JC Staff

Cwarrior

Watching and enjoying

Jojo

From previous season
HxH R
One piece
(many seasons ago)

Hate watch
Magi-it pains me to watch this but I just can't look away from watching magi get mutilated.

Dropped
psycho pass - wasted 2eps of my time before bailing out, nothing to show for that 45 mins I wasted on this.
New world -not interesting
Tales of blast of tempest -bad source material now x8 worse with the power of bones
Robotic;notes - hard to believe this bland thing has any relation with Steins; gate
Code breaker- ep1 was not bad at all, enjoyed the dog scenes just not enough for me to invest time in on( bit to perfect dtl life for me).

CorvoSol

Rie Tanaka for life bro.

I know Rie Tanaka does a lot of voice acting (A LOT apparently) and I thought it was funny her trying not to sing in Azumanga Daio, but it's just that the English VA and English singing VA do NOT match at all for Lacus. Like, the VA is just typical anime teen, and the SVA sounds so much older.

It doesn't match.

Grzi

There's a rumored "leak" on 2ch about 3 of the 8 upcoming Shounen Sunday anime projects:

Silver Spoon

Airing in Spring 2013

HOLY SHIT

I'll die if this isn't true :(

wonzo

Banned
Warning: Completely unsubstantiated rumors!There's a rumored "leak" on 2ch about 3 of the 8 upcoming Shounen Sunday anime projects:

Silver Spoon

Airing in Spring 2013

Now they just need to get the Kaiji narrator and then they'll be set for the greatest thing ever.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 6

Do I even need to say anything? This is still amazing. It's like what the stereotype of anime was back during the 90s, but in the best possible way.

On top of all the action and overdramatic statements, we also got bros being bros (even the enemies), and an absolutely amazing transition to the ED.

This nonstop roller-coaster isn't going to let up until the end and I couldn't be happier.

sonicmj1

Quick catchup on stuff I've been watching. Why have I gotten so lazy?

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Current through 6. The last episode was fun, and I like the new addition to the cast. They've got a nice dysfunctional gang going.

Shin Sekai Yori

The last episode I saw was 6. It's still interesting, but I see what people are saying about the direction. There was one "transition" in particular that reminded me of the near-incoherent editing in the early minutes of Garzey's Wing. It's obviously not that bad, but it's a blemish on what has been a pretty well-written show.

Space Bros

I'm catching up on it, and the last episode I saw was 27. It seems like the pacing is slowing down in the lead-up to Hibito's shuttle launch, but as usual, it's a good time. The Azuma plotline has been incredibly predictable from the moment it started, though.

The Engrish is stranger than ever when they're making fun of Lowry's terrible Japanese. I think A1 has a real problem somewhere in their staff that they need to address, because these failures keep happening all over their studio.

jbuM7D3pgH49tB_xs.jpg

I mean, this is in the new OP, for goodness sake. Think of the children!

Toradora

The last episode I watched was 8. The melodrama's not really doing it for me. Taiga's completely unlikable when she's being a violent ass to cover for her insecurity. I'll finish it because I promised a friend I would, but I don't think this show is really for me. Kushieda is the only thing about it that I really like.

Psycho-Pass

Episode 5 was a big step up. I like the actual detective work going on in this episode, the pace of events, and the revelation bomb dropped at the end. Even with all the philosophizing, it was more interesting. More episodes like this one, please.

I'll get to the newest Jojo later. Looking forward to it.

Utena 29
jbhZNJardl9iWo.jpg

Fuck everything.

Subtlety Watch:
Juri's chair facing Shiori's chair facing Ruka's chair facing Juri's chair. On a floor wmade of tiles with triangles within triangles. NOW DO YOU SEE???

Shiori's chair shifting to face Juri's chair at the end was relatively covert, though. I had to do a double-take. Not that I particularly care about that insufferable wench.
oh sorry, I thought this is animeGAF and not listwarsGAF...
Look, we've all got fetishes here. Dresden's just happens to be lists. Who are you to deny him satisfaction?

Defuser

Joooooooooooojo! ep 6
The whole battle is amazing and the music goes along with it is amazing too. Roundabout is such a perfect use to transition to the ED everytime.

Silver Spoon

Airing in Spring 2013

Kyoukai no Rinne
Director: Masami Shimoda
Series Composition: Mayori Sekijima
Character Design: Yusuke Kamata
Animation Production: Sunrise

BUYUDEN
Director: Shigehito Takayanagi
Series Composition: Fumihiko Takayama
Character Design: Shinya Hasegawa
Production: JC Staff

Woah, Silver spoon is expected but I didn't expect Buyuden to get one too.

Silver Spoon by Bones? You must have creamed your pants duckroll.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm watching it, was intending to make a shout out for it in this thread, but never bothered.

At the moment something feels a little... off about it, main guy's talk of his harem feels more empty than ever, meta talk is scarce bar the first episode's talk about sequels and parody's are at a bare minimum if any at all.
So what is the show even about at this point? lol

Utena 30

Rendered helpless by sexy, dominant male Utena is worst Utena, even if Akio is carrying around weapons-grade swag. In a better world, Anthy would finally give that rapey motherfucker what-for, but I half-expect her to never unwind herself from around Akio's finger(TL Note: finger means penis.

DAT MRS. CHAIRMAN. ALL OF MY GRATUITOUS PHALLIC IMAGERY.
I don't see why you would hold off on watching a good show.

edit: Well, the show is pretty evenly divided into two parts. So you could enjoy part 1 now and then watch the rest in a month.
I dunno, having to wait a month after the first part sounds torturous at best and detaching at worst.

Thoraxes

Utena 30

Rendered helpless by sexy, dominant male Utena is worst Utena, even if Akio is carrying around weapons-grade swag. In a better world, Anthy would finally give that rapey motherfucker what-for, but I half-expect her to never unwind herself from around Akio's finger(TL Note: finger means penis.

How far are you going in today/tonight's watchfest?

I need to know if I should stay awake or not.

cajunator

Banned
Utena 30

I dunno, having to wait a month after the first part sounds torturous at best and detaching at worst.

Yeah.
I served my time getting anime volume by volume and having to wait up to 2 months to continue a show.
It kind of sucks for watching.

How far are you going in today/tonight's watchfest?

I need to know if I should stay awake or not.
I can't guarantee I'll make it to the end, since it's pretty late and I can feel fatigue creeping in, but I'm riding this motherfucker until the wheels fall off.

I'm not sure this is worth losing sleep over, however. My posts aren't going away!

edit: unrelated, but I'm still watching the OP before every episode. It's that damn good.

Thoraxes

I can't guarantee I'll make it to the end, since it's pretty late and I can feel fatigue creeping in, but I'm riding this motherfucker until the wheels fall off.

I'm not sure this is worth losing sleep over, however. My posts aren't going away!

edit: unrelated, but I'm still watching the OP before every episode. It's that damn good.

When I wake up... This is gonna be good. You are in a very great spot right now.

Utena 31

Utena and Touga aren't related.
* WHAAAAAAAT

Anthy and Akio are fucking.
WHAAA- okay we've actually known that for a really long time, but still...

...Anthy suddenly naked and hot as the sun.
WHAAAAT

Considering how every Nanami episode ends with her wild ideas being a crock of shit, and in the previous episode someone makes a random comment about lies establishing a pattern of mistrust, I have to wonder if this is just the same. I'm not sure what the point of that would be, though.

Also,
what's with the right(left?) ankle fetishism? Even before Akio started it, Kozue had her ankle bandaged in the exact same place after she fell from the school building.

EDIT: technically I could check this myself, but I have a terrible ear for these things:
are the girls talking through the cell phone all voiced by Nanami's VA?

Kazzy

My list is fairly humble, so I'm going to include every sow currently on my radar:

Watching

Medaka Box Abnormal
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
K-ON!!

Plan to watch

JoJo
Nichijou
Bunny Drop

Dropped

Sword Art Online (I dropped it after the last arc, eh)
Magi (originally planned to catch up after the first episode, but then realized I didn't care)

Robotics;Note 5

NOW we're getting somewhere. This is exactly what I want and have come to expect from the science series. References to real world stuff like The Buzzer, conspiracy theories being true, a sense of foreboding and things not being as they seem, etc.

I hope they drop the toy robot stuff and go full on crazy like Steins;Gate.
Well the prologue is mostly done since all the characters are now "in the play" ..but
[huge grin on my face] what makes you think they can't go crazy with the robot stuff while still retaining some amount of crazyness ?

Saint Seiya Omega 31

I see they're going to follow in the footsteps of the OG Gold Saint arc by having the Bronze Saints spend 99% of the arc getting their asses kicked (and probably winning for incredibly bullshit reasons).

Ah well, at least Paradox is cool. Only took 26 years to get a female gold saint.
Finally ..i'm still disapointed the fight looked so cheap at times ..
DAt transformation at the end when she went into HATE mode
was good stuff anyway.
Good stuff..it's time for LUNA..
medaka s2 5

What do these words said even mean? words are words of words of stuff.

Fun fight though.

with vulnerable medaka being super cute.

You like cute medaka ? Thus i kill you
you enjoy lots of words ? thus i kill you

Dresden

girls und panzer - 01

Fun stuff. Not afraid to tease with the absurdity of the setup, while maintaining enough levity to make the exceedingly violent nature of tank-combat moe enough to be a sport for young girls.

I don't dig the character designs, and the CG is pretty bad but the aforementioned tank combat (at least the bit we see in episode one) was dynamic enough to be enjoyable, even as the scrolling ground texture burned my eyes. Music is nice; it's appropriately peppy and military.

cajunator

Banned
My list is fairly humble, so I'm going to include every sow currently on my radar:

Watching

Medaka Box Abnormal
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
K-ON!!

Plan to watch

JoJo
Nichijou
Bunny Drop

Dropped

Sword Art Online (I dropped it after the last arc, eh)
Magi (originally planned to catch up after the first episode, but then realized I didn't care)

Bunny Drop is super cute pure joy soul food.

Metrotab

Banned
Apparently we're making these lists:

Watching
- Chuunibyou
- Girls und Panzer
- Kimikiss
- Horizon
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Planning to watch soon
- Amagami SS+
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (season 2)
- School Rumble

Utena 32

ibe05ML6YrDRyF.gif

I don't care if everyone probably figured that
Nanami and Touga were really related.
It's 7 in the morning and I'm barely cognizant as is. I'm taking this victory to my grave.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Watching

Chuu2Byou Demo Koi Ga Shitai!
Space Brothers
Detective Conan (<-- though this one's pretty perpetual. Been watching for... 14-15 years now, goddamn!)

Plan to watch

Polar Bear Cafe
Tonari no Kaibutsu
Girls Und Panzer

Utena 33

I'm so conflicted right now.
On the one hand I want to rage because fuck Akio(JUST LIKE UTENA DID HURR), but on the other hand that was really hot and I still don't care much about Utena anyway. Anthy certainly didn't seem to be taking it very well, though.

The red ferris wheel spinning in the background throughout the episode reminded me of the spinning roses that appear now and then, though I'm still not really sure what they're supposed to represent. Recently they seem to be used when people are being deceptive or manipulative, which would make sense in context, but they've been used in a lot of other situations, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom