• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Accel World SP 1-2

Outstanding.

I must apologize for insinuating these shorts for being like OreImo's terrible commentaries or Sword Art Offline.

This is the something I never asked for, but keeps on giving.

What on earth am I seeing here? o_o;;

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
A young man demanding the "girlfriend perks" that his friend gets (such as being sat upon).
A young woman begging for panties while doing a jig.

You act like you've never seen this happen in your neighborhood!

Not lately, no. CT is pretty boring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never been sure what to make of this one:

MIxLo.jpg

That's Ichika's "Welcome home" card, but there's Kaito's head in the bottom left, and all three of this card's voices are her frantically trying to "explain." Am I being NTRed here??
Hahaha, so damn lazy. I guess you're supposed to ignore the male character. lol
(Or be NTRed :p)

Yesterday work was running a bit late, so I figured I'd do the rounds and check in on all the school clubs until it was time to head home. After poking my head into the art club, I invited myself in and found that aside from the two gentlemen sitting in the back, the class was entirely composed of girls.

What were these girls drawing? Doujin, sketches of their favorite anime, etc. Terrified of the stray foreign teacher discovering their fujoshi tendencies, I made myself at home and started chatting them up about recent shows and shit. Discovered some hilarious stuff about some of my 7th graders and her tastes in anime; she's a huge fucking Yu Yu Hakusho fan and nearly did a lap around the room when I told her I used to be a big fan back in the day.

The bigger news being that Magi is the big thing amongst 7th and 8th grade girls right now. As they put it, it's currently experiencing something of a "boom." Hahaha.

Unsurprisingly, they all love K-On!, dug Hyouka, and are currently enjoying Chuu2 like crazy. SAO is also getting the consistent amount of love it seems to always get from the middle school girl audience.

I always find it fascinating to see what these age groups think of recent shows/what they're watching. For example, their love of K-On! stems from the very basic "they're just like us! It reminds me of when I hang out with my friends" sense of closeness/nostalgia/whatever you want to call it. Of course, they're much less articulate about it and tend to say something more along the lines of "The girls are cute and they're like us and they're cute and TEEHEEHEEHEE *insert ridiculous amounts of preteen/teenage girl giggling here*"

Though the best moment came today when one of the girls was like "Elliot sensei, do you... nevermind." After pressing her to ask me, she finally spoke up and asked if I was familiar with boys love. "Oh yeah, one of my good friends who works at a manga publisher used to drag me around with her to all the shops!"

I think one of them almost fainted. Hahaha.
You should have said you made out with boys all the time back in your youth. :p

I am curious though, how do these kids even watch the KyoAni shows? Do they rerun at a normal time, or are they just nerds who stay up until 3 AM or whenever they aire?

Smile Precure 36

Awwww hell nah! I know this isn't some filthy BOY invading my pure, virginal yuri wonderland, and a baka gaijin at that!

Disgusting. Akane, why are you hurting Nao like this??!

Akane x Jexhius = OTP, etc.

Hunter x Hunter 55
tumblr_mdbvi2SWs61qzj1clo1_500.gif

Darn, Im awful at predicting stuff, again the stuff with Hisoka went cmpltely not what I expected.
Though the fortunes switch from person to person not that he could, of his own volition, change it up with his own skill, versatile

Anyway I still have high hopes that at the end of the day my favorite characters dont meet awful fate, which now Im just confused on.
Feitan and Shalnark, if I remember they can avoid the tragic fate if they stay at the hideout and dont return home? (well Shalnark) since we dont know Feitan's fate, however they did say he is interested in Greed Island...so perhaps he wont die this arc and will stick around for that.

Best moment was the friendship and trust stuff with the four. Leorio feels worthless still but is vital to have around, I guess. Killua must be applauded for his inner thoughts of wanting to hopefully keep Gon protected.

Ah and it seemed like a new song was introduced, OST3 when?

Oh and
tumblr_mdbdivdamy1qenmvqo2_500.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Smile Precure - 28

Akane supporting Nao and Yayoi getting a girl boner for young Majorina. Good episode all around. Oh and my list is complete:

AkanexNao
MiyukixReika
Young MajorinaxYayoi

Medaka Box Abnormal 5
tumblr_md959xwcLl1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Zenkichi was amazing, best episode so far for Medaka Box this season. I hope we get to see even more. I could really watch it if he were the main. Kei was also good too, I loved his opening lines there, "A movie Ive been looking forward to is coming out soon, thus, Ill kill you", etc.

The conclusion to the fight was the best part.
The offer of friendship, he better come back in future arcs, Id start the manga just to see how these friends interact

However I do hope he is not really an special or abnormal or whatever and is a normal human. The guy made it seem like zenkichi is more than just normal, and well I want to see a normal with powers that can really defy everyone else.

jman2050

Yesterday work was running a bit late, so I figured I'd do the rounds and check in on all the school clubs until it was time to head home. After poking my head into the art club, I invited myself in and found that aside from the two gentlemen sitting in the back, the class was entirely composed of girls.

What were these girls drawing? Doujin, sketches of their favorite anime, etc. Terrified of the stray foreign teacher discovering their fujoshi tendencies, I made myself at home and started chatting them up about recent shows and shit. Discovered some hilarious stuff about some of my 7th graders and her tastes in anime; she's a huge fucking Yu Yu Hakusho fan and nearly did a lap around the room when I told her I used to be a big fan back in the day.

The bigger news being that Magi is the big thing amongst 7th and 8th grade girls right now. As they put it, it's currently experiencing something of a "boom." Hahaha.

Unsurprisingly, they all love K-On!, dug Hyouka, and are currently enjoying Chuu2 like crazy. SAO is also getting the consistent amount of love it seems to always get from the middle school girl audience.

I always find it fascinating to see what these age groups think of recent shows/what they're watching. For example, their love of K-On! stems from the very basic "they're just like us! It reminds me of when I hang out with my friends" sense of closeness/nostalgia/whatever you want to call it. Of course, they're much less articulate about it and tend to say something more along the lines of "The girls are cute and they're like us and they're cute and TEEHEEHEEHEE *insert ridiculous amounts of preteen/teenage girl giggling here*"

Though the best moment came today when one of the girls was like "Elliot sensei, do you... nevermind." After pressing her to ask me, she finally spoke up and asked if I was familiar with boys love. "Oh yeah, one of my good friends who works at a manga publisher used to drag me around with her to all the shops!"

So what you're saying is that people who like K-On are middle school girls?

Pooya

crazy girl - 6
that manly tears, that bromance. This was pretty good and this series is getting better and better, quite funny.

Imouto Art Online - 18

That Imouto service, holy shit this show has become unbearable with Yui and Imouto. urgh
Why death is something they threaten each other with in this game ? They said death penalty but what kind of penalty is that? so serious.

Tonari - 7

This is still best show, now with
two? triangles.

Imouto Art Online - 18

That Imouto service, holy shit this show has become unbearable with Yui and Imouto. urgh
Why death is something they threaten each other with in this game ? They said death penalty but what kind of penalty is that? so serious.

Yeah I was confused on what the penalty is for dying, though it seemed like the penalty is they have to be reborn from their home village?

Jex

This seems to be turning into a season for shows I thought I'd never watch. First Codbreaker, now it'll be Medaka.

Speaking of which, I've certainly found it a surprising season all round. I certainly didn't think I'd be enjoying how stupid Code:Breaker was, or legitimately enjoying how much fun Girls und Panzer is.

I guess the flip-side of this trend is that certain other shows have been pretty disappointing, namely Pyscho Pass. I wouldn't call Pyscho Pass bad but it has been hugely underwhelming.

Dresden

Speaking of which, I've certainly found it a surprising season all round. I certainly didn't think I'd be enjoying how stupid Code:Breaker was, or legitimately enjoying how much fun Girls und Panzer is.

I guess the flip-side of this trend is that certain other shows have been pretty disappointing, namely Pyscho Pass. I wouldn't call Pyscho Pass bad but it has been hugely underwhelming.

Girls und Panzer is probably the biggest surprise for me. I thought it'd be pretty good pre-season, but I didn't expect it to this entertaining. Power of Mizushima?

On the other hand I've had to drop Robonotes and that's kind of disappointing. I mean, robots, time travel, etc. Wanted something kooky and fun but it was just bad. I couldn't finish Psycho-Pass ep4 either, but I have hopes that it'll improve. Either way, PIGtamina is turning out to be a total fail and the worst part is, they'll occupy next season's block too.

e: I guess my biggest disappointment has to be how they've handled Magi so far.

Jex

Girls und Panzer is probably the biggest surprise for me. I thought it'd be pretty good pre-season, but I didn't expect it to this entertaining. Power of Mizushima?

On the other hand I've had to drop Robonotes and that's kind of disappointing. I mean, robots, time travel, etc. Wanted something kooky and fun but it was just bad. I couldn't finish Psycho-Pass ep4 either, but I have hopes that it'll improve. Either way, PIGtamina is turning out to be a total fail and the worst part is, they'll occupy next season's block too.

e: I guess my biggest disappointment has to be how they've handled Magi so far.

I never actually bothered watching Robotic Whatever because of all the anti-hype. In addition, I'd been concerned about Magi ever since Yoshino appeared on the scene.

On the other hand, Anno has delivered Blast of Tempest to the masses and people are liking that so far, despite all the warnings I'd heard about the manga.

Taruranto

Medaka Box Abnormal 5
tumblr_md959xwcLl1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Zenkichi was amazing, best episode so far for Medaka Box this season. I hope we get to see even more. I could really watch it if he were the main. Kei was also good too, I loved his opening lines there, "A movie Ive been looking forward to is coming out soon, thus, Ill kill you", etc.

The conclusion to the fight was the best part.
The offer of friendship, he better come back in future arcs, Id start the manga just to see how these friends interact

However I do hope he is not really an special or abnormal or whatever and is a normal human. The guy made it seem like zenkichi is more than just normal, and well I want to see a normal with powers that can really defy everyone else.

I think i get what the "Abnormal" part in the title refers to, now.

Pooya

Is girl und panzer really good? looks very ugly to be honest, so much that I can't bring myself to watch even one episode. :\

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Say "I Love You" 01
For as uninteresting and cliched as this wish fulfillment thing is I actually kind of didn't mind watching it pretty much solely because of the music. It's just very easy piano and light strings stuff that sets a very relaxed atmosphere for the show.

cnet128

Banned
Well, I've been lurking this thread for a while (I've actually read the whole thing, right from the beginning of Fall OT1...) and I keep meaning to actually post something, but every time I do, I want to write impressions about too many things, end up planning out a megapost in my head, and by the time I'm actually ready to start writing the post I can't be bothered any more.

So this time, I'm going to try something nice and concise! A ranking of all the shows I'm currently watching this season, with a one-line "review" for each!

#1 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Who needs production values when you have FABULOUS?!
#2 Hunter x Hunter - Consistently engaging and a flawlessly paced adaptation.
#3 Chuunibyou - HNNNNNGH levels are off the charts.
#4 Sword Art Online - Fuck the haters!
#5 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Every episode leaves me with a stupid grin plastered to my face (The ED helps).
#6 Shirokuma Cafe - My relaxation drug of choice for 2.5 seasons and counting!
#7 Psycho-Pass - Still waiting for the story to pick up pace, but it impresses nonetheless.
#8 Shinsekai Yori - Always keeps me intrigued.
#9 Magi - Very enjoyable to watch when it isn't busy raping the source material.
=10 Btooom! - Somehow keeps me invested in its narrative against all odds.
=10 Zetsuen no Tempest - Magic: badass. Sawashiro: love. Narrative: All over the goddamn place.
#12 Sakurasou - Never excites me, but pleasant enough viewing.
#13 K - Marginally better than Guilty Crown.
#14 OniAi - Just sticking around for the imouto, but seriously...does this anime have no shame?

A little context: I'm a reasonably good Japanese speaker, watching everything raw (still have to pause and rewind occasionally to figure out what the hell is being said, but for the most part I'm good), and I've read the original manga for JoJo and Hunter x Hunter a while back. For Magi, I caught up on the whole manga after watching the first couple of anime episodes, and for Sword Art Online, I'm still working my way through the light novels (currently nearing the end of Volume 7). Everything else, I'm going in completely fresh (and for Hunter and JoJo, my memories of the earlier parts are pretty hazy, so I'm finding them quite enjoyable to re-experience). For the most part, I'm just about managing to stay up-to-date on everything on my list (though it ain't easy...)

Incidentally, the one anime I dropped this season was Girls und Panzer. Checked it out mainly because Yukari's character design caught my eye, quite enjoyed the girls' interactions in the first episode, but dropped after the second episode because the whole tank element just wasn't appealing to me in the slightest. (Would probably have soldiered on a little further if not for the fact that I don't really have the time to be watching as many shows as I am >_>)

Oh, and one other thing - I'd like to offer my support for the opinion voiced somewhere earlier in the thread (probably way back >_>) that Kawahara Reki himself may just be moe XD I always enjoy reading the afterwords in light novels, they're a nice way to tie up the experience, but some authors are certainly more entertaining than others. In both Accel World and SAO, Kawahara has been the most enjoyable to read that I've come across. He just seems so...genuine! (And his profuse apologies for failing to finish arcs in Accel World never got old xp)

#2 Hunter x Hunter - Consistently engaging and a flawlessly paced adaptation.
=10 Zetsuen no Tempest - Magic: badass. Sawashiro: love. Narrative: All over the goddamn place.
#13 K - Marginally better than Guilty Crown.

Why you dont post more often?

Anyway, have to disagree with the rankings there. If K is better than Guilty Crown, and Guilty Crown is up there for best anime to premiere in 2011 and best anime to to start this year, then K ought to be number 1, though itd be pretty difficult to try to put K, Guilty Crown, Accel World, and Zetsuen no Tempest, as which is more good than the other.

Ah and Hunter x Hunter is so good, this arc is great and Im so hyped for Greed Island, the little hints and stuff, I hope its long and even more good than everything prior, it can be the best shonen anime if it has an arc that is as strong and better than the Arrancar Saga of Bleach.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 6

This was definitely the weakest episode so far, as it was surprisingly slow and largely uninteresting, since a dramatic monotony had filtered into the story throughout this arc, much to the detriment of the narrative flow. The last two episodes have been noticeably worse than those that came before, due largely to the heightened focus on an insufferable character that I really couldn't care less about. As such, the drama in the last two episodes hasn't particularly worked, nor was it effective with it's intended characterization, since it didn't come close to establishing Aoyama as a sympathetic or likable character, which effectively disregards the necessity for her increased prevalence and the significant focus on her relatively contrived development.

Aoyama's constant, high-pitched berating of Mashiro and Sorata's unique relationship has been exceptionally annoying and increasingly repetitive throughout the last several episodes, so hopefully that's considerably diminished in the future. One of the only meaningful revelations I could extract from Aoyama's arc is that she's exponentially better and more likable as a strictly secondary, uninvolved character, which, unfortunately, now that she's miraculously
entered Sakurasou
, isn't the direction her unsatisfying development is taking her. Essentially, Aoyama's a pointless, idiotic character that brings absolutely nothing new to the narrative, aside from relationship interference and an inevitably glorious friendzoning.

It's clear that Mashiro greatly prefers Sorata over Aoyama, so, thankfully,
Sorata has returned to caring for her
, as he's much more suited for such an important responsibility, and, of course, this ultimately makes for a far more interesting and enjoyable story, since that temporary diversion with Aoyama had overstayed it's welcome as soon as it began. The only one of Nanami's scenes that was good was her highly amusing conversation with
the stuffed animal
. Aside from that though, there wasn't anything of worth dedicated to her character, although her
emotional collapse in the rain
would have likely been sympathetic if it didn't appear as such a forced, predictable, and unconvincing moment.

Mashiro is gradually developing into one of the best characters, as she's far more perceptive than initially expected, displayed most notably by how much she cared for
Aoyama and her struggles
. Sorata's uncertainty regarding
his future
is quite convincingly portrayed, and it will be interesting to see how this theme will develop as the story progresses. The character interactions continue to be fantastic, especially those between Mashiro and Sorata. As such, their subtly romantic moment following the ED was great.

Misaki and Jin's complicated relationship has consistently been the most compelling element of the show, since their nuanced development is suffused with conflicting complexities. As such, Jin, for whatever reason, goes so far with his emotionally constructed
distance from Misaki
as to even
attend a separate university
than her. I'm quite anticipating the moment all these foreshadowed complications within their relationship collide. My favorite scene was Misaki's brief, but illuminating, conversation with Sorata, since it comprehensively illustrated her
romantic insecurities and doubts

The quality of the production values consistently exceeds my expectations. The animation, in particular, is very good, since it's skilfully able to capture a plethora of exaggerated movements and chaotic motion. The direction, though occasionally stale and unspectacular, was great throughout this episode. Musically, this episode was pretty good, especially during the quite moments, as it accompanies and often illuminates the tone of those particular scenes quite well. Also, the art, for it's own part, adds considerably to the atmosphere of the show, particularly with it's rather colorful, but faded aesthetic.

All in all, Sakurasou, aside from this episode and portions of the last, has been surprisingly good, particularly impressing with it's excellent humor and a thoroughly enjoyable narrative, while also excelling with it's engaging cast of characters and the small moments of romantic development between Mashiro and Sorata. It's certainly formulaic at times, but the strength of the narrative execution typically overshadows that slight flaw. The show, for the most part, has been considerably better when it attempts to balance the comedic elements with an occasional sort of subdued drama, rather than leaning too heavily on one particular aspect. Judging by the preview,
Sorata's sister
will be introduced, which should be rather interesting.

Also, Chihiro (teacher) > Mashiro > Misaki > Sorata's soon-to-appear
sister
>>> Aoyama

So do any of your students actually have 8th grade syndrome?

Pooya

Psycho Pass - 5

I take it these cops don't know anything about arresting and interrogation?

you heard he was talking to someone, so just burst into the room and blow up the already surrendered guy who had his one arm already blown off, he must have done these tracking and killings all by himself right? maybe he was more valuable alive maybe but then the story would have ended here....

good revelation about Kogami, it was obvious somewhat seeing how Gino always listened to him during the episodes even though overall he doesn't like Enforcers much, I wonder what others were doing before they become Enforcers.

That girl is still completely redundant to the plot so much that I don't even know what her name is, she's just there.

scenario so far has been underwhelming but still can recover. not bad.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Say "I Love You" 01
For as uninteresting and cliched as this wish fulfillment thing is I actually kind of didn't mind watching it pretty much solely because of the music. It's just very easy piano and light strings stuff that sets a very relaxed atmosphere for the show.

First few episodes are alright, but then it just becomes lame and silly with a new person becoming the obstacle of love for each week. Haven't seen the last episode or two that came out, just waiting for it to finish so I can deal with this crap in one sitting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
First few episodes are alright, but then it just becomes lame and silly with a new person becoming the obstacle of love for each week. Haven't seen the last episode or two that came out, just waiting for it to finish so I can deal with this crap in one sitting.
I hate you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom