• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Why you dont post more often?
Partly because I do most of my GAF browsing during downtime at work, where browsing forums is just about acceptable but posting to them is definitely frowned upon. Also because I'm terrible at putting together my thoughts without rambling on for pages, and terrible at maintaining my concentration long enough to ramble on for pages without just giving up entirely.

Anyway, have to disagree with the rankings there. If K is better than Guilty Crown, and Guilty Crown is up there for best anime to premiere in 2011 and best anime to to start this year, then K ought to be number 1, though itd be pretty difficult to try to put K, Guilty Crown, Accel World, and Zetsuen no Tempest, as which is more good than the other.
If you weren't placing Accel World on the same level as those other three, I would salute the integrity of your insane troll logic. But I adore Accel World, so hells no.

Ah and Hunter x Hunter is so good, this arc is great and Im so hyped for Greed Island, the little hints and stuff, I hope its long and even more good than everything prior, it can be the best shonen anime if it has an arc that is as strong and better than the Arrancar Saga of Bleach.
Well, I would hardly call the Arrancar Saga a shining example of how to do a good shonen arc, but if there's one thing I remember about Greed Island, it's that it is most definitely long.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 6
[...]
Chihiro (teacher) > Mashiro > Misaki > Sorata's soon-to-appear
sister
>>> Aoyama
Haven't watched episode 6 yet, and know nothing of the
sister
of whom you speak, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like you've got that list 100% backwards. Reverse the arrows and I could see that working nicely!

cjkeats

Also because I'm terrible at putting together my thoughts without rambling on for pages, and terrible at maintaining my concentration long enough to ramble on for pages without just giving up entirely.

I have a similar problem, except I have trouble expanding my thoughts to anything other than "It was good" or "It wasn't good".

Joe Molotov

Though the best moment came today when one of the girls was like "Elliot sensei, do you... nevermind." After pressing her to ask me, she finally spoke up and asked if I was familiar with boys love. "Oh yeah, one of my good friends who works at a manga publisher used to drag me around with her to all the shops!"

I think one of them almost fainted. Hahaha.

Sounds like they're hinting that you might be starring in some doujins.

cajunator

Banned
1352831038416.gif

Character Design: Akio Watanabe

I can see the next big hit!

Have I ever told you I like the way you think? because I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK.

Partly because I do most of my GAF browsing during downtime at work, where browsing forums is just about acceptable but posting to them is definitely frowned upon. Also because I'm terrible at putting together my thoughts without rambling on for pages, and terrible at maintaining my concentration long enough to ramble on for pages without just giving up entirely.

If you weren't placing Accel World on the same level as those other three, I would salute the integrity of your insane troll logic. But I adore Accel World, so hells no.

Well, I would hardly call the Arrancar Saga a shining example of how to do a good shonen arc, but if there's one thing I remember about Greed Island, it's that it is most definitely long.

Haven't watched episode 6 yet, and know nothing of the
sister
of whom you speak, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like you've got that list 100% backwards. Reverse the arrows and I could see that working nicely!

Welcome to animuGaf!
I would also place Accel World over those other shows.
Also Im a genki girl fan so misaki would be my obvious choice, although teacher is pretty awesome.

Nafe

And talking about more lucky people... today (well... November, 10... but that just passed over in Japan) some could get their hands on a pre-sell opportunity, nearly two weeks in advance, and obtain the book Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt ANIMATION ART WORKS (http://www.gainax.co.jp/goods/psg_g/), that would be like one of the good old 'Groundworks' art-books by GAiNAX... and not only that, as they would also get a exclusive message illustration by Mr. Nishigori with it (as seen here http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/psg/news/0114.html)!

Envy doesn't even begin to describe what I feel!

Oh nice! I quite liked the designs in Panty & Stocking. Normally I'm not really a fan of the more crass or juvenile type humour (Panty & Stocking still did have it's moments) but overall I quite liked the show actually. For me personally I also liked Stocking and Kneesocks over Scanty and Panty.

I know you guys were talking about ICE earlier and coincidentally I was reading a masters thesis that has a whole chapter dedicated to it. "THE QUEER CYBORG AND QUEER APOCALYPSE: CONTESTING AND REINVENTING MYTHS AND THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT".

I can't say I've read it as I haven't seen the show, but I think it's amusing that such a thing exists: http://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/2913?show=full

I agree that it is kind of strange to see this. I just read the first part of the third chapter dealing with the show Ice and I also think they are giving the show a bit too much credit.

The show seemed to have mixed messages for me. In the paper it mentions that guns are seen as a violent and subjugating construct of man but women used them as well even before the downfall of humanity. Swords are seen as superior and more feminine apparently as they don't have to kill or promote violence but men crafted and used swords as well though...

Part of the superiority of swords is seen that they don't have to kill but neither do guns. You can shoot a person in the leg to incapacitate them for example. Simply pointing the gun at them by way of a more psychological deterrent against violence will also work. One could argue that that would maybe fall back in line with their dominating nature but wouldn't the same be true for swords or any weapon really?

Another point the paper makes is that the women in the story don't claim to have any superiority over nature or are trying to claim nature for themselves but that seems really just inherent or maybe even the very point of many post apocalyptic type stories. Humanity has lost their domination over nature and maybe can't use their old technologies so it's back to basics with how things were and simply focusing on survival. Ice does focus on women but the nature of the characters in this story could just as easily happen with an all male or mixed gender cast.

As much as Ice seems to berate the male gender, essentially blaming them for all the world problems, it also in the end seems to suggest that they will be humanities ultimate savior as well. Ending Spoilers:
Yuki uses the Ice to produce what appears to be a male child so that humanity can now procreate and reestablish itself.

The paper touches briefly on the fact that many characters look like clones. I'm not sure if this is just part of poor production or if they actually were supposed to be clones. I think it would be the former as one would then think that the women should have no problems as cloning seems to be working well and if it's not, then the show never really touches on that either.

One last point is that at the time of this paper Ice had not been released in the west but since then the company Sentai Filmworks has released the show and even produced an English Dub for it as well.

Taruranto

Yesterday work was running a bit late, so I figured I'd do the rounds and check in on all the school clubs until it was time to head home. After poking my head into the art club, I invited myself in and found that aside from the two gentlemen sitting in the back, the class was entirely composed of girls.

What were these girls drawing? Doujin, sketches of their favorite anime, etc. Terrified of the stray foreign teacher discovering their fujoshi tendencies, I made myself at home and started chatting them up about recent shows and shit. Discovered some hilarious stuff about some of my 7th graders and her tastes in anime; she's a huge fucking Yu Yu Hakusho fan and nearly did a lap around the room when I told her I used to be a big fan back in the day.

The bigger news being that Magi is the big thing amongst 7th and 8th grade girls right now. As they put it, it's currently experiencing something of a "boom." Hahaha.

Unsurprisingly, they all love K-On!, dug Hyouka, and are currently enjoying Chuu2 like crazy. SAO is also getting the consistent amount of love it seems to always get from the middle school girl audience.

I always find it fascinating to see what these age groups think of recent shows/what they're watching. For example, their love of K-On! stems from the very basic "they're just like us! It reminds me of when I hang out with my friends" sense of closeness/nostalgia/whatever you want to call it. Of course, they're much less articulate about it and tend to say something more along the lines of "The girls are cute and they're like us and they're cute and TEEHEEHEEHEE *insert ridiculous amounts of preteen/teenage girl giggling here*"

Though the best moment came today when one of the girls was like "Elliot sensei, do you... nevermind." After pressing her to ask me, she finally spoke up and asked if I was familiar with boys love. "Oh yeah, one of my good friends who works at a manga publisher used to drag me around with her to all the shops!"

I think one of them almost fainted. Hahaha.

Get these girls some real animu, ffs.

I recommend Princess Tutu and Fantastic Children.

Jex

I agree that it is kind of strange to see this. I just read the first part of the third chapter dealing with the show Ice and I also think they are giving the show a bit too much credit.

That isn't entirely unusual for an academic paper though, of course. I imagine you can get away with that kind of thing when you're writing a paper about anime because, well, who is going to come and write a counterpoint? It would be different if they'd written about, say, the portrayal of women in Aliens where there would be many scholars with differing views on the subject.

Anyway, it's pretty cool that I can now go on Google Scholar and read up on papers that discuss anime, regardless of the quality of said papers.

Nafe

I'd like to say, I really like your avatar Nafe. Very nice and clean, even if I haven't watched Hyouka yet.

Thank you. :)

I quite liked Irisu's character in the show right from the beginning. Her hair on the right side of the picture was the trickiest part but not really too bad.

Haha, probably not.

Yeah, if we're talking about papers dealing with women in anime I'd read one about Utena or Sailor Moon though. :)

That isn't entirely unusual for an academic paper though, of course. I imagine you can get away with that kind of thing when you're writing a paper about anime because, well, who is going to come and write a counterpoint? It would be different if they'd written about, say, the portrayal of women in Aliens where there would be many scholars with differing views on the subject.

Anyway, it's pretty cool that I can now go on Google Scholar and read up on papers that discuss anime, regardless of the quality of said papers.

That's quite true. I agree with your last statement as well in that there could be some interesting papers to read out there.

Jex

Is girl und panzer really good? looks very ugly to be honest, so much that I can't bring myself to watch even one episode. :\

I dislike the character designs and some of the CG work, but that in itself doesn't make the show unwatchable (this should be a real world, dammit!)

Jarmel

Banned
My Neighbor Totoro

I wasn't going to do a full writeup of this, but something just compelled me to. This movie still remains one of the most moving, poignant, amazing pieces of animation I've seen in my life. It's amazing just how much I forgot about this. A few things surprised me that I kind of want to point out.

For one, the mystical elements of the movie don't take prominence until the last 1/3 of the film. Even then, probably only 15-20 minutes of its 1 hour 30 minute runtime are devoted to the more magical things. At its core, it's a family drama. Like any good Ghibli film, the emotion that's evoked throughout is amazing. It doesn't matter if you know how things are going to turn out, Miyazaki takes you on an emotional journey. You can't help but get caught up in it. The emotion in the faces, the beauty of the scenery, the amazingness of the score, all of it plays for full effect.

Another interesting aspect I found was the portrayal of father as the primary care giver for his children. It's not something often addressed in media. Typically when fathers are thrust into this situation in movies and TV shows, it's played for laughs, particularly with daughters. Either that or the father is seen as emotionally distant. Here he could not be more loving, concerned, and caring. It's a welcome change from the norm.

How does the Blu-Ray look? Spectacular. Everything looks exactly as it should. There is no discoloration, grain or framing issues. Overall, a much better experience than the Kiki DVD I saw a week or so back. The transfer there was loaded with bad color variations, bad grain, and occasional cloudiness. It was super sad to see. This was how Totoro was meant to be seen. Not to mention how it sounds, the music in particular sounds beautiful and crisp. Just an amazing experience all around. The only way you could find a better experience would be to see it in big screen. I sincerely G-Kids will be able to take their Ghibli marathon much wider. I would kill to see all that in a theater. I'll end the blu-ray talk with this, Disney desperately needs to release a Ghibli blu-ray set. I will easily pay $250+ for all their stuff. I don't even need many special features. Heck, I'd probably pay that for a Miyazki collection alone.

So how does Totoro rank among Ghibli films? that's a tough question. In a few ways, it feels a bit less substantial than some of the later stuff Miyazaki has made. I personally enjoy Mononke and Spirited Away on an emotional level more than Totoro. I also just enjoy Kiki more as a fun film. Still, that could change depending on the day. All of these films are so close to perfection, ranking them is almost impossible. Miyazaki is truly one of the greats of our time.

I also recently saw this for the first time. I liked it but the movie felt like it was cut in half and designed for a much longer run time.

Metrotab

Banned
Kimikiss - 12

Whilst MC is on the brink of tragedy, bro-character is getting his own love triangle set up. Pretty funny how different this show is.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, but most of my art club squad seems to love Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari.

One of my girls got really excited when I mentioned enjoying Toradora!. Warm fuzzies were had.

Also, why am I still watching K-On!! ? OTL

cjkeats

Isnt Bakemonagatari REALLY close to release? Cannot wait :D
Unfortunately I have pretty much everything in that rightstuf list already but maybe something new will pop up.

Like ZetaEpyon said, one week. Still so expensive though.

One of the benefits of returning to anime and being employed this time is that I barely have anything other than Eva and OreImo. So I'll take this sale to stock up.

I grabbed Maid Sama because it's $40 cheaper than the complete collection that just came out.

IS it any good? I think I've only seen it mentioned around these parts once or twice.
It looks right up my alley. and $10 a set is right in my budget.

Anything else in there I should check out?

cajunator

Banned
The next round of cities for the Madoka Magica movies has been announced:

So if you live near Cleveland, Akron, Seattle, or Pittsburgh, you're in luck.

Lucky :(

Like ZetaEpyon said, one week. Still so expensive though.

One of the benefits of returning to anime and being employed this time is that I barely have anything other than Eva and OreImo. So I'll take this sale to stock up.

IS it any good? I think I've only seen it mentioned around these parts once or twice.
It looks right up my alley. and $10 a set is right in my budget.

Anything else in there I should check out?

For that cheap, Maid Sama is a great choice.
I just got paid for 7 days of extra work, so thats basically a second check. Gonna get me a big ass TV and watch anime like crazy on it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom