• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

I don't think I can get into the childish animes anymore. It needs to be something unique. The last one that I loved immensely was Death Note. Haven't seen anything seriously good since then.

Any recommendations for serious original animes?

Currently watching "From the New World" and it's not bad. Had a few hiccups in the middle but looks like its getting back on track.
I watched Tsuritama and Code Breaker (1 episode each) and they are quite childish.

I am thinking of starting Steins;Gate again as I dropped it after 7-8 episodes. Seeing the lack of original stuff, I might have to pick it up again =/
What does original mean in this context?

Nafe

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Act.29,30

The character Mio Kuroki has this really strange looking smile and she does it almost all the time she's on screen. It seriously just looks really strange.

It was kind of nice that for the gym class scene there was a nod to Minako as they were playing volleyball when Usagi was defending her honor essentially. Although her acting in that scene was kind of painful to watch. The english background song used was kind of a surprise as well.

I hope this shows Mio character gets more interesting or the arc involving her finishes up quickly because I'm not really liking her character too much right now.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Act.31

Motoki took her answer better than I thought he would. I liked that it went that route rather than him reacting something like after the movie. I don't really have much else I feel is really interesting to comment on this episode.

.hack/Quantum 3

Solid conclusion, with a dark, foreboding atmosphere and sense of large-scale chaos that created the feeling of a final boss confrontation. The way the scenario developed unfortunately meant there wasn't a climactic action scene - nothing like the first episode in that regard - and that was a missed opportunity, as the lair, with its gigantic beating heart at the foundations of elaborate ruins, would have provided a great setting for a fight to play out in. However, the emotional denouement provided instead felt genuine enough to leave me with a good taste in my mouth. Further expansion of the characters and narrative would have strengthened this series (and losing some of the CG - there was a particularly awkward CG monster in this episode) - but it's pleasant enough for what it is.

Syrinx

Darker Than Black Vol. 2 Ep. 3

Though this arc didn't really have that "whoa" factor that some of the other arcs had, I actually found the plot of it to be pretty interesting.

So, the husband of that "widow" wasn't really dead. he was a contractor who put himself in the body of that other contractor who could control gravity, right? Because he was so obsessed with scent, and he carried around that dirty sock smelling it.

And the thing with the widow taking pleasure knowing that her husband's ex was now a stinking, rotting corpse was pretty disturbing. Pretty tragic story about that ex when you think about it. Actually, you really don't need to think about it.

Though I'm still undecided about Kurusawa and his assistant, their last exchange was pretty great.

Assistant: I totally want to stalk him. Got any good stalking tips?
Kurusawa: Get bigger boobs.

Let's see....

Chuunibyou - I must see more of this. Haven't seen anything beyond the first ep, but the show is pulling me in for some reason.

My Little Monster - I sat down the for latest episode and Haru is creepier than ever. Apparently Shizuku is finger lickin' good to him now. Oshima is totally fucking herself over too haha.

Shin Sekai Yori - Watched this week's episode and it turned out decent. I was honestly very interested by the idea of rat people running into humans without powers for the first time and how they would react, but it seems like nothing came of that. Kidomaru is a badass rat that looks like some spirit straight out of Spirited Away. A time skip all of a sudden could be intersting. The repercussions of their actions have to lead to something huge now that they know so much about humanity's past.

Psycho Pass - I finally decided to check it out and it is okay, I guess. I think Jexhius(or a guy with a Lupin avatar) accurately described Psycho Pass. It seems like only the main female and Kogami really stand out right now and they don't have any real weight as of yet so the show feels a bit empty. Kogami might be interesting now that his past was spoken about a bit and he was once a *******. The girl needs a better hook than just being a genius and we could use some standalone episodes for the other characters. I want to find out what made that old man crack. I pegged him to be the former legit inspector of the group. Oh... and nice job killing that suspect that could have led you to the big fish, ya crazy enforcers.

Btooom! - I'm enjoying this more than SAO right now tbqh. Yeah... it has panties, but they've only appeared rarely and they aren't imouto's so I can handle that. This show is definitely more grounded in reality and it doesn't feel like the standard anime tropes/art direction is as invasive. It kinda reminds me of Black Lagoon in that sense. Also, Light Yagami is back and he is faaaaaaar less annoying than he was in death note.

Also, Komodo dragons holy crap. That old man is fucked if this anime is that realistic. Don't those beasts have some scary powerful poisonous bites?

Syrinx

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Act.29,30

The character Mio Kuroki has this really strange looking smile and she does it almost all the time she's on screen. It seriously just looks really strange.

It was kind of nice that for the gym class scene there was a nod to Minako as they were playing volleyball when Usagi was defending her honor essentially. Although her acting in that scene was kind of painful to watch. The english background song used was kind of a surprise as well.

I hope this shows Mio character gets more interesting or the arc involving her finishes up quickly because I'm not really liking her character too much right now.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Act.31

Motoki took her answer better than I thought he would. I liked that it went that route rather than him reacting something like after the movie. I don't really have much else I feel is really interesting to comment on this episode.

It's good that you're posting impressions of this now, because I've been pretty curious about this. Personally, I'm having trouble imagining a live-action Sailor Moon being anything but terrible. Is it not? You're impressions have generally been pretty positive iirc.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's good that you're posting impressions of this now, because I've been pretty curious about this. Personally, I'm having trouble imagining a live-action Sailor Moon being anything but terrible. Is it not? You're impressions have generally been pretty positive iirc.

You should definitely check it out.

AmixRei out the fucking wazoo in this show.

In other news: I should've been caught up on Smile by now, but I've been hooked on Red vs Blue for the last couple days. On season 7 at the moment, so I should be caught up by either late tonight or tomorrow.

Nafe

It's not great and I definitely prefer the anime but as a fan of Sailor Moon my personal bias probably sets it in a bit of a higher standing. I think it's competent but I also think it comes down to your personal tolerance for some things.

The CG effects are typical television special effects but some other things, such as Luna is often portrayed more as a stuffed toy taken off of one of the merchandizing lines.

The acting isn't great but to be fair for a few of the girls this was their first acting role. With that in mind you do notice them getting better as the show goes along as well.

The story also makes some changes as well such that it's not all exactly the same so it is interesting to see some of the different story twists that were come up with. Honestly that's probably one of the most interesting things about the show in just comparing and contrasting it to the other adaptations in the series.

The fights aren't really very elaborate most of the time either. Copying the anime's use of special effect type attacks it does fine but as far as maybe the more physical kicks and punches you're better off watching something like Akibaranger or Kamen Rider, or at least the newest one as that's all I've seen of those types of shows personally.

Do you guys consider yourselves casual fans of anime/manga or otakus (as in, the steriotype)?

I've purchased both Fate/Zero box sets, so I suppose I can't be casual.

I'm not the stereotype either though. I have what I feel to be a great social life, and other interests as well.

Syrinx

I'm an Ami x Makoto man myself. Granted they didn't have that many personal interactions, but they did dance together.

It's not great and I definitely prefer the anime but as a fan of Sailor Moon my personal bias probably sets it in a bit of a higher standing. I think it's competent but I also think it comes down to your personal tolerance for some things.

The CG effects are typical television special effects but some other things, such as Luna is often portrayed more as a stuffed toy taken off of one of the merchandizing lines.

The acting isn't great but to be fair for a few of the girls this was their first acting role. With that in mind you do notice them getting better as the show goes along as well.

The story also makes some changes as well such that it's not all exactly the same so it is interesting to see some of the different story twists that were come up with. Honestly that's probably one of the most interesting things about the show in just comparing and contrasting it to the other adaptations in the series.

The fights aren't really very elaborate most of the time either. Copying the anime's use of special effect type attacks it does fine but as far as maybe the more physical kicks and punches you're better off watching something like Akibaranger or Kamen Rider, or at least the newest one as that's all I've seen of those types of shows personally.

I literally laughed out loud when I read the Luna as a stuffed animal thing. I just got this weird picture in my head of a stuffed animal sitting there with a dubbed voice. I'm pretty sure that's not how it plays out, but that's the imagery I got. Would have thought they'd go for some Sabrina the Teenage Witch thing where it would be some cat sitting there or whatever, but it has a dub.

I wouldn't even bother with it if it was exactly the same, so I guess it's good to hear it's a little different. One of the reasons I'm interested in hearing more about the new anime is just seeing how they'll go about starting it over again, or if that is even what they plan on doing.

May check it out at some point. Even if I had settled on watching it, it would still go pretty far back into my backlog (I haven't even watched Sailor Stars or whatever yet). Maybe it'll eventually be my drinking show.

Hidamari Sketch X Hoshimittsu Special 1

5oBuS.jpg

I see someone played Recettear.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Have kinda fallen out of anime since I dropped Nyarko a few weeks back. Been on a bit of a toku kick since then (watched all of Gekiranger, halfway through Kamen Rider W). Think I might rewatch Nichijou soon though. I miss it. :lol

Also I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's the deal with Yuru Yuri?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Have kinda fallen out of anime since I dropped Nyarko a few weeks back. Been on a bit of a toku kick since then (watched all of Gekiranger, halfway through Kamen Rider W). Think I might rewatch Nichijou soon though. I miss it. :lol

Also I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's the deal with Yuru Yuri?

Yuru Yuri is a fun show. It's pretty light on the yuri, more undertones than anything. Basically your standard easy going teenage girls being teenages girls type of comedy.

Syrinx

Darker Than Black Vol. 2 Ep. 4

Am I a bad person for hoping they would have sex when they were laying down next to each other?

Good to finally see a bit of character development for Kirihara and see her as something other than a police woman with an enormous flagpole stuck up her ass. Looked pretty awesome in that dress too. Also pretty ballsy of her middle (high?) school self taking a mob princesses cigarettes and telling her she smelled like a dead yak's ass (okay, I made up the part about the yak, but still).

Not entirely sure how that mob guy's powers work, but they look pretty brutal.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

In other news: I should've been caught up on Smile by now, but I've been hooked on Red vs Blue for the last couple days. On season 7 at the moment, so I should be caught up by either late tonight or tomorrow.

You're watching redvsblue? Good man.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
doesnt that apply to middle schoolers specifically? okabe seems more eccentric than anything
and actually lives up to his musings

It's named for them, yes. But the "disease" can apply to anyone with delusions of grandeur. ^^;

So how am I watching Crunchyroll in 1080p when I am not a member? Is this only for the fall simulcasts because other older shows tell me I need a premium membership?

Ultimadrago

I'd like to spend this time to say that I've recently finished Bacanno! and it was amazing.

You should watch it, Cain!

Space Brothers 25:
Quite the strong episode, once again. I absolutely loved the timing in the scene where Mutta discovers the rain, and it felt very real to me. I've had far too many days where I had a long list of things I was going to get done on a certain day, and then I've gotten up to do them and 'nope, it's raining, too bad'. I also liked the scenes of Mutta training later on, which were pretty funny, but also had some good character moments. And the brief flashbacks with Hibito and Azuma were quite interesting, and I'm curious to find out more about that relationship and just what is the deal with Azuma. His line from that press conference was pretty cool, and I can understand why it resonated so much with Hibito.

Director Nasuda at the end of the episode was great, too. That guy is gold in every scene he's in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It believe it was called Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger.

Ohhhhhh, Akibaranger! Yeah, I've heard that's really good. It's a parody of/homage to Sentai. Made by Toei, the same guys who make the main Sentai series. Full of references to previous Sentai and such. It's definitely on my "watch this someday" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom