• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Looks like the Psycho-Pass website updated today with Amano's concept sketches for Yayoi. Only Gino and Shogo are left.

I really wish the show got a higher budget to do the concept art justice. I mean if the character designs in the show looked anything like this and was consistent, I would probably be enjoying the show more.

wonzo

Banned
Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar 1

I have no idea what this show has to do with Tenchi Muyo beyond the main characters last name being Masaki. Well the girls in it are cute at least.

duckroll

I really wish the show got a higher budget to do the concept art justice. I mean if the character designs in the show looked anything like this and was consistent, I would probably be enjoying the show more.

I really don't think it is a budget issue. It's just how the animation character designer chose to adapt the original designs. No matter how much more animation a given episode has, all the animators still base their character art on the animation designs, not the original designs. At the same time, if the animation designs were more complex or just had better detailing, even a low budget episode without much motion would look better art-wise.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Blasty is 2-cour, but Ando-san will protect us! >_>

And here I was happy we only had a few left to go. That's quite the buzzkill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAgBPERkFc
It's the same premise with a musical performance on "Vacation Island" but with a different cast of characters for each game.

Holy shit I'm dying over here.

Chu 2 - 3

you can place me very firmly in team Deko.

Hopefully you'll join team DekoxNibu when the time comes.

Jarmel

Banned
I really don't think it is a budget issue. It's just how the animation character designer chose to adapt the original designs. No matter how much more animation a given episode has, all the animators still base their character art on the animation designs, not the original designs. At the same time, if the animation designs were more complex or just had better detailing, even a low budget episode without much motion would look better art-wise.

Yea it's probably not a budget issue but it's ridiculously striking when you compare it to Robotics;Notes which just looks all around better. Admittedly R;N looks more generic as well but it still looks a lot better. I mean when you look at Wit's prior work in Guilty Crown, PP looks like shit in comparison. The show shouldn't look as bad as it does and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why. Chances are I'll never know though.

Syrinx

Ah! My Goddess 12

Sayoko is pretty much the worst character in the history of anything ever, both in terms of being a total bag of raccoon shit and in terms of consistency. Let's review:

Sayoko wants to get rid of Belldandy. So this woman who appears next to her in her bed, who laughs evil-like and calls herself a devil, offers to make her a deal. Note to Sayoko: anytime a devil makes you an offer, avoid them like a plague-infested fart and run as fast as you can. But noooooooooo. She makes the deal.

So Sayoko holds up her end by putting Urd to sleep with some weird music (?), so Mara balances Keiichi's heart toward her instead of Belldandy. Except she treats Keiichi like crap and ruins the whole thing. Then Urd plays rock on all TVs, because Mara can't stop dancing to rock (this show really is so absurd; I should remember to get bombed off my ass when I watch this instead of just buzzed). Then some flying rabbit comes and takes the CD. I don't get it either.

Then, at the end, Sayoko vows to make Keiichi hers, after she JUST HAD HIM! AND SHE CALLED HIM A MORON AND AN IDIOT! FUCK YOUR ASS, SAYOKO!

Branduil

So you're saying it's all Kyoji Asano's fault.

K - 7
tumblr_mdjugqXguO1qic25lo1_500.gif

Such a good episode both halves. First half was amazing with the Yatogami Kuroh versus Munakata Riesi. Possibly he has the second best personality of those in Scepter4. I really like how they have them paired up with potential interests leading to interesting commentary between the two, like the previous Fushimi and Yata fight, the way he kept saying Misaki in that one, and then in this one the close encounters with Kuroh, both while standing and then on the ground, also do remember the scene in the room with Mikoto. Anyway, good action visuals and moments
darn for Kuroh, I thought he was stronger than that though I guess when going against a king, a vassal can only be but so strong.

So many predictions for explanations coming true.
I almost got excited when it seemed like Isana had awakaned though I guess it was just a big foil as he vanished soon thereafter. Hopefully he does reawaken soon now that we are finally getting rid of all of the genjutsus and back to square one. I didnt think the other group would be involved in this, so I guess he was actually framed for the death, maybe someone else does memory altering or can body shift?

K 7

Whoa... This is becoming Blood-C levels of mind fuck.

SPECULATION TIME!

Neko is a "Strain". As in virus strain. As in computer virus! They're in the Matrix! That's why she doesn't like phones! Neko is a sentient virus that got attached to one of the participants, and has been altering everyone's memories so he can be integrated into that society.

Also, Kuro vs psycho glasses had some damn good animation.

jbug617

Banned
Did anyone watch the new K episode? I'm glad it's starting to make a little sense.

K 7

Another good episode of helping to fill the story. I like the fight scene between Kuroh and the Blue King.
You had to know that the cat was the key to fixing all of this. While it answered one question it just leads to another question. My guess another King tries to frame Shiro and is the one who tried to kill him from the blimp

K - 7
Such a good episode both halves. First half was amazing with the Yatogami Kuroh versus Munakata Riesi. Possibly he has the second best personality of those in Scepter4. I really like how they have them paired up with potential interests leading to interesting commentary between the two, like the previous Fushimi and Yata fight, the way he kept saying Misaki in that one, and then in this one the close encounters with Kuroh, both while standing and then on the ground, also do remember the scene in the room with Mikoto. Anyway, good action visuals and moments
darn for Kuroh, I thought he was stronger than that though I guess when going against a king, a vassal can only be but so strong.

So many predictions for explanations coming true.
I almost got excited when it seemed like Isana had awakaned though I guess it was just a big foil as he vanished soon thereafter. Hopefully he does reawaken soon now that we are finally getting rid of all of the genjutsus and back to square one. I didnt think the other group would be involved in this, so I guess he was actually framed for the death, maybe someone else does memory altering or can body shift?
I think it's going to end up being someone we haven't seen yet, or maybe it's the
Guy that threw Isana from the blimp

Also I find Neko really annoying > : |

K 7

Another good episode of helping to fill the story. I like the fight scene between Kuroh and the Blue King.
You had to know that the cat was the key to fixing all of this. While it answered one question it just leads to another question. My guess another King tries to frame Shiro and is the one who tried to kill him from the blimp

My prediction is that Yashiro and his crew will end up going to the Red Clan for help, and they will fight the guy who framed Yashiro. I also think Fushimi will betray SCEPTER 4 for more Colors I guess.

duckroll

Yea it's probably not a budget issue but it's ridiculously striking when you compare it to Robotics;Notes which just looks all around better. Admittedly R;N looks more generic as well but it still looks a lot better. I mean when you look at Wit's prior work in Guilty Crown, PP looks like shit in comparison. The show shouldn't look as bad as it does and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why. Chances are I'll never know though.

I have a few ideas why it looks kinda bad, but I don't agree that Robotics;Notes looks much better at all. After all, part of the reason I dropped R;N is because of how bland and uninteresting it looks. Terrible character designs, boring visual composition, etc. But ymmv, so whatever. :)

In the case of Psycho-Pass, I would say they're clearly going for a Fate/Zero sort of visual look, but IG either doesn't have the time or the capability (or both?) to match that quality on the composite level.

The characters in Fate/Zero aren't particularly detailed either on the key animation level, but what elevates the entire visual tone in the series is the strong composite and finishing. The color design, the way the frames are colors, the lighting in the final composite, the shadows, various the digital effects, etc. The amount of effort Ufotable puts into the post-animation process results in a very cohesive image, and the detailed backgrounds blend well with the less detailed 2D animated characters. Characters have various color tones which accurately convey the setting, the time of day, the mood of the scene, etc, without making them look like flat zombies.

In contrast, Psycho-Pass looks mostly flat, the characters stand out from the backgrounds, and the colors are often washed out and makes everyone look like an albino zombie. That's not an attractive visual look. The more characters stand out in this way, the more attention is also drawn to how they're not very detailed to begin with, and in some cases how they're just badly drawn. It doesn't help that the layouts in Psycho-Pass just aren't very interesting either, and so the characters feel like cut outs pasted onto a pre-made background, instead of characters moving and inhabiting a natural 3D space with an active camera on them.

tl;dr: I think IG's composite department really kinda sucks these days. Some of their shows still look good, but it's getting less common. Either shoddy workmanship because of more deadlines, or some staff are much less capable than others.

So you're saying it's all Kyoji Asano's fault.

I don't think it's fair to blame just one person, especially if the person is an artist and animator who is working in a larger company and probably under instructions to create a certain style which ended up looking unappealing. A quick glance at IG's character design output in the last few years will reveal a similar trend in some other shows by other animation character designers as well... especially in their noitaminA output. :(

Branduil

I don't think it's fair to blame just one person, especially if the person is an artist and animator who is working in a larger company and probably under instructions to create a certain style which ended up looking unappealing. A quick glance at IG's character design output in the last few years will reveal a similar trend in some other shows by other animation character designers as well... especially in their noitaminA output. :(

Bunny Drop had good character designs, though.

Bunny Drop didn't really suffer from this problem though. Its character designs were good, and generally meshed well with the backgrounds. It was a very pleasant looking show overall.

I do agree with your larger point that Production I.G. is suffering from systemic flaws in their digital composition these days, though. I just watched the trailer for their new Mercedes commercial, and that's not really looking so hot. Whenever they aim at something like a "gritty" look, it doesn't work out so well.

duckroll

Bunny Drop had good character designs, though.

Yes, it's an exception. I feel that Library Wars, Eden of the East, and Guilty Crown all share similar problems with Psycho-Pass. Some more than others, and sometimes not in the same areas (for example Eden had rather nice faces because the hair is generally more detailed for each character).

Bunny Drop didn't really suffer from this problem though. Its character designs were good, and generally meshed well with the backgrounds. It was a very pleasant looking show overall.

I do agree with your larger point that Production I.G. is suffering from systemic flaws in their digital composition these days, though. I just watched the trailer for their new Mercedes commercial, and that's not really looking so hot. Whenever they aim at something like a "gritty" look, it doesn't work out so well.

And perhaps this post explains why Bunny Drop was an exception. It wasn't trying to be a high concept show with organizations, scifi, and "gritty" stuff. It was a warmer concept, and that played to the strengths of what IG is capable of these days.

k3yring

Has anyone had trouble accessing the Funimation website today?
I can't seem to get it to load on my network connection today.
It's usually slow just won't come up today though.

Branduil

Yes, it's an exception. I feel that Library Wars, Eden of the East, and Guilty Crown all share similar problems with Psycho-Pass. Some more than others, and sometimes not in the same areas (for example Eden had rather nice faces because the hair is generally more detailed for each character).

It seems like their shows look worse the more digital effects and backgrounds they employ.

Wasurenagumo also looked really good.

Ultimadrago

Kaiji 11-13

It's awfully convenient for both Kaiji and
Endou
to both share enemies in Teiai. However, a big job does call for big connections.
I'm just ready for them to hit the seat again. It's time for a plan to start moving its cogs.

Side note:
I hope they cleaned the urine Sakazaki left in the Bog pit from his crushing loss
because that's just nasty!

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! 7
This episode was so weird. It obviously starts out like it's going to be any run-of-the-mill fanservice episode, but they keep showing Rikka being all mopey. I mean, it is a fanservice episode, but the way how it ends really threw me for a loop. Not that it happened at all, I expected something like this to crop up, I just didn't expect it to happen in a beach episode of all things. Still, it made sure not to get too serious with everything, even with the ending.
No bikini Touka sucks though.
We're definitely getting into the romantic side of things now, I can't wait to see how all this is going to pan out in the next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom