• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

8QPYG.jpg

Whelp. I guess the gods of anime felt that I wasn't battered enough by the Hamlet quotes in Blasty this week. >_<

Do you know what's worse? The first performance wasn't till 1602. Why would anime lie to me?

Robotics;Notes 06

Still waiting for the whole mix of robots and science to come together since it does feel like two different stories are happening and we just have to shift gears to adjust whenever they decide to switch over to the other story.

Father drama isn't exactly that thrilling either.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I appreciate the screen grabs some of you guys include and all, but sometimes it is way too much on spoiling certain moments.

Jex

Kaiji S2 9-10

It's time to face
"The Man-Eating Bog"

Since this opponent is a
machine lacking human complexities
, I'm wondering how the show will attempt to mix things up in this arc.

On another note, Sakazaki is an...erm...interesting fellow.

I'm sorry about this whole arc. If only they'd taken the pacing scalpel to it in the same way that they'd taken it to the earlier arc then perhaps it might have been enjoyable.

duckroll

Do you know what's worse? The first performance wasn't till 1602. Why would anime lie to me?

Not quite true. 1602 was the first recorded performance there is evidence for. There is no historical suggestion that it wasn't performed before this, just that it wasn't noted in any recorded writing at the time. As with most plays even today, there limited performances before official openings are not uncommon at all.

Who knows, maybe between now and 2112, someone might have dug up evidence of a 1601 performance in a letter or some casual correspondence!

Aim for the Ace 1

Watched the first couple episodes of this a few months back, but now I'm going back to watch through the whole thing. I can't say I'm a fan of the way unimportant background characters are drawn; the lack of detail and gray coloring makes them look like zombies:

There's some really great use of stylized color too though:

You can feel the hatred radiating off those bare white eyes and searing yellow face. Also note the swirling background in this and the following shot:

This is a really great way to end the episode. The depressing greenish-blue of Hiromi's shocked pose against what looks like black fire and yellow smoke in the background makes it look like she is falling into the pits of hell - and indeed, that is her present mental state. Having just been watching Kaiji, it reminds me of some of the despair shots in that show, which also use abstract backgrounds to represent people's emotional states, only this is much classier because it's 70s shoujo.

i'll watch more btoom if someone can promise me that blonde gets molested every eps.

idolm4ster OVA

Team Miki is best.

er.... no team makoto!

Gotta love how they finally acknowledge that the whole fucking thing is producer is swag king.

Jex

Alternate Universe, man.
Not quite true. 1602 was the first recorded performance there is evidence for. There is no historical suggestion that it wasn't performed before this, just that it wasn't noted in any recorded writing at the time. As with most plays even today, there limited performances before official openings are not uncommon at all.

Who knows, maybe between now and 2112, someone might have dug up evidence of a 1601 performance in a letter or some casual correspondence!
Or, a simpler solution might be that the writer didn't do any research!

Mysterious Girlfriend X 5:
Well, that whole bit with the phallic imagery crossed over the 'subtext' line and just became text. It was pretty over the top.

This episode had a lot of neat visual moments and reveals, and I enjoyed the way they were handled. The music was also on top form here, with several really standout moments. Tsubaki's still a bit hopeless at times (hell, the episode opens with him failing at deliberately failing), but he gets to be a bit more assertive here. He's still awkward and out of his depth, and in that weird 'first relationship' phase, but that just makes it all the more interesting to watch. Urabe was kind of free and open with him in this episode, which made a bit of a change. Just an all around nice episode.

This is a really great way to end the episode. The depressing greenish-blue of Hiromi's shocked pose against what looks like black fire and yellow smoke in the background makes it look like she is falling into the pits of hell - and indeed, that is her present mental state. Having just been watching Kaiji, it reminds me of some of the despair shots in that show, which also use abstract backgrounds to represent people's emotional states, only this is much classier because it's 70s shoujo.

This is one of the visual elements of Aim for the Ace that I really enjoy. The show certainly has more than its fair share of static imagery, but it can really use them to great effect at conveying emotions and doing neat things with the backgrounds. It's a great skill since the show is constantly having places where you need those high-intensity emotional reactions and bitches getting bitchy.

Dresden

zetsuen no tempest - 07

Another fine episode. Just a really nice effort re: the development between Mahiro and Yoshino, how they trust and distrust each other, the misconceptions, the history and the small betrayals that leads up to the moment in the morning, gun out, lamp burnt away from the previous evening. We're heading into the moment of TRUTH and I'm not sure if anyone will survive (or keep watching) by the time it's done. Exciting stuff!

And yo Aika is a total cocktease.

This is one of the visual elements of Aim for the Ace that I really enjoy. The show certainly has more than its fair share of static imagery, but it can really use them to great effect at conveying emotions and doing neat things with the backgrounds. It's a great skill since the show is constantly having places where you need those high-intensity emotional reactions and bitches getting bitchy.

The power of Dezaki! No one has gotten more emotional power out of limited animation than him.

Thoraxes

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb - 07

I AM VERY HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYY

There needs to be a 10 minute loop. I can listen to that for years.

NOW NOW

NOW

DGqDu.jpg
ErFZr.jpg

wonzo

Banned
The iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa Honey Sound

imasovahoney.jpg
imasovahoneya.jpg

Ritsuko, Haruka, Chihaya and Azusa discover the wonders of multiculturalism while trying to think of a way to best the insidious Jupiter. This not only had far more Kotori and Ritsuko but it also featured far less of the dumb Producer so clearly it's the best of the three! As far as the music video's go; MUSIC&#9834; (ED) = eDeN (Groovy Tune) > Visionary (Funky Note) > Vault That Boerderline! (Honey Sound). I'd recommend checking out the music videos at the very least regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the main series and I'd recommend the rest if you did to fill the void between the inevitable second season (or Puchimas!).

imasovahoneyb.jpg
imasovahoneyc.jpg

Lain

K 7

Neko's lack of nipples is really a downer.
At least the episode was good, with that hand 2 hand fight and some face slapping, plus a little (very little, damn it) bit of info about Shiro's real past.
I hope for a bit more explanations coming in next episode.

Thoraxes

Magi 01 - 03

Guess the ricebowl/pot/reverse icecream sandwich?!

Note: Each image is a unique mouth. None have been repeated.

0yGB7.png

I liked this opening arc. I haven't read anything of the source material yet, but that was fun and I love adventure stuff like this. The music is awesome too, and I like the setting. I think the characters are neat, and the labyrinth concept is cool.

I watch the entire OP for "THE SHOWTTTIIIIIIMMMEEEEE" dunno why.

Also, I like that each episode progressively became about Mor's thighs. Even Aladdin likes her legs!

21qHW.jpg
2YmiF.jpg
r9drP.jpg

duckroll

Medaka Box Abnormal - Episode 6

That was so fucking good! Definitely the best thing I've seen from all of Medaka Box so far! Great humor, great action, crazy random shit! Perfect casting, awesome timing! The show is really ridiculous, and it knows it! The references, the flashbacks, the new characters, the animals! It's all so good! The best part is, it's not even over! There's more of the same to come next week! Can't wait! This series is everything cosmicblizzard promised and more! I can't end a sentence in this post without an exclamation mark! Is this a sign that I am Abnormal?! Or am I just really excited?! Could this be the beginning of a beautiful friendship?! I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Polar Bear's Café 32
I love how this show can take jokes from episodes ago and make them feel fresh all over again.

Just in how much dough is Polar Bear rolling in order to finance such a huge supply chain? The restaurant must be way more popular than it appears. Poor Sasako-chan is surely overworked.
Anime of the Forever.

Speaking of which...
and llama is always at the butt of it :(

someday he will shine!
Llama's fifteen seconds of fame were fabulous. Llamambo!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa Honey Sound
As far as the music video's go; MUSIC&#9834; (ED) = eDeN (Groovy Tune) > Visionary (Funky Note) > Vault That Boerderline! (Honey Sound). I'd recommend checking out the music videos at the very least regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the main series and I'd recommend the rest if you did to fill the void between the inevitable second season (or Puchimas!).
Everyone is a seal. I don't really know why but okay, I can run with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom