• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But is it any good? Or is it just gonna be another one of those "lol Evangelion is not as good as they say" podcasts?
Although Parish hates Japan and anime and whatever (as evidenced by that thread people got pissy over), he is an Eva fanboi.

Well, at least now I don't feel bad about buying Utena in DVD.
Yeah, same here. Although I probably would have double dipped. :p

They cant just raise cost on BD's and release more BDs. I think people are willing to pay for better quality of their coveted series.
Rightstuf/Nozomi has always been reluctant to do BDs... probably because they don't want to go the way of other anime licensors and actually make money.

I have no idea how much extra they'd have to charge to make it worth it to them though. Maybe Mandoric or someone can tell us the price per unit cost of pressing/authoring a DVD vs a BD?

----

Speaking of which, the Rose of Versailles DVDs won't have the French audio track, for people who were curious about that.

wonzo

Banned
"Awww :( Well we still have Ebiten this season for our fan service.

Personally though it's more of what the panties represent than actually seeing them. They represent freedom and happiness :p Censorship just represents oppression. I have never felt displeased with an anime with fanservice in it, no matter how crappy its story may be.

Well, back to my closet pervert closet."

-- xxJing, myanimelist.net (2012)

uh huh

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm goign to watch the original Evangelion tv series for the first time starting today. Note: I've watched bits and pieces of it but not consecutively.

mAcOdIn

Rightstuf/Nozomi has always been reluctant to do BDs... probably because they don't want to go the way of other anime licensors and actually make money.
I think you got it wrong, I think he doesn't want to lose money. One of the people in the chat made a comment like "you're not printing 10's of thousands of these things" to which he replied "I wish," implying that some of his titles don't even break 20 thousand. I mean, come on, with that kind of low volume if they truly made a bad move it could be really bad for them, they're a stark contrast to, say, Funimation that can afford to lose a few million dollars one quarter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Although Parish hates Japan and anime and whatever (as evidenced by that thread people got pissy over), he is an Eva fanboi.
Parish is not the one that worries me, but rather the other pundits.
I'm goign to watch the original Evangelion tv series for the first time starting today. Note: I've watched bits and pieces of it but not consecutively.
I predict you are gonna end up hating it, but still, good choice of show.

Soma

moonspeak's waifu.

We4sP.gif

Hope you enjoy it.

I've been in the mood to rewatch the entire series and movies lately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Parish is not the one that worries me, but rather the other pundits.
No, it's a bunch of weeaboos. Bob Mackey, Christian Nutt, Jose Otero. All they're missing is like, Kat Bailey and Ray Barnholt and it would have been a full Japanese nerd fest. lol

I think you got it wrong, I think he doesn't want to lose money. One of the people in the chat made a comment like "you're not printing 10's of thousands of these things" to which he replied "I wish," implying that some of his titles don't even break 20 thousand. I mean, come on, with that kind of low volume if they truly made a bad move it could be really bad for them, they're a stark contrast to, say, Funimation that can afford to lose a few million dollars one quarter.
Well, wanting to make money and not lose money are the same thing... aren't they?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why do you say that?
Just a feeling.
No, it's a bunch of weeaboos. Bob Mackey, Christian Nutt, Jose Otero. All they're missing is like, Kat Bailey and Ray Barnholt and it would have been a full Japanese nerd fest. lol
I feel I'm turning Japanese.
Don't underestimate the pull of Eva on even the non-weeabelievers.

It's a 'safe' show to say you watched and even liked.
Until people start discussing Shinji when compared to other mecha pilots!

Not that I believe most kids today even know what mecha is.

mAcOdIn

Well, wanting to make money and not lose money are the same thing... aren't they?
Not really, there's a higher degree of "risk" involved in making good money as opposed to making the kind of money that just allows you to continue operations. I mean, either way you're making money, you can't break even because then you shut down the next month, so he's making money, but that element of risk that takes you to the next level of making money's pretty dangerous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really, there's a higher degree of "risk" involved in making good money as opposed to making the kind of money that just allows you to continue operations. I mean, either way you're making money, you can't break even because then you shut down the next month, so he's making money, but that element of risk that takes you to the next level of making money's pretty dangerous.
I suppose so. But he also has the advantage of being "Steam" inasmuch as he owns a distribution platform as well. Of course, the only business that's worse than translating anime is probably selling anime DVDs, but what can ya do. lol

Cwarrior

1up decided to do an Evangelion podcast in celebration of Eva 3.0:
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3182486

Also, on the ANNCast, the Rightstuf dude said they were "looking at" the Utena blurays in terms of future release plans. Which is code for "not in a million years", since he goes on to mention how BD pressing is still extremely expensive.

This week, Games, Dammit! takes a break from talking strictly about video games to bring you a one-of-a-kind discussion about the biggest anime ever made in Japan.

What dragon ball z or pokemon?(quite misleading) eva fans sure live in there own world if they think it's the biggest anime ever made.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What dragon ball z or pokemon? eva fans sure live in there own world if they think it's the biggest anime ever made.
I think you could make the argument that Evangelion has been the most popular original anime (as in, not adapted from anywhere else) since Gundam.

mAcOdIn

I suppose so. But he also has the advantage of being "Steam" inasmuch as he owns a distribution platform as well. Of course, the only business that's worse than translating anime is probably selling anime DVDs, but what can ya do. lol
I don't think you can compare Right Stuf to Steam in any good conscious.

I think the easiest way to look at this is, Sendai/Section 23/ADV's Ghost and Funimation aren't even touching the Utena Blurays either, so what does that tell you? That all of them hate free money? Or that at the moment all of them think the return on the investment is too low or negative?

Also, you took from his conversation that they'd do the Blurays "not in a million years" but I got quite the opposite from him, I think he'd do it as soon as he felt it became commercially viable. Which may indeed be a million years or it could be 6 months, really no telling.

Sword Art Online 20

That fight was fuckin good. If ALO has one edge over SAO, it's the potential for really fuckin cool mid-air battles.

I've said it before, but the degree people take the game seriously to the point of coming up with derogatory terms for different player species is awesome.

trejo

Robotics;Notes 6

I'm not sure how to feel about all these dramaz. On the one hand it gives some of the characters some much needed development but on the other hand it's kinda not really all that good so far.

Also, Fraukojiro is my new favorite character in the show.

That reminds me I need to quit this hobby before my midlife crisis.

But mAc's still here and he turned out alright. Or at least as much as one could realistically expect.

Mandoric

Banned

Sentai interviews have publicly pointed to 2,500 units being their version of Japan's 4,000-5,000 "success line" at this point; other sources indicate that that rough ratio also holds for bombas industrywide, though not necessarily for successes.

mAcOdIn

But mAc's still here and he turned out alright. Or at least as much as one could realistically expect.
I, is this a compliment or not? I don't even.....

Firehawk12, I think the last thing I'd say regarding RightStuf/Nozomi, and this is of course without knowing the owner, is that I feel this is something that he actually wants to do. Not Utena on Bluray in particular but bring over anime from Japan. I don't feel that he's trying to make a business to sell to someone or wants to achieve some short period of growth and then move on to lead Best Buy or some shit, I think he's doing exactly what he wants to do in life. And the only reason I mention that is I feel it tempers what he will or won't do versus a person with different goals.
Sentai interviews have publicly pointed to 2,500 units being their version of Japan's 4,000-5,000 "success line" at this point; other sources indicate that that rough ratio also holds for bombas industrywide, though not necessarily for successes.
well, that's good to know, though I can't make any use of it without the rest of the specifics but I think it does help to put things in perspective.

duckroll

Cross-posting from the Eva 3.0 thread, the first hint of how big the movie is going to be:

http://animeanime.jp/article/2012/11/18/12099.html

First box office results are in, but not the national total for the first day. Instead the report right now only covers Shinjuku Wald 9, which is the cineplex which had the midnight opening for the film.

There are 9 screens in the cineplex, and from midnight until 6am on the opening day, it made 7,115,900yen with 4,087 tickets sold. The first day total at the cineplex for Eva 3.0 is 25,675,800yen with 15,290 tickets sold. All 9 screens at the cineplex was completely sold out for each of the 8 screenings during the day for each screen.

Cwarrior

I think you could make the argument that Evangelion has been the most popular original anime (as in, not adapted from anywhere else) since Gundam.

That pretty much removes most of anime as nearly all animes are based on a manga/comic/game/tvshow/visualnovel/lightnovel that's like being the second fattest man on your tiny island not much of an accomplishment.

You said it yourself anyways it's not even the biggest original anime since Gundam is bigger.

Am not debating if it's big or small just the statement very wrong/untrue it's like when game journalist say silly things like "Yo the assassin creed franchise is the biggest gaming franchise ever created" theirs no debate it's just untrue.

CorvoSol

Until people start discussing Shinji when compared to other mecha pilots!

Not that I believe most kids today even know what mecha is.

Playing Super Robot Wars is hilarious for this reason. One the one side you have the guys who are shouting at the top of their lungs and laughing like psychos while they blow stuff up, and on the other side you have the guys who cry even when they're NOT being forced at semi-gunpoint to pilot their super robots. It's like there's no middle ground.
Which is why I like Sousuke from FMP, because he dances all over the line.

So I just finished watching End of Evangelion. I'm not sure if I'd ever actually watched it the whole way through before. I'm assuming that EoE is meant to be what's actually happening during the brainmelt that were the last two episodes of the series, and it certainly explains the stuff like "Hey, what happened to Misato and Ritsuko?" and while if I hadn't watched those two episodes I'd likely have been like "What the fu-?" the whole way through, it was considerably more to the point than those two episodes.

Mostly because I didn't have to hear Shinji and Rei say "I am me" like thirty times in EoE. Thank God.

Anyway, it was really good, if still crazy as all heck. I'll have to get back to the Rebuilds here in a while (I have to finish homework) so I can see if I remember why some people hate Mari so much and why her smug-ass face accompanies Ghost_Protocol everywhere he goes.

Mandoric

Banned
Firehawk12, I think the last thing I'd say regarding RightStuf/Nozomi, and this is of course without knowing the owner, is that I feel this is something that he actually wants to do. Not Utena on Bluray in particular but bring over anime from Japan. I don't feel that he's trying to make a business to sell to someone or wants to achieve some short period of growth and then move on to lead Best Buy or some shit, I think he's doing exactly what he wants to do in life. And the only reason I mention that is I feel it tempers what he will or won't do versus a person with different goals.

Be extremely, extremely careful what you wish for. I know some wonderful people that do this for a living because they love it, and you kind of have to have some kind of personal drive to bother, but it tends to lead to choices that are in no one's interest sometimes.

yami4ct

I plan to give it a rewatch once the movies finish. I want to refresh myself, but rather wait until everything's done so I can really compare/contrast.

Don't underestimate the pull of Eva on even the non-weeabelievers.

It's a 'safe' show to say you watched and even liked.

Yep. The only anime that I can think of that gets as much, if not more, universal high praise from even those who don't like anime is Cowboy Bebop.

Speaking of Bebop, I've recently started my yearly rewatch of the show. It's better than I remembered. It's amazing, I must have watched it 5 or 6 times, yet I still pick up on new things each time. There's a reason it's probably my favorite show of all time. It's about as close to perfection as you can get, for me at least. I'll probably write in more detail when I finish.

mAcOdIn

Be extremely, extremely careful what you wish for. I know some wonderful people that do this for a living because they love it, and you kind of have to have some kind of personal drive to bother, but it tends to lead to choices that are in no one's interest sometimes.
EH? I don't wish for anything in this discussion or do you just mean people in general as a kind of life lesson?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh, the 1up guys also go with the stupid interpretation of Evangelion that says that
Shinji accepts Instrumentality in the TV series

I really, really, really don't understand how people can come to that conclusion or even state that as fact.

I don't think you can compare Right Stuf to Steam in any good conscious.

I think the easiest way to look at this is, Sendai/Section 23/ADV's Ghost and Funimation aren't even touching the Utena Blurays either, so what does that tell you? That all of them hate free money? Or that at the moment all of them think the return on the investment is too low or negative?

Also, you took from his conversation that they'd do the Blurays "not in a million years" but I got quite the opposite from him, I think he'd do it as soon as he felt it became commercially viable. Which may indeed be a million years or it could be 6 months, really no telling.
Well, they're doing Penguindrum BDs, which is probably just as niche. :p

I think Nozomi just isn't interested in the BD market because they are more boutique and also don't want to get into that game. Sora no Woto isn't particularly niche - and both the other Anime no Chikara shows have since been licensed and released on BD - they just don't want to go with the risk of doing BD releases.

That's why I'm saying that it won't happen in a million years. There needs to be some kind of drastic shift - BDs get extremely cheap to make, DVDs stop being a viable format - for them to seriously consider it.

The last time they had him on the podcast and someone asked him about BDs, he gave the same "we're always looking at it" answer. I don't think that will change.

But hey, they go after the weird stuff that no one else wants and at least in the case of Aria, they got all the special features over, so I'm not complaining too much.

duckroll

That pretty much removes most of anime as nearly all animes are based on a manga/comic/game/tvshow/visualnovel/lightnovel that's like being the second fattest man on your tiny island not much of an accomplishment.

You said it yourself anyways it's not even the biggest original anime since Gundam is bigger.

Am not debating if it's big or small just the statement very wrong/untrue it's like when game journalist say silly things like "Yo the assassin creed franchise is the biggest gaming franchise ever created" theirs no debate it's just untrue.

So remind me, when was the last time a Gundam, DBZ, or Pokemon anime sold over 800k for a single movie in the home video release?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jesus, really? How is that even possible considering that they sell their sets in two volumes? The licenses must be really cheap or BD pressing must be cheaper than I thought.

Then again, spending 9 years of your life trying to get something licensed and released is something that a sane person probably wouldn't bother doing.

They're going after the shit that no one wants... because why else would Aoi Hana be released in America? (And hopefully Wandering Son, at some point). I appreciate the work they're doing.

I just think their stance on BD to be interesting, since they are the vocal holdouts against moving to BD as a business.

Cwarrior

So remind me, when was the last time a Gundam, DBZ, or Pokemon anime sold over 800k for a single movie in the home video release?

Wait are you really trying to debate eva the biggest anime ever & bigger then those? no point getting in a debate you know your on the losing end, I didn't diss eva yet so no point getting your knickers in a twist.

mAcOdIn

In terms of thinking that fans all the way up the food chain is better for you the viewer.
But I don't think that at all. I'm merely saying that I think that is how he operates not that I think it's in everyone's best interests.
Well, they're doing Penguindrum BDs, which is probably just as niche. :p

I think Nozomi just isn't interested in the BD market because they are more boutique and also don't want to get into that game. Sora no Woto isn't particularly niche - and both the other Anime no Chikara shows have since been licensed and released on BD - they just don't want to go with the risk of doing BD releases.

That's why I'm saying that it won't happen in a million years. There needs to be some kind of drastic shift - BDs get extremely cheap to make, DVDs stop being a viable format - for them to seriously consider it.

The last time they had him on the podcast and someone asked him about BDs, he gave the same "we're always looking at it" answer. I don't think that will change.

But hey, they go after the weird stuff that no one else wants and at least in the case of Aria, they got all the special features over, so I'm not complaining too much.
Well, I'd argue that all these titles are niche and that we're now trying to say that one title is more or less niche than another niche title, lol.

I also don't believe you have to wait until some drastic event happens, I think you'll see it in time.
Jesus, really? How is that even possible considering that they sell their sets in two volumes? The licenses must be really cheap or BD pressing must be cheaper than I thought.
I imagine that pressing discs becomes cheaper the more you do, therefore if you could license more shows thus having more discs, despite the runs being around similar sizes, that you'd get a discount.
I just think their stance on BD to be interesting, since they are the vocal holdouts against moving to BD as a business.
I guess I just don't find it that annoying because I don't feel they are holdouts in the sense they think it'll fail or whatnot but that they just don't feel their titles would sell enough for them. I don't take anything they say as some giant take on the anime bluray industry.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Jojo - 07

Dio you're such a bastard. :O

Speedwagon needs to get his shit together. Not only does he have the sword 'Pluck', he now has Zeppeli's swag hat. If that doesn't give him the courage to do some awesome things soon I'm gonna rage.

duckroll

Wait are you really trying to debate eva bigger then those? no point getting in a debate you know your on the losing end, I didn't diss eva yet so no point getting your knickers in a twist.

It's not really a debate. If we're talking about pop culture influence, it's hard to factually determine if something really popular is more popular than something else which is also very popular. Obviously if we look at an entire franchise like Pokemon, it's bigger, but largely because of the games and not the anime. If we look at DBZ and One Piece, the manga are also much more popular, sure.

But if we're talking exclusively about anime, I would say that both in Japan and internationally, Ghibli movies and DBZ are the only things that compare to what Rebuild of Evangelion is enjoying now in actual commercial value. The highest licensing fees. The highest sales. The highest TV ratings for initial broadcast and reruns. Box office success that's climbing with each subsequent movie.

Gundam? Gundam is a great general franchise for making toy models and various spin-offs and sequels, but it has never sold as much as Eva has for any individual product. Not even compared to Eva TV. It's also dead in the US. No one was happy with the commercial performance of Gundam in the US, and Bandai Entertainment died. Lol.

Let's put things in perspective. Gundam Unicorn is the best selling Gundam anime these days. One release of Eva 2.22 outsold the first FOUR volumes of Gundam Unicorn combined.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I'd argue that all these titles are niche and that we're now trying to say that one title is more or less niche than another niche title, lol.

I also don't believe you have to wait until some drastic event happens, I think you'll see it in time.
They start off the podcast by saying how DVDs still account for most of his sales on Rightstuf, so I just don't see him changing his mind any time soon. It just doesn't seem to be a priority.

I imagine that pressing discs becomes cheaper the more you do, therefore if you could license more shows thus having more discs, despite the runs being around similar sizes, that you'd get a discount.
Yeah, but if it's 2500 to break even, how many discs can they even be making? 10k? It's not like they're making millions of these things like Disney does for their Ghibli releases.
(Even then, probably not millions :p)

I guess I just don't find it that annoying because I don't feel they are holdouts in the sense they think it'll fail or whatnot but that they just don't feel their titles would sell enough for them. I don't take anything they say as some giant take on the anime bluray industry.
No, it's only for their releases. For the old stuff they do, it doesn't matter. But if I had a choice, I would rather have Aoi Hana on BD than on DVD. Of course, there is no choice so I just accept the fact that I have to buy the DVDs and just watch the BD quality episodes elsewhere.

OceanBlue

It's not really a debate. If we're talking about pop culture influence, it's hard to factually determine if something really popular is more popular than something else which is also very popular. Obviously if we look at an entire franchise like Pokemon, it's bigger, but largely because of the games and not the anime. If we look at DBZ and One Piece, the manga are also much more popular, sure.

But if we're talking exclusively about anime, I would say that both in Japan and internationally, Ghibli movies and DBZ are the only things that compare to what Rebuild of Evangelion is enjoying now in actual commercial value. The highest licensing fees. The highest sales. The highest TV ratings for initial broadcast and reruns. Box office success that's climbing with each subsequent movie.

Gundam? Gundam is a great general franchise for making toy models and various spin-offs and sequels, but it has never sold as much as Eva has for any individual product. Not even compared to Eva TV. It's also dead in the US. No one was happy with the commercial performance of Gundam in the US, and Bandai Entertainment died. Lol.

Let's put things in perspective. Gundam Unicorn is the best selling Gundam anime these days. One release of Eva 2.22 outsold the first FOUR volumes of Gundam Unicorn combined.

Is DBZ really that high? I personally thought that a franchise like Detective Conan would beat DBZ. Conan is certainly high up there in box office results and ratings along with One Piece and Pokemon.

Mandoric

Banned

Then again, spending 9 years of your life trying to get something licensed and released is something that a sane person probably wouldn't bother doing.

They're going after the shit that no one wants... because why else would Aoi Hana be released in America? (And hopefully Wandering Son, at some point). I appreciate the work they're doing.

BD pressing is at worst around $1.25-$1.50 a disc extra at that 2,500 unit point; of that added cost, it's about 50/50 higher physical production cost per disc and a one-time cost of $1,500 or so for BD-related licenses. That said, it's entirely possible that those numbers refer to their DVD line rather than marquee titles.
The problem with BD is that up-front cost, at this point, and the fact that it's extremely difficult to have a surprise hit with it because the BD buyer is more educated; the US market's potential for hits is basically based on judge-by-the-cover purchases, because of the extremely weak critical and genre-marketing landscape, the fanbase that already has MKVs, and of course the far better results a US licensee has if something they picked up on the cheap hits big.

In the end, it's going to be pushed on the US market under either the Aniplex (slightly better for midrange titles, depends on a strong yen) or the Bandai/Warner (slightly better for huge hits and niche titles, benefits from a weak yen) models.

mAcOdIn

They start off the podcast by saying how DVDs still account for most of his sales on Rightstuf, so I just don't see him changing his mind any time soon. It just doesn't seem to be a priority.
Well I agree it doesn't seem to be a priority and that is disappointing as a consumer.
Yeah, but if it's 2500 to break even, how many discs can they even be making? 10k? It's not like they're making millions of these things like Disney does for their Ghibli releases.
(Even then, probably not millions :p)
No, no, no. Lets say I license Sora no Woto and have 4 discs per set at 3 thousand sets, I assume that quote for that job would cost x amount. Now lets say I went to the same company and asked how much it'd cost to press Sora no Woto, Penquin Drum, Aria the Scarlet Ammo and, uh, Strike Witches. It owuld of course cost more, you're now doing 4 print runs but I imagine the cost per disc would actually go down.
No, it's only for their releases. For the old stuff they do, it doesn't matter. But if I had a choice, I would rather have Aoi Hana on BD than on DVD. Of course, there is no choice so I just accept the fact that I have to buy the DVDs and just watch the BD quality episodes elsewhere.
I agree with that.

Mandoric

Banned
No, no, no. Lets say I license Sora no Woto and have 4 discs per set at 3 thousand sets, I assume that quote for that job would cost x amount. Now lets say I went to the same company and asked how much it'd cost to press Sora no Woto, Penquin Drum, Aria the Scarlet Ammo and, uh, Strike Witches. It owuld of course cost more, you're now doing 4 print runs but I imagine the cost per disc would actually go down.

Cost per disc only scales down, at least for small runs, as long as it's the same disc. Nothing in the range we're talking about comes remotely near what most duplicators would consider a major contract to be fought for.
Plus, large portions of the cost are in setup time and master costs which are fixed no matter how many discs you want.

Is Rebuild actually selling well in US? And I don't just mean in context of the anime market, but legitimately well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom