• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I share this pain, but I think that when you remove his over-the-top whining, there is a lot that's to relate to in Shinji. I mean, minus his ridiculous angst moments, he's an awkward teenager who doesn't know how to relate to women, can't understand the adults in his life, and thinks that everything is about him and that everything depends on him, and that aspect of Shinji I found easy to relate to. What fourteen year old boy doesn't balance thinking the world of himself with a heaping dose of awkwardness and self-hate?

Anyway, I just finished ReBuild 1.11, and WTF at
the Lilith? on the Moon. I thought the one underneath NERV looked weird with two eyes when SEELE's logo retained the original seven, but now that I look at those deep black eyes, I wonder if that's not the body of Rei from the End of Evangelion. I dunno. CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY all the time, that's this show!

And you know what? I think the only character I don't like (barring Gendo, who you're meant not to like) is Kaworu. He's just so . . . I dunno. I just don't like him. I'm not hip on Rei, but over the course of the series she grows on you. Kaworu's there for 1 episode and Shinji instantly thinks he's so cool, and the fans, too. Kid bugs me. Maybe over the course of these movies he'll actually develop into a character and I'll like him. I dunno.

There are many hints at the fact that this movie series may be just
a part of a cycle created by Shinji's actions in EoE
. While this may be something that will remain as hints in the background or will play an integral part going forward remains to be seen. I hope it's true because it's just insane enough to be super awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 33
While the landing wasn't anywhere near as intense as the launch was, the reactions following it were incredibly well handled and really did bring in that overwhelming sense of triumph that the show loves to doll out. The
video with Apo and Hibito's first words were pretty damn funny.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/spacebros33a.jpg

The show is all about the derp faces for you now, isn't it?

Also, these 2 minute recaps are just ridiculous at this point. It just feels like these arcs aren't meant to be divided into 22 minute chunks. :/

I just don't like him man! He's whiny, even if it's pretty understandable. It's hard for me to relate because my parents don't fucking hate me.
That's what makes him great. He's the anti-shounen protagonist who hates everything around him!

Well, more:
One of the things that really put the hurt on ADV and Geneon in the mid-00s, the start of the bust, was Suncoast going bankrupt. In addition to it being a retailer that traditionally pushed anime heavily, as part of its death throes it scrambled for every cent it could by taking advantage of return clauses.
Meaning, over a year or so, most companies which self-distributed were suddenly obligated to cut multi-million-dollar checks to Suncoast plus find warehouse space and workers to deal with massive piles of non-selling titles. This is where ADV's series of emergency $5 sales came from.
Now, on the other hand, if Sentai owns all the rights to titles, and S23 is a separate company that handles their distribution break-even, it means that when a massive return comes in like it will when Best Buy goes tits up in a couple years, they can be told "we're broke too, but we can send you over some packing tape and a couple more cases of discs!"
Yeah. That's basically what killed TokyoPop too, isn't it? I can see people being wiser now.
Still, if 2500 is the break even point, will people even have warehouses full of anime DVDs that no one wants? What's the standard print run for an average series nowadays? It can't be more than 10k for a first printing, I assume?

I don't know, and I don't know! Just to make things entirely clear, when I say "pure rotten luck" I mean that the announcement hit right when I had worked up a draft on my own and was contemplating how I wanted to publish it.
Ah, fair enough. lol
But hey, maybe you can try to turn your rotten luck into our advantage somehow. Start working on yet another thing hat has no chance of coming over here and let's see what happens!

Uchip

Banned
has there ever been a better time to be into shounen anime?
One Piece , HxH and Jojo are all pretty great right now

Hunter x Hunter being the most improved over the last few episodes

Mandoric

Banned
Actually, finding decent lists of originals is kinda hard. Maybe I'll do it later.
But off the top of my head, at least Tiger & Bunny has been a decent-sized hit, post-Madoka.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That's what makes him great. He's the anti-shounen protagonist who hates everything around him!
Aight, we can agree there.

Unrelated, but the more I watch of Psycho-Pass the more I like it. Started out kinda lame, but it's getting more interesting.

2spookieboogie4me

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Define "big"! Madoka hit on a level only rivaled by Eva and Gundam; it took a lot of convincing per-se but most of that convincing was done by sales results of previous projects.
Actually, lemme put together a list of original results recently.
"Big" has to mean something that just blows the competition out of the water and is completely unexpected. Even the 10-20k successes have to be seen as aberrations more than anything else?

Of course, that said, Ghibli and Gundam numbers are just the mainstream exception and probably can't apply.
Actually, finding decent lists of originals is kinda hard. Maybe I'll do it later.
But off the top of my head, at least Tiger & Bunny has been a decent-sized hit, post-Madoka.
Oh yes, I forgot about that yaoi show!

Defuser

Sword Art Online ep 20

Using his smarts to bluff enemies? Check.
Applying his beastly fightings skills to beat the shit out of the enemy? Check.
Applying his smoke techniques for deception and stealth? Check.
Having a shit ton of money to give away? Check.
Having girls cling onto him and trying to seduce because he is so goddamn awesome? Double Check.

Kirito living up to his Batman name.

Edit:
Fanservice has more sakuga than action sakuga. Glad to see what priorities A1 has :|

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eva TV 3-4

Wow... the quality dropped in terms of detail and just how the visuals looked overall for some reason. Or maybe I'm just tired. Idk....

Mandoric

Banned
Yeah. That's basically what killed TokyoPop too, isn't it? I can see people being wiser now.
Still, if 2500 is the break even point, will people even have warehouses full of anime DVDs that no one wants? What's the standard print run for an average series nowadays? It can't be more than 10k for a first printing, I assume?

I'm honestly not sure, but the problem's the sure-hit releases rather than the niche stuff; it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a lot more than 10,000 P4s in play, for example, and getting them all back at once would be painful.
And it's precisely because they're sure-hit mass-market eye-catchers that they become useless when a major retail partner disappears; they're on the shelf because someone will eventually buy them, but it's a far worse sales proposition to the retailer when they're explicitly ordering shelf-cloggers than when they bet high to be safe, and it's a far worse margin for you when you need to open up and sort through returns and then ship them out piecemeal rather than just tell your replicator to add another box to Best Buy's pallet.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 56

Squala :(

Of course they have to give him development right before killing him off. You're one brutal guy, Togashi.

Yorknew arc should be drawing to a close soon, at least the Spider portion of it. I'm sure they'll handle the finale just as well as the rest of the arc.

Cwarrior

I'm not discounting it though. I'm just saying the anime has not retained the same level of popularity as the games. It would be silly not to recognize the huge commercial value Evangelion has in the anime industry right now, which is why a new movie opening is a huge event in Japan. Could the popularity fade once Rebuild is finished and the hype is gone? Sure. But right now it's the hottest thing. That's all I'm saying.

The first Pokemon movie got a good release in the US theatrically and made a lot of money. It never happened again though. Each subsequent movie made less and less money. Meanwhile Rebuild is on a rise in Japan with each movie making much more than the previous one.

When 2.0 came out, One Piece and Pokemon movies still made more than it in Japan. But this time round, it looks like Eva 3.0 is going to outgross One Piece Z. But since they can't make an unlimited number of Evangelion movies, this obviously won't last. In 10 years, there might still be a One Piece movie in cinemas making 50-60 million domestically, or more, but there probably won't be an Eva movie.

That doesn't discount the fact that right now, Rebuild is bigger commercially than pretty much anything, even non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies.

Second pokemon movie made $133,949,270 @box office which is less but still a huge successes.

evangelion 2,0 made $41,023,004

I wouldn't be so sure about 3.0 making more money then one piece Film Z when strong world made more money then 2.0(as you said) and Film Z is intended to be a much bigger movie then strong world ever was, with a lot more money invested in it and the power of avril lavigne behind it.

One Piece Film: Strong World made $53,000,000 came out in the same year as eva 2.0.

I guess that makes one piece bigger then eva.

Uchip

Banned

Of course they have to give him development right before killing him off. You're one brutal guy, Togashi.

Yorknew arc should be drawing to a close soon, at least the Spider portion of it. I'm sure they'll handle the finale just as well as the rest of the arc.

lol
the head chop is how to censor with style

yami4ct

I didn't realize we were that close to finishing Yorkshin. Feels like its been ages since I read the manga, so it's all a bit blury. If so, yay! As much as I do love Yorkshin,
Greed Island
is my favorite manga arc so far. The
ant arc
may top it if done right and paced properly in the anime.

has there ever been a better time to be into shounen anime?
One Piece , HxH and Jojo are all pretty great right now

Hunter x Hunter being the most improved over the last few episodes

Well it is the season of shounen. There's a whopping 5 series watched regularly in this thread. Then you got stellar adaptations (at least now) like Hunter x Hunter, competent adaptations of stellar sources like Toriko, DTL shows like Fairy Tail, etc.

yami4ct

Oh man, just got to "Speak like a Child" in my Cowboy Bebop rewatch. So good. Dear other anime/TV shows in general. This is how you handle a slow build to a gradual reveal of backstory. Beautifully subtle.

Mandoric

Banned
Second pokemon movie made $133,949,270 @box office which is less but still a huge successes.

You're still missing the point; Eva is a significant success even with a lower gross because the Eva movies are
a) Entirely internal to the animation industry
b) The film release is the advertisement for monetizing home video and merch releases, whereas for Pokemon or One Piece the film release is monetizing after advertisement by TV.

No one's arguing that it's a whale. But it's a big fish in a small pond, rather than a whale in the ocean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm honestly not sure, but the problem's the sure-hit releases rather than the niche stuff; it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a lot more than 10,000 P4s in play, for example, and getting them all back at once would be painful.
And it's precisely because they're sure-hit mass-market eye-catchers that they become useless when a major retail partner disappears; they're on the shelf because someone will eventually buy them, but it's a far worse sales proposition to the retailer when they're explicitly ordering shelf-cloggers than when they bet high to be safe, and it's a far worse margin for you when you need to open up and sort through returns and then ship them out piecemeal rather than just tell your replicator to add another box to Best Buy's pallet.

God, that just makes packaged goods sound so stupid. I hope these companies are being conservative on that front. I'mt sure there's a balance between printing enough just in case something hits big and not so much that you're totally fucked on the retailer front.

Maybe the inevitable future for this stuff is super boutique, print on demand special orders while the mainstream business goes to streaming and not having any physical products whatsoever.

(At which point, why have separate licensors at all? Maybe CR or someone will just own all the English language streaming).

Uchip

Banned
Well it is the season of shounen. There's a whopping 5 series watched regularly in this thread. Then you got stellar adaptations (at least now) like Hunter x Hunter, competent adaptations of stellar sources like Toriko, DTL shows like Fairy Tail, etc.

so Toriko is worth watching, then? didnt really take to Fairy Tail

Same animation director for Z as Strong world, so it's should end up looking a lot like it.

excellent
they work really well with the one piece style

wonzo

Banned
The show is all about the derp faces for you now, isn't it?
I can't help it that the team working on this show can't draw decent faces/people/anything!

Also, these 2 minute recaps are just ridiculous at this point. It just feels like these arcs aren't meant to be divided into 22 minute chunks. :/
Yeah, that is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Hmm... seem like they've announced a new anime project for Rozen Maiden.
Hmm, is this series actually worth checking out?

duckroll

I wouldn't be so sure about 3.0 making more money then one piece Film Z when strong world made more money then 2.0(as you said) and Film Z is intended to be a much bigger movie then strong world ever was, with a lot more money invested in it and the power of avril lavigne behind it.

One Piece Film: Strong World made $53,000,000 came out in the same year as eva 2.0.

No question that One Piece Strong World was bigger than Eva 2.0 in the cinemas, but you should look at the number of screens Eva 2.0 was shown at compared to One Piece Strong World. Also take into consideration the home video release. One Piece is a HUGE franchise, and no one is disputing it.

As for Film Z outgrossing Eva 3.0, let's wait and see. Eva 3.0 is the first real major wide opening for Rebuild with over 200 screens nationwide. The release is essentially double what Eva 2.0's release was (which was in turn double what 1.0's release was). We can have this discussion again in Jan next year. :)

Mandoric

Banned
God, that just makes packaged goods sound so stupid. I hope these companies are being conservative on that front. I'mt sure there's a balance between printing enough just in case something hits big and not so much that you're totally fucked on the retailer front.

Maybe the inevitable future for this stuff is super boutique, print on demand special orders while the mainstream business goes to streaming and not having any physical products whatsoever.

(At which point, why have separate licensors at all? Maybe CR or someone will just own all the English language streaming).

Print-on-demand is terribly expensive for discs, and still doesn't help the fact that a case on a shelf can be the best advertising.
I don't expect centralization of streaming, but I do expect streaming in general to provide a new and more centralized/reasonably mass-market way to put titles in front of enough eyes where this ceases to be the case and provide revenue streams apart from having to cover retail everywhere.
This can dovetail well with sharing most authoring/physical production costs with Japan, and making physical product for the nichier series something that pops up in the occasional boutique rather than having to saturate American retail with it.

Cwarrior

No question that One Piece Strong World was bigger than Eva 2.0 in the cinemas, but you should look at the number of screens Eva 2.0 was shown at compared to One Piece Strong World. Also take into consideration the home video release. One Piece is a HUGE franchise, and no one is disputing it.

As for Film Z outgrossing Eva 3.0, let's wait and see. Eva 3.0 is the first real major wide opening for Rebuild with over 200 screens nationwide. The release is essentially double what Eva 2.0's release was (which was in turn double what 1.0's release was). We can have this discussion again in Jan next year. :)

Your on, January it is :)

hmm.. I wonder, if toei are smart enough they should releases the new Dragon ball z movie world wide same day and get usher to do a few tracks,it would be huge hit world wide am sure tons of people out there still want to see dudes power up & blow shit up.

trejo

Your on, January it is :)

hmm.. I wonder, if toei are smart enough they should releases the new Dragon ball z movie world wide same day and get usher to do a few tracks,it would be huge hit world wide am sure tons of people out there still want to see dudes power up & blow shit up.

Usher? Surely you meant to say Soulja boy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't help it that the team working on this show can't draw decent faces/people/anything!
Derp-faces is your new CG, isn't it? lol

Print-on-demand is terribly expensive for discs, and still doesn't help the fact that a case on a shelf can be the best advertising.
I don't expect centralization of streaming, but I do expect streaming in general to provide a new and more centralized/reasonably mass-market way to put titles in front of enough eyes where this ceases to be the case and provide revenue streams apart from having to cover retail everywhere.
This can dovetail well with sharing most authoring/physical production costs with Japan, and making physical product for the nichier series something that pops up in the occasional boutique rather than having to saturate American retail with it.
I know there are still people who have to go into a store to buy stuff, but at some point they need to let that go. As you said, being stuck with stock from a bankrupt Best Buy is just going to fuck you over in the long run.

I do wonder why more companies in Japan aren't just doing the Aniplex thing but taking it to the next level. They already stream anime in Japan on nico or wherever anyway, so there's no reason why it can't all just come from the same place. Maybe some company can just buy CR and integrate it with their production process.

I know that anime retail is basically dead in Canada, for what that's worth. Funimation is the only presence left at retail but even then, the shelves are pretty fucking bare here.

Actually, I do remember the Rightstuf guy saying that DVD PoD is more expensive than just doing a small DVD pressing... but maybe for BDs, it could be a different story. Better than having 400 dollar copies of Fate/Zero lying around that no one is willing to buy anyway.

Narag

It looks fine for the most part, but in my opinion does not compare to more recent anime like Guilty Crown in terms of character & mechanical animation.

I reached into a bag of bread the other day without looking, not realizng it was an old bag I had missed tossing out. I cringed upon feeling how moist it was and couldn't believe the amount of mold in the package itself. The entire encounter left me feeling ill.

Being reminded of that comment is a similar experience. :(

CorvoSol

There are many hints at the fact that this movie series may be just
a part of a cycle created by Shinji's actions in EoE
. While this may be something that will remain as hints in the background or will play an integral part going forward remains to be seen. I hope it's true because it's just insane enough to be super awesome.

I'm beginning to subscribe to this line of thinking, too. Question, though. Is Mari supposed to be the
sixth child?
because She can't be anything before that. And it's a shame we never get to see
Eva 04

And does this mean there'll be no MPE this time around?

I'm half-an-hour into 2.22, but I need to sleep.

Bleach 280

You can just hear Laura Bailey screaming in this episode.

I lost count at how many fights they were giving like 4 minutes to for this episode. Of course, this means the action varied from lots of talking to pretty cool stuff happening.

Grzi

One Piece Film Z trailer!

Looks awesome and possibly semi-canon, moreso than Strong World. I see Aokiji and Kizaru, so there's potential there for some nice animated fights.

Seriously though, why Avril Lavigne?

Yeah, this looks awesome.

really? the trailers didn't make that apparent
this is really hype news if true

I really should rewatch Strong World, I remember it being underwhelming considering all the hype surrounding it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I reached into a bag of bread the other day without looking, not realizng it was an old bag I had missed tossing out. I cringed upon feeling how moist it was and couldn't believe the amount of mold in the package itself. The entire encounter left me feeling ill.

Being reminded of that comment is a similar experience. :(
Eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I didn't need to read that.

Grzi

Saint Seiya Omega - 32

ma6hK.png

A decent episode, I like the variety they gave to these battles.
Most of the music playing during the second half of the episode was really great.

wonzo

Banned
CØDE:BREAKER 7

So let me get this straight...
Sakura, the one who constantly preaches about how doing bad things is wrong is the fucking daughter of the boss of Japan's strongest Yakuza clan???????
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Honestly, I just don't know whether that or the
kidnapping of the Prime Minister
is the more ridiculous of the two. This show never ceases to amaze.

codebreaker7b.jpg

Dresden

CØDE:BREAKER 7

So let me get this straight...
Sakura, the one who constantly preaches about how doing bad things is wrong is the fucking daughter of the boss of Japan's strongest Yakuza clan???????
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Honestly, I just don't know whether that or the
kidnapping of the Prime Minister
is the more ridiculous of the two. This show never ceases to amaze.

She's Raku.

Well One Piece is rather easily the biggest manga/anime brand at the moment in japan so no wonder. Manga selling more than rest of top ten combined and merchandise having its own section even in normal stores. It was everywhere when I visited Japan last year.

I feel like the amount of SAO posts every saturday decreases every week. This makes me sad....

Well yeah, right now pretty much the only ones still watching are those that enjoy the show, and those that have been vocally against the show have all stopped caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom