• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

sakurasou - 02

So while the Winner is doing the anime equivalent of popping out three kids while holding hands in the backseat of a car, the Loser can't even bear the thought of doing something similar. Clear proof that it's all in the mind.

Ptk0dl.jpg

Seriously this shit ain't even fair, yo. One million hits on Google!!!!

Sorry to drag this thread down. I can make really stupid impulsive posts. I had hoped that stopping watching currently airing anime and focusing on backcatalog stuff would help to stave off the gradually growing gnawing feeling of despair. But I haven't been able to avoid seeing impressions that imply that even what I was most looking forward to and enjoying at the beginning of this season such as From the New World and My Little Monster have apparently all turned to shit, and I lose the motivation to have anything to do with this medium. All I can think of is flying to Japan and slitting the throats of Masashi Ishihama and all the idiotic incompetents like him and burning down all their studios who can't seem to make anything but garbage. Perhaps that's just the state of things these days... nothing exists anymore but garbage.

Anyway, this'll be the last post in which I burden this thread with my personal trash. I just look out at the world right now and all I see is blackness. I'll just vanish into that...

I know I'm late here, but I hope with some time to step back a bit and take a break you will feel better. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and insights and hope that you will be back soon.

Hey, dudes, just a heads up - the next OT is going to need updated impressions for each show and if you want to say something about it so I don't have to pretend I watched all forty shows, just send a pm my way with your thoughts on it (in some concise format preferably, no nudity) with the title of the show. It looks like this thread will come to a close by the weekend.

---

joshiraku - 06

This episode.

This show.
WTF is this lol. I tried to find this show a while back, but maybe they use an English name or something. This scene is just crazy.

Defuser

Btw how can Asuna be called perfect waifu when she's been groped, shown nude, groped by a villain and now some tentacle action?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Btw how can Asuna be called perfect waifu when she's been groped, shown nude, groped by a villain and now some tentacle action?
It's okay cause she's been a victim and that lets Kirito be Jesus Christ superstar.

Waifus aren't really about the characters themselves, but what the audience can imagine themselves as.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Not anime, but I just watched the first episode of Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger. Oh god this show. This is the funniest shit. :lol I'd recommend it even if you aren't a Sentai fan.

Jex

[Letter to Momo]

Hiroyuki Okiura really likes shots of people's eyes.

While this film is good, it certainly wasn't worth 7 years of production time. As with Steamboy and Redline all that time has led to a visually arresting film the likes of which one doesn't witness, but you have to wonder if the creators got too close to their creation and could no longer see the flaws.

BluWacky

[Letter to Momo]

While this film is good, it certainly wasn't worth 7 years of production time. As with Steamboy and Redline all that time has led to a visually arresting film the likes of which one doesn't witness, but you have to wonder if the creators got too close to their creation and could no longer see the flaws.

I'm not sure if I think that's a fair comparison, mostly because I think Momo is significantly better than either of those films (and nowhere near as visually arresting, either). Do you think Momo's main flaws are in its narrative or its visuals?

By
defeating all the Secrets instead of allowing Renton to destroy the first Scub, Ao chooses Naru's path. If Truth was trying to stop her from "leading him astray" he failed completely.
I will elaborate.

Ao rejects
Truth's search for "the truth". In fact, Truth wasn't searching for the Truth at all; just a return to a different past that even he doesn't see as ideal (his points of reference in the episode are the Cold War and the Manhattan Project). His way of thinking is exposed as the childish, pathetic dream it always was. Ao decides instead to choose his own destiny for the world. Which happens to be the one that Naru also wanted.
Don't take this as a defense of Naru either, because I hate her development more than any other character in that show. That's just how things are.

But then what would Ao be referring to in that line, when they first entered the world with Truth as his archetype. Truth seemed to be searching for it or at least the idea that captured it and Ao has been led by that concept for several episodes too.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ikuhara was trying to tell you something with Utena 33, but you weren't ready to hear it.

I've been trying my best to wipe that episode from my memory.

I'm thankful that the show at least had a character like Juri. She was amazing in every way. If only her and Utena had gotten involved instead of
that douchebag sister fucking Akio
this show would've easily been my #1.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Utena 33 spoilers
I've been trying my best to wipe that episode from my memory.

I'm thankful that the show at least had a character like Juri. She was amazing in every way. If only her and Utena had gotten involved instead of
that douchebag sister fucking Akio
this show would've easily been my #1.
It's just
sex, dude.

Jex

I'm not sure if I think that's a fair comparison, mostly because I think Momo is significantly better than either of those films (and nowhere near as visually arresting, either). Do you think Momo's main flaws are in its narrative or its visuals?

I don't think Momo has any main flaws, unless you count being kind of predictable as a flaw (and I don't). I simply compare it to those two other works because it was clearly a passion product that a director and team strived to complete no matter how long it took them.

I'll have some more pointed criticism ready shortly.

I wasn't aware that it was okay to openly discuss stuff like that without spoiler tags. That and stuff like the punching gif from My Little Monster some pages back make this place real unique when it comes to spoilers.

I love coming here, but the culture feels really different from the rest of GAF in that sense. Makes it like a fun minefield of sorts.

Edit: Also, I think I stopped watching around episode 19 so I could blast through the final episodes. :p

Defuser

I wasn't aware that it was okay to openly discuss stuff like that without spoiler tags. That and stuff like the punching gif from My Little Monster some pages back make this place real unique when it comes to spoilers.

I love coming here, but the culture feels really different from the rest of GAF in that sense.

Edit: Also, I think I stopped watching around episode 19 so I could blast through the final episodes. :p
Well it's a preview so there isn't any spoiler or shit got real in it. But that punching gif from Tonari no Kaibutsu kun crosses that line and ruin it for me.

BluWacky

I don't think Momo has any main flaws, unless you count being kind of predictable as a flaw (and I don't). I simply compare it to those two other works because it was clearly a passion product that a director and team strived to complete no matter how long it took them.

I'll have some more pointed criticism ready shortly.

Fair enough - I look forward to your articulate criticism as always :)

Well it's a preview so there isn't any spoiler or shit got real in it. But that punching gif from Tonari no Kaibutsu kun crosses that line and ruin it for me.

But this brings us back to what we were talking about at the weekend. We have a very strict policy on written spoilers that you can't spoil anything from anything, but it's very difficult to make rules on what constitutes a visual spoiler. Images from previews will always spoil a show for someone who's not up to date in watching it.

rpmurphy

Patlabor: The Movie (Limited Edition) and Patlabor 2 - The Movie (Limited Collector's Edition) - Thanks again to Typographenia for pointing out the great deal on them

Nichijou Sugoroku board game

Greatest tote bag I will receive in my life

Pack-in "Nichijou" Playing Cards from Shonen Ace 2012 October Issue

Kyoto Animation's ParaPara Trump Nichijou Playing Cards
==================================================

The Patlabor boxes are great. As others have shared already, they're heavy-duty with storyboards and "archives" packaged in. The two feel great in the hand while holding "Moses and Ten Commandments" style.

The board game had a nice cover, but I'll probably never open it (since I can't read any type of Japanese).

As far as the cards go, the KyoAni pack TRUMPs
*snickers*
the monthly manga's pack. The paper used for the ParaPara cards are of a higher quality. They are all color. The art was made specifically for the pack by different staff from KyoAni. The names of which people are behind what process of the card designs is stated on the back of the box.

Meanwhile, only the royal suits were made exclusively for the Shonen Ace pack (which I'd guess were designed by Keiichi Arawi).

I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this import and I'm
Awesome. I really want that sugoroku game. Also the hanafuda cards that was in the DX set of the PSP game. >_>

Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts 7 - 9
tumblr_mdufh0af4Y1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I hope there are even more Akihisa and Yuji scenes, they never get old, then that one with Yuji only wearing the apron and cooking. Do feel bad for Kubo as he's just always left out while Yuji takes his Akihisa.

All three episodes were hilarious, and Eva/Geass references in episode 8. Funniest moment
Akihisa in 9 studying so intensely for getting a good grade on the midterm only to put Alexanger the great on the number line and then every answer on the test being off a space by one, How silly (though its always been a fear of mind in test taking, where I skip something to come back to later and then realize I never skipped and put the answers in the wrong bubble :/ but fixed in time

I hope second season has better OP and ED, I just cant get into either one here.

Ultimadrago

I still think you should frame the set!

Ha, perhaps I'll consider it. They do look neat lined up together like that!

Those are some awesome cards!

They really are! KyoAni does a really great job designing all of their series TRUMPs.

Not anime, but I just watched the first episode of Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger. Oh god this show. This is the funniest shit. :lol I'd recommend it even if you aren't a Sentai fan.

It's on my list.

Awesome. I really want that sugoroku game. Also the hanafuda cards that was in the DX set of the PSP game. >_>

Heh. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if I'll ever find out how to play it!

Whaa? I didn't know about those. Thanks for bringing it up.
--
Haha! Just noticed that I ended the post on "and I'm...".
I finally finished the sentence.

sonicmj1

But then what would Ao be referring to in that line, when they first entered the world with Truth as his archetype. Truth seemed to be searching for it or at least the idea that captured it and Ao has been led by that concept for several episodes too.

I thought Ao was laughing at the irony of it all.

Truth pretty explicitly says what he's seeking before he takes a Quartz Gun to the face. He claims the world is wrong, and his version of a "correct" world is one without Scub in it. In other words, the world we live in now. This is all in Johannsen's book. By the end of the series, he never gets his wish.

In the world of Episode 24, Truth exists only as an AI assisting a pilot. He has never sought any kind of truth, because he has a simple purpose, as expressed before the line you quote. "We Archetypes wish to help LFO pilots that need us." He's fine with this. This new world isn't wrong to Truth, but that's not to say he succeeded. He's satisfied now only because his previous incarnation's insistence that the old world was wrong was misguided. There's no "wrong" or "right" world.

I think you'll agree that the "friendship" he has with Ao at the end of the series is more important than whatever aim he held before, right? That's the point.

/XX/

I know i may not make any sense whatsoever but the fact remains that Hosana is correct on his assertainions. But Im saying that he has been sold a lie from the get go, from the word go.
So... without anything previous to say you just came here with that barrage of opinionated and inflammatory (while quite derivative) text using another person's own conflicts and moment of confusion to justify everything you said in there... utilizing the feelings of someone in such a way, isn't it?

O.K., O.K., I got it... that seems the way to go for you, I guess, but this is on a whole new level that I find difficult to tolerate.

It's much closer to a proto-TTGL than it ever is to FLCL.
I disagree. This is Mr. Tsurumaki through-and-through, and if FLCL was a love letter from him dedicated to Mr. Anno, Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster was a letter of love to all of GAiNAX (remember, 20th anniversary project), but the parallelisms it draws and the whole team still present on it make this in my opinion closer to a continuation of FLCL's OVA training project than to anything else.

That said, comparisons between an original OVA and its homage are futile, one doesn't works without the other anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom