• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
And why the hell people need to explain why they like in a consistent way? Some people just enjoy things without big reasons. They're not writers.

To me, Elfen Lied was an entry anime. It was the drive for me to actually like anime. If it wasn't it, I doubt I would even be posting here. I don't really care if the animation had bad drawings, no sakugas, 20 FPS, shitty story, characters whatever. I just... enjoyed it as my first, genuine anime.

If you can't articulate why you like something, then why should anyone else care what you think?

Maedhros

you guys are taking this far too personally

No man, I just understand that some people just can't really describe things they like in detailed ways.

These type of questions are subjective. There's no right answer. IF someone genuinely enjoyed the so called "shitty" anime, who am I to actually say that he's wrong?

Narag

In some cases, listening to animegaf is a bad idea. You should decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

Personally I think people shouldn't worry about "listening to animegaf" so much but still be open enough to try new things such that might learn which posters their tastes align with.

yami4ct

The other day, I was talking to some folks who were trying to convince me that I should watch that show. I refused based on all the evidence I've seen on GAF about it's 'quality', and they told me that I'm listening to the wrong people and that it's actually an amazing show that everyone needs to watch.
My friend who was just getting back into anime the same time is me really sold the show like 4 episodes in. I think he apologized like 3 episodes later.

The tentacle obviously represents the probing of our patriarchal society on strong females.
Asuna obviously represents the fact that both eastern and western media don't know what the hell a strong female character is.

cajunator

Banned
There's no one reason why it's bad. It's a toxic combination of bad writing, exploitive characterization and visuals, and more faux-depth than you can shake an invisible arm at.

I stand by my statement that if you ask the majority of Elfen Lied fans to explain why the show is good they will be unable to do so in a coherent and consistent way.

Why does it have to be good for people to enjoy it? Enjoyment is a feeling, and mainly subjective. Oftentimes I cannot even explain why I like something in particular, I just do.
In Elfen Lied's case I enjoyed the way it portrayed a bunch of girls as horrible monsters, but they still had a bit of humanity to them. It was interesting to see how they reacted when someone was actually trying to be kind to them despite how they were seemingly programmed to hate humanity. It was unevenly paced, poorly written, and definitely tried at times to cater to various fanservice, but the series struck a chord with me, and it was a positive one. Ive seen other anime where characters pee themselves, so that wasnt an issue to me. I thought it was silly, myself, but I just saw it as Nyuu being like a child or a lost dog and unable to fully control what she was doing. It was actually fascinating to see what was such a powerful and dominant character a short time before becoming this completely helpless and even cute girl. It was even more interesting when nana showed up and she wasnt even able to bring herself to kill anything, despite what she was. and then the other girl showed up and she was completely ruthless, but looked the youngest and most harmless of all, but was by far the most dangerous.
I also have to say I really enjoyed seeing that
complete asshole mercenary guy and what Lucy eventually did to him
. So satisfying.

Personally I think people shouldn't worry about "listening to animegaf" so much but still be open enough to try new things such that might learn which posters their tastes align with.

I agree. I think the problem with any anime community (or anime fans in general really) is hyperbole. Highlighting things you like or don't like, making a bigger deal out of them than they really are, etc. It's the kind of stuff that can drastically alter someone else's perception of a series, or outright misrepresent it for them.

Maedhros

Lol, sorry, but this cracks me up. Nothing to do with Elfen Lied though. In most cases, anime might as well be 12 FPS anyway.

That was just a random number, don't mind.

Actually, anime "critics" are usually pretty similar to the 60FPS guys on Gaming-GAF side. Really annoying...

Theonik

I don't even remember how much of Elfen Lied I watched before I dropped it but it must have been enough seeing as I recognise all the things mentioned in this discussion.
Show's pretty bad and commonly cited as good by people who don't know any better.

Narag

Actually, anime "critics" are usually pretty similar to the 60FPS guys on Gaming-GAF side. Really annoying...

There's no harm in wanting a product to be better, whether it's a game or some anime. People generally take offense at the notion of such things as an assault on their personal tastes rather than a proper criticism.

Narag

I agree. I think the problem with any anime community (or anime fans in general really) is hyperbole. Highlighting things you like or don't like, making a bigger deal out of them than they really are, etc. It's the kind of stuff that can drastically alter someone else's perception of a series, or outright misrepresent it for them.

It's not just anime fans.

Maedhros

there I just "articulated" why I enjoyed the series Elfen Lied.

I liked the contrast between cute girls and fucking gross/gore things. Really, this contrast was really great. Actually, I'm looking for shows like it (with this contrast between gore/cute), do you have some recomendations?

cajunator

Banned
There's no harm in wanting a product to be better, whether it's a game or some anime. People generally take offense at the notion of such things as an assault on their personal tastes rather than a proper criticism.

No harm in criticism at all. Its healthy discussion. It becomes a problem when you get shit like this:
I don't even remember how much of Elfen Lied I watched before I dropped it but it must have been enough seeing as I recognise all the things mentioned in this discussion.
Show's pretty bad and commonly cited as good by people who don't know any better.

This is when it becomes insulting. Not merely criticizing the show, but criticizing THE PEOPLE WHO ENJOY IT. Thats what the fuck I am talking about.

It's not just anime fans.

Internet in general I guess. Though really, it's unavoidable. I'm sure plenty of people buy into love/hate of something they would have otherwise disliked/enjoyed. In the case of the latter, it's an interesting thought that people would never experience something that for all they know could be end up being a favorite of their's.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The extremes to which the Persona 4 characters are defined by their one joke (which is most likely ripped off of Hiimdaisy's comics) in P4A are kinda annoying.

I promise that this is the last time I go off topic with P4 discussion, but you'll find it relevant to this conversation that I just capped this in P4G a couple of days ago:

Kuzku.jpg

yeah...

OceanBlue

I liked the contrast between cute girls and fucking gross/gore things. Really, this contrast was really great. Actually, I'm looking for shows like it (with this contrast between gore/cute), do you have some recomendations?

Maybe Narutaru? I haven't watched it so I can't attest to its quality. I just see it recommended every so often and your question reminded me of that.

I promise that this is the last time I go off topic with P4 discussion, but you'll find it relevant to this conversation that I just capped this in P4G a couple of days ago:

yeah...

Goddammit.

This is when it becomes insulting. Not merely criticizing the show, but criticizing THE PEOPLE WHO ENJOY IT. Thats what the fuck I am talking about.

Yeah, that's completely fair. Criticizing points is fine, but when it goes over board and becomes an attack against a person that's too much. There should be a line in there somewhere.

Narag

Internet in general I guess. Though really, it's unavoidable. I'm sure plenty of people buy into love/hate of something they would have otherwise disliked/enjoyed. In the case of the latter, it's an interesting thought that people would never experience something that for all they know could be end up being a favorite of their's.

That's on them regardless. If they can't investigate past what random person says about a property, their loss.

yami4ct

I would probably live with this if the nineties OVA series didn't exist. It's gonna be real weird if David Production ever gets around animating that arc.

I almost wouldn't mind them skipping part 3 and going right to part 4. Either way, as long as they can keep it going, I don't really care if a better version exists. More JoJo is always a good thing.

I can't roll my eyes back any further.

But......but.....I actually found that line funny. Still, I picked the "It's short for Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak" option, which was way funnier.

That's on them regardless. If they can't investigate past what random person says about a property, their loss.

I think there's certainly a difference between buying into 'hype'/'antihype' and passing on something, or actually reading what people say and deciding something is not for you. Most people don't have time to check out everything, so if you see a lot of people criticizing something (and the criticisms seem valid), I think it's fair to go, 'well, maybe this isn't worth my time'.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
ok, so reading back on the last two pages, I can only say: what?

HAHAHAHA

Tomat's 'Sony Ponies' line is in a stickied post by Evilore.

oh god this means it's perma isn't it

FUCK

FUCK WHY TOMAT IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY TOMAT NO BAKA

:(

yami4ct

ok, so reading back on the last two pages, I can only say: what?

oh god this means it's perma isn't it

FUCK

FUCK WHY TOMAT IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY TOMAT NO BAKA

:(

He couldn't get a permaban for such innocuous trolling, could he? I hope not. I may disagree with him on occasion, but I'll miss him the same.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe Narutaru? I haven't watched it so I can't attest to its quality. I just see it recommended every so often and your question reminded me of that.

Goddammit.

Narutaru could be a possibility. Certainly starts out cute and gets REALLY fucked up later.
I honestly cant think of many shows that do that other than higurashi though.
Most fucked up shows dont hide under a facade of cute.
Narutaru has one scene where
a girl fucking her BF gets a claw in her vagina and then ripped in half
. Yeah its that kind of show.

Narag

I think there's certainly a difference between buying into 'hype'/'antihype' and passing on something, or actually reading what people say and deciding something is not for you. Most people don't have time to check out everything, so if you see a lot of people criticizing something (and the criticisms seem valid), I think it's fair to go, 'well, maybe this isn't worth my time'.

At that point, I'd hope one would be taking the opinion of someone they trust though so they could feel confident about the decision.

yami4ct

At that point, I'd hope one would be taking the opinion of someone they trust though so they could feel confident about the decision.

At this point I watch about anything that AnimeGaf likes or DTL dislikes. It's worked out well thus far.

Sorry, DTL, you're great. I just don't agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom