• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hardcore SMT people have given up on shitting on Persona fans. They're far outnumbered. The problem is the hardcore persona 'shippers. The arguments over canon relationships are worse than any thread on any anime board. It's part of what makes a huge aspect of that community suck.

Kanji x Naoto is the OTP so what's there to even say?

shipping warz universally suck regardless of fandom

Branduil

That's what I mean by divisive. It's got its haters and its defenders.

That's true of any show, let's not be reductionistic. The majority of people who like Elfen Lied do not know how to critically evaluate a show.

Case in point:

Elfen Lied is something else. Just watching the first 10 minutes of the first episode and one can understand that this is not your typical anime. A series modeled, in many ways, after the tragedies of Shakespeare and Ancient Greece, Elfen Lied is not something that you want to enjoy a sunny day with. The seemingly grotuetist violence and nudity may put some people off of this series, but I have to say that the story would not have the same impact without it.

Story: 10 - Elfen Lied boasts one of the most intense and intriguing plot lines that I have ever experienced in anime. It must be known that the central themes to Elfen Lied are hate, anger, and inhumanity. Every darkness of the human soul is represented in this 13 episode series.

Animation: 8 - Not much to say here. The animation is very good, but nothing really stands out. I do really like the opening that shows a style adapted from the famous Austrian painter Gustav Klimt

Sound: 10 - The music really sets the tone for the series. I love the opening song "Lilium" by Kumiko Noma.

Character: 9 - Elfen Lied has the best in depth characters i've seen since Neon Genesis Evangelion. The characters are real, with both light and darkness in their souls. Unlike most anime, the distinction between good and evil is not so clear. Can Lucy/Nyu be considered a good character when she has the capacity to harm so many?

Enjoyment: 10 - This rating is the most subjective of all. I enjoyed the series, especially because I enjoy both dark and lighter anime series.

Overall: 10 - You just can't find many anime series that took the risk that Elfen Lied did. Sure you can watch Tenchi, Love Hina, or even Ranma 1/2 and get the same decently good anime over and over again. Elfen Lied, is something that just doesn't come around that often.

yami4ct

It was a silly trolling post making fun of xbox and sony fans. He posted in some thread about the Steam version of something far outselling the console versions.
It was pretty dumb all around and not a thread worth getting banned in.

To be fair, there are very few threads worth getting banned in. There may be a few worth getting banned for. I'd defend the JoJo thread to the death if Gaf came hunting AnimeGafers.

yami4ct

That's true of any show, let's not be reductionistic. The majority of people who like Elfen Lied do not know how to critically evaluate a show.

Case in point:

Oh the days of being young and confusing allegory and depth. I blame it on american english classes. I feel we've all had those moments.

This:

Before Evilore revised history.

He had to know. He had to. No reason to post that if you don't know you're suiciding your account.

Media-Create threads would be way smaller without all the Vita jokes.

Post 1: Media Create/Famitsu numbers
Post 2: Dengeki numbers
Post 3: Link to the new thread

Hardcore SMT people have given up on shitting on Persona fans. They're far outnumbered. The problem is the hardcore persona 'shippers. The arguments over canon relationships are worse than any thread on any anime board. It's part of what makes a huge aspect of that community suck.

Shipping wars are obnoxious in any fandom. I get shipping, but I hate it when people get really over the top about it. It's just not worth it. GAF, mercifully, is pretty good on that front.

Case in point:

What are you criticizing in that review? Grammar?

Maybe a bit more extreme than if I were to review it, but I see nothing wrong with that opinion. It is a tragedy, it does display the cruelty of mankind, and it does have grey characters.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Envelope asked which was the One Piece arc with the most consistent animation. Spa Island is the answer.

What the hell is up with that? Haha. That was awesome.

yami4ct

Shipping wars are obnoxious in any fandom. I get shipping, but I hate it when people get really over the top about it. It's just not worth it. GAF, mercifully, is pretty good on that front.

I know, right? I mean, do I like Yukiko and pair my MC with her the past couple times I've played P4? Yes. Do I give two shits who someone else picks or if someone doesn't like Yukiko? No.

yami4ct

You don't see a problem with comparing the show to Shakespeare, or saying the characters are real?

I don't have a problem with comparing schlocky things to Shakespeare. What I do have a problem with is people thinking that just because a show takes inspiration from his work, that somehow makes it deep.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I know, right? I mean, do I like Yukiko and pair my MC with her the past couple times I've played P4? Yes. Do I give two shits who someone else picks or if someone doesn't like Yukiko? No.

The whole idea of seriously arguing for certain pairings being canon in a game in which the outcome of any romantic relationship is the direct result of choices made by the player is dumbfoundingly absurd. Do they also post Persona-related tumblr gifs and rage comics?

Yusuke x Akihiko, Yu x Minato, otps forever.

Chie x steak

Lain

From The New World 9

Reminds me why I prefer to watch series after they have finished airing. At least the direction was nice enough for this one.

You don't see a problem with comparing the show to Shakespeare, or saying the characters are real?

Well yeah, because Shakespeare is boring, but other than that not really. I mean yes, there are a few instances of the idiot ball being passed around, but other than that I thought the character actions (and their afflictions) were believable. Kouta displays a standard case of Lacunar amnesia and even acts as such when
confronted by Lucy
at the end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't have a problem with comparing schlocky things to Shakespeare. What I do have a problem with is people thinking that just because a show takes inspiration from his work, that somehow makes it deep.
Like saying Haiyore Nyaruko-san is as dark and literary enriching as the Lovecraft mythos its characters are ostensibly based from.

Branduil

Well yeah, because Shakespeare is boring, but other than that not really. I mean yes, there are a few instances of the idiot ball being passed around, but other than that I thought the character actions (and their afflictions) were believable. Kouta displays a standard case of Lacunar amnesia and even acts as such when
confronted by Lucy
at the end.

A character who goes from murderous psychopath to infantile moe blob when hit on the head is believable?

A character who goes from murderous psychopath to infantile moe blob when hit on the head is believable?

Dissociative Identity Disorder. It's not believable because it isn't actually considered a real disorder anymore, but there's nothing wrong with how it's portrayed there. It's just a Jekly and Hyde story in a different setting.

yami4ct

She's worse than moe. Moe isn't outright offensive in and of itself. She's a girl with the mind of a 5 year old being fetishized left and right. Oh man, I said I wouldn't rant.

Branduil

Dissociative Identity Disorder. It's not believable because it isn't actually considered a real disorder anymore, but there's nothing wrong with how it's portrayed there. It's just a Jekly and Hyde story in a different setting.

If Dr. Jekyll was a mentally impaired girl who liked to walk around naked and piss herself.

Uchip

Banned

its nothing like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde
its a cartoony plot device that contrasts massively with the super serious tone of the rest of the anime

and now ive noticed that I drew a red haired non human character also named Lucy and I want to start over :S

She's worse than moe. Moe isn't outright offensive in and of itself. She's a girl with the mind of a 5 year old being fetishized left and right. Oh man, I said I wouldn't rant.

She really isn't being fetishized though. Yuka is fetshized. Nyu just has the mind of a baby, so of course she's going to act the way she does.

yami4ct

confronted by Lucy
at the end.

This made me sad. Julius Caesar was one of my favorite readings in high school and is a joy to see performed live. Same with a lot of other Shakespeare works.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On a tangential note to this, apparently someone figured out that the movie Rikka was watching in Chuunibyou episode 8 was Romeo + Juliet.
Oh wow, that makes sense. You can see anime "Clare Danes" with her angel wings in the scene.

It's also such a mindfuck because of where she is now on Homeland. lol

Shakespeare is about as far from boring as you can get.

Even 400 years later, his dialogue remains among the very best, and there's a reason that Shakespeare's works have endured when most of his contemporaries have been forgotten.

OceanBlue

So is it offensive because she's being fetishized? Is it because she's being fetishized and she has the mind of a 5 year old?

yami4ct

Reminds me of Kirito x Sandwich-kun.

Though I guess Ive not reached the point in the game where she shows her love of steak?

She does it like twice in the beginning of the game. It's one of the most overblown jokes in the Persona community. It's not the defining piece of her character.

So is it offensive because she's being fetishized? Is it because she's being fetishized and she has the mind of a 5 year old?

In all honesty, both. I mean, I still find the fact that the Major in GitS:SAC is forced to dress the way she does and most every anime has loads of fanservice to be offensive and juvenile. I just get extra offended because of her mental issues in that show.

Uchip

Banned
There's nothing wrong with tone shifts. This is anime, plenty of stuff has it. Even Animegaf favorite, Gintama.

its not just a tone shift
her facial anatomy actually physically changes
its just frustratingly out of place

And why does she have the mind of a baby...

as someone thats experienced troubles due to head injury, I can tell you that it most certainly did not make me revert into a juvenile state

Because that can happen when someone has brain damage from a sharp impact.

There's nothing wrong with the plot device itself. If you want to complain about something, complain about the .50 caliber only knocking her helmet off. Even if that was a really fuckin strong futuristic helmet, it wouldn't be enough to cause brain damage.

yami4ct

Shakespeare is about as far from boring as you can get.

Even 400 years later, his dialogue remains among the very best, and there's a reason that Shakespeare's works have endured when most of his contemporaries have been forgotten.

I think a lot of problems people have with Shakespeare is that they see his worst work in the worst way in high school. You have to read the play, which is not the optimal way to go, or see a shitty film adaptation. It also tends to be stuff like Romeo and Juliet, which while good, is one of his lesser works IMO. Nothing beats a good, live performance of Shakespeare.

OceanBlue

She does it like twice in the beginning of the game. It's one of the most overblown jokes in the Persona community. It's not the defining piece of her character.

The extremes to which the Persona 4 characters are defined by their one joke (which is most likely ripped off of Hiimdaisy's comics) in P4A are kinda annoying.

cajunator

Banned

Not the first time thats happened. See also Nana 6/17 and Mahoraba Heartful Days.
Its been explored before.
Also people with brain damage can be reduced to a very simplistic state as if they are a baby.
It is not out of the question for a badly damaged brain to revert back to that level of development.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think a lot of problems people have with Shakespeare is that they see his worst work in the worst way in high school. You have to read the play, which is not the optimal way to go, or see a shitty film adaptation. It also tends to be stuff like Rome and Juliet, which while good, is one of his lesser works IMO. Nothing beats a good, live performance of Shakespeare.
The Henry IV trilogy is basically a shounen power up story.

Novid

Banned
I got banned on gaming side over Dragon Quest 9...

that being said to explain cajins point from a few hours ago...

here is the one major problem with the business - and it stems from the issue with how advertising works. The sad truth about the adversting buisness is that outside of the Sports events and the Olympics etc - its a race to the damn bottom. The crux is that they dont want to be "connected" to super nerdy stuff - but what i have seen is a sort of cutting the hand to spite ones face when marketing to "hipsters" (which is a over glorifed "nerd") so ad-men would want to support Apple because its has style. The same idea should work for anime.

But the problem comes back to degrees. how am i gonna sell this when i can find some tweeny bopper show for the same price and get 10 times the profit?

The answer is simple. You follow the trends the mainstream wants and you try and find anime to match it and make it stick to a brand.

But when it comes to smaller anime - less than 20 episodes - it needs to be branded in this country period. As much as TV gaf will say "the TV business will change blah, blah blah" it isnt moving to the net because of the internets cred problem. Nobody fucking belives anybody on the net - so how the fuck we gonna believe anything on Hulu...So Crunchyroll will only make what it will ever make. Same with Sentai. Same with Funi. But if we had 3 or 4 anime blocks with its own branding, promotion and brocast production alongside the North American series - the ad men will come back - not in the same way but it will help offset costs.

There is also a audiance and perspction problem and this can be soved by actually doing reseach into other audiances. The biggest joke in the history of this industry is that there is a huge amount of urban audiance for anime but Funi and the rest has continued to treat them the same way the GOP treated the rest of the country during the election. Cant do that anymore because demographics are changing BIG TIME. And when the music industry in the US is using the same Japanese tropes that J-Pop and Anime share the dubbers are gonna get left out in the cold when they keep saying online, online, online.

So the first thing that needs to be done is that Funi and the rest need to make a choice. If they dont spend the money on quality control then its time to sell to a hollywood buyer or shut down, end of story.

if they are willing to spend on quality control - then they need to convince the Japanese that they need to see both ends of the story - they cant choose VAs because even though there is universal ideals - there isnt universal voices. They may have to actually have to get a music division because of how much money it cost for rights. They gonna have to actually talk to the ad men and have them be apart of the process of the dubbing. (Not marketers, advertising agents - big diffence) They need to sell the Blu-Ray's as box sets and for internet to act like the way the US does it. They need to stop being so guarded when it comes to the audiance - and create something they did for the Obama campain - im apart of the product but the product doesnt control your life. That sort of thing wins elections and its the sort of idea that could save the business from being forgotten.

yami4ct

The extremes to which the Persona 4 characters are defined by their one joke (which is most likely ripped off of Hiimdaisy's comics) in P4A is kinda annoying.

One of the worst parts of the game. I liked it, but taking Chie and Kanji back to one note really sucked. Even Yukiko got reduced to "she's self conscious about her cooking"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom