• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Calling her a Mary Sue implies negative things, so I wouldn't do that. But if we simply take it to mean "somone who is perfect/has no "bad" qualities" or something along those lines, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

It's pretty bad writing when the perfect waifu almost literally falls out of the sky right when Simon needs her.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
fair enough
Its still more bombastic (in a good way) than anything else in those 5 years

Granted, I probably should have said "minor cast" instead of "supporting cast" as I was more referring to characters that only have a few lines each over the course of the show than a more conventional "supporting character" who serves some kind of meaningful narrative purpose.

I guess "supporting" tier for Gurren would be Leeron, Viral, people like that.

"Minor" tier would be the characters like Gimmy, Darry, Makken, Attenborough, Jougan, Barimbo, Kiyal, Kinon, Kiyoh, etc. and they're all fairly memorable for how inconsequential most of them are.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think "person A finds item/person/etc B when he or she needs it" is necessarily bad writing.
Depends how it comes into their possession. Or if there is appropriate foreshadowing (most of the time). Usually finding just the right thing right when you need can take away a lot of the tension from a scene and potentially the larger story though.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's not necessarily, but it is in this case.

Obviously I disagree, but I think I can explain a little further. Coincidences like that are really common in more pulpy/adventurous fiction, like Indiana Jones or Pirates of the Caribbean, and TTGL certainly shows similarities to properties like those. It feels fitting for Simon and Kamina to get a power up out of nowhere right when they need it, or for simon's drill to always be just the size it needs to, or for Simon to always just the right person when he needs to.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
It's pretty bad writing when the perfect waifu almost literally falls out of the sky right when Simon needs her.

All heroes have amazing luck at the right moment, all other without luck died early without achieving anything, and no one write stories based on the "failures".

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hidamari Sketch x SP - 01

1Kq8j.png
GingT.png

yK13y.png
U6sW6.png

*Slowly scoots back over to the SaexHiro camp* MiyakoxYuno OTP service is great service.

Yuno twitching in the water had me in stitches. At least she can float now. Progress!

This show is just awesome. So many sweet moments.

wonzo

Banned
Sailor Moon 25

Goddamn, Makoto fucking owns.

No Magical Girl show wouldn't be complete without more plastic things to buy!

:sdburton

Just a query as a 'fan' of the original series, does the robot still try to feel up Yuki or have they excised that tasteless and illogical fanservice from the latest work?
I haven't seen the original series bit I certainly haven't noticed anything like that so far. The only "light-hearted" stuff in this series tends to be the stuff with The Doctor, The Nurse and the odd snide remark from Analyser.

Branduil

Obviously I disagree, but I think I can explain a little further. Coincidences like that are really common in more pulpy/adventurous fiction, like Indiana Jones or Pirates of the Caribbean, and TTGL certainly shows similarities to properties like those. It feels fitting for Simon and Kamina to get a power up out of nowhere right when they need it, or for simon's drill to always be just the size it needs to, or for Simon to always just the right person when he needs to.

All heroes have amazing luck at the right moment, all other without luck died early without achieving anything, and no one write stories based on the "failures".

You're missing the point. The fact that she's nothing but a walking plot device is exactly why she's a crap character.

Narag

I liked Nia, especially later on, but she's still far more plot device than character.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 25

Goddamn, Makoto fucking owns.

:sdburton

I haven't seen the original series bit I certainly haven't noticed anything like that so far. The only "light-hearted" stuff in this series tends to be the stuff with The Doctor, The Nurse and the odd snide remark from Analyser.

Damn you almost caught up to me.
I guess I should continue it.

Top "Recent" Acquisitions by the AnimeGAF Jewish Illuminati:

0. Nafe
1. Tomat
2. chickdigger
3. Joe Molotov
4/100. Porcelain Thrill
5. that bundle of self-loathing we know & love (?) as Maedhros
6. ...wait, what?
∞. Novid

Top 5 Posters Who Should Read Grant Morrison's Run On Doom Patrol Since They Want To Be Coerced and/or Listed But Only If They Can Stand Dirty English Because It's Like The Best Comic Ever:

1. Dresden
2. Dresden
3. Dresden
4. Trejo
5. Dresden

I don't get it. I don't like not getting why im on lists :X

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 25

I'm sure Hito will have more to say, but the majority of the items in Sailor Moon have a more complex history than simply "more plastic things to coerce money from little girls".

You're missing the point. The fact that she's nothing but a walking plot device is exactly why she's a crap character.

I don't think we can get any farther with this.

I liked Nia, especially later on, but she's still far more plot device than character.

I've said this before, but I think that's what makes it justified. Every contrivance surrounding her can be chalked up to
the anti-spiral's planning
, as can her personality in general. In a way, she's a deconstruction of a plot-device character considering how everything plays out.
When she has no more use, her reason for existing goes away, disappearing like non-living plot devices tend to.

duckroll

Some Little Witch Academia designs and image boards were shown at a media presentation today. This is Trigger's entry for the Young Animators Project for next year.

They also showed some illustration word done by the young animators who will be working on this project.

Narag

I've said this before, but I think that's what makes it justified. Every contrivance surrounding her can be chalked up to
, as can her personality in general. In a way, she's a deconstruction of a plot-device character considering how everything plays out.
When she has no more use, her reason for existing goes away, disappearing like non-living plot devices tend to.

I think it's simpler than that and they just needed an impetus to keep the series moving after Kamina's death. The abbreviated eras/arcs didn't really leave much time for her to be developed.

Branduil

You can't excuse contrived writing merely by baking it into the story.

cajunator

Banned
Some Little Witch Academia designs and image boards were shown at a media presentation today. This is Trigger's entry for the Young Animators Project for next year.

They also showed somme illustration word done by the young animators who will be working on this project.

This is going to be adorable and I will most assuredly watch it.

Uchip

Banned
When was the last time witches were represented as being scary magic people
you know, like they were originally
witch hunter robin?

Grzi

ANN Review of Campione! Episodes 7 - 13 is up.

Overall : B-
Story : C
Animation : B+
Art : B
Music : B

+ New enemies, new gods, and high-quality fight scenes make for a highly entertaining (and sometimes educational) second half of the series.
− Tries to intensify the romantic aspect, but only makes it worse with predictable scenarios and awkward moments.

Dog Days

Had I watched this show in 2011, it would easily have made my Top 5 last year. It was that good. It started out enjoyably cute and full of characters that had fluffy tails, but then turned into something unexpectedly awesome by the end. Someone commented on a different forum that this show starts off slow and then changes tracks midway through. Knowing that a second season did air did serve to dull the ending impact somewhat, but that didn't stop it from having a strong final several episodes.

I often find it disconcerting when a show saves all the ending material until the last episode and then rushes through it. I've seen far too many shows which fall victim to this and I don't know if it's just poor planning or what. Sometimes the show's ending is so bad that I'm not surprised they push it all to the last episode just because of how embarrassing they know it is. So it is rare when a show like Dog Days comes along and manages a surprise climax and still finds room for a fantastic ending and easily spreads the ending across 2 episodes without any problems even though it only had a 13 episode run.

The show had pretty serviceable animation most of the time though it also had some pretty derpy moments. Seven Arcs is known as the studio which animated the various seasons of Nanoha and so the fight scenes were quite enjoyable and if budget had to be sacrificed during non-fighting portions to give more attention to the many fights, then the studio made the right call. In general action was well-animated even as non-action was often still-framed. The character designs were all cute. Even the guys are cute. Even the guy voiced by Wakamoto was cute. Fortunately, they gave all the attention to the fluffy tails that they deserved, and they frequently wag vigorously and move with the proper momentum when their bearers are fighting or running or what have you.

I should give proper special mention to the voice work. For whatever reason, a massive number of notable voice actors lent their distinctive tones to this show. This show was so overstuffed with big names that people like Kana Hanazawa, Minako Kotobuki, and Norio Wakamoto were only able to fit in as relatively minor roles. The cast was led by Mamoru Miyano and Yui Horie and also featured Ayana Taketatsu and Yoko Hikasa reunited from K-ON in major roles. Nana Mizuki lent her voice to another major supporting character in addition to performing the OP, much to the chagrin of Ami Koshimizu who plays the main antagonist for most of the series. Yeah, this show's voice cast was hilariously stacked.

Ultimately, Dog Days actually worked out quite a bit better than anyone would have expected from it's derivative parts. The whole affair was a bit cheesy from start to finish but the combination of strong voice work, a surprisingly enjoyable story, a well-realized fictional world, and just enough pandering and fanservice but not too much combined to elevate the whole package to an unexpectedly high level. Fortunately, they were able to make a second season and not leave things hanging at the end.

Dog Days
Final Rating: 9 out of 10 Fluffy Tails

Fluffy Tail Ranking: (from Fluffiest to Just Fluffy)
Yukikaze
Brioche
Vert
Ricotta
Millhiore
Eclair

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you're referring to Madoka, those were more like apparitions
Im talking about ritualistic witchcraft
Well there's Bake and Nise off the top of my head. Although I know this isn't the answer you want.

I think it's simpler than that and they just needed an impetus to keep the series moving after Kamina's death. The abbreviated eras/arcs didn't really leave much time for her to be developed.

It's possible. They were at least able to justify it later when
explaining the Human Extermination System and connecting that back to Nia's reason for the series of events that lead to her survival during the war against Lordgenome.

Narag

It's possible. They were at least able to justify it later when
explaining the Human Extermination System and connecting that back to Nia's reason for the series of events that lead to her survival during the war against Lordgenome.

That's a case where a handwave and not looking back would have been better.

Branduil

Hyouka 1(rewatch)

iWCFvW1fpNanc.jpg

ip0kwfhGG8Q8o.jpg

EXPECTATIONS

I enjoyed this substantially more the second time around. It's interesting all the little pieces of foreshadowing I noticed watching it now. Chitanda's and Satoshi's first meeting is really funny. Also, this show is ever more gorgeous than I remembered.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If you're referring to Madoka, those were more like apparitions
Im talking about ritualistic witchcraft

I didn't think that the use of the term "witch" in Madoka was totally arbitrary because they represented a corruption of innocence much like the "green-skinned old crone" concept of the traditional witch, but if you're being strict with your definition, actual "witches" aren't all that common in anime.

We've pretty much just got Majorina in Smile Precure right now, and while she can be legitimately threatening she's still mostly just a joke character.

Well there's Bake and Nise off the top of my head. Although I know this isn't the answer you want.

Those were more like exorcists, though, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom