• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It really is the best pairing. PGSM solidified that in my book. Not even a question!

t5BV6l.jpg

48TlE.png

It certainly did!

DiGiKerot

Chihaya and Miki are clearly the best idols
(not counting secret best Kotori)
and they have the episodes to back it up.

The bit in spoiler text is clearly correct, but you seem to have spelt "Ritsuko" incorrectly twice.

Speaking of iM@S, I guess Shiny Festa should be out now. Three OAV episodes in terrible quality! Yay!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yamauchi is clearly the best action director in anime; expressionistically depicting the psychological state of the characters takes a lot more talent and skill than just creating entretaining set-pieces to satisfy the masses.

She looks like she's requesting some of Rick's Bread and specifying the size.

I'm sure that makes sense in context.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Episode 13 of Yumekui Merry; greatest action episode of all time.

No wonder I didn't recognize the scene. The way that things were going when I dropped the show, I swore that I'd never actually watch the troll end that everything supposedly culminated in.

Nafe

Fehérlófia or Son of the White Mare

Okay, I'm still catching up with the thread but a few weeks ago Icarus mentioned about recommending to people the Hungarian animated film titled Fehérlófia. I just wanted to let you know Icarus, that I watched it and thought it was pretty interesting.

The film is directed by Marcell Jankovics and produced by Pannónia Filmmstúdió. Apparently it took about two years to make and was released in 1981. The film, according to the English Wikipedia, is based on the work of László Arany and ancient Hunnic and Avaric legends.

yoBOJ.jpg

The King and Queen with their Griffin

As far as story, the film opens with a white mare giving birth to a baby boy whom she then relates a story of the past to. It is about a king and queen who ruled the land and had three sons whom one day wished to be married. They were each given a wife and their own kingdom but were warned not to go to a part of the kingdom which was forbidden and off limits.

The couples seemed to live happily enough until the husbands passed away, then the wives curiosity got the better of them and they opened the forbidden door they were to stay away from. It's a Pandora's box type of scenario as evil is unleashed upon the land, mostly represented in the form of three "Dragons", which capture the wives. The boy now wants to get stronger and defeat these evils and free the wives. The film then shows his adventures as he sets out to do this.

The visuals in this movie can be quite striking as shown above. Often times there is a very beautiful contrasting display of colours and shapes. The animation to the movie can have this strange fluidity to it where the characters seem almost wispy or ethereal like as they will distort and somewhat change shape and size.

Mr. Jankovics made an animated short in 1974, titled Sisyphus, showing the King pushing a stone up a hill and the character animation style used in Fehérlófia reminded me of the animation in that short. I've seen stylized animated works before but never anything quite like this film.

I only chose three pictures but I found many of the visuals quite nice looking at times that I could have chosen many more. Pictures also don't accurately depict animation either obviously. There were times though, usually in scenes of a forest location, that things were so detailed that I honestly had trouble telling what I was looking at. That would be one of my complaints against the film.

fX7MU.jpg

I think I maybe liked this girl the best but I liked the last one too

With the very stylized and somewhat surreal looking nature of the film, at times I honestly wasn't sure if there was symbolism present or if it was just how the film was presenting things. I did get some of the symbolism present such as the second "Dragon" representing
war or conflict as it's essentially a type of tank
and the third representing
modern digital society as it looks like skyscrapers or highrises with electricity or computer type innards to it.

---

A few questions to Icarus hoping you're reading this. To clarify, after the "Dragons" are released
the old man and the little troll fellow Treetearer meets are both the King from the old land right? The white mare then was the Queen?

It also seems like the story works in a type of
cyclical nature with how the beginning was presented and how things happen in the end. I guess a type of evil will always exist and humans will have to overcome it maybe?

I didn't really understand the first "Dragon". The English Wikipedia says it represents
the stone age, how is this an evil or bad though? I didn't really understand that part.

Near the beginning when the boy
was lifting the tree, the mare told him to put it back as the world was coming down or something. I'm not sure I understood that part. With the talk of tree's and seeing the three kingdoms on a tree I thought it initially represented the world but that obviously wasn't the case as shown by the movie.

The English Wiki also mentions the second wife is supposed to be a more direct reference to
Sigmund Freud because she's supposedly a bit hysterical.
Do you know if that's really true? She didn't really seem that way to me or if she was it was under pretty understandable circumstances.

One final thing I thought was kind of funny was with the talk about seven years, you realize that
treetearer is only about fourteen maybe fifteen years old, haha

Dresden

Well, I drop the anime after 3 eps or so.. and I know the whole anime was bunch or crap, but maybe the final episode by itself are actually good!
If you are (for whatever reason) serious, Yamauchi lost the plot by episode 7 and the show by episode 8. The final episode is a parody, except it's unintended.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The OP is the best thing to come out of this season. It's simply the best thing ever.

It really is special. My little brother's watching the show with me when we meet during weekends, and we're getting used to start conversations by whispering "jojo, jojo", haha.

I thought people were split on the actual song in the OP, but little to no complaints about the visuals for it. Song wise theres far better songs this season (No Pain, No Gain) or even Kings)

I haven't read any complaints here.

Stoof

Well I was exaggerating a bit, but the song combined with the visuals combined with the over the topness of JoJo really does make it an awesome OP.

cajunator

Banned
Good fucking god, what is this? It's making my heart rate increase rapidly... is this a show I should watch?

Yes, you should watch Denpa Onna. Erio is amazing.
Tagging NSFW just in case although the show itself really isnt.
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/touwa-erio?before=1336941119
tumblr_m0lennjvUX1r50au6o1_500.gif

I'm hoping that the old fans of Jojo will actually buy the DVD's/BD's to ensure other parts being animated.

It doesn't seem like the sort of show that will sell very good numbers.
There is a high likelihood thaT I will personally buy the series if its made available though.

fertygo

It doesn't seem like the sort of show that will sell very good numbers.
There is a high likelihood thaT I will personally buy the series if its made available though.

Well, the pre-order being decent so far.. dunno how big the actual sales gonna be though, but its not gonna completely bombed with this rate.

Jex

I haven't seen the original series bit I certainly haven't noticed anything like that so far. The only "light-hearted" stuff in this series tends to be the stuff with The Doctor, The Nurse and the odd snide remark from Analyser.

Well that's good. Not that I'd imagine they'd rehash the whole "Analyser is trying to see Yuki's panties" routine. The 70's was truly a filthy time.

fertygo

Then that's not so bad. I might buy one or two JPN volumes just to show my support.

You right, its expensive as hell (Its among the most expensive disc for this season series actually).. but the first vol already stop at right place covering the whole of first arc, I'm interested too.

That's an interesting way of putting it. Most people would say that they're not a fan of the show. Does that mean that you like elements besides the story?

I thought the story was interesting up to a certain episode,
up till they talked about the universe, how energy is needed and how people are just disposable
, I like the artstyle, the way the barriers and witches are displayed. It looks very pretty.

cajunator

Banned
up till they talked about the universe, how energy is needed and how people are just disposable
, I like the artstyle, the way the barriers and witches are displayed. It looks very pretty.

Some people here did have a problem with
entropy
but I felt like it was an interesting angle for the show to take that others haven't. Its a much different reason for everything than the usual mahou shoujo fare.

Dresden

It's a garbage reason and it's best ignored. One of those things that should have been left unsaid; Kyubey was better without the explanation.

duckroll

You right, its expensive as hell (Its among the most expensive disc for this season series actually).. but the first vol already stop at right place covering the whole of first arc, I'm interested too.

If you buy all 9 volumes, there's a decent chance you can recover a bunch of the cost by auctioning off the Jojo and Dio exclusive figure. That should be worth quite a bit depending on how limited it is.

The first volume also comes with the soundtrack CD, and future volumes will have other exclusive bonuses like designer T-shirts, key animation booklets, etc.

Jex

Ah, well, I had a problem with that exact speech (as did a few other people) but that's because I felt
that basically the whole explanation was complete unnecessary and they could have left it ambiguous. Sometimes it's best not fill out all the blanks.

/XX/

ihavenoregretsoverdroppingteekyuuimsorryxxistilltrustandvalueyouropinionbutmydecisionisfinal
As I appreciate you and value your opinion I wanted you to like it, but I understand your decision, I kind of do, roughly...

... just... just give me time to assimilate it, O.K.?

It was 6 episodes, it was confusing and I just didn't understand what was going on. I'm sure there is a better way to tell a coming of age story of a boy reaching maturity. I'll probably have to watch it again.
That's better! It's your reason and I accept that, I don't share it but you at least said it!

And yes, I would really recommend you to try to watch the OVAs again.

It's all good.

But you must repent by watching Aikatsu!

I'm just kidding.

But seriously.
Well, well... I'm sorry but I also have a pride! I can compromise to check (just for you) a compilation of the best (?) dance scenes on YouTube once the series ends. Good enough?

Hmm, /XX/, I think I might have found something that could potentially get me to watch Teekyuu to completion...
You mean you get to watch obliged 2-to-3 inoffensive minutes of 'yuri' antics per episode while I have to endure a whole (full-lenght episodes) 'cour' of THAT? You find that FAIR?

Yeah, that doesn't look rotoscoped at all. Animators do use motion reference a lot though.
Yep, I don't find the necessity of using that technique for experienced animators like the ones they have taking into account the type of 'flat' shot for that cut, without the added difficulty of dealing with volumes and perspective more heavily on it.

Someone on /a/ noted that blond guys with earrings is a popular style this season.

I'm inclined to agree.
Code:

Everyone wants to imitate Gilgamesh, but none can match the original.
No mention of Ōdo, then?

Jex

Tonari 04

Hnnng, this show is so goooood @_@. Compared to Tsuritama's Haru, I don't even need to say who's the better one, huh? Their interactions were a bit worse than the last episodes, but they had their moments. I didn't get the sexual innuendo you guys talked about. The thing with watermelons. You are sick. >:

I don't have any idea what you're talking about, pervert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom