• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Yuasa's Kickstarter met its goal with 6 days to go. Stretch goals have been added.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/production-ig/masaaki-yuasas-kick-heart?ref=home_popular

175k = Spanish Subtitles
200k = English Dub, Premier Screening and Party (details TBA)
225k = 3-5 minute animated Oorutaichi music video directed by Masaaki Yuasa
400k = +30 minutes of extended animation (total length 40 minutes)
1 Million = Kick-heart Feature Film

Don't think it will be able to reach any of them with 6 days left, but at least it'll get made.

Branduil

Don't forget, Okada also adapted Sketchbook and Otome Youkai Zakuro, and those were pretty good. It's not like Yoshimasa Hiraike and Chiaki Kon are anything special as directors.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Chuu2 4

This show is not very good.

Couldn't they have just told blondspin girl about the characters of her name and got it over with
GOD

Jex

Looks like Yuasa's Kickstarter met its goal with 6 days to go. Stretch goals have been added.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/production-ig/masaaki-yuasas-kick-heart?ref=home_popular

175k = Spanish Subtitles
200k = English Dub, Premier Screening and Party (details TBA)
225k = 3-5 minute animated Oorutaichi music video directed by Masaaki Yuasa
400k = +30 minutes of extended animation (total length 40 minutes)
1 Million = Kick-heart Feature Film

Don't think it will be able to reach any of them with 6 days left, but at least it'll get made.

I think they could just about hit 175K.

Mandoric

Banned
25k to add spanish subtitle?

Spanish subs are cheaper, duh. Dub/screening/party are more expensive. It would be silly to have stretch 1 at $151,750 and stretch 2 still at $200,000, and a huge lossmaker to have 1 at $151,750 and 2 at $153,500 and make it match that way.

Gintama 168

gVbWI.jpg

I approve.

Still easily amusing. Gin's reaction to this is probably the best yet.

Also, that amazing ED change.

Ultimadrago

Yurumates 3D/Plus 1-26 (2012)

A pleasant two seasons of 3 minute shorts about Yurume who befriends fellow tenants. Together they share the woes of being broke and the bliss found in alcohol.

Probably one of the best offerings this show had was Miyu Matsuki, also Yoshinoya from Hidamari Sketch, as another "weirdo" here! It's hard for me to reject hearing that familiar voice for minutes on end.

While I never quite found myself laughing heartily with it much, for the time investment, I had a good time simply witnessing the interactions (especially how the girls teased poor Matsukichi). I believe it did good work in this regard for a set of shorts. I liked it.

I wonder if there are any plans for it in the future.

Yurumates OVA (2009)

This was created earlier than 3D/Plus. It's a collection of shorts, as well (thirteen to be exact), but all edited back-to-back in the same video. Besides the first video with Yurume moving in for the first day, the skits are different than the ones used for 3D/Plus.

The art is was first noticeable difference for me. However, the pacing, humor and character voices are the same. At the end of the day, the notable gap between art and animation leaves me greatly preferring Yurumates 3D/Plus to this OVA despite having a similar soul.

Yurumates 3D/Plus 1-26 (2012)

While I never quite found myself laughing heartily with it much, for the time investment, I had a good time simply witnessing the interactions (especially how the girls teased poor Matsukichi). I believe it did good work in this regard for a set of shorts. I liked it.

Matsukichi always got the short end of the stick, poor guy.

Glad you liked this series; I certainly found it a consistently enjoyable watch and one of my favorite 3-minute shows.

Yurumates OVA (2009)

This was created earlier than 3D/Plus. It's a collection of shorts, as well (thirteen to be exact), but all edited back-to-back in the same video. Besides the first video with Yurume moving in for the first day, the skits are different than the ones used for 3D/Plus.

The art is was first noticeable difference for me. However, the pacing, humor and character voices are the same. At the end of the day, the notable gap between art and animation leaves me greatly preferring Yurumates 3D/Plus to this OVA despite having a similar soul.

This suffers from being one grouped collection - the humor works better in bite-size chunks, though it's not hard to split them into that yourself here. But the quality of the production values is the bigger issue; Yurumates 3D was a low-budget show but its art and animation still look better than the OVA's cheap Flash. Your screenshots speak for themselves.

Jex

It's not like the above necessarily makes me out to be the most insightful or articulate poster at animeGAF, either, but knowing that I used to post like that (sprinkled with the largely stupid humour I post now) always makes me disappointed that I don't make greater contributions anymore aside from trying to provoke (read: harassing) people into thinking about SKU - or, god forbid, an Oshii movie! - on the off chance someone actually watches it.

I often promise myself I won't post here unless I start putting out somewhat substantive posts like that on the subject of specific anime again. But it's all a little hard to justify when it feels like you're talking to yourself, you know? So I would just end up never posting here anymore if I kept those promises.

The time required to write anything substantial is what puts me off most of the time. It's hard to justify donating that much time to such matters.

Jex

I like reading people's impressions, and I like writing my own, but I also sort of recognize that focusing this much on criticism is the tip of the iceberg for some incredibly pretentious and meaningless navel-gazing. Sometimes criticism seems like a potentially infinite abyss that can swallow you, especially when (in the case of arguments) we wind up critiquing each others' critiques. It's like we're building a giant edifice on nothing.
That's just part of criticism in general, though. If there's a group discussion about something it's inevitable that someone will challenge someone else's views that will lead to some kind of discussion. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, unless people don't know where to stop. Once you both find something that you fundamentally disagree with each other over then it's usually time to end the discussion, but it can take a little bit of digging and discussion to discover what that disagreement is with.

Jex

Yeah, I used to write lengthy involved reviews that took actual time out of my day, until I realized they would probably all just end up on the bottom of a page in a thread that would be gone in a month, thus ensuring that absolutely no one would ever read them.

Well you could also store them somewhere more enduring, like a blog. At least they'd be in an easily viewable archived form.

Humanity Has Declined 9-12

First off, this show can be ridiculously pretty at times. The planar lighting scheme (I don't know if that's the correct term for it, but it sounds right for me) combined with the impressionistic art style was gorgeous, especially in the last few episodes.There were a number of scenes where I thought that this was the best looking show I'd ever seen.

The show has two other strong points--the heroine and the faeries. They were where the majority of the humor came from, and the humor came from a similar place for both: the contrast between their cynicism/dark worldview and the cuteness of their appearance and voices. I loved how lazy and self-serving the heroine was, and it was always fun to hear the faeries talking about environmental degradation and political turmoil in their high-pitched voices.

Still, despite the good points, this show left me somewhat cold. Part of the problem was how familiar it felt. I don't watch that much anime, but I'd seen a lot of the things Declined does before: the time-loop story and the non-chronological episode order from Haruhi, the meta-commentary from Gintama and a whole bunch of other series, the boys love parody that I feel like I've seen everywhere. It's not like reusing subjects and gimmicks is neccessarily a bad strategy, but Declined never really invested much energy in making these cliches its own. Take episode 9 as an example. A story about building a society on a deserted island has the potential to be really interesting, but this episode never really invested any energy in building the environment or making the intricacies of creating a society involving. The deserted island aspect just served as an excuse to make some jokes and show some (admittedly stunning) backgrounds.

vx2s5.png

The fluttering moth was a nice touch.

More on those backgrounds. I would call them beautiful, but I don't know if I would call the show itself beautiful. What I mean by that is if you took a screenshot at random, there is a good chance you would get an image that is aesthetically pleasing. But a show isn't a single image, its a collection of thousands (10s of thousands?) of images, so you have to judge how each image serves as a part of the whole. I just don't see what the broader point of those beautiful images are, besides being eye candy as you listen for the jokes (I don't know if any of this makes sense).

On to the other elements that didn't work: Firstly, none of the supporting characters made much of an impression. They would show up for an episode or two, and never appear again. The non-chronological episode order was a problem as well. It worked out alright in Haruhi because the main cast had a clearly defined personality and role in the group. Characters like the assisstant and the grandfather were too peripheral to the action to make much of a lasting impression, so when they showed up again, you didn't really have much to remember from their previous appearances.

VRbvK.png

Also pretty.

So if I were to make an overall judgement of this series, I would say that it was mildly entertaining, but never really came close (or even tried) to be much more. The one part that really stood out, and I think I'll remember for a while, is the ED. It's such an amazing combination of sound and image, and carries such a strong feeling of melancholy with it. The thematic heart of this series was all about this sad acceptance of humanity's twilight, and that's definitely a strong basis for the series. There was definitely a strong sense of sadness to the last two episodes, when you realized that this was the end of the school, of the Rose Tea Society (or whatever it was called), of all these girls sadness, and of human society. I just wish the show as a whole had focused more on this sad acceptance than on being mildly amusing.

Ultimadrago

This suffers from being one grouped collection - the humor works better in bite-size chunks, though it's not hard to split them into that yourself here.

I can definitely stand behind this statement. While it's possible to split them up personally, at the end of the day, they're still glued together. It's funny how thirty-seven minutes of Yurumates placed one after the other in a video works substantially worse than simply choosing to watch the next episode on Crunchyroll (even watching a similar amount in one sitting). Of course, the weekly basis of shorts is also an improvement over the OVA's approach.

But the quality of the production values is the bigger issue; Yurumates 3D was a low-budget show but its art and animation still look better than the OVA's cheap Flash. Your screenshots speak for themselves.

Quite. Yurumates 3D is definitely low-budget, but placed next to the OVA, it looks better than it even is!
I found myself appreciating the work made for 3D more after seeing that OVA.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So if I were to make an overall judgement of this series, I would say that it was mildly entertaining, but never really came close (or even tried) to be much more. The one part that really stood out, and I think I'll remember for a while, is the ED. It's such an amazing combination of sound and image, and carries such a strong feeling of melancholy with it. The thematic heart of this series was all about this sad acceptance of humanity's twilight, and that's definitely a strong basis for the series. There was definitely a strong sense of sadness to the last two episodes, when you realized that this was the end of the school, of the Rose Tea Society (or whatever it was called), of all these girls sadness, and of human society. I just wish the show as a whole had focused more on this sad acceptance than on being mildly amusing.
I do find it funny that in America/UK, post-apocalyptic fiction is about how fucked we are as a human race. We're either killing zombies or aliens or each other.

In Japan, it's just people being :firehawk and living their lives until they grow old and die.

Go figure.

Branduil

Psycho Pass 2

ibcWD9NTg41OGw.jpg

I hope you die first.

Better than the first episode. It was still pretty talky, but at least this time certain elements of the show were left unstated, using only visuals to communicate certain ideas, such as with the holographic technology used everywhere(which seems to work by magic, but whatever).

This really is a reverse harem show, though. Akane already has three husbandos, and I particularly liked how Akane
shooting
Shinya caused him to completely rethink his life for the first time ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom