• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuunibyo 04

This show is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo CUTE.
Especially every time Yuuta smacks Rikka on the head. that little noise. HNNNNNNGH.
I must have watched those parts over and over a dozen times. can't help it.
It was also fun to see Nibutani's....other side. Kyo Ani, I don't know how you do it but you keep doing it.

I <3 KyoAni. They seem to know what I want in a show. :D

It was in English :(

(´&#65381;&#1044;&#65381;)&#12301;My condolences.

Joe Molotov

We need to do a best Hidamari pairing brackett:

YunoxMiya
HiroxSae
NazunaxNori
YoshinoyaxKuwahara
NatsumexSae
YunoxThatOneGirlThatFoundHerCellphone
HiroxSaexNatsume (Harem Option)
YoshinoyaxPrincipal (Hetero Option)

If there are really reasons for all of this in the LN and everything's planned reasonably there, SAO anime must be one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen
Shoveling exposition down your throat in an attempt to cover every detail of the source material isn't how you write a good adaptation. I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I really like that SAO doesn't waste time on these details that the viewer can either work out for themselves or read the novels for.

cajunator

Banned
I <3 KyoAni. They seem to know what I want in a show. :D

(´&#65381;&#1044;&#65381;)&#12301;My condolences.

I hope somebody does a collection of Rikka's "AWU" moments because that's my favorite part. I would smack her in the head with a newspaper just to hear that over and over.

Jarmel

Banned
Shoveling exposition down your throat in an attempt to cover every detail of the source material isn't how you write a good adaptation. I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I really like that SAO doesn't waste time on these details that the viewer can either work out for themselves or read the novels for.

Should I start up the whole, adaptations should stand alone argument again?

We need to do a best Hidamari pairing brackett:

YunoxMiya
HiroxSae
NazunaxNori
YoshinoyaxKuwahara
NatsumexSae
YunoxThatOneGirlThatFoundHerCellphone
HiroxSaexNatsume (Harem Option)
YoshinoyaxPrincipal (Hetero Option)

Sae is straight though

mpc-hc2012-08-2712-306iyv6.jpg

Pooya

But these aren't little details, little detail is what if you cut your audience wouldn't know if they were there at all, not things that would make you question the characters' actions and motivations in key parts of a story.

They should totally make a pamphlet and make you print it out and read while you watch right? that's not how adaptations work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will look forward to the day when they will explain ( hopefully correctly ) the reasons just to see your reaction
They didn't bother with SAO, so why would they explain this game? lol

So FairyOniichanFuckerOnline? :p
Sure! Although it's totally cool, since they're
cousins
!

At least Akane doesn't talk about leaving her family, love. Episode 4 did somewhat redeem her but Tanabe definitely is highly irritating. I didn't find Akane that annoying frankly and Tanabe makes me want to airlock her. She talks about love about as much as Sayaka talks about justice.
Well, at least Tanabe is like a Space Otaku who romanticizes being an Astronaut and going out and doing missions.

Akane is surrounded by criminals and wants to see the best in people despite the fact that she lives in a society where everyone's emotions are basically out on display for everyone to see. I don't think it's possible to be that naive in a universe like that, unless you are insane yourself!

When I watched that episode I just sat staring at my monitor wondering what show I was watching and whether I as supposed to laugh.
At least it gets better after the whole Moon thing. lol

But these aren't little details, little detail is what if you cut your audience wouldn't know if they were there at all, not things that would make you question the characters' actions and motivations in key parts of a story.

They should totally make a pamphlet and make you print it out and read while you watch right? that's not how adaptations work.

Sorry but there are things you should reach by thinking a little given all the stuff/info they provided ...

It's easy to deduce for example that the nervegear presents no risk for ALO because of all the clues provided to the viewer .. i repeat : they provided plenty of cues already..Maybe it's easier for me to spot them since i've read the books first ..but there are present.

They didn't bother with SAO, so why would they explain this game? lol

Same thing.. you think they will forget plot and sub plots or that they are lazy ?

Ultimadrago

Gunslinger Girl - 2-5

Wow, this was great. Great production values (still, nothing in these episodes was quite on the level of the shootout in the first episode but few shows are) and some really interesting and well told background stories on all of the girls. Hopefully a bigger plot will be revealed soon, but I wouldn't mind if the show just stuck with this tempo of telling episodic stories.
I expected the show to be really slow, and perhaps it is, but it's hard to notice it, episodes just seem to fly by, the direction is really good.

I never expected to see someone watch it so soon after sonicmj1 and I. It's nice to see you enjoying it Grzi! I remember having the same desire for the direction that you note here (wider overarching plot), but Gunslinger Girl continues and wraps up well with what it offers. One could argue that it executes this better than a simply larger plot would've managed in the same space of time.

ohh... the clouds!

:lolNatsume

Ultima belongs to me and me only...

back off :(

There's enough bonds for everyone!

Ultima and I shared a backlog season.

Is there any deeper bond than that?

That's about as deep as it can get!

Syrinx

I never expected to see someone watch it so soon after sonicmj1 and I. It's nice to see you enjoying it Grzi! I remember having the same desire for the direction that you note here (wider overarching plot), but Gunslinger Girl continues and wraps up well with what it offers.

I really should get around to watching the last two episodes of Season 1. Maybe some point today.

Pooya

Sorry but there are things you should reach by thinking a little given all the stuff/info they provided ...

It's easy to deduce for example that the nervegear presents no risk for ALO because of all the clues provided to the viewer .. i repeat : they provided plenty of cues already..Maybe it's easier for me to spot them since i've read the books first ..but there are present.

I don't know, what clue? if anything it did the opposite.

1) The bad guy is in charge of the system and they made sure Kirito knows that fact.

2) The game uses SAO code, so much that even his item and stats transfered

3) Kirito goes and searches for log out button asap, he doesn't seem sure about this at all before jumping in

-> who knows if the bad guy finds out he can't just add kill codes and remove log out for him, it's same code after all and he's in control and he has every reason to do so if he tries to interfere with his plans.

now tell me about these cues. dunno, the helmet looks old and rusty? Aigil tells him it works with it, so it's ok?

In the first arc, most of the supposed "things that make you question the characters' actions and motivations" were indeed details that didn't need to be said, but as I haven't started the new one yet, I'll shut up.

If people are having to reference or look to the LN to answer questions, and there haven't been a select few, then obviously something went wrong.
Of course the novel is going to have more details and be able to answer questions that the adaptation doesn't. That doesn't mean that these questions need to be answered to enjoy and understand the story.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, at least Tanabe is like a Space Otaku who romanticizes being an Astronaut and going out and doing missions.

Akane is surrounded by criminals and wants to see the best in people despite the fact that she lives in a society where everyone's emotions are basically out on display for everyone to see. I don't think it's possible to be that naive in a universe like that, unless you are insane yourself!

That's true in that Tanabe is a romanticist. I tend to hand-wave Akane's personality as being that of living in an ivory tower and quickly realizing what the world is. The thing is that Tanabe is just so extreme at times that it irritates the hell out of me. I mean the whole
threatening to throw the coffin into the atmosphere was just so ridiculous that I wanted to strangle her.
Then we have the wedding meeting episode where she said that all a couple needs is love and can survive on love itself. I mean the director/writer are obviously playing her up for comedic effect but I'm hoping it doesn't become grating during the more dramatic moments.

Grzi

Robotics; Notes - 03

Finally a good episode the entirety of which was dedicated to the robot tournament, and it worked pretty well. I'm starting to get used to the genki chick, although I hope she'll tone in down a bit in the future, and we finally got a glimpse of some serious shit going on in the background of the story, so we might actually get a worthy successor to Steins; Gate and not another Chaos; Head.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's true in that Tanabe is a romanticist. I tend to hand-wave Akane's personality as being that of living in an ivory tower and quickly realizing what the world is. The thing is that Tanabe is just so extreme at times that it irritates the hell out of me. I mean the whole
threatening to throw the coffin into the atmosphere was just so ridiculous that I wanted to strangle her.
Then we have the wedding meeting episode where she said that all a couple needs is love and can survive on love itself. I mean the director/writer are obviously playing her up for comedic effect but I'm hoping it doesn't become grating during the more dramatic moments.
I will say that it pays of entirely. Which is why I'm assuming the same thing will happen to Akane. But she still seems insanely naive about it all anyway - from why she picked her job to her expectations of the people she works with.

Same thing.. you think they will forget plot and sub plots or that they are lazy ?
Yes!

Robotics; Notes - 03
Finally a good episode the entirety of which was dedicated to the robot tournament, and it worked pretty well. I'm starting to get used to the genki chick, although I hope she'll tone in down a bit in the future, and we finally got a glimpse of some serious shit going on in the background of the story, so we might actually get a worthy successor to Steins; Gate and not another Chaos; Head.

Havent seen the episode yet but I think the anime is already more better than Steins;Gate, at least in characters, plot, setting, and atmosphere.

Grzi

I never expected to see someone watch it so soon after sonicmj1 and I. It's nice to see you enjoying it Grzi! I remember having the same desire for the direction that you note here (wider overarching plot), but Gunslinger Girl continues and wraps up well with what it offers. One could argue that it executes this better than a simply larger plot would've managed in the same space of time.

The positive impressions in this thread were the reason I started watching, so I'm thankful to you guys because this show didn't have a very high priority on my backlog. But I'm glad I decided to give it a shot, great show so far.

Defuser

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! ep 4
Dekomori is still annoying. I don't see why you guys like her.
Shinka is basically Yuuta 2.0 but even better since she has 3 side to her. That's hardcore.

Dammit Kumin, just go home and sleep instead!

Havent seen the episode yet but I think the anime is already more better than Steins;Gate, at least in characters, plot, setting, and atmosphere.

well,
Okabe > Akiho
time travel > yeah, what? high school club drama and a robot Belldandy
Akihabara > a school in the middle of nowhere
just the "human is dead"-scene in EP3
> everything in Robotics;Notes

R;N has maybe the cute boys factor...

sonicmj1

I think the Psycho-Pass is more a measure of where someone fits on the "lawful/chaotic" axis than on the "good/evil" axis, to put it in D&D terms.

Jarmel

Banned
well,
Okabe > Akiho
time travel > yeah, what? high school club drama and a robot Belldandy
Akihabara > a school in the middle of nowhere
just the "human is dead"-scene in EP3
> everything in Robotics;Notes

R;N has maybe the cute boys factor...

To be fair, it took a long while for S;G to really kick into high gear. R;N is also a slow burner but I think it's paced better.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the Psycho-Pass is more a measure of where someone fits on the "lawful/chaotic" axis than on the "good/evil" axis, to put it in D&D terms.

Sure, but when everyone is on the chaotic side of the spectrum, you stick out like a sore thumb if you are on the lawful side.

It'd probably help if there was another optimist working with them, but as it stands, she just looks like a petulant child at times.

Kagami

Chuunibyo 04

Especially every time Yuuta smacks Rikka on the head. that little noise. HNNNNNNGH.
Haha yes. It's great.

Every time she does that sound, the realtime watching thread fills with people quoting her.

xXuTE.png

I didn't enjoy 4 as much as 2 and 3, but I'm still really positive on this show.

I liked the Steins;Gate characters immediately from episode 1, whereas I'm not sold on Robotics;Notes at all so far. Just watching on faith that it will get interesting. Haven't seen ep 3 yet.

Pooya

Magi - 3

What I suspected of Alibaba in previous episode was unsurprisingly true, wonder how he ended up like this then. I like Alibaba enough to watch this for now but don't care about anyone else. Everything overall feels really lifeless and meh so far. Next episode should give a better picture of everything I hope.

Steroyd

hasn't he plenty of time to do that after he checked out if it's true or not ?

The sickos main bad guy would just say :
"this is just the prize of the game i'm managing, i made her look like asuna because i love her so much "

Without more proof , he has nothing to show really ...

I will look forward to the day when they will explain ( hopefully correctly ) the reasons just to see your reaction

Surely it's enough to halt the wedding at an absolute bare minimum.

If I have to read a manga/LN just to fill in the gaps the anime has kindly left out, then it's a shit adaptation (see Magi)

SUCK ON THIS JMAN

by all laws of logic I should find Dekomori annoying.....but I don't :(

JMAN isn't here to retort such things.

K-ON is awesomely awesome.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
He already has a picture of her in the new game, or at least enough of a picture to send warning signs to someone of the right authorities.

Lord knows why he didn't at least show Asuna's dad, oh yeah anime.

It's anime. Adults are useless.

fertygo

Sure, but when everyone is on the chaotic side of the spectrum, you stick out like a sore thumb if you are on the lawful side.

It'd probably help if there was another optimist working with them, but as it stands, she just looks like a petulant child at times.

Sybil system judge her as someone that have potential make decision that no one can and have the best compatibility for the job, and with Gen as writer I doubt that in means of naive seigi no mikata BS. I think even the OP implying Akane not gonna be same person in entire series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sybil system judge her as someone that have potential make decision that no one can and have the best compatibility for the job, and with Gen as writer I doubt that in means of naive seigi no mikata BS. I think even the OP implying Akane not gonna be same person in entire series.
Right, which is also why I compare her with Tabane.

Zeroth

Psycho-Pass 3

God damn, Ginoza.

Really liked how the real police work is relegated to latent criminals. I suppose understanding how a criminal thinks is enough to warrant a flag. Another nice touch was Akane being the only one to acknowledge the factory boss when he greeted them. The rift between government entities in a world like this is rather startlingly.

The knowledge that Psycho-Pass hue can regress further undermines the Sibyl System too. All one has to do is make sure they don't exceed a certain point. I've a feeling career criminals who can operate without excessive stress or true psychopaths fly under the radar.

Remember the opening scene of the first episode? The Dominator didn't work at the criminal, which may indicate that there are people who can kill without even triggering a high psycho pass, or maybe it was just due to the location. Either way, it's an interesting point.

Akane is insane and evil

Spoilers from episode 4?

duckroll

Remember the opening scene of the first episode? The Dominator didn't work at the criminal, which may indicate that there are people who can kill without even triggering a high psycho pass, or maybe it was just due to the location. Either way, it's an interesting point.

I think it's the helmet.

I don't know, what clue? if anything it did the opposite.

1) The bad guy is in charge of the system and they made sure Kirito knows that fact.

2) The game uses SAO code, so much that even his item and stats transfered

3) Kirito goes and searches for log out button asap, he doesn't seem sure about this at all before jumping in

-> who knows if the bad guy finds out he can't just add kill codes and remove log out for him, it's same code after all and he's in control and he has every reason to do so if he tries to interfere with his plans.

now tell me about these cues. dunno, the helmet looks old and rusty? Aigil tells him it works with it, so it's ok?

3) Kirito looking for the log out button is not a clue .. it's just him not wanting to experience another painfull memory ..the fact that there are people playing the game ( another game ) without problem is a clue enough that this scene shouldn't matter.

Agil says that the Sao helmet is compatible ...meaning that this ( using the helmet ) was already done by someone else without trouble. Agil give him the game and even told him that the old helmet works ..if there was a risk involved , he would have said something ..it's safe to conclude that he didn't because there are none. kirito even wonder about the hardware required in that same scene.
Also the ALO game is PK based ..meaning death is part of the experience..kirito even call that easy .

2) yui says that the game use "old sao code" , another reason why the hardware is compatible. Said in the same scene that kirito was an previous Sao beta tester ( as fact that is know since episode 1 ). Up to the final beta , there wasn't any killswitch present in the Sao code, the numerous clues provided so far ( up to ep 16 ) tell us that people could log out when they wanted and could die as much as they could. Since ALO is based on that/those builds , thinking that a danger like ( similar to ) SAO is unlikly.

Also why put this code in the game ( assuming my guess is wrong ) if the new helmet can't kill even if they wanted to. If there is a threat, if would be something else and by this point it would work regardless of the hardware used.

1) Now here is a logical reason.. The bad guy knows about kirito ...but the bad guy is also confident that kirito can't do a thing , otherwise he wouldn't have dropped the act the second they were alone.
But unfortunatly this has nothing on the post i've quoted saying that the nervegear is now harmless..

based on 2) & 3) i conclude that using the original nervegear in Alo poses no problem or at least no problem that would be also present with another helmet.
Also the "adding kill code in the game argument" is dubious at least . First it's highly unlikely because that's not how games works ..second it would make a bad publicity on a game that provided with a full security experience ( no kill codes in sight ) it's too much of a risk when you can do pretty much anything else..

Grzi

Psycho-Pass - 03

Not bad, the case itself was a bit boring and predictable, but the incredible amount of badassery demonstrated by Shinya at the end was enough for me to give this episode a passing grade. I also felt this episode shared quite a few similarities with GitS: SAC.
Also, the manservice at the beginning gave off strong '90s action flick vibes (and was so :DTL) but in the best way possible, more shows need that type of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom