• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol2: Honest Hearts |OT| I am the right hand of the Lord

Wiseblood

-BLITZ- said:
Yes, I know. But Obsidian should mention or pick up their minds to tell if we need to make just one of them as some kind of single route in Courier story or they are having real bug problems with Cassidy. Doesn't make sense to kill Cassidy if she's a companion since the other companions are not in such situation. After all
she tells her story at the end of the game.

All the companions have ending slides for being killed since companions can die in hardcore mode.
Letting the Van Graafs kill Cass gets you the "Cass was killed" slide.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Since you can pretty much assault and dismantle Legion HQ anytime in New Vegas, should be interesting to see what Graham's reaction is to
Caesar's possible death

Unlocking a companion perk, maybe? :)

Dr. Chaos said:
Since you can pretty much assault and dismantle Legion HQ anytime in New Vegas, should be interesting to see what Graham's reaction is to
Caesar's possible death

Unlocking a companion perk, maybe? :)
That is a great question because I wiped them SOBs out.

JimWood27 said:
That is a great question because I wiped them SOBs out.

I actually thought, early on in the game, that you'd be able to convince Caesar to abandon is position and roam the wastes with you. After his agent seeks you out in Vegas with that 'all is forgiven, go visit the Big Guy' speech, it didn't seem like a stretch to think that you could have Caesar wander about and take down NCR dudes.

But in the end, each time I visit Caesar I end up wiping him and his compound out. The should have made it a bit harder to do that.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Nice to see the actual tribal imagery back like in FO2 and Point Lookout. Less Great Khans crazy raider/biker gang looking tribes and gun nuts like the boomers and more Arroyo style.

duckroll

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...-taken-away/page__view__findpost__p__17669735

Chris Avellone said:
In Dead Money, we did it for the survival/horror experience. None of the future DLCs strip gear from a player, although in Honest Hearts, because of the caravan journey you're on (and the distance) you can only carry a certain weight limit (which can be increased with skills and perks).

In both Honest Hearts and Old World Blues, you'll find out fast that you're in a difficult situation and need to finish the adventure once begun - but both adventures take place in an open world free-roaming location (similar to Point Lookout). Once there, you can tackle your objectives in any order or ignore them entirely. After completing the adventures, you can return freely to both locations from the Mojave.

In Old World Blues, it's very, very easy to return anytime you want, and we tried to make it as easy as possible for people to do so.

Lonesome Road is a bit different. As the name suggests, it's more a road that leads to an end destination (though not like any road you may have seen before), so it's structured a bit differently - you can travel it, and come back anytime you want. You can also return to it after the adventure is over.

broham

This new dlc talk is making me all giddy, it's made me want to start up another playthrough. Currently thinking of what kind of character to play as while steam downloads new vegas.

Mother.of.God.

So we are now gettIng at least two areas like point lookout! Joy may burst through my very pores! Seriously these DLCs volumes are going to define DLC for this generation. Cannot fucking wait for Tuesday.

duckroll

broham said:
This new dlc talk is making me all giddy, it's made me want to start up another playthrough. Currently thinking of what kind of character to play as while steam downloads new vegas.

I recommend cannibalism.

Flynn

duckroll said:
I loved Dead Money. It had really good writing, a unique setting, and gameplay which was designed to be very different from vanilla NV. There are nice trap designs, and a good amount of reward/punishment for the player's patience and observation in terms of approaching the dangerous environment. Definitely worth the 10 bucks both in terms of content quantity and quality imo.

I was sad to see Dead Money over.

duckroll

I'm all ready for Honest Hearts now. Lowered my Food/H2O/Sleep bars to almost zero. Put all the equipment and weapons I didn't need in my suite. Stashed away my Remnants Power Armor set, and my Oh Baby. Lowered my carry weight to like 114 now. Followers coat, Motor-Runner's Helmet, Eyeglasses, Cosmic Knife Super-heated, and Pew-pew should be more than enough.

My (virtual) body is ready!

Trick_GSF

Banned
I'm playing New Vegas now. About 60 hours in, working with the Legion with plenty still to do. Honestly, the more I read about the DLC the better it sounds.

Cannot wait.

Wiseblood

Sweet! Point Lookout was my favorite FO3 DLC mostly because of it being a new free roaming area. Glad that Honest Hearts and Old World Blues are similar in that respect.

And even though they're not going to strip your gear, I'm still going in with minimal equipment just because of all the potential loot there is to bring back to the Mojave.

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm all ready for Honest Hearts now. Lowered my Food/H2O/Sleep bars to almost zero. Put all the equipment and weapons I didn't need in my suite. Stashed away my Remnants Power Armor set, and my Oh Baby. Lowered my carry weight to like 114 now. Followers coat, Motor-Runner's Helmet, Eyeglasses, Cosmic Knife Super-heated, and Pew-pew should be more than enough.

My (virtual) body is ready!

You need serious help.

Seriously.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's going to be, my Gobi, my assassin suit and maybe my 12.7mm Pistol.

I'd take the Marksman Carbine but I don't want to take anything I won't need to grab all that precious loot.

duckroll

bonesmccoy said:
I wonder: Will it be possible to leave the new area before you complete the DLC quest?

It's implied that for Honest Hearts and Old World Blues that will not be possible, because you're locked in. But it seems that for Lonesome Road, it will be possible, because the objective of that story is to simply progress to the end of a specific path, so if you want to turn back, you can.

I guess that means I will be packing my power armor, Maria and perhaps some explosives.

Only a few more days until my morally bankrupt female long-gunner wanders off into Zion.

duckroll

Interesting updates from JE Sawyer:

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/194107644871476966
The weight limit will force people to think about what they take. They can still bring in very powerful equipment, but they do have to make some strategic decisions. People who want a challenge will use the weight limit as an story-based excuse to bring in a minimalist set of gear. People who want to slaughter everything won't, but it's their choice to do so and I don't think the experience will be worse for them because of it.

And...

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/194106116496452209
Q: will we see more comedic items like the Pint-sized slasher mask from FO3 in future DLCs?

Sawyer: Without getting into items, Old World Blues is the most LOL!!! of the DLCs.

Darkgran

duckroll said:
One more day until HONEST HEARTS!!!! :D

jonahhillahhhh.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been playing NV again, will get this and Dead Money too. The OP says this adds another 5 levels to the cap, does Dead Money raise it as well?

Darkgran

Papercuts said:
I've been playing NV again, will get this and Dead Money too. The OP says this adds another 5 levels to the cap, does Dead Money raise it as well?

Yes. It raises it by 5 also.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Looking forward to raiding zion with the fully modded holo rifle and a shitload of ammo. Leaving the power armor behind in favor of the desert ranger armor.

duckroll said:
I recommend cannibalism.

Joking or not, is the Cannibalism perk substantial enough to use from a role-playing perspective? For instance, is it entirely possible to forego using food and stimpacks in lieu of consuming NPC corpses for health regeneration?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
disappeared said:
Joking or not, is the Cannibalism perk substantial enough to use from a role-playing perspective? For instance, is it entirely possible to forego using food and stimpacks in lieu of consuming NPC corpses for health regeneration?
Not likely.

If you're playing in Hardcore mode, you'll definitely need to use stims or food, not really enough time to munch on dead bodies in the middle of a firefight.

Small prediction: I'm assuming The Burned Man will play a more visible role in the Honest Hearts questline than Elijah did in DM. They could have fun with the whole legend of him being damn near unstoppable by letting him show up early on or at the start and let players get close to him and blow him straight to hell, seemingly killing him. With the NPC set to not lose any limbs no matter what sort of damage it takes, it would provided a nice "what the hell?" moment later when he shows up later alive.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i have to say.. im jealous of you guys. im going to wait it out until a GOTY release but between this and Dead Money im so tempted to spend money i dont have lol

Sober

water_wendi said:
i have to say.. im jealous of you guys. im going to wait it out until a GOTY release but between this and Dead Money im so tempted to spend money i dont have lol
Wouldn't the GOTY debut at 50$ MSRP anyway? Since you already paid for FNV (I'm guessing at around that price too), you really are spending more than you need for waiting for the DLC at this point.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sober said:
Wouldn't the GOTY debut at 50$ MSRP anyway? Since you already paid for FNV (I'm guessing at around that price too), you really are spending more than you need for waiting for the DLC at this point.
ill be spending about the same amount in the long run but i refuse to purchase digital goods.

Decided to wait a bit before buying this. Have exams coming up, and knowing myself, it'd be too much of a distraction. :lol

So I'll probably buy both it and Old World Blues at the same time, assuming OWB comes out at the end of June.

duckroll

disappeared said:

Not a joke. I'm playing a cannibal character on a new game right now, a few hours in, almost at level 8. It is completely substantial enough to use from a role-playing perspective. Playing on hardcore, you can definitely forego using food and stimpacks if you really want. It will probably be more challenging if you absolutely refuse to eat normal food, but it's still doable.

Once you consume enough bodies you unlock another perk which allows you to scavenge human remains from bodies to carry with you instead of consuming immediately. There is also another perk which allows you to consume ghoul corpses. It's pretty enjoyable playing a guns character and barely surviving a shoot-out with 5-6 raiders or fiends, only to be able to regain all my health by feasting on all their remains. OM NOM NOM NOM! :D

Dr. Chaos said:
Not likely.

If you're playing in Hardcore mode, you'll definitely need to use stims or food, not really enough time to munch on dead bodies in the middle of a firefight.

The idea isn't to stop and eat a body in the middle of a firefight though. But rather tactically surviving combat, and then restoring HP afterwards. Or you can keep a supply of Human Remains to eat if you really need to restore health in the middle of combat.

Cannibalism!

I just can't get over my scruples to do a run like that. I find it hard enough playing as my morally grey-female Courier. I still feel bad about about luring Cass to the Von Graffs. :*(

Has anyone tried DM while on hardcore mode?

God damn, I 'm getting really excited for Honest Hearts. Taking a cue from Duckroll, I've dropped off all of my weapons except for my hunting shotgun and ranger sequioa. Gonna wear my Sherrif's Duster and red beret. BRING IT ON ZION.

Wiggum2007

Getting back into this, and remembering that there is this really annoying glitch for female characters (maybe males too, haven't played as one), where with certain armors (leather is one off the top of my head, lots of various outfits) there is this seam separating your hand and your pipboy, so you have an invisible wrist. It has absolutely no effect on the gameplay whatsoever but once you notice it you can't unsee it, it bugs the shit out of me so much that I can't wear those armors. =(

I haven't come across that bug, but with my female character weapons are not attached at hip while holstered, but hover about 5-6 inches away. It's a buzz kill to holster Maria, and then switch to 3rd person view.

For whatever reason, I thought this was coming out today. Fuck me. I want to get down on some Honest Hearts so badly. I think I am going to sleep all day and hibernate until tomorrow.

bonesmccoy said:
Cannibalism!

I just can't get over my scruples to do a run like that. I find it hard enough playing as my morally grey-female Courier. I still feel bad about about luring Cass to the Von Graffs. :*(

Has anyone tried DM while on hardcore mode?

Yeah. The red mist is constantly draining your life. It was never something that made me feel like I was going to die from it, but it was definitely a wear and tear on my food resources. Forced me to scavenge a bit more than usual.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hope it's a lot better than Dead Money. That was pretty shit DLC.

Dead Money was AMAZING, at least to me. It seemed to go on forever! What was it? Like 10 hours of content for $10? Sign me up for more, please.

Oh, and fuck yeah, ready for this DLC.

GrandHarrier said:
Dead Money was AMAZING, at least to me. It seemed to go on forever! What was it? Like 10 hours of content for $10? Sign me up for more, please.

No lies, Dead Money and RDR's Undead Nightmare have been the best DLC offerings of this generation.

I suppose I'm a bit worried that Honest Hearts might not be as beefy as Dead Money. The standard was set quite high.

Top Bottom