• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

duckroll

A.CHAP said:
Im playing this on PC. Having never done the sort of tinkering you refer to I dont know how long it takes or what it involves, and im not interested in finding out. When I get time to play a game I just want to play. Im sorry to have caused "offense" (wierd).

When you launch the game, the launcher has an option called "DATA FILE" or whatever. You click on that and it shows all the mods in the directory you can select to load or deselect to not load. The mods are gotten from sites like New Vegas Nexus and you just unzip the files into the game directory.

So you admit you're not interested in finding out. You don't want to know. Yet you decided to presume that you can be a smartass and make a snide comment about needing to take an IT course. It's your fault, you put yourself in this position and no one else.

Wallach

MEANWHILE, somewhere in the Mojave wasteland...

I decided to put my handguns style guy on hold at the young age of level 6 until later, in hopes that at some point
NCR Ranger status can be earned.

SO

In the meantime I will check out a Energy/Science/Speech with two goals: one, quite a lot of skill points. Two, VATS overload when forced to put 'em up. How many shots will he be able to crack off? SO MANY.

A.CHAP

Banned
Cheech said:
Simmer down. GAF as a whole has collectively lost patience with people who troll PC gaming. It happens a lot here. Your comment came off as trollish at worst, uneducated at best. You also have to realize that there is a huge IT community here, who put up with idiots all day long at work, and don't necessarily have the patience with people who throw flamebait around. If you ask your questions respectfully and don't come off as a douche, you'll get a response in kind.

Thanks to Steam/Google, there's really no reason PC gaming is any more complicated than console gaming. We've come a long way from setting jumpers on sound cards to address I/O conflicts. :lol

People here are far to sensitive. I was not trolling in any way. I was not suggesting that PC gaming was bad because it enabled you to patch and mod. For those sufficiently motivated that is clearly an advantage over consoles. I simply mentiond that i was not sufficiently motivated.

First I thought people were attacking me to show off how clever they were because they know something i dont, which is pathetic. If in fact they are jumping to the defense of PC gaming because they think i am attacking it then they need to calm down.

talked out of your ass to make some gross exaggeration

Yes i exaggerated when I said "take an IT course" it was intentional and obvious and you go in the "calm down im not attacking PC gaming" group.

New Nvidia drivers fixed the white flashes/AA problem for me, but now it runs worse than ever. Constantly drops from 60-20, even just standing still and turning around. That's with the .dll fix (which it ran just fine under, but the flashes were really starting to get annoying). Giving up on this until this shit gets sorted out. Which will likely be never.

Kinan

Ponti said:
Try the 'closeallmenus' console command if you haven't already. If that doesn't work try 'togglemenus'.
doesnt help unfortunately. :( giving up until next update is out, I suppose. :p

Shinjitsu

Banned
A.CHAP said:
People here are far to sensitive. I was not trolling in any way. I was not suggesting that PC gaming was bad because it enabled you to patch and mod. For those sufficiently motivated that is clearly an advantage over consoles. I simply mentiond that i was not sufficiently motivated.

First I thought people were attacking me to show off how clever they were because they know something i dont, which is pathetic. If in fact they are jumping to the defense of PC gaming because they think i am attacking it then they need to calm down.

Yes i exaggerated when I said "take an IT course" it was intentional and obvious and you go in the "calm down im not attacking PC gaming" group.

People are attacking you because you sound like a prick.

I just hit level 17 last night. I'm basically doing random quests with
ED-E and Boone
as my companions. I'm loving that tinny sounding victory music I get!

A.CHAP

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
People are attacking you because you sound like a prick.

Thanks for pointing that out, you sound like a really nice chap.

Anyone care to point this prick in the direction of vault 11?

I've just had the warning that I'm at the end of the game already! :'(

I'm not going to do it yet. I'm only level 25, and about 23 hours in. I'm sure there's much more for me to find before I go on to the final quest! :D It really sucks this game didn't learn from Fallout 3 and will just end. Bah!

Also, the NCR mission where you had to
save the president
was amazing.
I just glanced up and saw the sniper body fall from the tower, and then when the second assassin came running at the president I jumped out of my skin and quickly enterted VATS to obliterate his head.
:lol Definitely one of the best moments of the game.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I've just had the warning that I'm at the end of the game already! :'(

I'm not going to do it yet. I'm only level 25, and about 23 hours in. I'm sure there's much more for me to find before I go on to the final quest! :D It really sucks this game didn't learn from Fallout 3 and will just end. Bah!

Buy the open ended ending as DLC!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
As someone who never played a Fallout, should I go with 3 or New Vegas? Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time, but I like the style / setting of NV a little more.

Ermac said:
As someone who never played a Fallout, should I go with 3 or New Vegas? Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time, but I like the style / setting of NV a little more.

If you want to play them both, then start with 3, because you won't be able to go back to 3 after playing NV on Hardcore.

ckohler

Ermac said:
As much as I am enjoying New Vegas, I still prefer Fallout 3 at this point. It's far less glitchy and the locations/quests are far more cohesive and Oblivion like than in New Vegas. Both games (3 and NV) are still very similar, however I think Fallout 3 is a much, much more polished product.

For example, Obsidian (who made New Vegas) has been way sloppy with their dialog trees compared to Bethesda (who made Fallout 3). There have been several times already when I would talk to a character in New Vegas who had dialog options for things I hadn't yet discovered or known about. This was handled far better in Fallout 3. Also, Fallout 3 has a far more epic beginning to the story and more interesting first areas to explore. New Vegas had me kinda bored until hour 10 or so when I finally reached the strip. Then it finally got interesting.

That's my take on New Vegas so far, compared to Fallout 3.

Pooya

duckroll said:
But they've already said they won't be doing that this time! :eek:
I don't believe that, making a DLC with extended ending and increased level cap is the best way to make us pay for DLC. I couldn't care less about rest of FO3 DLCs except Broken Steel, I wouldn't be surprised if Broken Steel sold significantly more than other DLCs.
The game is already packed with side quests, I don't need anymore, I will hit lvl30 long before I'm done with sidequests.

duckroll

miladesn said:
I don't believe that, making a DLC with extended ending and increased level cap is the best way to make us pay for DLC. I couldn't care less about rest of FO3 DLCs except Broken Steel, I wouldn't be surprised if Broken Steel sold significantly more than other DLCs.

Well, they could be lying, or they could be considering a completely different sort of format for DLC. The reason they said they wouldn't be doing what they did in FO3 is that in NV the ending is very, very definite. It is like FO1 and FO2, there are epilogues for every single faction, major location, and companion. It's very clear and covers the period after the game in very definitive terms to show the player the direct results of the actions taken throughout the course of the game.

Shinjitsu

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, they could be lying, or they could be considering a completely different sort of format for DLC. The reason they said they wouldn't be doing what they did in FO3 is that in NV the ending is very, very definite. It is like FO1 and FO2, there are epilogues for every single faction, major location, and companion. It's very clear and covers the period after the game in very definitive terms to show the player the direct results of the actions taken throughout the course of the game.

Courier heads to Shady Sands!

Pooya

duckroll said:

haven't finished the game yet, but can't they just set up an Enclave invasion or something :p , there is always way if they want to.

Yeah, I hope there's a way around it. I hate playing a game and having that final mission always hanging over my head when I've already done it.

It's a convention of open-world games that should've died out long ago. It's just frustrating.

duckroll

miladesn said:
haven't finished the game yet, but can't they just set up an Enclave invasion or something :p , there is always way if they want to.

I'm just telling you what the developers have said, and what I have experienced having finished the game. It is a clear decisive ending which describes what happens in the entire game region (and all the major characters) based on your actions for a significant period of time. Obsidian has said specifically that they will not retcon the ending in any way with DLC, so the only other option if they want to allow the player to keep the character post-game and increase the level cap is to set it in a completely different location without any of the companions in the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think I'll finish up this playthrough doing whatevs and then I will begin a super thorough second playthrough, not entering New Vegas until I have done pretty much every sidequest possible, abusing the
faction forgiveness upon entering New Vegas so that I can finish any sidequest that either side was too mad to let me do previously.
I will stop before entering New Vegas and leave it there until DLC starts rolling in.

Marvie_3

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm just telling you what the developers have said, and what I have experienced having finished the game. It is a clear decisive ending which describes what happens in the entire game region (and all the major characters) based on your actions for a significant period of time. Obsidian has said specifically that they will not retcon the ending in any way with DLC, so the only other option if they want to allow the player to keep the character post-game and increase the level cap is to set it in a completely different location without any of the companions in the game.
BOOOO-URNS!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Finished the Return to Sender quest line last night. Can't say that I was really pleased with the writing in that one.
Chief Hanlon's explanation of his actions sounded more like the ramblings of a senile old man (which may have been intentional) than a plausible and well-considered plan for getting the NCR to pull back from the dam and New Vegas. I let him suicide and felt pretty unsatisfied by the ending of the quest. Not because I felt he didn't deserve to die for attempting to sabotage his own side, but because his explanation of why he did what he did was so rambling and incoherent that I really wanted a dialog option that said something like "were you dropped on your head as a baby or are you suffering from undiagnosed Alzheimers?"

Oddly, my interactions with the McNamara Legion prisoner were much more satisfying. The Legion is as crazy as Hanlon, if not more so, but at least they're -convincingly- crazy. Hanlon's position was basically, well, I think we should pull out, but because I can't convince my political and military leadership of the futility of our position, I'm going to try to set things up so that members of my service branch are sacrificed due to poor tactical planning, which should be enough to convince everyone we should just pack up and go home. Really? I can't believe I ran around like an idiot just for that. -_-

Still liking the game a lot. Just hated the ending of that quest line.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
They really reward silent gun characters. I ended up with the Ratslayer early in the game, and so I've been focusing on stealth, liberating heads from bodies at long range. Because no one's actually SEEN me kill any legionaries, I'm still Neutral with the Legion and the NCR loves me. It's great. :D

KORPAH

Neo Member
doomed1 said:
They really reward silent gun characters. I ended up with the Ratslayer early in the game, and so I've been focusing on stealth, liberating heads from bodies at long range. Because no one's actually SEEN me kill any legionaries, I'm still Neutral with the Legion and the NCR loves me. It's great. :D

Sounds very similar to my plan for my hardcore run through.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
How hard is it to construct one of these radio station mods? Is it as simple as a script just pointing to a directory of mp3 files?

Coverly

The writing in this game and the voice acting is so good. There are some characters that sound flat but whoever voiced Cass got it just right.

Level 9 and I just got Cass in my party and finally found the sniper rifle, but it costs 5000 caps to fix ;_;
Now all I need is a pad to call my own and I'm all set.

Is making ammo easy? How often did you guys make ammo?

Hyunkel6

Coverly said:
It's relatively easy to do. Diassemble a certain type of ammo to get the parts necessary to assemble another type. The game even tells you which specific parts you need. However, to be honest, I never use it. Merchants typically sell a variety of ammo for cheap, and I never found myself running out. I'm sure it's useful for guns that require very rare ammo type, but I haven't find any yet (25 hours in).

Coverly said:
The writing in this game and the voice acting is so good. There are some characters that sound flat but whoever voiced Cass got it just right.

Level 9 and I just got Cass in my party and finally found the sniper rifle, but it costs 5000 caps to fix ;_;
Now all I need is a pad to call my own and I'm all set.

Most bullets are cheap and easily found off stashes or dead enemies. I rarely make ammo but I find myself stockpiling it. At least that was before I had Boone join. o_O

Trickster

GDGF said:
Oh yes. This is what I need!

CONELRAD 640-1240 - Civil Defense Radio looks like the one to pick.

That's the one I'm using as well, very good mod, good songs and the radio host is pretty great also.

avcables

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
It's relatively easy to do. Diassemble a certain type of ammo to get the parts necessary to assemble another type. The game even tells you which specific parts you need. However, to be honest, I never use it. Merchants typically sell a variety of ammo for cheap, and I never found myself running out. I'm sure it's useful for guns that require very rare ammo type, but I haven't find any yet (25 hours in).
And don't forget, if you're playing hardcore, Lead has weight! Lead is a byproduct of disassembling ammo. I had over 46,000 Lead which relates to around 66 in weight.

sdornan

I appreciate games having a shit ton of quests, but not when so many of them are fetch quests.

Every quest in Fallout 3 felt substantial. I didn't mind that there were so few of them because each had such high production values and would ask me to do something new and/or interesting.

I'm kind of losing interest in completing the sidequests in New Vegas. Most of the game's sidequests are designed and structured more like those found in an MMORPG, requiring the player to do little more than fast travel to a location, talk to a guy, then fast travel to the original location for turn-in. So many of them don't even attempt to disguise themselves as anything more than filler.

It's great that Obsidian can say "Our game has hundreds of quests!", but it doesn't mean a damn thing when so many of them are bland and uninspired. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying New Vegas, but Fallout 3 is the better game in my mind.

Wag

Ha! The mods on the official Bethesda "support" forums are locking posts on people who can't get the game to run. :lol Apparently quite a few are pissed and are demanding refunds.

syllogism

sdornan said:
I appreciate games having a shit ton of quests, but not when so many of them are fetch quests.

Every quest in Fallout 3 felt substantial. I didn't mind that there were so few of them because each had such high production values and would ask me to do something new and/or interesting.

I'm kind of losing interest in completing the sidequests in New Vegas. Most of the game's sidequests are designed and structured more like those found in an MMORPG, requiring the player to do little more than fast travel to a location, talk to a guy, then fast travel to the original location for turn-in. So many of them don't even attempt to disguise themselves as anything more than filler.

It's great that Obsidian can say "Our game has hundreds of quests!", but it doesn't mean a damn thing when so many of them are bland and uninspired. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying New Vegas, but Fallout 3 is the better game in my mind.
Really, I thought all (and there were like 10) the F3 quests were terrible. There are obviously a lot of fetch quests, but even they are better than just pointless exploration that constituted 95% of F3. I'm looking at the NV side quest list right now and they appear more substantial than F3 side quests.

KORPAH

Neo Member
Coverly said:

I just buy ammo from the Gun Runners vendor, much easier + if you have a companion, just have them carry all the loot until you get to a vendor and just trade and buy ammo.

sdornan said:

I felt Fallout 3's quests hold your hand too much in comparison to New Vegas. Fallout 3 you complete a quest a certain way (bethesdas way) and continue to the next. I have a lot more options for going about completing quests in New Vegas and depending on what I choose to do, I might not even see certain questlines. The amount of choice you have is unparalleled and Bethesda needs to learn some lessons here.

MaddenNFL64

Darkshier said:
I felt Fallout 3's quests hold your hand too much in comparison to New Vegas. Fallout 3 you complete a quest a certain way (bethesdas way) and continue to the next. I have a lot more options for going about completing quests in New Vegas and depending on what I choose to do, I might not even see certain questlines. The amount of choice you have is unparalleled and Bethesda needs to learn some lessons here.

You could kill everyone, sneak past it all, sequence break like a mutha in FO3. Your quest could start or end so many ways. Not sure what you mean.

If you mean the main story, ya I can see that. You had to fight with the giant robot, had to get certain things. But alot of the game was open.

jax (old)

Banned
restarted with a woman.

sneak
guns
science tags
* CHR 1 and I've boosted some stats at the vegas clinc already

wildwasteland and kamikaze (10 free AP, less Defence) - the AP makes her godly. Very good at doing criticals.

This round, steal shit left and right. Already @ lvl 8, her stealth is 95

You guys know how there was the steal shit with pot video? Apparently
you use R stick, and you can drag big expensive things to the next room and steal them, as long as no one can see you its fine
... :lol :lol :lol

using boone this round and once I got to novac, made my way up to vegas, and then to jacobtown to kill them 50XP cows. :D The duo is so powerful that I also killed the 3 fiends in a very easy stretch. The hidden/critical attack is sooo good. But it only works for 1 enemy though. Still, very very fun.

This round, because I wasn't always wearing NCR armour, I could get into the
NCR correctional facility where the powder gangers are
so the game is playing out a lot differently.

stupei

sdornan said:

Could you specify some of the quests you're referring to that have felt like throw aways to you? That hasn't been my experience at all. I mean at most there's the one
where you have to go find the three prostitutes for the Wrangler, but even then you have to go hunting around in the old factory.

MaddenNFL64 said:
You could kill everyone, sneak past it all, sequence break like a mutha in FO3. Your quest could start or end so many ways. Not sure what you mean.

If you mean the main story, ya I can see that. You had to fight with the giant robot, had to get certain things. But alot of the game was open.

What you're describing is having multiple ways to not complete quests. So far in New Vegas I've had many many times where I've had lots of options on how to complete the quests. It's not just Megaton this time.

jax (old)

Banned
sdornan said:
I'm kind of losing interest in completing the sidequests in New Vegas. Most of the game's sidequests are designed and structured more like those found in an MMORPG, requiring the player to do little more than fast travel to a location, talk to a guy, then fast travel to the original location for turn-in.

i made that comment in my final act/the last 4-5 hours or so was filled with this. RUN TO THIS PLACE. PUT A THING DOWN/DO A THING. FAST TRAVEL BACK. REPORT. zzz

Top Bottom