• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

pulga

Banned
Can't believe it took me 30 hours and 22 levels for me to want to enter the Strip. :lol

If this thing had a new engine, it'd be my GOTY <3

TeTr1C

I felt that some of the quests at Camp Forlorn Hope were just throwaway quests, but those are the only ones so far, 25 hours in. Haven't been to Vegas yet, but I'm slowly creeping up north so it won't be long.

thorin

syllogism said:
Really, I thought all (and there were like 10) the F3 quests were terrible. There are obviously a lot of fetch quests, but even they are better than just pointless exploration that constituted 95% of F3. I'm looking at the NV side quest list right now and they appear more substantial than F3 side quests.
There's 28 main/side quests in F3, not counting unmarked stuff like Andale and the add-on quests. It looks like there's well over twice that in New Vegas though.

I'm only 12 hours in or so, and I still haven't reached the strip. Game's a blast so far and probably my GOTY despite Gamebryo's best efforts to prevent that.

Coxswain

stupei said:
Could you specify some of the quests you're referring to that have felt like throw aways to you? That hasn't been my experience at all. I mean at most there's the one
where you have to go find the three prostitutes for the Wrangler, but even then you have to go hunting around in the old factory.
There's definitely more than a handful of quests that are little more than a five-minute run-around - the ones at Mojave Outpost come to mind, where I think one of them literally boils down to 'walk away from here for a minute or so, kill five ants, and return' and the other is just 'go to Nipton (maybe five minutes away)'.

Having said that though, the vast majority of the game's quests are quite substantial and just in general a lot better than Fallout 3's. They're probably a bit shorter, on average, but that's got more to do with more of them being resolvable through dialogue and less overall reliance on attaching a big dungeon crawl to each one, and not so much to do with having less content/effort put into them. Dialogue is just quicker than fighting; there's no real way around that.

syllogism

thorin said:
There's 28 main/side quests in F3, not counting unmarked stuff like Andale and the add-on quests. It looks like there's well over twice that in New Vegas though.

I'm only 12 hours in or so, and I still haven't reached the strip. Game's a blast so far and probably my GOTY despite Gamebryo's best efforts to prevent that.
There were only 17 real "side quests", and most of them were really underwhelming. Not that NV side quests are better, but at least there's more of them. NV has 78 or so, though you could argue some of them are part of the main quest.

Dresden

The Recharger rifle is such a fucking pea-shooter. Pretty much useless--hell, most of the early energy weapons are. I think I'll go take a quick trip to
REPCONN HQ
for a much better weapon.

Prisen

sdornan said:
I appreciate games having a shit ton of quests, but not when so many of them are fetch quests.

Every quest in Fallout 3 felt substantial. I didn't mind that there were so few of them because each had such high production values and would ask me to do something new and/or interesting.

I'm kind of losing interest in completing the sidequests in New Vegas. Most of the game's sidequests are designed and structured more like those found in an MMORPG, requiring the player to do little more than fast travel to a location, talk to a guy, then fast travel to the original location for turn-in. So many of them don't even attempt to disguise themselves as anything more than filler.

It's great that Obsidian can say "Our game has hundreds of quests!", but it doesn't mean a damn thing when so many of them are bland and uninspired. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying New Vegas, but Fallout 3 is the better game in my mind.

I feel the same way, and the loading times sort of ruins it for me (360 version). I might try it again on PC when I eventually get an ssd disk.

thorin

Yeah, PC loading times are very fast even without an SSD. And I played Fallout 3 on 360 so I definitely notice the difference.

Enco

FO3 for the pc had great loading times but NV on the PS3 has horrible loading.

Every time you enter or leave a building you get a nice loading screen. It can get pretty annoying. Hopefully this gets fixed or even improved upon with a patch.

Dilly

Banned
Legion are such idiots.

Oh look at us, we talk latin with an American accent and we wear fancy armors! I want to slam their head in with the Rebar club everytime I see them.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ok, I am completely stuck on the E-DE quest. Apparently...
some words will give you access to E-DE's Enclave data.
But I have no idea how to make that happen? I spoke to Old Lady Gibson and that's where I got that information from.

TeTr1C

Yeah, I mean, for a game that has a mandatory install, it sure does load a lot. It's not that big of a deal though, as a lot of the info on the loading screens have been insightful.

Is it just me or does the general area around Camp Forlorn Hope take a hell of a lot longer to load than any other area? Not just an isolated incident, every time I go back there I notice it.

Trickster

Dilly said:
Legion are such idiots.

Oh look at us, we talk latin with an American accent and we wear fancy armors! I want to slam their head in with the Rebar club everytime I see them.

And luckily for you, you can! :D

I agree though, the legion concept is dumb

Lakitu said:
Ok, I am completely stuck on the E-DE quest. Apparently...
some words will give you access to E-DE's Enclave data.
But I have no idea how to make that happen? I spoke to Old Lady Gibson and that's where I got that information from.
Have to wait nine days

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Enco said:
Every time you enter or leave a building you get a nice loading screen. It can get pretty annoying. Hopefully this gets fixed or even improved upon with a patch.
Well as long as you backtrack out, the rooms are still loaded into memory and just instantly appear. But yeah, every new area you get into needs to load. I thought that's how it was with every version.

SRG01

So does anyone know why I get insanely more crashes (especially between areas) when I turn up my texture settings? It's kind of ass-y when I have to play it on low just to minimize the crashes.

Also, I seem to get crashes during some firefights for no apparent reason. I strangely had a similar problem in Mass Effect 2 during some shooting sequences, which I fixed by turning off the sound...?

chubigans said:
Well as long as you backtrack out, the rooms are still loaded into memory and just instantly appear. But yeah, every new area you get into needs to load. I thought that's how it was with every version.

I think most buildings are "preloaded" in any given area. It's only if you enter a significantly different section that there's 5 seconds of loading. And that's with a 7200RPM HDD from 2007 or so.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Enco said:
FO3 for the pc had great loading times but NV on the PS3 has horrible loading.

Maybe your PS3 is fucked up, but my load times are pretty short.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Dilly said:
Legion are such idiots.

What accent would you recommend people speak it in. It's kind of a dead language.

Dresden

The Legion's accent is clearly there because those guys, asides from Kai-sar, have no idea what the fuck they're doing. It's LARP, but they actually crucify people (instead of tossing imaginary lightning bolts).

By the way, I'd never have known that the 'romans go home' painted on the side of Cottonwood Cove was from Life of Brian, if it hadn't been for that "Wild Wasteland" prompt.

Dilly

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
What accent would you recommend people speak it in. It's kind of a dead language.

You're missing the point, there are still certain ways to pronounce words in Latin. Speaking Latin with an american accent is just lame.

Dresden said:
The Legion's accent is clearly there because those guys, asides from Kai-sar, have no idea what the fuck they're doing. It's LARP, but they actually crucify people (instead of tossing imaginary lightning bolts).

Pretty much

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hyunkel6 said:
It's relatively easy to do. Diassemble a certain type of ammo to get the parts necessary to assemble another type. The game even tells you which specific parts you need. However, to be honest, I never use it. Merchants typically sell a variety of ammo for cheap, and I never found myself running out. I'm sure it's useful for guns that require very rare ammo type, but I haven't find any yet (25 hours in).

Agreed, I haven't really made much since it's so easy to buy/find. Stupid question here, but is it possible to drop the lead that is used in ammo crafting in the 360 version? I can't seem to find it in my insanely jampacked inventory. Is it under Misc? Does it add weight the same way it does in the PC version (I'm playing hard core).

stupei

I'm loving this game so much that I think it might just be the thing that gets me to eventually buy a copy of Windows 7 to run in Bootcamp on my iMac.

Is anyone here playing the game on a Mac? I haven't attempted any modern games in Bootcamp before, always a little afraid of spending the money just to end up disappointed. New Vegas is the first game that's really made me want to. (I want to mod in more radio stations, damn it. :lol )

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dresden said:
By the way, I'd never have known that the 'romans go home' painted on the side of Cottonwood Cove was from Life of Brian, if it hadn't been for that "Wild Wasteland" prompt.

Fuck yeah I thought that was from Life of Brian :)

Shinjitsu said:
Maybe your PS3 is fucked up, but my load times are pretty short.

For a moment there was a time where the loading screens were definitely becoming longer than I remember them being (I was hanging in Freeside), but yeah, I went back to the 360 Dashboard and restarted and it was back to normal.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I usually find during a long play session that load times increase. You just need to restart.
:lol Yeah, last night I must have put in like a 8 to 10 hour session of discovering locations and hanging out with The King.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Dresden said:

Dilly said:
Pretty much

Then wtf are you bitching about here.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Gooster said:
For a moment there was a time where the loading screens were definitely becoming longer than I remember them being (I was hanging in Freeside), but yeah, I went back to the 360 Dashboard and restarted and it was back to normal.

What does this have to do with PS3 load times?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
I appreciate games having a shit ton of quests, but not when so many of them are fetch quests.

Every quest in Fallout 3 felt substantial. I didn't mind that there were so few of them because each had such high production values and would ask me to do something new and/or interesting.

I'm kind of losing interest in completing the sidequests in New Vegas. Most of the game's sidequests are designed and structured more like those found in an MMORPG, requiring the player to do little more than fast travel to a location, talk to a guy, then fast travel to the original location for turn-in. So many of them don't even attempt to disguise themselves as anything more than filler.

It's great that Obsidian can say "Our game has hundreds of quests!", but it doesn't mean a damn thing when so many of them are bland and uninspired. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying New Vegas, but Fallout 3 is the better game in my mind.
i do not agree with this post.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I enjoy shooting in this game. It doesn't take too much bullets to kill basic folks. Iron sights really add to experience. Gunfights are pretty strategic.

Locations are more thought-out than in FO3. The world feels more alive.

I wonder if 10 agility adds anything to my weapons skills like it supposed to. I use ranged weapons though.

Dresden

subversus said:
I enjoy shooting in this game. It doesn't take too much bullets to kill basic folks. Iron sights really add to experience. Gunfights are pretty strategic.

Locations are more thought-out than in FO3. The world feels more alive.

I wonder if 10 agility adds anything to my weapons skills like it supposed to. I use ranged weapons though.
It adds to Guns, not Energy Weapons.

Ricker

Boone went unconcious and now he`s limping around,I try and give him a stimpak but he doesnt take it...guess I have to find a Doc but I forget where they are...is there one in Goodsprings? is that the only way to fix his limb?

Prisen said:
I feel the same way, and the loading times sort of ruins it for me (360 version). I might try it again on PC when I eventually get an ssd disk.

Here's praying that Obsidian will fix the damn memory leak.

Also is it just me or does the game tear more the longer you play?

Well, I thought I could do it. I told myself that no matter what happened, no matter what Caesar asked of me, I would do it and I would be happy to bring the Legion into Vegas and conquer the whole desert. Everything he asked, every task assigned to me, I did it. But this last one was one step too far. And it has nothing to do with the quest, I had no problem doing what he wanted. But after I did his task, she walked away...

She did everything for me, pulled my ass out of so many tight spots, took on hordes of deathclaws so I could run away and cower like a pansy, annhilated entire encampments of NCR because that was the task I put her too, and she did it all without flinching. She was my best bud, we ran through the desert punching and slashing and smashing everything we came across.

When Caesar told me to destroy the Brotherhood, I knew that Veronica and I were at the end of our adventure. I figured she would get angry when I started killing her brothers and sisters, and maybe attack me, and I would have to kill her. I think I would have been okay with that, and I was prepared for it. But she didnt. She helped me run through the entire place, killed whoever tried to stop us and calmly watched me set the entire bunker to blow. But once outside she just walked away. No goodbye, no yelling and cursing me out for being a monster, just complete and utter disregard for me. "Add me to your checklist of targets, because I'm done with you" or something like that. No anger, no rage, just pity and disgust at what my character had become. And now I feel like there is not a single shred of humanity left in my poor Courier.

I really don't think I want to keep going with the Legion side of things but I'm probably only a handful of missions from endgame. I'll probably just power through things as fast as I can and then reroll a new character. And this time I'm going to set out a plan ahead of time to figure out how I am going to react to situations and to other characters. This time was just blind allegiance to Legion and I am not happy with how it turned out.

Daft_Cat

I love the idea of Bathesda's Fallout games..but for the life of me I just couldn't get into three.

I gave it a couple of chances and never got past the 5 hour mark...although ironically I hear it begins to pick up shortly after that.

With that in mind, New Vegas has me really intrigued..and I welcome moral ambiguity, and the chance to have an awesome RPG that will keep me entertained for 100+ hours, plus a stream of great DLC. The only thing I'm worried about is the wasteland..I'm not a huge fan of Western settings...Red Dead for example..pretty cool game..but after a while I just wasn't compelled to go back..mostly due to the setting..although I find that happens a lot with R* games so who knows.

What does GAF think?

EDIT

Im also a fan of Obsidian..I loved KOTOR 2..but then again, I fell madly in love with KOTOR 1 as well..I never felt that level of immersion in Fallout 3.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
Thank you both for your constructive criticism.
No problem. About criticism i figured there wasnt really a point in bringing up a detailed response if you think that most of the games quests are like MMO quests.

Just had a fucking epic 3 way fight with Jackal Gang members, soldier and worker ants, and small radscorpions. Some really hair-raising moments for my little level 6 dude, but man, it was one of those gaming moments. The sounds are awesome, and this game fucking ROCKS!

Mmmmm more ....

Top Bottom