• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Shinjitsu

Banned
njean777 said:
'I wonder if it is for everybody on ps3 then? I posted a post ont heir bug forums for ps3, so they may see that. But yeah kinda pisses me off since i wanted to complete those quests, guess ill side with the NCR for this playthrough since they are bugged.

I finished the faction quest just fine on PS3.

duckroll

HadesGigas said:
Man I love how when you loot mantis forelegs it actually shows them being ripped off the body and making a gross bug squish noise.

That scared the hell out of me the first time it happened. Good thing I got used to the sudden explosive gib sound too, because the same thing happens when you loot the heads off the Fiend bosses you need to kill for the bounties. :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Can you skip portions of the main story like you could with Fallout 3? Has anyone tried going straight from Goodsprings to New Vegas for example?

Trickster

Just started messing with mods for the game today, and even though the game new and mod community hasn't had much time to make stuff yet, it's already making me sad that I bought Fallout 3 for the 360 instead of pc.

Wallach

Ikuu said:
Can you skip portions of the main story like you could with Fallout 3? Has anyone tried going straight from Goodsprings to New Vegas for example?

One of my friends skipped a decent chunk of the main quest, yes.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just god bless Obsidian for existing. I'm level 20 now, STILL haven't gotten into the strip, approaching 40 hours playtime, nearly 30 quest complete, 5 or 6 companions recruited and not even remotely tired of the game. Man do I wish more CRPG's of this caliber were released.

duckroll

Btw, I have a question about the ending:

In my epilogue, when it showed ED-E, it was just him beeping and bopping. But I checked a wikia entry for the ending narrations, and there are a bunch of possible narrations for ED-E there. What gives? Did anyone get an actual narration for his post-end story?

Kinan

So i was playing at my friends place for like 15 hours over the last week without any problems and was wondering why people complain about bugs. And yesterday we went to Brotherhood of Steel, talked with the boss, got a task, but immediately after the loading I got stuck. I mean, I'm not really stuck into something, but I can not move an inch. I can rotate in one place, but even my interface is gone and pipboy doesnot appear. :( Tried some console codes, but even after teleporting to quest location I still can not fucking move.
Any ideas?

Ponti

Kinan said:
So i was playing at my friends place for like 15 hours over the last week without any problems and was wondering why people complain about bugs. And yesterday we went to Brotherhood of Steel, talked with the boss, got a task, but immediately after the loading I got stuck. I mean, I'm not really stuck into something, but I can not move an inch. I can rotate in one place, but even my interface is gone and pipboy doesnot appear. :( Tried some console codes, but even after teleporting to quest location I still can not fucking move.
Any ideas?
Try the 'closeallmenus' console command if you haven't already. If that doesn't work try 'togglemenus'.

Trickster

duckroll said:
Btw, I have a question about the ending:

In my epilogue, when it showed ED-E, it was just him beeping and bopping. But I checked a wikia entry for the ending narrations, and there are a bunch of possible narrations for ED-E there. What gives? Did anyone get an actual narration for his post-end story?

he didn't talk in my epilogue either, maybe it depends on whether or not you complete ed-e's questline? I didn't complete it

duckroll

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Quoting for a new page. Anyone help me on this?

Boone's quest is kinda like Arcade's quest. It can either be very easily triggered or a total pain in the neck (or impossible) to trigger depending on what you have already done. It makes sense because of the specific affiliation of both characters, but it can be annoying. Basically, you need Boone to be in your party when you do certain quests in the game. Based on whether what you do on those quests align with his pro-NCR/anti-Legion heroic mindset, he will begin to trust you more and option up dialog options in each encounter. Once you have enough of his trust the quest itself will start with him initiating a dialog with you.

I never got his quest in my playthrough because I didn't have him with me when I did pretty much all the possible trigger points, except for the town east of Novac. I did that one with him, but I chose to kill the soldiers instead of saving them.

Basically if you have Boone in your party and you do a bunch of anti-Legion quests and pro-NCR quests (like killing the Legion guy in McCarren, killing the spy, killing Vulpus, saving the crucified NCR troops, helping the Powder Gangers who are captured by the Legion, etc) eventually he should be close enough to you to tell you more about his past.

duckroll

Trickster said:
he didn't talk in my epilogue either, maybe it depends on whether or not you complete ed-e's questline? I didn't complete it

I complete his quest. I wonder if this is a case of needing subtitles on...

duckroll said:
Boone's quest is kinda like Arcade's quest. It can either be very easily triggered or a total pain in the neck (or impossible) to trigger depending on what you have already done. It makes sense because of the specific affiliation of both characters, but it can be annoying. Basically, you need Boone to be in your party when you do certain quests in the game. Based on whether what you do on those quests align with his pro-NCR/anti-Legion heroic mindset, he will begin to trust you more and option up dialog options in each encounter. Once you have enough of his trust the quest itself will start with him initiating a dialog with you.

I never got his quest in my playthrough because I didn't have him with me when I did pretty much all the possible trigger points, except for the town east of Novac. I did that one with him, but I chose to kill the soldiers instead of saving them.

Basically if you have Boone in your party and you do a bunch of anti-Legion quests and pro-NCR quests (like killing the Legion guy in McCarren, killing the spy, killing Vulpus, saving the crucified NCR troops, helping the Powder Gangers who are captured by the Legion, etc) eventually he should be close enough to you to tell you more about his past.

Ah, thank you very much. I just checked the wiki and you're spot on. I could see a lot of people not getting his quest at all.

falloutnv20101029200918.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am at work right now--I can't wait to go back home and fire up my 360 to play this game ;_;

But a casual stroll to the official Fallout NV community in Bethesda's site seriously dampen my mood. I am talking about the abundance of topics crying about bugs and glitches. They make it sound like this game is a completely broken mess and both Bethesda + Obsidian couldn't care less about their plight.

This worries me greatly since Xbox Live for me is out of the question (due to the general shitness of Internet connection in my country) so I cannot get any future patches. I suspect that I am not the only one with this problem.... I can only hope that I do not encounter any truly game-breaking bugs (the bit about people losing their saved games after 42 hours of playing is truly scary.)

I should be excited about playing this, not worried... Damn it.

Ledsen

Shinjitsu said:
Thank you whoever pointed out that lead weight, it freed up over 65lbs of inventory for me!

Why do you guys have so much lead? Where do you get it? I don't have any lead at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Laughing Banana said:
I am at work right now--I can't wait to go back home and fire up my 360 to play this game ;_;

But a casual stroll to the official Fallout NV community in Bethesda's site seriously dampen my mood. I am talking about the abundance of topics crying about bugs and glitches. They make it sound like this game is a completely broken mess and both Bethesda + Obsidian couldn't care less about their plight.

This worries me greatly since Xbox Live for me is out of the question (due to the general shitness of Internet connection in my country) so I cannot get any future patches. I suspect that I am not the only one with this problem.... I can only hope that I do not encounter any truly game-breaking bugs (the bit about people losing their saved games after 42 hours of playing is truly scary.)

It depends on how you play. It's quite possible to finish the game without encountering a game breaking bug, but whether or not that prevents you from doing something you want to do is a whole other issue.

Of course all the PC players can just bring up the console and fix any problems they have...

firehawk12 said:
It depends on how you play. It's quite possible to finish the game without encountering a game breaking bug, but whether or not that prevents you from doing something you want to do is a whole other issue.

Of course all the PC players can just bring up the console and fix any problems they have...

Doesn't really depend on how you play at all, it's luck of the draw, Vegas baby!

And console can't fix every problem, but yeah, it helps.

eshwaaz

firehawk12 said:

Unfortunately for many of us, the 2 other platforms they released the game for have no such workaround for Obsidian's sloppiness. I encountered more bugs, glitches and forced reloads in 8 hours of New Vegas than I did in 110 hours of Fallout 3. There is some great content here for sure, but the game really is a mess. I'm enjoying it when it's not actively preventing me from doing so, which has been far too frequent.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:

There are also already several mods which specifically fix broken quest scripts and/or other bugs in the game which have yet to be corrected. :)

Solo

So I randomly discover Vault 11 and decide to explore it. Yeah, I pretty much shit my pants when I made it to the final room, took a seat and heard
"welcome, martyr". And of course the exit was now locked
:lol

Wallach

Solo said:
So I randomly discover
Vault 11 and decide to explore it. Yeah, I pretty much shit my pants when I made it to the final room, took a seat and heard "welcome, martyr". And of course the exit was now locked
:lol

Should probably spoiler a tad more of that for other folks' sake (just IMO).

But yeah, that has to rank among my top video game moments of all time. The whole place is fucking amazing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
eshwaaz said:
Unfortunately for many of us, the 2 other platforms they released the game for have no such workaround for Obsidian's sloppines. I encountered more bugs, glitches and forced reloads in 8 hours of New Vegas than I did in 110 hours of Fallout 3. There is some great content here for sure, but the game really is a mess. I'm enjoying it when it's not actively preventing me from doing so, which has been far too frequent.

Oh, I lost about 2 hours of progress just from clipping issues. I know it's impossible to make a polished open world game, but I almost wish the console versions came with cheats as well. :lol

HadesGigas said:
Doesn't really depend on how you play at all, it's luck of the draw, Vegas baby!
Well, the 360 patch broke sending companions to the Lucky 38 so... yeah!

And console can't fix every problem, but yeah, it helps.
duckroll said:
There are also already several mods which specifically fix broken quest scripts and/or other bugs in the game which have yet to be corrected. :)
PC Master Race confirmed. Too bad I'm too lazy to play games on my PC now. :(

A.CHAP

Banned
PC Master Race confirmed. Too bad I'm too lazy to play games on my PC now. :(

Im going that way. Sure you have access to all sorts of fixes on PC but I dont want to sign up for an IT course and spend ages messing with files in order to play my games.

Where can I find this "vault 11" everyone seems so excited about? Sounds like its worth a visit.

duckroll

A.CHAP said:
Im going that way. Sure you have access to all sorts of fixes on PC but I dont want to sign up for an IT course and spend ages messing with files in order to play my games.

Pro-tip: Talking out of your ass is a good way to get your ass kicked around here.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A.CHAP said:
...it's really not that hard.

A.CHAP said:

Where can I find this "vault 11" everyone seems so excited about? Sounds like its worth a visit.

sorry that cutting and pasting files is beyond your computer comprehension skills.

Damn, I haven't spent so many time in a game for ages. 30 hours in a single week. Completed the game (
independent Vegas thanks to Yes Man
). Wasn't really a combat guy, but could talk myself out of many fights.

Now for a second time, teaming up with the Legion. And not picking the perk that shows everything on the map. That was a mistake.

A.CHAP

Banned
duckroll said:
Pro-tip: Talking out of your ass is a good way to get your ass kicked around here.

Wow. The snobbery here is shocking. Is it really hard for you people to understand that some of us are less familiar with computers than others?

Actually quite pathetc some of these comments. I am picturing Gaffers sitting in the dark of there basements in 7 day old underpants sniggering at there computers.

Vault 11?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I guess hacking is kind of annoying at times in Fallout so he is applying that to real world computing?

THE FILE YOU NEED TO HOTFIX NEW VEGAS COULD BE NAMED ANYONE OF THESE RANDOM WORDS.

Lmao, sorry we take offense to you not being able to do 2 minutes of internet research to find a couple files to fix random glitches and literally copy paste them all into the same folder. And you might not even have to go find these files anyways. And these are glitches that will be present on the 360/PS3 version as well and they will either never be fixed or you will have to wait a long ass time.

Must not be nice.

Question about Hardin and the Brotherhood of Steel:

So I found all of the holotapes, went to all of the vaults, found the scouts etc, all the while helping Hardin to overthrow the leader. The quest was completed and he said to come back after a few days. I've waited for about two weeks outside, done a couple of quests inbetween, and whenever I go back nothing has changed. I'm at the point where the NCR want me to wipe out the BoS so unless this triggers and it changes something, I'll have no choice but to do it. Has it glitched on me?

Cheech

Laughing Banana said:

Did you break the shrink wrap?

Because, yeah, the game is a completely broken mess.

There have been very, very few console games that "broke" on me, not allowing me to finish them. In fact, there have been so few, I can list them all right now:

Ultima Ascension
Pirates of the Caribbean (Xbox, another fine Bethesda published bugpile)
Dark Messiah/Might and Magic (Xbox 360)
Fallout New Vegas

Out of literally tens of thousands of games I've played on PC and a variety of consoles, those are the four games that managed to bug up so badly, I could not physically complete them.

I returned my copy of the game to Amazon yesterday hoping for the best, but we'll see. I keep checking this thread, in the hopes that they whipped together an emergency patch that gets the game to the point of playability. When I go back to it (and I will, until it broke I was having an amazing time), it will be on PC so I can fix things when then go south on me. Even if it's a year from now and the community patches the game for Bethesda, I'll be patient.

Cheech

A.CHAP said:
Wow. The snobbery here is shocking. Is it really hard for you people to understand that some of us are less familiar with computers than others?

Actually quite pathetc some of these comments. I am picturing Gaffers sitting in the dark of there basements in 7 day old underpants sniggering at there computers.

Vault 11?

Simmer down. GAF as a whole has collectively lost patience with people who troll PC gaming. It happens a lot here. Your comment came off as trollish at worst, uneducated at best. You also have to realize that there is a huge IT community here, who put up with idiots all day long at work, and don't necessarily have the patience with people who throw flamebait around. If you ask your questions respectfully and don't come off as a douche, you'll get a response in kind.

Thanks to Steam/Google, there's really no reason PC gaming is any more complicated than console gaming. We've come a long way from setting jumpers on sound cards to address I/O conflicts. :lol

duckroll

A.CHAP said:

The only thing pathetic here is that you talked out of your ass to make some gross exaggeration, probably thinking you were pretty smart while doing it, and when it bites you in the ass you call other people snobs. Sickening really. Want to apologize?

A.CHAP

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I guess hacking is kind of annoying at times in Fallout so he is applying that to real world computing?

THE FILE YOU NEED TO HOTFIX NEW VEGAS COULD BE NAMED ANYONE OF THESE RANDOM WORDS.

Lmao, sorry we take offense to you not being able to do 2 minutes of internet research to find a couple files to fix random glitches and literally copy paste them all into the same folder. And you might not even have to go find these files anyways. And these are glitches that will be present on the 360/PS3 version as well and they will either never be fixed or you will have to wait a long ass time.

Must not be nice.

Im playing this on PC. Having never done the sort of tinkering you refer to I dont know how long it takes or what it involves, and im not interested in finding out. When I get time to play a game I just want to play. Im sorry to have caused "offense" (wierd).

Top Bottom