• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Halycon said:
Pretty sure there's an option to tell them to wait until you engage.

Not sure if it works because Boone kills everything before I see them and that's just the way I like it.

They seem to disobey that order whenever they want. I had to chase down Cass through Vault 22 because she kept pulling out her knife (another thing they ignore your call on) and was running around like a maniac looking for things to kill.

Dresden

HadesGigas said:
They seem to disobey that order whenever they want. I had to chase down Cass through Vault 22 because she kept pulling out her knife (another thing they ignore your call on) and was running around like a maniac looking for things to kill.
It's really annoying when you just want to run away and your companions charge into a mob of enemies.

===

Science is great. Not so much for how useful it is (although it certainly is), but rather for all the extra information you get from the locked terminals.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ledsen said:
I did the generate custom .dll thing before and didn't notice a performance difference compared to the normal Nvidia version of the .dll (I'm on a HD5650 mobile).
What card did you set? I've generated dll for 8800gs (for 5770) and everything runs fine.

Wallach

I need to sit down and figure out exactly what the difficulty setting actually modifies. From what I can tell it really only seems to be damage dealt and damage received, but it doesn't seem like it's using F3's values.

Fredescu

Does anyone know where the Camp McCaren guy is that gives the Vault 3 quest? I got it, but then had to reload a save, and now I can't find him again. The wiki doesn't seem to mention the quest giver, but I'm sure he wanted me to save someone from there. Driving me nuts.

Dresden

Fredescu said:
Does anyone know where the Camp McCaren guy is that gives the Vault 3 quest? I got it, but then had to reload a save, and now I can't find him again. The wiki doesn't seem to mention the quest giver, but I'm sure he wanted me to save someone from there. Driving me nuts.
Hsu should be on the left side of that giant building, lower floor, first room to the left when you enter from the leftmost door.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fredescu said:

Dr. Williams? He tells you to go to Vault 22 for the quest There Stands the Grass.

Started a new character, got to Primm, literally just panned camera left and locked up. So frustrating. Wasn't even loading or anything, just froze.

Archer

Deathclaws are a real bitch. Using a new sniper rifle, and my bud is using the
All American
that's been fixed up, both of us with
reinforced combat armor
, and we're getting owned. I emptied a full box of 5mm of the Minigun into a Deathclaw and he kept coming at me. Was a cool moment, but again, pwnd.

Aesius

Archer said:
All American
reinforced combat armor
, and we're getting owned. I emptied a full box of 5mm of the Minigun into a Deathclaw and he kept coming at me. Was a cool moment, but again, pwnd.

It sucks now, but it's so satisfying once you're strong enough to drop them from 200 feet away.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Archer said:
All American
reinforced combat armor

Go for the legs first, that deals with their crazy speed and lunging attacks, then it's just a matter of picking them apart.

Remember this isn't Fallout 3, VATS -> headshot isn't the solution to every fight.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Archer said:
All American
reinforced combat armor

They become your bitch when you've got a high enough damage with a weapon to take them out with one shot. I can currently one shot them but I'm at level 30
I use a Gauss Rifle from far off with a 90 Energy Weapon skill
. I'm not sure if Energy Weapons disregard their high DT but it seems effective against them.

Wallach

BlueTsunami said:
They become your bitch when you've got a high enough damage with a weapon to take them out with one shot. I can currently one shot them but I'm at level 30
I use a Gauss Rifle from far off with a 90 Energy Weapon skill
. I'm not sure if Energy Weapons disregard their high DT but it seems effective against them.

Energy weapons don't have any effect on their raw DT, no.

If you don't have the means to launch a very high-powered alpha strike against them, I would suggest attacking from a point that will force it/them into a narrow choke and lay explosives around the choke point. Crippling their legs will make them much easier to handle. Bear in mind that they are rather perceptive and if given a wide maneuvering path they tend to route around placed explosives in pursuit of you.

Dresden

I think Gomorrah has to have the loosest slots in the game. I spent thirty minutes in Atomic Wrangler only to walk out with 10k after giving up; then I go to Gomorrah, spin six times, hit triple oranges and grab 32k in about a minute. Happened this way for my other character, as well.

Bebpo

Banned
daoster said:
Any mod to make you run faster yet? Cause sometimes...the run speed...annoys the hell out of me.

Get the speed glasses mod. They're in the footlocker at the front entrance of doc mitchel's house. Use the 400 speed one and duck while moving if it's still too fast.

So, I haven't gotten the game yet, I really want to play it but I think I'll wait until some more patches come out.

My brother is (was?) playing the game on 360 and his auto-save got corrupted. No big deal, he has a normal save like 2 seconds apart. Right? Well, every time he loads it up and talks to this guy to continue the quest, the game crashes.

Yeah, I'll wait.

dwebo

Dresden said:
I think Gomorrah has to have the loosest slots in the game. I spent thirty minutes in Atomic Wrangler only to walk out with 10k after giving up; then I go to Gomorrah, spin six times, hit triple oranges and grab 32k in about a minute. Happened this way for my other character, as well.
Hmm, come to think of it, that's where my high luck guy won 32k on slots too. I thought all those npcs were just making a sexual reference :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I was on a quest to gather things for this guy. I gather all these parts, then the guy turns on me, I kill him and complete the quest and loot his body. I get the parts back since they can be resold for about 15 a pop, go to a merchant...and don't see them in my sell menu. Try to drop them, and it says they're quest items that cannot be dropped. And all 12 of these things weigh 1 point apiece.

Guess that's 12 points of inventory I'm never getting back. :\

GDGF

Soothsayer
Think I'm finally near New Vegas. Just got to the Crimson Caravan and Freeside. Just met my first group of Kings. I think they're my kind of people :lol

NCR still wont let me use their
emergency radio
. Even though I've done more quests to improve my standing with them they consider me neutral. Fine. If it comes down to a decision to stand with the Kings or the NCR, I know who I'm siding with :)

Sinatar

Just beat the game. Hit lvl 30 about 20 hours before actually finishing it (final playtime almost 50 hours on the button), explored pretty much every single place I could find, cleared my quest log of everything but the find talent one (couldn't find the 4th act) and had an absolute blast the whole way through.

I'll have to ponder it a bit, but I think this is my GOTY. For reference I fucking hated Fallout 3 with a fiery vengeance.

Also I think these have to be the longest credits in the history of anything.

NoRéN

Sinatar said:
Just beat the game. Hit lvl 30 about 20 hours before actually finishing it (final playtime almost 50 hours on the button), explored pretty much every single place I could find, cleared my quest log of everything but the find talent one (couldn't find the 4th act) and had an absolute blast the whole way through.

I'll have to ponder it a bit, but I think this is my GOTY. For reference I fucking hated Fallout 3 with a fiery vengeance.

Also I think these have to be the longest credits in the history of anything.
Glad to see that despite not liking Fallout 3, you gave this a fair chance.

So, any specific main quests available only by siding with the Legion? I want to know because I don't think I want to be a bad guy. I mean, I guess I'm one of those people that plays as the character. I play as a good guy because that's who i am. I'' pull over and help you if i see you on the side of the road. I'll even give you a ride to the nearest gas station if you run out of gas. But, if I find out during our small talk that you are selling secrets to the commies or slavers, I am not against leading you to the nearest dinosaur statue and putting a red beret on.

Sinatar

NoRéN said:
Glad to see that despite not liking Fallout 3, you gave this a fair chance.

So, any specific main quests available only by siding with the Legion? I want to know because I don't think I want to be a bad guy. I mean, I guess I'm one of those people that plays as the character. I play as a good guy because that's who i am. I'' pull over and help you if i see you on the side of the road. I'll even give you a ride to the nearest gas station if you run out of gas. But, if I find out during our small talk that you are selling secrets to the commies or slavers, I am not against leading you to the nearest dinosaur statue and putting a red beret on.

There are 4 main roads to the end depending on what faction you side with, so yes there are several missions that are only available to the legion (and the NCR, and House and... the other.)

I'm actually fairly new to mods so I would like to know the top 3 mods for New Vegas on the PC. (Not including the d3d9 patch.)

Edit: Do mods disable achievements?

duckroll

ashbash159 said:
I'm actually fairly new to mods so I would like to know the top 3 mods for New Vegas on the PC. (Not including the d3d9 patch.)

No, they do not disable achievements. I would recommend MTUI as a must, along with fixes like the Veronica leveling fix, and the Caravan Card fix. Other mods will depend on what sort of enhancement you want your game to have. I went with better headshots. Oh and there's a mod which also improves inventory sorting which is awesome. It labels all books, mags, and mods are such, so instead of being all over your inventory, all books, mags and mods are sorted together with the right prefix.

MTUI: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34902
Veronica leveling: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35124
Caravan fix: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34855
Inventory sorting: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34950

@duckroll Thanks!

Edit: Also trying out the Western Sky mod.

I have an issue with "ED-E My Love" mission. I am doing it quite late into the game. Because when talking to the first woman you should didn't work, I was told to speak to the scientist in Helios One. That made ED-E talk a recording. However now my quest log is stuck and it doesn't think I have spoken to ED-E. I tried also speaking to the scientist in Jacobstown and the effect that is meant to happen does not happen. I don't think I can do anything now.

Wallach

ashbash159 said:
@duckroll Thanks!

I have an issue with "ED-E My Love" mission. I am doing it quite late into the game. Because when talking to the first woman you should didn't work, I was told to speak to the scientist in Helios One. That made ED-E talk a recording. However now my quest log is stuck and it doesn't think I have spoken to ED-E. I tried also speaking to the scientist in Jacobstown and the effect that is meant to happen does not happen. I don't think I can do anything now.

It's not "stuck", exactly.

ED-E unlocked that recording because it "heard a keyword" spoken by the NPC. You may try speaking to Old Lady Gibson at the scrapyard or other folks while ED-E is tagging along with you. I've also heard that just waiting in certain areas like around the scrapyard for like 24 hours (using the wait command) can also trigger them, but not in my experience.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Damnit. Almost level 23 now and haven't been to the strip yet. I MUST get in there in my next session, jesus.

Wallach said:
It's not "stuck", exactly.

ED-E unlocked that recording because it "heard a keyword" spoken by the NPC. You may try speaking to Old Lady Gibson at the scrapyard or other folks while ED-E is tagging along with you. I've also heard that just waiting in certain areas like around the scrapyard for like 24 hours (using the wait command) can also trigger them, but not in my experience.
I've tried many combinations of what you have said and what others have said on other websites but I think I messed it up even way after doing things and other things which other people have not done when mentioning fixes for this quest.

_tetsuo_ said:
Damnit. Almost level 23 now and haven't been to the strip yet. I MUST get in there in my next session, jesus.
What have you been doing?

I'm level 22 and I went to the strip in around 5 hours of gameplay. Nowhere near level 23 at 5 hours in.

BeeDog

I hope someone can help me out with the "Come Fly With Me" quest (spoilers):

I have come to the part where I have to help the human who thinks he is a ghoul to collect spare parts for the rockets. There is a speech check to convince the guy he's not a ghoul, and I assume he will want to take some form of revenge. Can someone spoil me the possible outcomes of the quest (specifically in regards to reputation and rewards)?

Ledsen

subversus said:
What card did you set? I've generated dll for 8800gs (for 5770) and everything runs fine.

I thought the purpose of the dll generator was to generate a dll file for your ownd card? It says "ATI 5600/5700" or something like that in the launcher after I made one (I have a 5650).

Ledsen

ashbash159 said:

The absolute best one:

4GB/stutter fix
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35262

A couple of other awesome ones:

Radio New Vegas Extender
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35344

Better Binoculars
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34715

edit: eh... I didn't notice I answered twice in a row -_-

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ashbash159 said:

I'm level 22 and I went to the strip in around 5 hours of gameplay. Nowhere near level 23 at 5 hours in.

I've been wandering around completing quest and exploring. I've got 30 quest done and around 100 places discovered. The last few days I've been telling myself "i'll just finish these few things up and then I'll go in" but those few things always lead me far off and into another few things to do :lol

Nose Master

Well. Vault 22 is cool and all, but
I'd like to leave now. I got my data for Veronica. I made the mistake of talking to Keely, and now she wants to torch the place. I figured I'd just leave her down there, but the entrance/exit is now locked. Ugh. Can I just kill her, or do I have to do this quest now, which seems to be bugged. The cave door on level 2 is obviously the one you have to go into after ignition, but, I can't override it via the overseers panel nor the panel in front of the door. Fuck this god damn prison of a vault.

classicdms

Neo Member
Restarted my game because I was having trouble maining Energy Weapons early on. Switched to melee and feel as though the game is moving a lot faster now that I'm not popping into VATS any time there's a fight to be had.

Anyway, Sunny Smiles glitched on me in the right after giving me a quest and now most of the beginning town quests are locked because she isn't in town.

Guessing there's no way to fix this?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
classicdms said:
Restarted my game because I was having trouble maining Energy Weapons early on. Switched to melee and feel as though the game is moving a lot faster now that I'm not popping into VATS any time there's a fight to be had.

Anyway, Sunny Smiles glitched on me in the right after giving me a quest and now most of the beginning town quests are locked because she isn't in town.

Side with the Powder Gangers.

Wallach

classicdms said:

Which quest did it break on before you lost her?

ashbash159 said:

just wanted to add I'm almost 20 hours in and have not seen the strip yet.

There's a lotta wasteland to explore out there!

Plus hard mode means lots of exploring and dying at strange new things that one shot kill you.

This game is so good. Might even be up to Fallout/Fallout 2 standards. I know there's problems, but I love it so bad.

Also as a 360 player 20 hours in I have had zero crashes. I know that's not typical but just saying. (still, crossing my fingers)

Dresden

Grabbed the unique plasma rifle out of REPCONN HQ, destroyed Vault 3. Went up two levels, to level 11, in the meantime. Turning people to goop=awesome. Can't wait to get Meltdown.

duckroll

Okay, I just discovered a pretty big oversight in the ending. For anyone who does not want to lose out on anything in the ending epilogue, I suggest turning ON general subtitles before you complete the game. It's off by default for good reason, but in the epilogue, ED-E's beeps and blops actually have story elements, it's just subbed instead. With general subtitles off you will just hear beeps and blops missing out the entire epilogue for ED-E. :/

Okay, this sucks.
I'm a member of the Brotherhood, with Hardin as its head, and that NCR Colonel just tasked me with blowing them up. Instead, I want to negotiate a truce, but the option never comes up. Apparently, it's only possible if you keep McNamara as elder... What the heck, Obsidian.

Top Bottom