• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

duckroll

Blue Ninja said:
Okay, this sucks.
I'm a member of the Brotherhood, with Hardin as its head, and that NCR Colonel just tasked me with blowing them up. Instead, I want to negotiate a truce, but the option never comes up. Apparently, it's only possible if you keep McNamara as elder... What the heck, Obsidian.

You installed a hardliner into power and you expect to be able to make a truce? Good job! :)

Ventrue

duckroll said:
You installed a hardliner into power and you expect to be able to make a truce? Good job! :)

I don't really agree with that.
There's some dialogue that hints he'd be more open to it. He talks about how MacNamarra is short sighted and closed off, and how they need to go back into the world. I chose to just blow em up, but I really got the impression that Hardin was the only way to get them as allies, certainly not the other way around.

On a somewhat related noted,
how the hell do you do that quest to fix the computer virus in there? You have to fix three terminals but most time I couldn't even get one before the time was up. Is there a trick to it?

Ventrue said:
I don't really agree with that.
There's some dialogue that hints he'd be more open to it. He talks about how MacNamarra is short sighted and closed off, and how they need to go back into the world. I chose to just blow em up, but I really got the impression that Hardin was the only way to get them as allies, certainly not the other way around.
Exactly.
I'd have though Hardin would've been more open to it, seeing as McNamara was content with just cowering in a hole. Hardin's not a hardliner, he wanted his people to see the light of day again: make them stronger. A truce with the NCR would certainly do that.

duckroll

Oh, then I suppose it could indeed be a missing script bug.
Sorry for the lack of sympathy, but I wiped the Brotherhood out after they killed the Followers in Veronica's quest. I did it while I was in the process of helping Hardin overthrow McNamura too, so I never really got a full understanding of what sort of leader he would be. Lolz.

Ventrue said:
On a somewhat related noted,
how the hell do you do that quest to fix the computer virus in there? You have to fix three terminals but most time I couldn't even get one before the time was up. Is there a trick to it?

I think this quest is semi-bugged.
If you partition terminals without completing the quest the first time and try to do the quest again, the partitioned terminal(s) will remain partitioned but the quest won't acknowledge it making it impossible to complete. I had to reload when I realized what was happening, and I got all 3 terminals in one go before time ran out to complete it.

duckroll said:
Oh, then I suppose it could indeed be a missing script bug.
Sorry for the lack of sympathy, but I wiped the Brotherhood out after they killed the Followers in Veronica's quest. I did it while I was in the process of helping Hardin overthrow McNamura too, so I never really got a full understanding of what sort of leader he would be. Lolz.
I had Veronica stay with the Brotherhood, so they never went around to killing the Followers.
I think it must be a missing script,
the game doesn't even give you a chance to talk Hardin into a truce. I'd expect to be able to at least mention it, especially with a high Speech skill.

duckroll

Blue Ninja said:
I had Veronica stay with the Brotherhood, so they never went around to killing the Followers.
I think it must be a missing script,
the game doesn't even give you a chance to talk Hardin into a truce. I'd expect to be able to at least mention it, especially with a high Speech skill.

Yeah, definitely sounds like they missed something there. >_<

Damn Obsidian.
Now I've got a choice between nuking my own guys, or stalling the story forever. Guess I know which Elder to keep in power during my next playthrough...

NoRéN

BeeDog said:
I hope someone can help me out with the "Come Fly With Me" quest (spoilers):

I have come to the part where I have to help the human who thinks he is a ghoul to collect spare parts for the rockets. There is a speech check to convince the guy he's not a ghoul, and I assume he will want to take some form of revenge. Can someone spoil me the possible outcomes of the quest (specifically in regards to reputation and rewards)?
you can convince him to help them and then return to Novac and be a human again. Or he can exact revenge. At least for me, getting him to help them and then leave for Novac got me Idolized in Novac.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
NoRéN said:
you can convince him to help them and then return to Novac and be a human again. Or he can exact revenge. At least for me, getting him to help them and then leave for Novac got me Idolized in Novac.

I managed to convince him to go to Novac, but after the rockets launched, he just stayed in the control room saying he was too busy with launch prep to be bothered. :(

NoRéN

DarthWoo said:
I managed to convince him to go to Novac, but after the rockets launched, he just stayed in the control room saying he was too busy with launch prep to be bothered. :(
But, you got the karma boost, right?

jax (old)

Banned
my evil/sneak run... um.. observations.

level 16. got the sniper rifle and with boone, + action girl, I'm wiping out people left and right.

killed house

killed caesar

will kill BOS/khan/boomers/NCR/mutants

basically I'm going to kill everyone so will see how the game then ends. :) The only thing about all this? I'm losing all oppourtunities to gain EXP but we're almost at a point where I don't need more. The snifer rifle is ridiculously overpowered.

best thing I've gotten from this thread? The sleeping 24hour + Shop restock thing. This really is a godsend.

duckroll

DarthWoo said:

Then you did it correctly. Some characters just tend to like to stay around in the quest area after finishing it. It could be a bug, or they could just be taking a long time before deciding to move. It doesn't really matter either way.

Trickster

Wow, apparently you can't get the unique Gauss Rifle if you have the wild wasteland trait because
Instead of the mercenaries being there, there are 3 aliens instead. Who drop tri-laser rifles and an alien blaster. None of which are nearly as good as the YCS/186 Gauss rifle...

Well if Bethesda allow Obsidian to make another Fallout game there'll be no complaints here, that's for sure. I'll be buying it day one. But for fucks sake give them a new game engine and tools to work with, and the time to bug test it before release.

Dresden said:
Reminds me of my first time running to Novac, in between that and Nipton I came across a band of traveling merchants--who got ambushed by Legion troops--who got surprised by patrolling NCR troopers--who pulled in a pack of young Nightstalkers. Pretty much everyone except for one mercenary and a merchant died.

Shit was epic. What was really cool was, after I grabbed
Boone
from Novac and began traveling north towards the Strip, that same mercenary--I recognized him by the submachine gun, the leather armor, and the limp--was still walking, bugged probably, north sans merchant.

Man that sounds awesome. I haven't been to Novac yet, so here's hoping I get to see something like that on my trip there. I love it when stuff like this happens.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Trickster said:
Wow, apparently you can't get the unique Gauss Rifle if you have the wild wasteland trait because
Instead of the mercenaries being there, there are 3 aliens instead. Who drop tri-laser rifles and an alien blaster. None of which are nearly as good as the YCS/186 Gauss rifle...

The blaster actually does more damage than the YCS/186

Trickster

Shinjitsu said:
The blaster actually does more damage than the YCS/186

How so? Both damage and dps is lower according the the stats. And another thing I don't like about it -
The alien blaster uses the alien power cells, which to my knowledge can't be made or found anywhere except on the alien that also drops the alien blaster, so once those shots are used, you are left with a useless weapon :/

NoRéN

For all the PC people out there, I'ld be interested in seeing some more pics of your characters.
Do y'all actually utilize armor or do you m\worry more about t\what you character looks like.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wow... just did
Vault 11... Nice little story in there but that last battle was insane, a bunch of turrets, robo brains and sentry bots, they were utterly destroying us but then I turned it around. Still, at level 18 it was very very hard. Also, I didn't take any weapons that were effective against robots, so I didn't expect it.

Trickster

NoRéN said:
For all the PC people out there, I'ld be interested in seeing some more pics of your characters.
Do y'all actually utilize armor or do you m\worry more about t\what you character looks like.

Falloutchar.jpg

I really enjoy having my character look awesome, but at the same time also want to have good stats on my gear. Which is why the armor you see in this pic is actually a modded version of the chinese stealth suit, in new vegas the stealth suit is utter shit, luckily someone made a mod to change the stats into the Fallout 3 version ( stealth field included )

NoRéN said:

Stats help, but I usually go for looks. This is the PC version of my older 360 character, I still need to find some "Authority Glasses". :D

979-falloutnv-2010-10-29-20-48-14-89.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
lastplayed said:
Stats help, but I usually go for looks. This is the PC version of my older 360 character, I still need to find some "Authority Glasses". :D

979-falloutnv-2010-10-29-20-48-14-89.jpg

There are loads of Authority Glasses near
Old Nuclear Test Site
in an outdoor viewing area. Bad news is there are loads of Glowing Ones and Ghoul Reavers.

NoRéN said:

Me, currently level 6.

2uo2gqu.png

If you swap out the hat and glasses for the stormchaser hat and lucky shades from Fallout 3, you've got my Fallout 3 character as he was all the way to level 30. I'm actually playing this character as though he is my Fallout 3 character 4 years on, and the events at the start of this game left him with no recollection of his previous skills, which has left him in a pretty fucked off mood :lol

Last night, I met the Legion for the first time. Pretty fucked up bunch, but didn't bother me personally so I left them alone. More important things on my mind, like revenge. However, after they left I checked out the
town hall
and promptly got attacked by some of their guard dogs. Now the Legion are on my shit list, and if I see any of them they're dead.

Can't stand people who can't control their pets.

Ricker

I asked this yesterday, no one answered I think hehe,how do you heal a companion when he is limping around...he even says I need a medic,so I brought him to one but nothing happens,his health is maxed so he doesn`t take a stimpak,I opened the inventory screen and gave him a doctor bag but that doesn`t work as well,I talk to him and I see no option for that,I sent him back to his place and went back to get him 24 hours later...no go,he still limps around,so I reloaded a save,I had one just before the fight where he got knocked unconscious.(he ran right into a tripwire)

Haunted

_tetsuo_ said:
Damnit. Almost level 23 now and haven't been to the strip yet. I MUST get in there in my next session, jesus.
Raise the level cap to 100 via the mod on newvegasnexus and bam! No more feeling pressured to get anywhere before hitting the level cap. :D

duckroll

Ricker said:
I asked this yesterday, no one answered I think hehe,how do you heal a companion when he is limping around...he even says I need a medic,so I brought him to one but nothing happens,his health is maxed so he doesn`t take a stimpak,I opened the inventory screen and gave him a doctor bag but that doesn`t work as well,I talk to him and I see no option for that,I sent him back to his place and went back to get him 24 hours later...no go,he still limps around,so I reloaded a save,I had one just before the fight where he got knocked unconscious.(he ran right into a tripwire)

Wait what? Companions can get crippled and remain crippled? I didn't even know that!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Boones gotten smart on me all of a sudden.

I gave him a Machete Gladius so he could have a nice melee weapon, and he's actually using it intelligently. I'm standing around Vault 23 and a Golden Gecko thing jumps me out of nowhere. Boone was in long range mode, but he switched to the Gladius and took a swipe at the Gecko doing a good bit of damage. The Gecko starts running away and Boone says 'You're not getting away from me!' or whatever his catchphrase is and then he pulls out the Sniper Rifle again to finish the job from a distance. Headshot. He's learned a few tricks :)

Okay,
kind of disappointed at the ending. That final mission was completely anti-climactic, and that final battle... Jesus, Obsidian, a boss fight? Really? That guy kept pwning the shit out of me 'till I convinced him to duel me one on one. Boone didn't give a shit about that, though, and we caught the bastard in a crossfire.

Also, no after credits play? Uncool. Good thing I made an extra save before I went on the final mission.

Also, I completely ran out of Microfusion Cells during that final mission: I have no idea how that happened, I had a ton of them with me when the mission started. Almost like they just vanished the moment I started that final quest.

Finished revision 1 of a new vegas walkthrough I'm working on. Might not work on it much more because I'm tired of the game.

http://pastebay.com/108498

Pretty much finalized what I think is the best combat oriented build:

SPECIAL: 7 STR, 5 PER, 7-8 END, 1 CHR, 4-5 INT, 6 AGI, 9 LCK
I suggest tagging Repair, Sneak, and Lockpicking.

Perks: 01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Rapid Reloads, 04 Educated, 06
Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Confirmed Bachelor, 14 Hunter, 16
Better Criticals, 18 Purifier, 20 Ninja, 22 Super Slam, 24 Jury Rigging, 26
Nerves of Steel, 28 Commando or Math Wrath, 30 Sniper.

jax (old)

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Finished revision 1 of a new vegas walkthrough I'm working on. Might not work on it much more because I'm tired of the game.

http://pastebay.com/108498

Pretty much finalized what I think is the best combat oriented build:

SPECIAL: 7 STR, 5 PER, 7-8 END, 1 CHR, 4-5 INT, 6 AGI, 9 LCK
I suggest tagging Repair, Sneak, and Lockpicking.

Perks: 01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Rapid Reloads, 04 Educated, 06
Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Confirmed Bachelor, 14 Hunter, 16
Better Criticals, 18 Purifier, 20 Ninja, 22 Super Slam, 24 Jury Rigging, 26
Nerves of Steel, 28 Commando or Math Wrath, 30 Sniper.

looking at your list of recommended perks:

Purifier is mostly useless as by the time you get up to LVL18, the things it can kill well, you can already, kill well.

action boy should be in there.
rapid reloads is useless imo.

if grim reaper works, itd be more uselful, than some of the perks on that list as well.

jax (old)

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Okay,
kind of disappointed at the ending. That final mission was completely anti-climactic, and that final battle... Jesus, Obsidian, a boss fight? Really? That guy kept pwning the shit out of me 'till I convinced him to duel me one on one. Boone didn't give a shit about that, though, and we caught the bastard in a crossfire.

Also, no after credits play? Uncool. Good thing I made an extra save before I went on the final mission.

Also, I completely ran out of Microfusion Cells during that final mission: I have no idea how that happened, I had a ton of them with me when the mission started. Almost like they just vanished the moment I started that final quest.

might be good to give a context of which ending because

my version of playthrough

sided with HOUSE over NCR, so had to fight legion + and then NCR. Yeah kinda a boss fight but then we get to the NCR final guy (oliver) and I speeched my out of it at 100 speech
:D

What I'm I missing that makes vault 11 so badass??
Found the speech and the story of the sacrifices... Can't seem to find much else... Worked my way all the way through to get it item for the BoS quest.. No finding much more :(

duckroll

I didn't have any boss fights in my climax. I honestly found it very satisfying because of the way I played.

I had the NCR, the Enclave remnants, the Boomers, and the Securitrons all on my side. So I was pretty much standing there watching the Legion troops get slaughtered as I walk. I had Raul in awesome looking chinese stealth armor (with his mexican hat still on!) shooting up any Legion troops who got close to me too.

I got to the control room, and I talked the guards into abandoning their posts so I could override the systems. I went back outside and the Enclave remnants showed up and followed my, killing even more Legion troops as I walked. There were two pairs of Securitrons in front of me shooting up shit too.

I felt like a GOD as I advanced into the Legion camp. When I got there, I speeched my way through the Legate and he fucking LEFT the Mojave without fighting me. Then I speeched Oliver into running away with his tail between his legs too.

Felt good, man. Felt real good.

duckroll said:
I didn't have any boss fights in my climax. I honestly found it very satisfying because of the way I played.

I had the NCR, the Enclave remnants, the Boomers, and the Securitrons all on my side. So I was pretty much standing there watching the Legion troops get slaughtered as I walk. I had Raul in awesome looking chinese stealth armor (with his mexican hat still on!) shooting up any Legion troops who got close to me too.

I got to the control room, and I talked the guards into abandoning their posts so I could override the systems. I went back outside and the Enclave remnants showed up and followed my, killing even more Legion troops as I walked. There were two pairs of Securitrons in front of me shooting up shit too.

I felt like a GOD as I advanced into the Legion camp. When I got there, I speeched my way through the Legate and he fucking LEFT the Mojave without fighting me. Then I speeched Oliver into running away with his tail between his legs too.

Felt good, man. Felt real good.
Heh, wow,
I didn't even know there were Enclave Remnants in the game.

I had the NCR and the Boomers at my side, fighting the Legion. The Brotherhood, unfortunately, I had been forced to reduced to dust, and I never managed to get the Khans to stick around for the fighting.

So, I start that final mission, get swamped by Legionnaires, immediately run out of Microfusion Cells, and then push my way forward through their lines. Most of the fighting isn't too tough, but then I reach that Legate. I talk to him, doing speech check after speech check, only to come three points short of being able to talk him down. Me and Boone then double-team him, after I got him to agree to a one-on-one duel. I finish him off, fully expecting to, I dunno, go and finish Caesar after this, and then BAM, NCR blows up the gate in front of my face, tells me I did a good job, and sends me walking. The end.

So now, I've reloaded my post-endgame save, and I'm gonna try and get to Level 30, and maybe get a few other factions to support me. Then I'm gonna make another character, and see if my second playthrough is more to my liking.

daoster said:
Any mod to make you run faster yet? Cause sometimes...the run speed...annoys the hell out of me.

This is the most annoying fact of the game. Was FO:3 the same speed? It's really annoying. I mean like I am almost done with this game annoying. Oh and I cant use a mod b/c I am stuck on consoles for a while.

Edit: Damn that armor is awesome! Will keep playing :lol

So I chose the comprehension perk and have found like 1 book in 20 hours. Seriously, where the hell are these books. I read someplace that there are like 50 of them but have only found 1?

duckroll

Alucrid said:
Which NPC has the best repair skill in the game?

Knight from Mojave Outpost, and the party member Raul (but he can only repair stuff when you send him back to his shack and talk to him there).

TheExecutive said:
So I chose the comprehension perk and have found like 1 book in 20 hours. Seriously, where the hell are these books. I read someplace that there are like 50 of them but have only found 1?

Usually in mailboxes or on tables. If you mean the books that permanently improve skills those are pretty rare, I've found four or five in 30 hours. That perk is far more useful for the temporary +20 boost it gives for the more common skill buffing books.

Alucrid

Banned
duckroll said:
Knight from Mojave Outpost, and the party member Raul (but he can only repair stuff when you send him back to his shack and talk to him there).

Thanks. Can he repair stuff if you told him to head back to Lucky 38? Also, after I got on Live and downloaded the patch I can't send companions there anymore, nor did I get the 'recruit all companions' achievement after doing so. Anyone know what's up?

duckroll

Blue Ninja said:
Heh, wow,
I didn't even know there were Enclave Remnants in the game.

I had the NCR and the Boomers at my side, fighting the Legion. The Brotherhood, unfortunately, I had been forced to reduced to dust, and I never managed to get the Khans to stick around for the fighting.

So, I start that final mission, get swamped by Legionnaires, immediately run out of Microfusion Cells, and then push my way forward through their lines. Most of the fighting isn't too tough, but then I reach that Legate. I talk to him, doing speech check after speech check, only to come three points short of being able to talk him down. Me and Boone then double-team him, after I got him to agree to a one-on-one duel. I finish him off, fully expecting to, I dunno, go and finish Caesar after this, and then BAM, NCR blows up the gate in front of my face, tells me I did a good job, and sends me walking. The end.

So now, I've reloaded my post-endgame save, and I'm gonna try and get to Level 30, and maybe get a few other factions to support me. Then I'm gonna make another character, and see if my second playthrough is more to my liking.

Well, I think one factor that certainly affects how a player sees the climax is what you consider "climatic" in a sense.

I never expected to "fight" Caeser at all, because after questioning the captured Legion dude at Camp McCarren, and then meeting Caeser himself for the first time in Render Upon Caeser, it became very clear to me that he is not really a big fighter. He is a great leader and what is holding the Legion together, but he's getting old and it was clear from the other stories that it was always his Legete that did all the fighting.

Think about it, it is General Oliver who meets you at the end too, not President Kimbell. In an actual war it is always the generals on the front line, and not the supreme leaders.

I do agree that the events at the end could be a bit more eventful though. The anti-climatic part for me is mostly that when you break into the Legion camp at the end, it's mostly already abandoned and the people running at me were using stuff like Ballistic Fists while I was smashing their heads with Oh Baby (those who could get near me anyway, since I had characters around me fucking most of them up).

Ultimately it felt the same as the Strip and the casinos - the problem is how EMPTY a lot of areas feel. It's disappointing because the rest of the game is so well designed. The writing, the world, the quests, even the art direction and various locations feel totally Fallout to me. But the emptiness takes a bit of shine away from all that.

But I think the ending epilogues made up completely for any lack of punch the ending events had. Really fantastic seeing the classic Fallout/Fallout2 style ending epilogue. Really fantastic stuff, and totally Obsidian. :)

Alucrid said:
Thanks. Can he repair stuff if you told him to head back to Lucky 38? Also, after I got on Live and downloaded the patch I can't send companions there anymore, nor did I get the 'recruit all companions' achievement after doing so. Anyone know what's up?

No idea about the 360 version sorry, but I don't have any problems with the PC version. If you send him to Lucky 38 he will not be able to repair anything. You need to send him back to his shack. The best way is actually to go with him to his shack, then dismiss him there. That way you can repair anything you need on the spot and then recruit him back immediately. His shack is located East of the Mole Rat Ranch. Keep moving along the road eastwards until you hit the mountain, it's somewhere around there.

Confidence Man said:
Usually in mailboxes or on tables. If you mean the books that permanently improve skills those are pretty rare, I've found four or five in 30 hours. That perk is far more useful for the temporary +20 boost it gives for the more common skill buffing books.

Holy cow.... I guess I will start using the magazines I have so many of those. I was really looking for books though.

duckroll

Books are kinda rare. I only found maybe 5-6 books total in my playthrough. Magazines are a lot more common and they're very useful with the Comprehension perk. I generally save 2 of each until I really need to use one to crack a safe or hack a computer. It makes the perk very worthwhile. My character was kinda dumb too, so sometimes taking Mentats in combination with reading a magazine did wonders. :lol

Alucrid

Banned
duckroll said:
No idea about the 360 version sorry, but I don't have any problems with the PC version. If you send him to Lucky 38 he will not be able to repair anything. You need to send him back to his shack. The best way is actually to go with him to his shack, then dismiss him there. That way you can repair anything you need on the spot and then recruit him back immediately. His shack is located East of the Mole Rat Ranch. Keep moving along the road eastwards until you hit the mountain, it's somewhere around there.

Darn, thanks though I'll have to do this with my NCR ranger armor.

Top Bottom