• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Lakitu

st5fu
Experienced some very frustrating glitches last night and today.

I ventured into
Freeside
for the first time today which was awesome up until the point where I wanted to finish the
Debt Collector quest for the Garretts
so I had to go to the
Broc Flower Cave to find Lady Jane's caravan, only, the dead brahmin is nowhere to be found inside the cave. Luckily I had a back-up save but I lost around 2 hours of going around Freeside.

I gave up for the night, and decided to start
Freeside
again, only this time, after spending some more time around there and forgetting to save,
Veronica doesn't move from the Van Gruff's shop, no matter what I do.
So frustrating.

stupei

SlipperySlope said:
There's a bunch of deathclaws around there, so look out.

The most terrifying bug I ever encountered in either FO3 or New Vegas happened when I ran across a few guys in the Capitol Wasteland messing around with a Deathclaw they had in a cage. Deathclaw breaks free and kills them.

Then it sees me. "Oh shit," I think, and dive back into the building that I'd just exited. The Deathclaw is charging and I make it through just in time. At the loading screen, I breathe a sigh of relief.

Only the Deathclaw somehow followed me into the building (which I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be able to do) and immediately proceeds to slaughter everyone in the room. They're screaming and running, body parts and rag dolls are flying, and I'm just watching in confused horror.

Lakitu said:
Experienced some very frustrating glitches last night and today.

I ventured into
Freeside
for the first time today which was awesome up until the point where I wanted to finish the
Debt Collector quest for the Garretts
so I had to go to the
Broc Flower Cave to find Lady Jane's caravan, only, the dead brahmin is nowhere to be found inside the cave. Luckily I had a back-up save but I lost around 2 hours of going around Freeside.

Hate to break it to you, but
pretty sure she made that story up about the brahmin in the cave. I called her on it (I think because of a high perception), but I imagine if you'd returned to her after finding nothing, you'd be able to call her out based on that.

Filldough

Zozobra said:
I bought this on launch day for PS3 and it's still sitting in the wrapper, kinda debating whether or not I should return it. What's the state of this on the console after the patch(es)?

I've played through the entire game once and have two other characters in progress for PS3 version. Its not nearly as horrible as some might say and the positives outweigh the negatives. Although if you've got a high end PC then I don't know why you'd play anything on a console... But if you're waiting to jump in, jump in, the game is awesome.

finalozzo said:
:-| why not? At least is there a new game+?

A handful of achievements are relegated to end-game quests where you pick a specific path. It's pretty obvious when this point comes up as a couple of factions will ask that you pay them a visit. You could save your game here and follow all of the paths to get the achievements but each path takes several hours regardless.

SlipperySlope said:
There's a bunch of deathclaws around there, so look out.
I think the Deathclaws are farther up north, really. I haven't come across any way south of the map, at least.

I did enter
Dead Wind Cavern
(or something like that) a couple of days ago, though. There were a few Deathclaws outside it, but I had never figured it'd be swarming with the damn things inside. Anyways, I proceed to sneak attack most of them with my Gauss Rifle, only to come across that
Legendary Deathclaw
fellow, who proceeds to slaughter me again and again and again. After a while I said "Fuck it", and went for the exit of the cave. Once I exited, however, I was greeted with at least six Deathclaws, all staring at me with carnage in their eyes.

The moment that last Deathclaw dropped dead, and I wobbled away with barely a sliver of health left, was one of the most epic moments I've ever experienced in this game.

My New Vegas walkthrough is finished. It tries to take the most optimal/least time consuming route through the game while grabbing skill books and unique weapons, and complete as many quests as possible (I believe the max is 87 in one playthrough). It also has a pretty good build in it. Wish it was more challenging, but eventually there will be some pretty good mods. On to Vanquish which is definitely not lacking in the challenge department.

There's a cheap way to kill the legendary deathclaw. He doesn't exit his room as far as I can tell. First sneak snipe the deathclaws in his room while running away after each snipe until you're [hidden] again. Once the legendary deathclaw is alone, keep running back and forth picking on him until he's dead. This is best done without companions as they will run into the room and get owned.

Finalow

PepsimanVsJoe said:
A handful of achievements are relegated to end-game quests where you pick a specific path. It's pretty obvious when this point comes up as a couple of factions will ask that you pay them a visit. You could save your game here and follow all of the paths to get the achievements but each path takes several hours regardless.
and what is the point when i've to choose the path?

Lakitu

st5fu
stupei said:
pretty sure she made that story up about the brahmin in the cave. I called her on it (I think because of a high perception), but I imagine if you'd returned to her after finding nothing, you'd be able to call her out based on that.

Oh... wow.
Bitch swindled me, I should have known. Fucking Freeside...
Thanks though, I have a save that I can use a bit after that, so that's better. Hopefully I can find her.

finalozzo said:
and what is the point when i've to choose the path?
It should come fairly naturally.
Some dude from NCR and some dude from Legion should show up when you're leaving the Lucky 38 at some point.

Basically it works something like this:
-Work with Mr House
-Work with NCR
-Work with Legion
-Wildcard

Also the game warns you at a certain point that if you continue to do end-game quests for a particular faction the others won't talk to you anymore.

duckroll

stupei said:

That's not really true.
I used my Lady Killer to convince her to pay up by patronizing her ego. After she paid up and I cleared the quest, I eventually journeyed to the Broc Flower Cave and I actually found her Brahim caravan with the money on it. Double the money for me!

dwebo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
You can go all the way up to
4/5(?) of the Wild Card: Side Bets quest without having to pick a final faction (once you turn in the last part of that quest, you lock out the Legion, and possibly NCR).
From there, you can finish each path in probably an hour - or a lot less once you know what you're doing,
since it always goes Presidential assassination -> Hoover Dam end fight.

Finalow

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Some dude from NCR and some dude from Legion should show up when you're leaving the Lucky 38 at some point.

Basically it works something like this:
-Work with Mr House
-Work with NCR
-Work with Legion
-Wildcard

Also the game warns you at a certain point that if you continue to do end-game quests for a particular faction the others won't talk to you anymore.
ok, thanks. And another thing: i haven't completed Nothin' But a Hound Dog yet, but does rex stay with me forever even if is he in loan?

duckroll said:
This kinda makes me feel bad about some of the things I say about Bethesda sometimes.

god damn i hope we get more fallout games with obsidian. They should be dancing with the big boys after NV's release.

Lakitu

st5fu
duckroll said:
That's not really true.
I used my Lady Killer to convince her to pay up by patronizing her ego. After she paid up and I cleared the quest, I eventually journeyed to the Broc Flower Cave and I actually found her Brahim caravan with the money on it. Double the money for me!

I'll check it out tomorrow, I just checked the Fallout Wikia and you're right, and I can't find the Brahmin. I'll just check it out one way or another. It's weird, this is probably the first glitch I've experienced in the entire game. Left me with a sour taste.

Dresden

Wallach said:
Gunslinger, Commando, Sniper. They are all still broken on PC (aka they do nothing). Long standing Fallout 3 bug.
Whoa. I don't use them, but good to know. I was thinking about taking gunslinger.

epmode

God I LOVE DarNified's smaller fonts but the new fonts themselves are mostly terrible. Anyone know of a way to use it with the old fonts (just at a smaller size)? I've played around with the XML file for a bit but I'm not getting anywhere.

Wallach said:
So all of the VATS accuracy perks are still broken on PC, carried over from Fallout 3. Bleeeegh.
That, and it appears Grim Reaper's Sprint is/was broken as well. I dunno if it was fixed in the first patch. Looks like I wasted a perk. :(

Finalow

PepsimanVsJoe said:
i'm at this point.
wtf is wildcard? I've to choose if work for yes man or house or legion/NRC.

Gunslinger, Commando, Sniper. They are all still broken on PC (aka they do nothing). Long standing Fallout 3 bug.
only on PC, i hope.

edgefusion

This game is absolutely chock full of spelling errors, it feels like every other character I'm running into has dialogue with at least one mistake in it. I just met Motor-Runner and his two dogs are called BoneGnash and GhashBone... I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be GnashBone. And there's this:

IMG_0094.jpg

voltron

Its fucking stupid that when you give EDE to
Lorenzo for a few days to upgrade his armor etc
that he loses all the stuff he was carrying.

Ridiculous.

I should have assumed though I guess. My fault for not hard saving first.

so I've reached the endgame. I've got to say the faction system really does get on my nerves because
I don't want to kill the BOS! I don't want to kill the NCR! But the NCR hates me for some reason i cannot even remember, maybe I blew some guy's head off by mistake during some hectic battle. But the BOS loves me! So I stood there, in front of the self-destruction terminal...and didn't initiate the process. I decided to kill House instead, because if he hates the BOS he must be BAD, and so I shoot the old creep in his chamber...all ok? NO, because you immediately receive a note in which Obsidian basically tells you the history of Robert House, and makes you feel like a fucking bastard because you just killed the only man that coulve saved the world. FUCK THIS, OBSIDIAN.
So I reload in front of the terminal, initiate the self destrucion, destroy the BOS and go on with the mission. But I feel like shit because the BOS ain't bad, I wanted to be a fucking hero, killing those Legion scumbags and letting the good people live :(

so basically, endgame's only purpose to make you feel like shit one way or another :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anasui Kishibe said:
so I've reached the endgame. I've got to say the faction system really does get on my nerves because
I don't want to kill the BOS! I don't want to kill the NCR! But the NCR hates me for some reason i cannot even remember, maybe I blew some guy's head off by mistake during some hectic battle. But the BOS loves me! So I stood there, in front of the self-destruction terminal...and didn't initiate the process. I decided to kill House instead, because if he hates the BOS he must be BAD, and so I shoot the old creep in his chamber...all ok? NO, because you immediately receive a note in which Obsidian basically tells you the history of Robert House, and makes you feel like a fucking bastard because you just killed the only man that coulve saved the world. FUCK THIS, OBSIDIAN.
So I reload in front of the terminal, initiate the self destrucion, destroy the BOS and go on with the mission. But I feel like shit because the BOS ain't bad, I wanted to be a fucking hero, killing those Legion scumbags and letting the good people live :(

so basically, endgame's only purpose to make you feel like shit one way or another :/

House's obituary was written by House himself, it doesn't show him to be an amazing guy, it shows how much of an egomaniac he is.

Wallach

My next character is going to be a psycho melee/unarmed. Probably model it after a Rifts juicer. Massive chem overload! SMOKE JET 'ERRYDAY.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah House's speech about setting up an Autocracy turned me off to him. He's basically a worse version of the BOS. Very cool dialog during "The House Always Wins" quests from House but it shows what he really is.

Sinatar said:
House's obituary was written by House himself, it doesn't show him to be an amazing guy, it shows how much of an egomaniac he is.

but his intentions about helping humankind cannot be so bad

Arde5643

stupei said:
The most terrifying bug I ever encountered in either FO3 or New Vegas happened when I ran across a few guys in the Capitol Wasteland messing around with a Deathclaw they had in a cage. Deathclaw breaks free and kills them.

Then it sees me. "Oh shit," I think, and dive back into the building that I'd just exited. The Deathclaw is charging and I make it through just in time. At the loading screen, I breathe a sigh of relief.

Only the Deathclaw somehow followed me into the building (which I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be able to do) and immediately proceeds to slaughter everyone in the room. They're screaming and running, body parts and rag dolls are flying, and I'm just watching in confused horror.
It's definitely not a bug.

Enemies and NPCs can actually go in and out of the loading parts of buildings - for example, in the NCRCF, if some of the powder gangers out front see you, they'll actually go through the main Visitor room and then head outside to fight you.

stupei

duckroll said:
That's not really true.

Weird.
I wish I could remember what exactly I said to her, but basically I call her a liar and she confesses that she does have the caps on her after all. So I guess she's just admitting to lying about not having enough to pay it back, not that the whole story was a lie. Didn't even think of that possibility.

Arde5643 said:

Enemies and NPCs can actually go in and out of the loading parts of buildings - for example, in the NCRCF, if some of the powder gangers out front see you, they'll actually go through the main Visitor room and then head outside to fight you.

I did that against the guards with Vulpes when you meet him the first time. It was part of my strategy. Gain my AP's while I wait for them to enter the house. They enter the house, boom, take one out. Run out and to another house, and wait for another to pop up. Rinse and repeat. Hehe.

Still sad I wasted three perks it sounds like :( Ah well, still got finesse. :(

Edit - How could a bug this big make it into a release build (regarding the perks)?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Blah, apparently nobody is actually sure whether the issue of
Arcade Gannon leaving upon the completion of his companion quest
is a bug or a feature. I suppose it makes sense given what he says, but I want a full crew in my suite. :(

Wallach

SlipperySlope said:
Edit - How could a bug this big make it into a release build (regarding the perks)?

It's been a bug in PC version of Fallout 3 for ages. Since patch 1.1, almost two years now. Makes me wonder if other stuff is also broken like Ninja.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wondering if someone can help me. I'm early on and doing the quest "That Lucky Old Sun". I'm inside the
building where i need to repair the generator to route power to the mainframe. There's the repair robot Python in there, which I've activated, he's firing electricity at a pile of wire on the ground but nothing seems to be happening. The option to Talk to him comes up if i face him, but nothing happens when I try it. I've got 50 Science, only 34 Repair (though I figured that's what the robot is for - he'll repair the generator instead of me), and I also have a Poseidon Energy employee I.D. Any ideas? Has the game glitched out or am I missing something really obvious? Thanks.

I've found myself rarely doing any main quests. I tend to pick away at them if I find myself in a specific area, but otherwise not really. Finished Come Fly With Me. Very interesting! I only wished I had a 50 in Science to see
if I could have directed the rockets into a mountain or something.
:lol

Eerily enough, when I finished that quest, it was pitch black outside. Not a cloud in the sky, and the stars were plainly visible. Kind of fitting.

dwebo

julls said:
Wondering if someone can help me. I'm early on and doing the quest "That Lucky Old Sun". I'm inside the
building where i need to repair the generator to route power to the mainframe. There's the repair robot Python in there, which I've activated, he's firing electricity at a pile of wire on the ground but nothing seems to be happening. The option to Talk to him comes up if i face him, but nothing happens when I try it. I've got 50 Science, only 34 Repair (though I figured that's what the robot is for - he'll repair the generator instead of me), and I also have a Poseidon Energy employee I.D. Any ideas? Has the game glitched out or am I missing something really obvious? Thanks.
Might be glitched. IIRC, that robot only took a few seconds to fix the wire thing for me.

tokkun

Wallach said:

You sure? I thought that was fixed in the 1.5 patch on PC.

ezekial45

Banned
I must say, i'm a disappointed in the design of the layout for the Mojave Wasteland. The map makes it looks bigger than it really is. Most of the outer areas are just steep mountains, and the Colorado river. Takes up a big chunk of the map.

I thought it was a little deceptive to be honest.

stupei

Arde5643 said:

I know that people can do it, but it was my understanding that animals couldn't. Which makes sense, they shouldn't be able to turn a door knob and I wouldn't expect the engine to be smart enough to only let them through if they are "following behind you through the open door."

And actually, isn't that possibly something that was added to New Vegas? I thought I read that, though I could be wrong.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
dwebo said:
Might be glitched. IIRC, that robot only took a few seconds to fix the wire thing for me.
Argh. Ok, thanks - maybe if I load it up again it'll work. I don't have high hopes :lol

Either way I can get my repair to 35 and do it myself. Will see.

Ventrue

DarthWoo said:
Blah, apparently nobody is actually sure whether the issue of
Arcade Gannon leaving upon the completion of his companion quest
is a bug or a feature. I suppose it makes sense given what he says, but I want a full crew in my suite. :(

I think it's a feature, because he shows up briefly later.

Anasui Kishibe said:
but his intentions about helping humankind cannot be so bad

Yes, because he treated human beings in Freeside etc. so well.

bhlaab

Anasui Kishibe said:

Just keep in mind that every endgame choice has its good and bad points. Even if you side with the legion there's not going to be an ending like "You fucked up, everything is terrible and you died in a fire, horribly!" you're always going to get a good ending... well, as "good" as an ending in Fallout can be.

Top Bottom