• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

corkscrewblow said:
So has this game been patched on PS3 yet? Don't know if I should start it or not.
I just started like a week ago and there was a patch or something. Either way, I haven't ran into a single problem this entire time. Everything is smooth and im a good ways into the game.

Dyno

I finished off and was glad to be done. The quests had all but dried up and although I made progress improving my rep. with the NCR (enough to complete hanging quests) it was not worth the effort of pursuing it further.

All in all it's as good an open world RPG as we get on consoles but I think I liked Fallout 3 better.

New Vegas - It was cut up into too many pieces and there wasn't much in every piece. By the end it was just a hassle to navigate through.

Gambling - I just didn't care enough for it. If I wanted to spend my free time playing cards I would do that. This meant that for my playthrough a big chunk of the flavour was ignored.

Food - I loved the idea but it just didn't work out well. I have a whole fridge full of ingredients but with no working campfire (or stove) in my home it wasn't worth the effort to drag it out into the world and make stuff. Besides, you get to a point where all you need to do is carry a stack of Bighorner Steaks and Purified Water.

Crafting - Same as food except for a few necessities like Weapon Repair Kits. You spend so much time collecting stuff and wind up making so little. In F3 there was only seven weapons to build but they all were interesting and I found all their schematics. In New Vegas I barely found any. Seemed like a waste.

Character Building - I liked it better in Fallout 3 where you get a perk every level instead of perks every other level and then earning additional perks through your actions. It made the character feel more generic and less unique.

I did like the weapons however and VATS didn't get old. It was a decent waste of time but New Vegas didn't resonate with me the way D.C. did. Seeing a ruined Washington was powerful, seeing a fake Vegas, not so much.

EraldoCoil said:
I just started like a week ago and there was a patch or something. Either way, I haven't ran into a single problem this entire time. Everything is smooth and im a good ways into the game.

wow. i just started playing on ps3 last weekend. I'm about 38 hours in, had about 20 crashes (ok, 4 in a row after trying to fast travel to vault 22, but i average one every 2-3 hours or so other than the 4 in a row), stuttering, can't send my companions to lucky 38 (maybe i'm just missing something?), a corrupted save file (had to go back to an earlier one losing 2 hours, thank god that was all) and many more minor bugs and glitches (being stuck somewhere can't move, enemies doing crazy things etc).

I can't decide if this is buggier or fallout 3 w/dlc. Either way they are both frustrating as hell. The crashes/freezing is the big thing. It's such a shame cause both of these fallouts are like crack, but the bugs really do take away from the enjoyability of the game.

i hope my ps3 survives this game :(. does it hurt it doing a hard reset (just pressing the button on the console and getting the 4 beeps to turn off)

So I've been playing this game for about a week now. I made it to the strip and now I've been doing a lot of the strip faction/mr. yes quests. The thing is, I don't think I'm having any fun with this game. I loved Fallout 3 to death, it was definitely one of my favorites, but I can't quite place a finger as to why I'm playing this game hoping that it will get better. It's the same game with some of the mechanics improved. I think it's just that none of the characters or story arcs seem really interesting to me at all. In Fallout 3, it seemed like my actions meant something. Here, I find a lot of the things that I do have very little impact. I don't know, I think I should give it more time, but it's gotten to the point where I'm only playing it hoping that it will get better.

Been playing this for a few weeks on PS3. Honestly even with FO3, I've not had many crashes to speak of, maybe 2, and the occasional graphical glitch or two (or getting stuck in the geometry which IS a huge pain in the ass though)

stupei

cmonmanreally said:
So I've been playing this game for about a week now. I made it to the strip and now I've been doing a lot of the strip faction/mr. yes quests. The thing is, I don't think I'm having any fun with this game. I loved Fallout 3 to death, it was definitely one of my favorites, but I can't quite place a finger as to why I'm playing this game hoping that it will get better. It's the same game with some of the mechanics improved. I think it's just that none of the characters or story arcs seem really interesting to me at all. In Fallout 3, it seemed like my actions meant something. Here, I find a lot of the things that I do have very little impact. I don't know, I think I should give it more time, but it's gotten to the point where I'm only playing it hoping that it will get better.

Did you do any of the quests in Prim or Freeside?

Yeef

cmonmanreally said:
I think it's just that none of the characters or story arcs seem really interesting to me at all. In Fallout 3, it seemed like my actions meant something. Here, I find a lot of the things that I do have very little impact.
I feel the opposite. In Fallout 3 I felt like I didn't really have much impact on the other characters or the world, where as in New Vegas just about every decision seemed to mater. One thing that stood out for me were three different, not directly related quests that all interacted with one another. Basically, I took a quest from the Van Graffs
asking me to lead Cass back to them so they could kill her (after I'd already gotten her as a companion, but hadn't done her companion quest), got a quest proving that they were colluding with the Crimson Caravan (who I was in good favor with and actually thought was mostly good up until that point) to kill or silence all competing merchants. i was playing a diplomatic character, so I didn't want to simply kill the Van Graffs and got evidence of the conspiracy to the NCR instead.

Then a little while later I got a quest to kill the Van Graffs from the Brotherhood of Steel (I was ambivalent toward them; they had their positives and their negatives). After killing the Van Graffs, Cass got angry at me for wasting her time doing all of the diplomatic stuff when I could have just killed them outright.

The thing is, I had little incentive to pick any side over the other. I only had Cass as a companion because I had convinced her, on behalf of the Crimson Caravan, to sell her name to them and then she had nothing else to do with herself, so I let her tag along. I had done a shift as a security guard for the Van Graffs and actually had come to like the other security guard (though not the Van Graffs themselves). And the brotherhood had made a pretty terrible first impression by taking me hostage and threatening to kill me, but then as i got to know them a bit better they were much more shades of gray rather than purely good or evil. Even the revolution (which I aided in) was a bloodless one.
I'm pretty much just rambling at this point, but suffice to say that I felt New Vegas was a living, breathing world with interesting characters, whereas Fallout 3 felt more like a series of disconnected quests and way too much moral absolutism comparatively. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but not anywhere near as much as New Vegas.

stupei said:
Did you do any of the quests in Prim or Freeside?
Yeah I completed the quest lines for both towns. They were interesting enough, but still kinda of forgettable for me. I enjoyed Freeside quite a bit actually, but again, after the quests finished I didn't really feel satisfied.

Yeef said:
I feel the opposite. ...
I pretty much made the same decisions as you did, minus
Cass (I had Boone as a companion and ended up allowing the Van Graffs to kill her).
I do however, entirely agree with you on the point of moral absolutism. This is one of many many things New Vegas does better than FO3. I don't know, it's kind of hard for me to pinpoint what it is exactly that has me so uninterested in NV. I think it might be the fact that I played FO3 so extensively, that NV doesn't seem too much of a breath of fresh air since I stopped FO3.

Yeef

cmonmanreally said:
Yeah I completed the quest lines for both towns. They were interesting enough, but still kinda of forgettable for me. I enjoyed Freeside quite a bit actually, but again, after the quests finished I didn't really feel satisfied.

I pretty much made the same decisions as you did, minus
Cass (I had Boone as a companion and ended up allowing the Van Graffs to kill her).
I do however, entirely agree with you on the point of moral absolutism. This is one of many many things New Vegas does better than FO3. I don't know, it's kind of hard for me to pinpoint what it is exactly that has me so uninterested in NV. I think it might be the fact that I played FO3 so extensively, that NV doesn't seem too much of a breath of fresh air since I stopped FO3.
I'm curious: when did you first play Fallout 3? When was the last time you played it? and how many playthroughs of it did you do total?

If you played through Fallout 3 recently and/or a few different times I could see how new Vegas could feel sort of sameish. The core gameplay mechanics aren't really that different. The only real difference is that shooting outside of VATs in New Vegas handles a lot better compared to Fallout 3. Other than that most of the differences come from the world and the fiction rather than the gameplay.

I played through Fallout 3 only once about 3 months after it was released, so it was a pretty long time between games for me. I probably won't play through New Vegas again until I play the older games.

Meier

Just ran into a random freeze as I was loading the next area. I let it sit there for awhile with a black screen before restarting my system... came back to a corrupted auto save. Lost about 2 hours or so. :( Oh well, now I know better.. Obsidian and their buggy ass coding. I had just arrived at Novac (sp?) or whatever.

Just googled it and it's related to the specific quest I was on, "Come Fly With Me." How can they leave something like this in the game without fixing it for so long?

Meier

Wow, this thread is dead! Hah.

Played a bunch more, up to lvl 14 now. Enjoying it quite a bit although the removal of bobbleheads is a wee bit annoying. I've been able to afford two implants though and my END is 7 so I have some wiggle room.

I am appalled at the load times on the 360..I am assuming there must be some sort of memory leak and that's why they get so absurdly long in a marathon session. Seems like it might be wise to reboot every so often. Has this been discussed/confirmed?

Meier said:
Wow, this thread is dead! Hah.

Played a bunch more, up to lvl 14 now. Enjoying it quite a bit although the removal of bobbleheads is a wee bit annoying. I've been able to afford two implants though and my END is 7 so I have some wiggle room.

I am appalled at the load times on the 360..I am assuming there must be some sort of memory leak and that's why they get so absurdly long in a marathon session. Seems like it might be wise to reboot every so often. Has this been discussed/confirmed?
Don't feel too bad, you probably know this but there are snowglobes which are similar eastereggs.

saunderez

Finally finished it for the second time, around 90 hours all up. Played a good character for a change which was a lot easier than I first thought it would be. Bought Dead Money at level 30 and went through it, great addon but by the end I was sick of the Sierra Madre and just wanted to go back to the real world. Went with the Mr House ending well after level 35 and left feeling pretty satisfied.

One thing though, after I installed Dead Money the game started locking up. A lot. It really put a downer on the last 10 hours of the game. I don't know if I'm too keen on visiting New Vegas again any time soon, though it has given me the urge to throw in Fallout 3 and run through that again.

"Fallout State Of Mind"

The "cover" is pretty hilariously amazing too:
ZdLYs.jpg

BeeDog

Alright, I wanna know if my quest line is bugged. :/

Major-ish near-end spoilers (NCR perspective):

I've reached the point where Moore orders me to deal with the BoS. I've done all their quests earlier in the game, so I really don't want to kill them. But when I go to Hidden Valley and talk to the Elder, he doesn't want to discuss any alliance whatsoever. :/ What can I do now?

BeeDog said:
Alright, I wanna know if my quest line is bugged. :/

Major-ish near-end spoilers (NCR perspective):

I've reached the point where Moore orders me to deal with the BoS. I've done all their quests earlier in the game, so I really don't want to kill them. But when I go to Hidden Valley and talk to the Elder, he doesn't want to discuss any alliance whatsoever. :/ What can I do now?
Is your elder Hardin? If so, you're out of luck: killing them/blowing up the base is the only way to go. For some reason, only McNamara wants to consider forming an alliance. It annoyed me to no end, as well.

Just started Dead Money, and man, is it tough. I'm playing on Normal with a level 30 character, and he's still having trouble sometimes.

BeeDog

Blue Ninja said:
Is your elder Hardin? If so, you're out of luck: killing them/blowing up the base is the only way to go. For some reason, only McNamara wants to consider forming an alliance. It annoyed me to no end, as well.

Just started Dead Money, and man, is it tough. I'm playing on Normal with a level 30 character, and he's still having trouble sometimes.

No, that's the thing, it's McNamara. :/

Dead Man

Yeef said:
I feel the opposite. In Fallout 3 I felt like I didn't really have much impact on the other characters or the world, where as in New Vegas just about every decision seemed to mater. One thing that stood out for me were three different, not directly related quests that all interacted with one another. Basically, I took a quest from the Van Graffs
asking me to lead Cass back to them so they could kill her (after I'd already gotten her as a companion, but hadn't done her companion quest), got a quest proving that they were colluding with the Crimson Caravan (who I was in good favor with and actually thought was mostly good up until that point) to kill or silence all competing merchants. i was playing a diplomatic character, so I didn't want to simply kill the Van Graffs and got evidence of the conspiracy to the NCR instead.

Then a little while later I got a quest to kill the Van Graffs from the Brotherhood of Steel (I was ambivalent toward them; they had their positives and their negatives). After killing the Van Graffs, Cass got angry at me for wasting her time doing all of the diplomatic stuff when I could have just killed them outright.

The thing is, I had little incentive to pick any side over the other. I only had Cass as a companion because I had convinced her, on behalf of the Crimson Caravan, to sell her name to them and then she had nothing else to do with herself, so I let her tag along. I had done a shift as a security guard for the Van Graffs and actually had come to like the other security guard (though not the Van Graffs themselves). And the brotherhood had made a pretty terrible first impression by taking me hostage and threatening to kill me, but then as i got to know them a bit better they were much more shades of gray rather than purely good or evil. Even the revolution (which I aided in) was a bloodless one.
I'm pretty much just rambling at this point, but suffice to say that I felt New Vegas was a living, breathing world with interesting characters, whereas Fallout 3 felt more like a series of disconnected quests and way too much moral absolutism comparatively. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but not anywhere near as much as New Vegas.
I really like that aspect of NV, but I never got the feeling of a cohesive story in NV. I had a bunch of quests, that were mostly good individually, but for some reason I could never really connect into a whole. Maybe I did them in the wrong order or something.

Meier

Morokh said:
I think his concern is more over the Stat boost they gave than the item itself :p
Yeah, I loathe collecting things and never go out of my way for those kinds of achievements but it was always awesome to get rewarded with stat boosts for exploring.

Just confronted Benny and while I was enjoying this game I wasn't completely sold until I made it to the strip. Suddenly so many optons are presented and they can all have massive ramifications. It leaves me excited for my next playthrough which is a guaranteed future event in my life. And hardcore mode becomes appealing in the second play. Anyone have any experience with the hc mode? It seems to me like it could turn Fallout: New Vegas into a different game entirely.

Awesome Animals said:
Just confronted Benny and while I was enjoying this game I wasn't completely sold until I made it to the strip. Suddenly so many optons are presented and they can all have massive ramifications. It leaves me excited for my next playthrough which is a guaranteed future event in my life. And hardcore mode becomes appealing in the second play. Anyone have any experience with the hc mode? It seems to me like it could turn Fallout: New Vegas into a different game entirely.

I did the hardcore route for a second playthrough and really came away with the feeling that I was playing the game as it was meant to be played. That and exploring a melee focused character (I was primarily a sniper the first time around) really provided a wholly different experience and further enhanced the importance of companions throughout the game.

Aselith

Just beat the game tonight. Thanks for my special reward for beating it on Hardcore, assholes! Other than that letdown the game was great. I loved all 63 hours of it (with many more to go if I want to be completionist.)

Saint10118 said:
I did the hardcore route for a second playthrough and really came away with the feeling that I was playing the game as it was meant to be played. That and exploring a melee focused character (I was primarily a sniper the first time around) really provided a wholly different experience and further enhanced the importance of companions throughout the game.

The idea of needing to focus on sleep, food, and water sounds so appealing. The only reason I didn't do it the first time around was because the idea of ammo having weight seemed unappetizing. But I specialized this round to just handguns, so I could get rid of a lot of the ammo I carry, and I realized it is doable. I wish 3 had this mode.

I loved the survival aspects of hardcore mode. The problems I had with hardcore were permanent death for companions and non-instant healing for stimpacks. I was very conservative in combat in hardcore mode (cazadores in that direction? NOPE.) and it was such a relief to turn it off after beating the game and being able to explore every inch of the wasteland without fear.

ChoklitReign said:
I loved the survival aspects of hardcore mode. The problems I had with hardcore were permanent death for companions and non-instant healing for stimpacks. I was very conservative in combat in hardcore mode (cazadores in that direction? NOPE.) and it was such a relief to turn it off after beating the game and being able to explore every inch of the wasteland without fear.

Oh I bet, but the slow pace when exploring a landmark is part of the appeal. It becomes such a more strategic and complex game it seems.

I have a feeling my game is taking the train to Glitch town. Doing the Brotherhood quests now,

When I first got into the BoS base I did the virus quest, using my high science to isolate it per server. Oddly thouhg, I found it on one server, then the quest completed. Cool! I thought. Skip forward, I'm finding the dead scouts, and I go to the Repconn HQ, I Hack the terminal that prints my executive access, and head up. Still doesn't work though, and a robot sees me, and starts the alarm. When I go back to Hidden Valley, i go down to look up info on ousting MacNamara, and I find that the Virus quest has been undone. I redid it, but now I can't get the dude to finish off the quest. I'm not sure if it's all related, but it's pretty fucking annoying at this point. Need to start saving like crazy before I glitch out a main game quest. Xbox360 version

Effect

ezekial45 said:
This mod looks spectacular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMWKWR_BCo

adds the following:

- Helmets, Visors, Masks, and Goggles alter the hud
- Heat Vision and Night Vision visor upgrades
- Dynamic Crosshair
- Sprint and Tackle
- Zoom in scopes
- Grenade Hotkey
- Bullet Time

This settles it. The PC version is the one I'll be getting when the collected version comes out. Though I have to say it does bother me that people take the time to do these mods. That the are able to do this or even have to do this at times makes me think even less of the original developers of the game. They couldn't have taken the time to add these aspects during development?

Effect said:
This settles it. The PC version is the one I'll be getting when the collected version comes out. Though I have to say it does bother me that people take the time to do these mods. That the are able to do this or even have to do this at times makes me think even less of the original developers of the game. They couldn't have taken the time to add these aspects during development?
Sure, they could have, but that wasn't their vision of the game.

Oh, and this is really cool. A great fan film.

BeeDog

FINALLY finished the game today following the NCR path, after 70 hours doing pretty much everything possible in the game (visited all locations, got almost all unique weapons etc.). Amazing game, really, despite its bugs. The end-game wasn't the most unique one around there, but the storyboard ending itself I found really awesome. I loved how many of the choices during your game were actually reflected there.

Gonna roll back to an earlier save and finish up the other endings soon. :D

Jaagen

Question: Is there anywhere safe to store your items. I have a lot of stuff that I am carrying around, stuff that I want to keep. Any suggestions for any safe storage locations in the game?

Jaagen said:
Question: Is there anywhere safe to store your items. I have a lot of stuff that I am carrying around, stuff that I want to keep. Any suggestions for any safe storage locations in the game?

You can get a buy a room in Novac or get it for free if you have enough rep.

randomwab

Jaagen said:
Reputation overall or just in that city? Because I'm apparently "Idolized" in Novac.

The dude in the Dino Gift Shop gave me a key for a room at the hotel after I completed Boone's side-quest and solved the Brahmin problem

FUUUU this is probably old but I've had the same total freeze bug 4-5 times in a row now, when normally this game only locks but randomly every two hours.

I'm trying to murder Pearl but she won't go to sleep so I put a grenade in her stuff while pickpocketing. Every single time I do this the game and my ps3 lock up before it explodes.

I don't think I've ever had such a fun game constantly try to push me away by being shitty.
I ditched FO3 before any DLC because of this kind of shit but I would really like to play some more content from New Vegas.

hemtae

speaking of glitches, apparently every time I equip the gatling laser it acts like the carbon fiber doesn't exist so I gain like 9 pounds in my inventory which makes me overencumbered which is really annoying

Meier

I hate how freaking buggy this game is. Missed out on two achievements that I'd done all the other steps for because of it... ugh.

One other thing I noticed/was disappointed about was a real lack of terminals to hack. Science is 93 but I only hacked 16 terminals apparently. I figure I'll play the GOTY edition down the road and pick up the other 9 at that point.

Top Bottom