• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

butsomuch

What was the most difficult part of developing FO:NV?

Projecting the scope of the world eighteen months ahead of release. It's difficult to get a sense of how large the world is when you can only look at a few pieces at a time, especially since the technology base was entirely new to us. But once we had established a world scale that seemed reasonable, we really had to stick to it. The scope determined the pace that we had to work at, which became marathon-like after a few milestones.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/157269442508645978

how in the hell can you successfully pickpocket someone? my sneak is 60 and im always hidden, yet still it fails 100% of the time. only tried about 5-6 times though but since it always fails it seems pointless.

what could i be doing wrong?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
astroturfing said:
how in the hell can you successfully pickpocket someone? my sneak is 60 and im always hidden, yet still it fails 100% of the time. only tried about 5-6 times though but since it always fails it seems pointless.

what could i be doing wrong?
Several different things come into play, iirc.

1. Shadows. If you are in broad daylight or lit up in the middle of a flood light, the roll to succeed is more difficult.

2. Agility. If you have a low AGI, it will be a bit harder. High AGI means its a little easier.

3. Armor. No armor = best. Light armor = good. Heavy armor = lol

Grayman

i started a game again trying to play a thief character this time. I gave good springs to the powder gangers, i would have liked an option that left main characters alive and captive though.

randomwab

After about 200 hours in Fallout 3 and 30 or so hours in New Vegas, I just discovered Sneak attacks. Where have you been all my playtime? Sneak attacks + Ratslayer + Boone and ED-E = Great success.

Jaagen said:
Reputation overall or just in that city? Because I'm apparently "Idolized" in Novac.
You can simply buy the room from Jeannie (I think that was her name, at least) in the Hotel Lobby. There's a way to get it for free, but it requires more time.

Complete Boone's quest by finding the real culprit (
Jeannie
). A few days later (you may have to leave the cell for this), when you talk to the Dino-Bite owner, he'll give you the key to the hotel room for free.

Another possible safehouse early on in the game is Wolfhorn Ranch, to the east of Nipton. It's not a player-owned house, but the containers in it do not respawn.

water_wendi said:
Several different things come into play, iirc.

1. Shadows. If you are in broad daylight or lit up in the middle of a flood light, the roll to succeed is more difficult.

2. Agility. If you have a low AGI, it will be a bit harder. High AGI means its a little easier.

3. Armor. No armor = best. Light armor = good. Heavy armor = lol
The weight of the item you're trying to pickpocket also factors in to this.

Grayman

In fallout 3 nuka machines never respawn. I used the sasperilla machine in good springs in 3 games until I got to novac without losing anything.

Hey gang!
Did New Vegas get patched?
I had someone ask me how the patch was but I never saw one and didn't think it had been patched and it sure as hell doesn't play like it was patched. was it?

BobTheFork said:
Hey gang!
Did New Vegas get patched?
I had someone ask me how the patch was but I never saw one and didn't think it had been patched and it sure as hell doesn't play like it was patched. was it?
there was a 1.03 patch for ps3 last night when i played (i play it every day so i know it was a new patch).

i doubt it fixes anything though.. my reputation with NCR is still glitched at least, and im sure the game still crashes every hour or two. (i would LOVE to be wrong though).

about that NCR rep thing, how in the hell can i still have it at neutral even though ive done NOTHING but raise my NCR fame for the past 90 gameplay hours? it has never gone down, yet it's stuck at neutral. fucking pisses me off!

astroturfing said:
there was a 1.03 patch for ps3 last night when i played (i play it every day so i know it was a new patch).

i doubt it fixes anything though.. my reputation with NCR is still glitched at least, and im sure the game still crashes every hour or two. (i would LOVE to be wrong though).

about that NCR rep thing, how in the hell can i still have it at neutral even though ive done NOTHING but raise my NCR fame for the past 90 gameplay hours? it has never gone down, yet it's stuck at neutral. fucking pisses me off!
I should check my version, I never saw the patch. I just locked up again after about 25 minutes of play. I seriously can't finish leveling up my character; I keep having to replay big sections of the game.

edit: WTF It's not patched... I've started the game while offline and connected and now while connected to the PSN but it won't update. hmmmmm

Apparently all the new PS3 patch did was add the Dead Money trophy listing.....
You are not making a great pitch for buying more content here Obsidian.

BobTheFork said:
Apparently all the new PS3 patch did was add the Dead Money trophy listing.....
You are not making a great pitch for buying more content here Obsidian.
the patch was 21mb, no way it was just a trophy listing?

btw, here's how you play the ps3 version: save after every fight/conversation. impossible to get anywhere in the late game otherwise (first 30-40 hours can be crash free but as the savefile grows, so does the frequency of crashes) .

Do you guys have the US version of the game? I've been replaying the game for the past week, finished it earlier today, and didn't get any message about an update. I'm still on 1.02.

rainking187 said:
Do you guys have the US version of the game? I've been replaying the game for the past week, finished it earlier today, and didn't get any message about an update. I'm still on 1.02.
I'm still on 1.02 and I can't get it to update.

I think it's not just the trophy listings but the 21mb is just prep for the DLC and not any bug fixes. No one can seem to find any fixes and until Obs says I guess that's it.

I was having frequent lockups since the beginning of the game and I never thought it got worse, just the same. I THINK (think) that when I'm not connected to the PSN I have less crashes but they still happen. I played for many 6 hours the other night offline with no issues but that's the longest it's ever gone without crashing.

I had a new crash/bug today where instead on licking up, it just booted me to the XMB. At least I didn't have to reset

stupei

Recent episode of Ghost Adventures is set in Bonnie Springs, just outside of Vegas.

Made me laugh.

Turns out that although it was a stop on the Spanish trail, the actual buildings were all built by a woman named Bonnie whose father was a filmmaker. She wanted to design a small city that evoked classic westerns. Also, haunted.
By cazadores.

Cover.jpg

Great Game! Just finished it!

Seems like RealTimeSettler is dead, the mod maker quit.

I guess that Wasteland Defense mod used a lot of this code without permission and hes stopped modding now, that sucks.

Dead Man

ZombieSupaStar said:

I guess that Wasteland Defense mod used a lot of this code without permission and hes stopped modding now, that sucks.
That sucks.

Aaron

ZombieSupaStar said:

It's loaded with content as is. I'm not really sure what you'd want to add to it.

Just realized I haven't played this game since before christmas. Really want to try and roll a Thief character. Like, 10 Agility and Sneak like crazy. Hmmm...

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping this again, but is Dead Money still scheduled for tomorrow? I'm seriously jonesing for more Fallout, but it has been awfully quiet on the New Vegas front...

^ Just got a PC patch today, I don't know what it fixes (if anything other than dlc supprt)

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/home.php
Dead Money coming to PlayStation 3 & PC, more content on the way

On Tuesday, February 22nd, Dead Money (available now on Xbox LIVE) will release for PlayStation 3 via PSN and PC via Steam and Direct 2 Drive.

In addition to Dead Money, we will be releasing three additional add-on packs in the coming months.These packs will launch simultaneously on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

legacyzero

Banned
Love this game, but became instantly turned off from playing it anymore when I realized that after a weekend of playing to get an achievement for visiting all the locations, There is no such achievement.

It's self inflicted, I know. But STILL.

About 20 hours in and loving this much more than 3.

Bit of a slow start but now Im hooked and playing hour or two chunks which I haven't done with a game in forever.

Zzoram

This game just isn't hooking me like Fallout 3 did. Maybe because it's so similar, I'm not getting the usual boost in interest that newness gets.

I'm only 11 hours in but I'm not sure that I want to play anymore.

Rflagg

Somebody asked already, but it was never answered, does it harm your ps3 to do the hard reset? This is the reason I have not gotten the game yet as it always made me nervous when I had to do so in fallout 3.

Aaron

Zzoram said:
This game just isn't hooking me like Fallout 3 did. Maybe because it's so similar, I'm not getting the usual boost in interest that newness gets.

I'm only 11 hours in but I'm not sure that I want to play anymore.
After finishing both games, I feel strongly that Fallout 3 (with no mods or dlc) was the better game over all. It was just a more interesting environment with more emphasis on exploring, and more chance of just stumbling on something cool, while New Vegas stuffs the map with meaningless caves. Also, most of the groups in New Vegas sucked. NCR doesn't have a lead character I could identify with, Ceaser was just some asshole, interactions with Dr. House were too short, etc. Only group I liked in Vegas was the Brotherhood of Steel. I liked all the gameplay improvements, but it wasn't enough. There weren't any real wow moments, such as the virtual world or the tree guy from F3. Most of the major quests in F3 were memorable for me. New Vegas? There was getting the dog a new brain... and umm... that time my speech skill wasn't high enough...

hemtae

Aaron said:
After finishing both games, I feel strongly that Fallout 3 (with no mods or dlc) was the better game over all. It was just a more interesting environment with more emphasis on exploring, and more chance of just stumbling on something cool, while New Vegas stuffs the map with meaningless caves. Also, most of the groups in New Vegas sucked. NCR doesn't have a lead character I could identify with, Ceaser was just some asshole, interactions with Dr. House were too short, etc. Only group I liked in Vegas was the Brotherhood of Steel. I liked all the gameplay improvements, but it wasn't enough. There weren't any real wow moments, such as the virtual world or the tree guy from F3. Most of the major quests in F3 were memorable for me. New Vegas? There was getting the dog a new brain... and umm... that time my speech skill wasn't high enough...

heh

Also Vault 11 ranks up there with Harold and Tranquility Lane for me

Gvaz

Banned
I really need to finish this game.

I spent 80 hours getting to the endgame choices then went "ughhh what do you mean I have to pick a linear solution now?" and just stopped.

Plus all the mods make this game so much fun. For some reason, I could never get into FO3 or Morrowind or Oblivion, but this... This was just the best.

edit: granted the game was buggy as heck, and i had to noclip through certain places because I couldn't progress, but that's okay.

hemtae said:
heh

Vault 11 remains one of the best moments of 2010, and perhaps of the entire Fallout series. I saw the end of Vault 11 coming, but it felt so much more normal to the Fallout world than Tranquility Lane.

I love both games, but prefer NV because it feels like F1/F2.

Aaron

hemtae said:
heh

Was that the election one? Because I found the clone vault from F3 creepier than that, or even the story vault where the super mutants essentially came from. Besides, Shirley Jackson already did that one. It was nothing new.

bonesmccoy said:
I love both games, but prefer NV because it feels like F1/F2.
I disagree. I think New Vegas feels the least like the originals because it's even further lacking in wit and punch, and where are the goddamn ghouls? F3 didn't handle them the best way possible, they're almost non-existent in New Vegas.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Aaron said:
Was that the election one? Because I found the clone vault from F3 creepier than that, or even the story vault where the super mutants essentially came from. Besides, Shirley Jackson already did that one. It was nothing new.
Okay :lol

I disagree. I think New Vegas feels the least like the originals because it's even further lacking in wit and punch, and where are the goddamn ghouls? F3 didn't handle them the best way possible, they're almost non-existent in New Vegas.
If you are rating the games on wit alone Fallout 3 comes in last by default. There is zero wit in Fallout 3.

markot

Banned
disappeared said:
Really hoping they do some California DLC. I'd love to hit up Shady Sands and Junktown again.
Im guessing that will be saved for the next installment if anything, doubt they will just have it as DLC.

How much is the DLC for you yankmericans?

man, New Vegas reminds me so much of the older games. Vault 11 was just wow that ending man was one of the greatest moments in the fallout universe to me at least.

I liked all the factions too but wish The legion had more presence and more quests, and wish there were more towns. I really love how a ton of Fallout 1 factions came back, like Crimson Caravan, and The Gun Runners.

Anyone else feel this way when they go to the Van Graffs/Gun Runners store and see all those guns? I just stop and drool because of how many guns they have.

Top Bottom