• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
To be honest, I think New Vegas is probably the first Fallout game to have interesting companions. It's not been a strong point of the series in any of the previous games.
Fallout 1 i can see your point but Fallout 2 had a ton of interesting companions. Marcus, Myron, Vic, Sulik.. all of them were interesting, imo.

Aaron

Another thing I disliked about New Vegas: near total absence of ghouls.

Still love both games though. Playing a game where I have access to both is a dream. One unexpected flaw though. The silenced pistol from F3 doesn't count as a holdout weapon in New Vegas. I'll have to buy a new one.

klee123

Aaron said:

Still love both games though. Playing a game where I have access to both is a dream. One unexpected flaw though. The silenced pistol from F3 doesn't count as a holdout weapon in New Vegas. I'll have to buy a new one.

Does the mod work well? I was thinking of starting a new game which allows access to both games, but I'm concerned about any possible glitches.

Aaron said:

Well from the story it makes sense, New Vegas was spared the kind of nuclear attack that would create ghouls in large enough numbers for there to be a whole city of them.

There should be more ghoul migrants and tourists though, I guess. How awesome would a The Kings ghoul be?

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Fallout 1 i can see your point but Fallout 2 had a ton of interesting companions. Marcus, Myron, Vic, Sulik.. all of them were interesting, imo.

Interesting probably isn't the quite the right word... they're just generally not very developed. Generally they were pretty straight forward characters. I definitely think F2 was a big step up from F1, and F3's are probably somewhere in between. NV strikes me as the first time they really made an effort to explore each of the companions.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
Interesting probably isn't the quite the right word... they're just generally not very developed. Generally they were pretty straight forward characters. I definitely think F2 was a big step up from F1, and F3's are probably somewhere in between. NV strikes me as the first time they really made an effort to explore each of the companions.
Okay i see your point and agree.

I don't know what you guys are talking about on the last page. Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas cause of radio station alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQspWS1tQ7M

Jesus christ galaxy news radio was so good. Every song. When that song came on i got gitty! And the atmosphere of the capital wasteland is amazing. I loved exploring a old building or a house with dead bodies while imagining what happened there while the depressing music was playing. Just beautiful. One of the best game experiences i've had this generation. Fantastic job bethesda. Can't wait for Fallout 4.

I still like New Vegas. I enjoy playing it. But to me Fallout 3 is better.

The music in Fallout 3 was definitely much better. Never really got tired of it in the many many hours I played that game. One the other hand, if I hear fucking Johnny Guitar one more time...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
As good as the songs on the radio were in FO3 they were no where near as thematically tied to the game as whats on NV radio. Also Three Dog sucks compared to Mr. New Vegas.

"Mo' jave. Mo' problems. Am i right?"
>>>>>> "Have you ever seen.. a tree?"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Three Dog is better than Mr. New Vegas, but best friend Tabitha is the greatest of them all.
Best Friend Tabitha is great. i still disagree about Three Dog though. One thing that i think was great about Black Mountain Radio is that when you find out
about what happened to Rhonda and who is actually Rhonda on the radio lol

Sober

Kung Fu Grip said:
I don't know what you guys are talking about on the last page. Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas cause of radio station alone:
PC version wins because you can add GNR songs to Radio New Vegas. Also, more songs if you are inclined. I actually need to try that mod that has tracks that influenced quest titles in FNV.

klee123

water_wendi said:
As good as the songs on the radio were in FO3 they were no where near as thematically tied to the game as whats on NV radio. Also Three Dog sucks compared to Mr. New Vegas.

"Mo' jave. Mo' problems. Am i right?"
>>>>>> "Have you ever seen.. a tree?"

Actually I disagree right there. If anything a lot of the songs in F3 are much more meaningful in the setting of Fallout 3 than the Songs in NV.

A lot of the tracks in F3 had lyrics which were completely opposite to what was happening during the events of the game. It gave a unique sense of irony to the player surroundings, which the the songs in NV could never convey. The only connection the songs in NV had were the name of the quests and that's about it really, but anyone can just select a list of tracks and name the sidequests the same as the Songs.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
klee123 said:
Actually I disagree right there. If anything a lot of the songs in F3 are much more meaningful in the setting of Fallout 3 than the Songs in NV.

A lot of the tracks in F3 had lyrics which were completely opposite to what was happening during the events of the game. It gave a unique sense of irony to the player surroundings, which the the songs in NV could never convey. The only connection the songs in NV had were the name of the quests and that's about it really, but anyone can just select a list of tracks and name the sidequests the same as the Songs.
im disagreeing here.. so hard.

Wallach said:
Haha, that damn dog was ridiculous. Such a pain in the ass if it ever found you.
I remember from my first playthrough, I got a shiny new vindicator minigun that I wanted to try, that poor dog was the nearest suitable target. One burst and 650something damage later, that dog still stood.

Wallach said:
Haha, that damn dog was ridiculous. Such a pain in the ass if it ever found you.

The most hilarious part was I had no idea what was happening. All I knew was that all of a sudden everyone was critically missing and crippling themselves a lot more than usual. Eventually I put two and two together and Old Yeller'd him. I felt really bad after that too, I love dogs so it made me feel really guilty. It wasn't his fault he was cursed.

Lothars

water_wendi said:
im disagreeing here.. so hard.

I'm not surprised that you are but I agree with him, the radio station and I also think that a majority of the side things in the world such as places in the world that don't show up on the map are vastly superior compared to new vegas.

Edit: It sounded rude but I didn't mean it to come off like that, it's your opinion and it's valid.

Wallach

Danne-Danger said:
I remember from my first playthrough, I got a shiny new vindicator minigun that I wanted to try, that poor dog was the nearest suitable target. One burst and 650something damage later, that dog still stood.

Yeah, it has 750 HP. For reference I think the next closest companion HP wise is like 200 at best.

Aaron

klee123 said:
Does the mod work well? I was thinking of starting a new game which allows access to both games, but I'm concerned about any possible glitches.
Actually, the only minus is you have to start a new game for it to work, so it'll be no problem for you there. There are a few odd cosmetic glitches, but nothing that interferes with gameplay. I get the occasional crash, but I think that's just New Vegas being New Vegas. Another bonus is most New Vegas mods carry over when you enter F3, like Project Nevada. You can also use some Fallout 3 mods. Some crash the game though, so be prepared to test them.

Sober said:
PC version wins because you can add GNR songs to Radio New Vegas. Also, more songs if you are inclined. I actually need to try that mod that has tracks that influenced quest titles in FNV.
Best mod station is COLRAD. Available in both games. Love the nuclear hysteria theme. It really should have been the actual F3 radio.

Sober

klee123 said:

I would argue JHE did a better job with conveying the irony of what was being said to the Capital Wasteland, but I did immensely enjoy the songs in FO3.

FNV has a few misses but for the most part they are a mix of 30s-50s hits and country songs which fit the setting pretty well I would say.

NoRéN

klee123 said:

Nothing like, "Let's go Sunnin" playing as you take out a raider in VATS while the Bloody Mess perk kicks in.

Salsa

I like both for different reasons. Fallout 2 is still the best though.

I got more immersed into Fallout 3 for some reason, it felt much more like "you against the world" for me, and i liked that aspect. I also liked the story a bit more, not the characters, but the overall story. Got tired of the green tint and similar locations, so the change of setting in New Vegas was greatly appreciated. As well as the few gameplay tweaks that added to a more accesible experience. They are different games and thankfully we have both, New Vegas just takes it up a notch with better writing, better characters, and gameplay tweaks.

What setting you like the most is enough to make you prefer one game over the other though. NV isnt such a big departure from F3 at all when you look it from a distance.

edit: As for the music, i love both, but the limited tracklist is actually part of what "keeps me away" from another playthrough in the end, i just got really tired of them. My next playthrough (wich will include the DLC released so far) im probably going 0 radio. Or maybe some mod that lets me build my own soundtrack, one that fits the game of course :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
New Vegas should achieve some sort of godhood for being the only form of media to have any good country music in the last thirty years.

Good country music is so rare to me, but when its good its really good.

Stoffinator

Kung Fu Grip said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQspWS1tQ7M

Jesus christ galaxy news radio was so good. Every song. When that song came on i got gitty! And the atmosphere of the capital wasteland is amazing. I loved exploring a old building or a house with dead bodies while imagining what happened there while the depressing music was playing. Just beautiful. One of the best game experiences i've had this generation. Fantastic job bethesda. Can't wait for Fallout 4.

I still like New Vegas. I enjoy playing it. But to me Fallout 3 is better.

I have to agree with you. Fallout 3 is a lot better, also less buggy (believe it or not).

Massa

Aaron said:

You definitely find more people than ghouls in New Vegas, which is one of the reasons I like it better.

Still, the Come Fly With Me quest in New Vegas is better than anything Fallout 3 does with ghouls that I can remember.

Casp0r

Banned
So I think I might have broken the story in this game ...

I got pissed off with Caesar and his barbarians and so proceeded to murder each and everyone of them after coming out the bunker in their base. (power fist + stealth boy = one hit them all).

So urm ... have I ended the impending war for Hoover Dam?

I'm thinking of murdering all the NCR while I'm at it ... would that really end the war?

Yaska

Casp0r said:

I got pissed off with Caesar and his barbarians and so proceeded to murder each and everyone of them after coming out the bunker in their base. (power fist + stealth boy = one hit them all).

I'm thinking of murdering all the NCR while I'm at it ... would that really end the war?
Nope there are still some Legion guys and NCR guys you can't interact with to have the war on Hoover Dam. I killed Ceasar and others as well on my playthrough

Sober

Casp0r said:

You can't kill
Lanius or Oliver
until you start the Battle of Hoover Dam. Plus you'll always have Yes Man's path to the finale, since he is unkillable.

Just finished Honest Hearts. I really like it, but the tribal companions wouldn't shut the fuck up! I don't mind them talking, but they repeat the same couple lines every couple minutes, except for the last companion (I won't spoil) who I wished I had longer. I laughed my ass off when you try to get him/her to carry something and they say "I don't think so" and refused to carry anything. Total Boss.
I loved the traversal through the slot canyons, makes me want to go down for another trip. I wish it was longer though, took about 3-4 and I did both endings. I found almost every location too.

Speaking of music, I've never played FO3 or NV with it. I mean besides the occasional radio track drifting in and out in an area, I always turned the main overlying music off, and the radio to low. It sets such a desolate tone for the experience. You just hear the wind and your footsteps. When a bullet whizzes past me, especially after long periods of non-combat, it can make me jump.

Labadal

I liked having the music on. Listening to Johnny Guitar while slaughtering ghouls in Vault 37 was great.

I really enjoyed the music in New Vegas.
Johnny Guitar
Why Don't You Do Right
Big Iron
Jingle Jingle
Blue Moon

My five favorite songs in the game. But I liked all of them to some degree.

Gvaz

Banned
water_wendi said:
New Vegas should achieve some sort of godhood for being the only form of media to have any good country music in the last thirty years.

Good country music is so rare to me, but when its good its really good.
I know what you mean but I wouldn't even call the music country.

It's Classics. Modern Country is awful.

Van Buren

disappeared said:
Speaking of music, I've never played FO3 or NV with it.
You're missing out there - tunes from the Black Isle Fallouts make a return, and are such a nostalgia trip if you've played the originals.

Wallach

Van Buren said:
You're missing out there - tunes from the Black Isle Fallouts make a return, and are such a nostalgia trip if you've played the originals.

Yeah, I loved that they used a few of the older pieces. I was hoping they'd re-use the Vault City theme (All-Clear Signal) during the game but I don't remember ever hearing it.

Casp0r

Banned
Labadal said:
I liked having the music on. Listening to Johnny Guitar while slaughtering ghouls in Vault 37 was great.

Johnny Guitar
Why Don't You Do Right
Big Iron
Jingle Jingle
Blue Moon

The song's were great ... the few that were actually in the game.

Am I the only one that wished their was a shit ton more songs? It just seems like I'm hearing the same ones over and over.

Plus mountain radio
I really liked that radio station and so I wanted to go check it out ... ended up shutting it down ... ffs!

NoRéN

Labadal said:

Johnny Guitar
Why Don't You Do Right

Big Iron
Jingle Jingle
Blue Moon

I just want to point out that those two songs are sung by the amazing Peggy Lee. What a voice!

Bebpo

Banned
Casp0r said:
The song's were great ... the few that were actually in the game.

Am I the only one that wished their was a shit ton more songs? It just seems like I'm hearing the same ones over and over.

Plus mountain radio
I really liked that radio station and so I wanted to go check it out ... ended up shutting it down ... ffs!

It's a major flaw with the Fallout games. The music works so well, but they have like 45 mins worth of music MAYBE, so over 50+ hours you're listening to the same songs over and over and over.

They need 100+ song radios ideally.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
It's a major flaw with the Fallout games. The music works so well, but they have like 45 mins worth of music MAYBE, so over 50+ hours you're listening to the same songs over and over and over.

BIG IRON, BIIIG IROOOON.

tokkun

Bebpo said:

Easily fixed on PC, though, with mods like More Where That Came From and CONELRAD.

Top Bottom