• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

I'm sitting here, waiting for my last save to load... But it won't. The roulette ball just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning, taunting me with its spinny-ness. Fucking buggy game.

Second time that's happened to me during this playthrough. Couldn't exit Nipton Town hall a while ago either: every time I tried the game got stuck in a perpetual loop cycle. Waiting for three in-game days somehow fixed the problem, but couldn't try that here, as the game wouldn't even load. Oh well, thankfully I had an autosave made not too much earlier.

FrankT

We’ve received plenty of inquiries asking when we’ll be releasing Fallout: New Vegas’s third DLC, Old World Blues. Today I can confirm the content will release on PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 on Tuesday, July 19th.

Prior to release, we will release a new title update for New Vegas. Along with adding support for Old World Blues, the update will bring improvements to performance and stability in major areas.

We’ll also be releasing a new trailer for Old World Blues in the coming weeks. I’ve already seen an early version, and it’s crazy awesome. Until then, today we’re releasing new screenshots on our Facebook or Flickr pages.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/06/22/old-world-blues-releasing-on-july-19th/

More delay. Got to wonder if this is in reponse to the reaction of HH.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lord_Nergal said:
What the fuck has Obsidian been doing the last 7 months?
Theyve been developing a time machine so they can go back prior to Morrowinds release and inject their evil Obsidian bugs into Bethesdas Gamebryo engine.

Lothars

Lord_Nergal said:
So what happened to the May/June/July release schedule? What the fuck has Obsidian been doing the last 7 months?

Nothing probably working on dungeon seige 3, It sucks though because I've been waiting for the last two DLC packs and now it's gonna be another month for each of them but It's Obsidian, I shouldn't be surprised.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lothars said:
Nothing probably working on dungeon seige 3, It sucks though because I've been waiting for the last two DLC packs and now it's gonna be another month for each of them but It's Obsidian, I shouldn't be surprised.
This is probably false since it was just a few weeks ago that Avelone talked about the last recorded line for Fallout. There is probably not a full development team on the DLC but to suggest that Obsidian has done nothing in the last 7 months is laughable.

Lothars

harriet the spy said:
I am reading the last pages of this thread, but don't see people overwhelmingly dislike HH. Was it really disliked?

I don't think it was disliked at all, maybe not as enjoyed by some as Dead Money but it was still a good piece of DLC, myself I thought it was really good and I don't like Dead Money.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lothars said:
I don't think it was disliked at all, maybe not as enjoyed by some as Dead Money but it was still a good piece of DLC, myself I thought it was really good and I don't like Dead Money.
i havent played them but from the experiences ive read they offer completely different experiences so love/hate reaction is understandable.

water_wendi said:
There is probably not a full development team on the DLC but to suggest that Obsidian has done nothing in the last 7 months is laughable.

It was 6 months between DM and HH. Bethesda managed to release 5 packs between January 27th and August 3rd of 2009, roughly the same time frame. I've loved everything F:NV related, it just seems bizarre that we have such huge gaps for relatively the same amount of content as previous DLC.

Oh well, I'm still a day 1 downloader.

hank_tree

Lord_Nergal said:
It was 6 months between DM and HH. Bethesda managed to release 5 packs between January 27th and August 3rd of 2009, roughly the same time frame. I've loved everything F:NV related, it just seems bizarre that we have such huge gaps for relatively the same amount of content as previous DLC.

Oh well, I'm still a day 1 downloader.

I assumed the 6 month delay was just so they could get out of their Xbox DLC exclusivity window and release all subsequent DLC at the same time on all platforms.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lord_Nergal said:
I recently played 4 of the 5 FO3 DLC packs and the only one with a significant amount of content so far was Point Lookout.

Stallion Free said:
I recently played 4 of the 5 FO3 DLC packs and the only one with a significant amount of content so far was Point Lookout.

If you critical path all the DLC's they can be completed fairly quickly. Dead Money and HH can both be completed in that time.

FrankT

harriet the spy said:
I am reading the last pages of this thread, but don't see people overwhelmingly dislike HH. Was it really disliked?

Not sure about GAF and not really into digging up GAF opinion as a whole, but it wasn't really a particularly strong DLC for me especially on the story end. Reviews were not so hot either though neither was DM, though slightly better. The Eurogamer review summed it up fairly well in the end. Not sure why they would delay after the delays we have seen and the path they already had announced.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lord_Nergal said:
If you critical path all the DLC's they can be completed fairly quickly. Dead Money and HH can both be completed in that time.
Uh, there is nothing beyond the critical path in Anchorage, Pitt, or the Alien one. And I actually did 95% of the collectables.

New Vegas is no where near as good as Fallout 3.
First of all, none of the characters or towns in new Vegas are remotely interesting and that allegiance aspect ruined the game for me.

Labadal

SoccerGoaliePro said:
First of all, none of the characters or towns in new Vegas are remotely interesting and that allegiance aspect ruined the game for me.

I'm the opposite. Fallout 3 had some good moments, but it can't compare to New Vegas. The different factions and characters were the best part of NV.

I raided a Caesar's Legion outpost and there were soldiers from the NCR there also fighting them. I went in melee style and one NCR soldier kept on coming infront of me for some reason so I ended up killing him by accident. As soon as I wipe the rest of the Caesar's Legion guys some Sargent from the NCR comes to me and gives me three days to regain my peace with the NCR....... I had no way of doing that so now almost all the cities in the game despise me cause of that one little incident.. Makes no sense.

Labadal

SoccerGoaliePro said:
I raided a Caesar's Legion outpost and there were soldiers from the NCR there also fighting them. I went in melee style and one NCR soldier kept on coming infront of me for some reason so I ended up killing him by accident. As soon as I wipe the rest of the Caesar's Legion guys some Sargent from the NCR comes to me and gives me three days to regain my peace with the NCR....... I had no way of doing that so now almost all the cities in the game despise me cause of that one little incident.. Makes no sense.

Never had anything like that happen to me. Then again, I didn't support either of them. did my own thing.

Labadal

SoccerGoaliePro said:
Ya I didn't have the heart to ally myself with the raiders. I basically played this game as if it was real life.

I have a special friend. Won't spoil anything and don't know how to use spoiler tags... :D... :(

SoccerGoaliePro said:
Go do the Return to Sender and Beyond the Beef quests before you say such things.

SoccerGoaliePro said:

Oh, come now child.

Effect

Hmm. I never tried this but is it possible to simply kill everyone you encounter in the game? As soon as you start the game just go killing everyone and not even attempt to follow the story. Does the game account for this type of action?

hemtae

Effect said:
Hmm. I never tried this but is it possible to simply kill everyone you encounter in the game? As soon as you start the game just go killing everyone and not even attempt to follow the story. Does the game account for this type of action?

I know you can't kill Yes Man

Effect said:

I believe if you do that
you're locked into the Yes Man ending, since it's impossible to kill him.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
SoccerGoaliePro said:
Fallout 3 is it's own fun legendary experience but pretty much the only thing I would give it over New Vegas is that exploring is more fun in that one.

Overall, New Vegas pretty much wipes the floor with FO3 in terms of story, characters and expanding on the universe, the things that really matter at the heart of an RPG for me. That and it's alot more balanced in general.

Completely disagree.

Pretty much everybody you run into Fallout 3 is instantly forgettable. I found myself invested in my companions, enemies and quests more than I've ever been in a fallout game in New Vegas. The choices aren't as glamorous as blowing up a town with a nuke but since I actually cared about what was going on and the plight of the mojave, the choices I made mattered so much more and were more personal to me here.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dr. Chaos said:
Fallout 3 is it's own fun legendary experience but pretty much the only thing I would give it over New Vegas is that exploring is more fun in that one.

Overall, New Vegas pretty much wipes the floor with FO3 in terms of story, characters and expanding on the universe, the things that really matter at the heart of an RPG for me. That and it's alot more balanced in general.

Completely disagree.

Pretty much everybody you run into Fallout 3 is instantly forgettable. I found myself invested in my companions, enemies and quests more than I've ever been in a fallout game in New Vegas. The choices aren't as glamorous as blowing up a town with a nuke but since I actually cared about what was going on and the plight of the mojave, the choices I made mattered so much more and were more personal to me here.
4oNxE.jpg

Effect said:
i tried that and it was the most boring game ive ever played. i stopped once i got to Novac.

Coxswain

I'm seriously drawing a blank trying to think of even one interesting character from Fallout 3, whereas I'm pretty sure I can recall just about every person with a dialogue tree in at least the towns in New Vegas.

hemtae

Coxswain said:
I'm seriously drawing a blank trying to think of even one interesting character from Fallout 3, whereas I'm pretty sure I can recall just about every person with a dialogue tree in at least the towns in New Vegas.

I liked Harold

He was a cool guy even when I set him on fire

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Coxswain said:
The only memorable character from Fallout 3 including all DLC, all companions, everyone.. is John Henry Eden. And thats through sheer power of Malcolm McDowells acting prowess. He did for Fallout 3 what Frank Langella did for Masters of the Universe.

Jo-El

Dr. Chaos said:

Overall, New Vegas pretty much wipes the floor with FO3 in terms of story, characters and expanding on the universe, the things that really matter at the heart of an RPG for me. That and it's a lot more balanced in general.
I'm glad to hear that. I just finished Fallout 3 and I felt the story and characters were very weak overall. Sounds like I should be getting around to New Vegas sooner, rather than later.

Wallach

Jo-El said:
I'm glad to hear that. I just finished Fallout 3 and I felt the story and characters were very weak overall. Looks like I should be getting around to New Vegas sooner, rather than later.

That's definitely the main area where NV shines over F3. If that was your main problem and not the gameplay or anything I'd definitely give it a shot.

Gestahl

water_wendi said:
The only memorable character from Fallout 3 including all DLC, all companions, everyone.. is John Henry Eden. And thats through sheer power of Malcolm McDowells acting prowess. He did for Fallout 3 what Frank Langella did for Masters of the Universe.

And even then the ultimate confrontation with him that's been built up the entire game is a dribbling wet fart consisting of the player character saying
kill yourself
in various short and poorly written sequences, so even that couldn't be spared the touch of Bethesda's writers.

NBtoaster

Tons of Fallout 3 characters had memorable quirks. Butch, Moira, Moriaty, Tenpenny, Three Dog, Harold and his worshippers, JHE, Mr Burke..not to mention Point Lookout's main characters.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
NBtoaster said:
Tons of Fallout 3 characters had memorable quirks. Butch, Moira, Moriaty, Tenpenny, Three Dog, Harold and his worshippers, JHE, Mr Burke..not to mention Point Lookout's main characters.
i recognize Moira, Three Dog, HINO (Harold in name only), and Mr. Burke. None of which i would care to see in a game ever again. Who is Butch, Moriaty, or the main characters from Point Lookout? PL i remember some kind of Southern ghoul guy or something against some other guy for some reason i dont remember using cultists and drugs and hulked out hillbillies. The
drug scene
was the best part.. i still remember that.

NBtoaster

water_wendi said:
i recognize Moira, Three Dog, HINO (Harold in name only), and Mr. Burke. None of which i would care to see in a game ever again. Who is Butch, Moriaty, or the main characters from Point Lookout? PL i remember some kind of Southern ghoul guy or something against some other guy for some reason i dont remember using cultists and drugs and hulked out hillbillies. The
drug scene
was the best part.. i still remember that.

Butch is the vault bully
tunnel snakes rule!
, Moriaty runs the Megaton saloon.

The characters in PL were a real nasty ghoul and
the brain of one of his rivals

edit: yes I mean Moriarty..

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oh i remember Moriarty and Butch now. i dont remember there being a whole lot of anything with Moriarty. Butch had more substance, and was probably one of the more interesting characters in FO3, but thats not really saying a whole lot.

And for the PL guys.. the only thing i remember is some feud. i dont remember their names or why the feud started or what the argument was about or anything else. It just wasnt interesting. The spy quest and what i mentioned earlier were the standout parts of PL. Those and the atmosphere.

tokkun

Coxswain said:

I'm not sure that Fallout 3 was really intended to be character driven, unless you count the Capital Wasteland as a character.

The protagonist in the game is called the Lone Wanderer, and the promo media they released seemed to be focused around the solitary elements of the game.

830px-Fallout-wp8-1600x1200.jpg

I don't think characters like Veronica or Cass would have worked with F3's aesthetic.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Its sad that three characters in NV who you dont speak with directly and the only presence they have is to just die for a bounty (Violet, Driver Nephi, and Cook-Cook) have more personality from exposition alone then every companion in FO3 excepting maybe Butch.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Its sad that three characters in NV who you dont speak with directly and the only presence they have is to just die for a bounty (Violet, Driver Nephi, and Cook-Cook) have more personality from exposition alone then every companion in FO3 excepting maybe Butch.

To be honest, I think New Vegas is probably the first Fallout game to have interesting companions. It's not been a strong point of the series in any of the previous games.

Top Bottom