• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
there seems to be a major bug in the audio code.
I quite literally don't hear any radio thru the pipboy. All the DJ stuff is prefect but as soon as they are suppose to start laying down the tunes its all quiet. If I'm standing near an actual radio i can hear the song but I dont' get the music otherwise.

I suspect its something to do with I'm running my audio out SPDIF optical to my reciever and games always just output as stereo.
Its like the game defaults to 5.1 and the raido is playing on the 2 back speakers even tho I can only output the 2 primary speakers.

I haven't found a setting yet that controls channel mapping ..I do miss having music in the background..it does add to the ambiance

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Bebpo said:
It's a major flaw with the Fallout games. The music works so well, but they have like 45 mins worth of music MAYBE, so over 50+ hours you're listening to the same songs over and over and over.

They need 100+ song radios ideally.
New Vegas Secret Stash adds the following..

Track Pack 1 (Tracks 1-20)

1 - Back in the Saddle
2 - They Went That-a-Way
3 - Ring-a-Ding-Ding
4 - Ace in the Hole
5 - You'll Know it When it Happens
6 - All or Nothing
7 - Arizona Killer
8 - Ant Misbehavin'
9 - Eyesight to the Blind
10 - Cold, Cold Heart
11 - ED-E My Love
12 - Come Fly With Me
13 - By a Campfire on the Trail (tutorial quest)
14 - Volare!
15 - Nothin' But a Hound Dog
16 - Aba Daba Honeymoon
17 - Bye Bye Love
18 - Back in Your Own Backyard
19 - No, Not Much
20 - Guess Who I Saw Today

Track Pack 2 (Tracks 21-40)

21. You Can Depend on Me
22. Beyond the Beef
23. Anywhere I Wander
24. Left My Heart
25. That Lucky Old Sun
26. One for My Baby
27. That Old Black Magic
28. Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues
29. I Forgot to Remember
30. Finger of Suspicion
31. Someone to Watch Over Me
32. When the Moon Comes Over the Tower
33. Why Can't We Be Friends?
34. I Put a Spell on You
35. I Hear You Knocking
36. Oh My Papa!
37. Tend to Your Business
38. Hard Luck Blues
39. Cry Me a River
40. I Don't Hurt Anymore

Track Pack 3

41. Wheel of Fortune
42. Wang Dang Atomic Tango
43. G.I. Blues
44. I Fought the Law
45. There Stands the Grass
46. How Little We Know
47. I Could Make You Care
48. Return to Sender
49. Can You Find it in your Heart
50. Auld Lang Syne
51. Crazy, Crazy, Crazy
52. Climb Ev'ry Mountain
53. Don't Make a Beggar of Me
54. We Will All Go Together When We Go
55. Unfriendly Persuasion
56. Still in the Dark
57. My Kind of Town
58.-60 Three bonus tracks chosen by Old Man Mose!

Track Pack 4

61. Veni, Vidi, Vici
62-80 More tracks chosen by Old Man Mose. Some western songs, some early rock, some maudlin 40's and 50's ballads, as well as a few new versions of classic songs from Fallout history.

The only song im surprised that didnt make it into New Vegas is this one.

Just how he hell do you hack computers in this game?

When ever I do it gives me a list of mumbo jumbo and words. Do I have to pick one of the words as a password or what?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Flying_Phoenix said:

When ever I do it gives me a list of mumbo jumbo and words. Do I have to pick one of the words as a password or what?
From the Fallout wiki

You will be presented with a list of words, all of the same character length, interposed with random characters. The length of the words is determined by the difficulty of the lock. One of the words is the correct password, and your goal is to guess it. You choose a word by clicking on it. If you didn't guess correctly, the terminal will display "x/y correct" where x is the number of correct letters, and y is the word length. A letter is correct only if it is in the right spot. For example, if the password is "RELEASED" and you choose "DETECTOR" then you will be told that there are 2/8 correct because there are 'E's in the 2nd and 4th place for both. The words have other letters in common, like 'R', but it is in the first spot in one word, and the last in the other. You have four attempts to select the correct password. If you have the Computer Whiz perk, you will get another try. This game is similar to Mastermind, a board game.

There are also things you can do with the characters that are not part of words. Clicking on matching brackets (i.e. () [] {} <>, even with other characters between, but not a whole unremoved word between) can remove a dud password or reset the number of remaining guesses to four. The brackets must be of the same type and on the same line. Although you cannot match brackets with a whole word between them, you can match brackets separated by the dots that appear when a dud word is removed ( <.......> ). Also, two or more opening brackets can be matched to a single closing bracket ("[ [ ]" on a line gives you two chances), but the opposite is not true ("[ ] ]" only gives you one chance). When you scroll across this type of entry from left-to-right, the entire entry will be highlighted letting you know if you've found one or not.

Also here is a tutorial from Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBCYAEudCM8

Wallach

Flying_Phoenix said:

Here's the jist of it;

All of the complete words are potential passwords. If you click one and it's wrong, on the right it will tell you how many letters were both correct AND in the correct position. Ex. the password is "DIGGING" and I select "CAMPING", on the right it will tell me "3 out of 7" because only 3 of the letters were both correct and in the right place within the word (ING).

Also, combinations of symbols are selectable. Any time there are closed brackets of any type - < > , [ ], { }, ( ) - you will be able to select them along with any other number of symbols on that line as a word. Selecting one of those will deactivate it on the board and give you a bonus, either removing one of the incorrect passwords from the board or refunding the number of password selection attempts to your maximum. Ex. if you see the string {@#$#@} anywhere it will be selectable as a single unit (much like one of the passwords) and clicking it will give you one of the bonuses. Note that even closed brackets that have no symbols between them (like "[]") will work.

If you use up all of your attempts on a computer without finding the correct password, you'll be locked out of the terminal, which for the most part is permanent. You can always reboot the computer (exit out from the password selection screen then use the computer again) to reset your attempts, though you will get an entirely different set of symbols/passwords when you reboot like that.

mujun

Did they patch out the sweet combat armor stash in the ravine to the east? The one with all the golden geckos and radioactive waste.

I relied on that to break a lot of my playthroughs :(

I hope they didn't nix the one at one of the ruined caravans, I'm heading there now.

I think this will be playthrough 7 or thereabouts :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mujun said:
Did they patch out the sweet combat armor stash in the ravine to the east? The one with all the golden geckos and radioactive waste.

I relied on that to break a lot of my playthroughs :(

I hope they didn't nix the one at one of the ruined caravans, I'm heading there now.

I think this will be playthrough 7 or thereabouts :)
Afaik the latest patch doesnt alter what was there in Crescent Canyon.

edit:
i think Crescent Canyon is what you are talking about.

mujun

water_wendi said:
Afaik the latest patch doesnt alter what was there in Crescent Canyon.

edit:
i think Crescent Canyon is what you are talking about.

Yep, I don't know why the hell I thought it was to the east.

I went looking for it a couple of nights ago and only managed to get the rad suit. I might teleport back and do another check. The geckos are good grinding fodder anyway.

mujun said:
Yep, I don't know why the hell I thought it was to the east.

I went looking for it a couple of nights ago and only managed to get the rad suit. I might teleport back and do another check. The geckos are good grinding fodder anyway.
Probably because one of the map markers is called "Crescent Canyon East". Apparently, there's a bug that leaves the armor case empty for some players. I only found the canyon (and the armor cache) for the first time myself during my latest playthrough. And then I stuck to my Reinforced Leather Armor. :lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
water_wendi said:

Fantastic to hear. I have NV on console, but FO3 on both, and I love having a nice, big radio list that fits the game. I love it!

I still like when I hear Johnny Guitar and Big Iron though. Guilty pleasures.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
water_wendi said:
New Vegas Secret Stash adds the following..

The only song im surprised that didnt make it into New Vegas is this one.

I would literally BUY a music pack DLC if it meant I didn't have to listen to the same 5 tracks on the console version of Fallout. They need to consider this in Fallout 4. The selection is just way too limited for this long a game.

mujun

Blue Ninja said:
Probably because one of the map markers is called "Crescent Canyon East". Apparently, there's a bug that leaves the armor case empty for some players. I only found the canyon (and the armor cache) for the first time myself during my latest playthrough. And then I stuck to my Reinforced Leather Armor. :lol

Ah, that's what it was, thanks ;)

I went back and it was there.

EDIT: Post patch ammo prices make me cry..

dionysus

Yaldog
Holy shit no wonder I thought hacking was completely broken. I knew it told you how many letters you got correct, but I didn't know it had to correspond to position as well.

I reloaded at least 1,000 times in that game just to hack stuff. I am a terrible gamer.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BlueTsunami said:
I would literally BUY a music pack DLC if it meant I didn't have to listen to the same 5 tracks on the console version of Fallout. They need to consider this in Fallout 4. The selection is just way too limited for this long a game.
i hate to break it to you but even with an additional 80 songs, there is still a lot of repeat. New Vegas has almost double the music that was present in Fallout 3 (over double if you count the stuff the lounge acts perform in the Tops or music that happens in other scripted places.. theres 48 songs in NV vs FO3s 20) and it still wasnt enough.

dionysus said:
Holy shit no wonder I thought hacking was completely broken. I knew it told you how many letters you got correct, but I didn't know it had to correspond to position as well.

I reloaded at least 1,000 times in that game just to hack stuff. I am a terrible gamer.
Also keep in mind that if you can find closed pairs of <> [] {} () in the garbage that surrounds the words, they have special effects like removing duds or replenishing your attempts.

hemtae

water_wendi said:
Also keep in mind that if you can find closed pairs of <> [] {} () in the garbage that surrounds the words, they have special effects like removing duds or replenishing your attempts.

WAT

mind blown

I'll have to look into that the next time I play

The more difficult the hack is, though, the less of those bracket codes you can find. I'm always keeping my fingers crossed for an "Allowance Replenished".

Audioboxer

Just done the side mission mission last night that involves some rockets :p The side missions in this to me are far better than Fallout 3.

There were multiple chances to make the rockets collide, so tempting, but I'm a good character ;)

I think I'm going to start this game anew with the Project Nevada mod, is it recommended? This will be my first time settling on a character (probably an absolute prick) and sticking with it, making decisions based on how he would react. Should be fun.

ezekial45

Banned
blahblah...blah said:
I think I'm going to start this game anew with the Project Nevada mod, is it recommended? This will be my first time settling on a character (probably an absolute prick) and sticking with it, making decisions based on how he would react. Should be fun.

If you're already familiar with the game, then yeah i'd recommend it. Also, try the world of pain mod. It adds over 90 new locations and it's amazing.

bengraven

water_wendi said:

WAIT WAIT WTF?! MIND BLOWN.

Does this apply to FO3 as well!?

CyReN said:
Has anybody gone back to F3 after NV?

I haven't finished NV but I'm on my second playthrough of FO3. I just prefer the environments and Bethesda's style more. I know I'm a minority and I'm okay with that.

ezekial45

Banned
bengraven said:
I haven't finished NV but I'm on my second playthrough of FO3. I just prefer the environments and Bethesda's style more. I know I'm a minority and I'm okay with that.

No, i'd agree. New Vegas' setting is pretty boring by comparison, imo. The World of Pain mod helps a though.

Sober

CyReN said:
If you mod it enough and tweak the settings you can kinda get the feeling of FNV gunplay more or less. It's still fun to explore the Capital Wasteland but it's not really worth playing for the story.

Crafting though, is janky as hell and Obsidian did a great job taking what modders wanted to do into something easier to use, especially UI-wise. And I used to do a ton of modding and I can tell you, the FO3 crafting interface the modders introduced was janky as fuck. Things like not even showing the ingredients you have against the recipe's requirements being the biggest offender. (Yes I'm aware there might have been limitations).

Not sure how much FWE influenced Obsidian's FNV (Hardcore only? or whether or not the VATS settings, etc also were brought over), but they are similar enough.

Walshicus

Wallach said:
Also, combinations of symbols are selectable. Any time there are closed brackets of any type - < > , [ ], { }, ( ) - you will be able to select them along with any other number of symbols on that line as a word. Selecting one of those will deactivate it on the board and give you a bonus, either removing one of the incorrect passwords from the board or refunding the number of password selection attempts to your maximum.
Woah. Did not know this!

CyReN said:

yeah, in fact new vegas was the first fallout game i played. when i finished it i picked up the game of the year edition of fallout 3 and have already played through it twice. they're both really great but i think i prefer fallout 3, i didnt really like the companion mechanic all that much and only really used companions so i could carry more stuff around. i much prefer going through these games alone

bengraven

ezekial45 said:
No, i'd agree. New Vegas' setting is pretty boring by comparison, imo. The World of Pain mod helps a though.

Right, I prefer dark urban sprawl over half-serious western wasteland.

Honestly, had they either nixed the wild west sub-theme or strengthened it, I might have really loved it.

Wallach said:
Yeah the hacking minigame wasn't changed at all for NV.

Oh shit, playing now.

CyReN

bengraven said:
WAIT WAIT WTF?! MIND BLOWN.

I agree, I like New Vegas but it's getting boring after 30 hours compared to the 80 I put into 3. I'm tempted to pick up 3 again to hold me over til Skyrim.

I'm starting to appreciate New Vegas a lot more during my new playthrough. There's a shit-ton of quests you can easily miss, but are definitely worthwhile. Heck, exploring the Mojave's a lot of fun, too. I'm level 22, I've sided with the NCR, I've wiped out the Legion at Cottonwood Cove and Nelson and I haven't even reached the Strip yet. :lol

hemtae

bengraven said:
Right, I prefer dark urban sprawl over half-serious western wasteland.

Honestly, had they either nixed the wild west sub-theme or strengthened it, I might have really loved it.

Out of curiosity, did you ever play Fallout 2?

ezekial45

Banned
There is actually a mod that let's you travel to the capital wasteland in new Vegas. You can do the same quests, find new gear, and all with New Vegas gameplay.

It's literally the best of both worlds. Requiem for the Capital Wasteland is the name of it, I believe.

EDIT: of course, you have to have both games installed.

Wallach said:
Here's the jist of it;

All of the complete words are potential passwords. If you click one and it's wrong, on the right it will tell you how many letters were both correct AND in the correct position. Ex. the password is "DIGGING" and I select "CAMPING", on the right it will tell me "3 out of 7" because only 3 of the letters were both correct and in the right place within the word (ING).

Also, combinations of symbols are selectable. Any time there are closed brackets of any type - < > , [ ], { }, ( ) - you will be able to select them along with any other number of symbols on that line as a word. Selecting one of those will deactivate it on the board and give you a bonus, either removing one of the incorrect passwords from the board or refunding the number of password selection attempts to your maximum. Ex. if you see the string {@#$#@} anywhere it will be selectable as a single unit (much like one of the passwords) and clicking it will give you one of the bonuses. Note that even closed brackets that have no symbols between them (like "[]") will work.

If you use up all of your attempts on a computer without finding the correct password, you'll be locked out of the terminal, which for the most part is permanent. You can always reboot the computer (exit out from the password selection screen then use the computer again) to reset your attempts, though you will get an entirely different set of symbols/passwords when you reboot like that.
Heh. Didn't know about this. As you said, i always exit out and retry. Usually takes me about 3 to 5 tries.

About 16 hours into my first run through the game after finally feeling like I had enough space after going through FO3 in December. A kind of slow burn at the very beginning, but really really liking it now. Really like how the road to Vegas takes as long as you want it too. Has a sort of road movie feel to it. Just got done with the King's quests in Freeside, except for the dog.

I miss the subways of DC, exploring and navigating the system to find new pars of the capitol waste was really engaging for me, but this is a lot of fun. (Also miss the abundance of books :p) Liking how much some of the side quest stuff was, like the Rockets by Primm, and the Helios One options (Had to save and see that one option before reloading and going for the "right" choice). Just now made it to the Strip, but tempted to go back and do some of the side quests I didn't get around to.

(also mind=blown on the hacking garbage data stuff)

LProtag

Debating starting over and playing through this and finally finishing it.

Though I feel like I'd have to do a run to the medical clinic at level one just because I know I could...

Forkball

Played it for a few hours, got to Helios One. Pretty fun game, but I hate how omnipotent everyone is. In the quest about Boone's wife, I stole from the safe. Then the woman starts punching me even though she didn't see me pick the lock. I run outside, but she keeps punching me and a bunch of villagers start attacking me. I killed one to scare them off, but then I became vilified in the town. Oh well, I completed that quest, so that lady got her comeuppance.

Also, I tried to do the ghoul quest at the rocket facility, but the door to Jacob is locked. I looked all over for the key but couldn't find it. Where is it?

Aaron

Forkball said:
Played it for a few hours, got to Helios One. Pretty fun game, but I hate how omnipotent everyone is. In the quest about Boone's wife, I stole from the safe. Then the woman starts punching me even though she didn't see me pick the lock.
She must have seen you. When you were picking the lock, were you crouched and did it say 'Hidden' at the top of the screen? That's when you know you're safe to open the safe.

This game is great. I think I've played about 13 hours or so, and apart from travelling across the Mojave in the first hour or two, there's been almost zero combat. Really neat to just zip around the wasteland and talk to crazy people.

mujun

Aaron said:
She must have seen you. When you were picking the lock, were you crouched and did it say 'Hidden' at the top of the screen? That's when you know you're safe to open the safe.

Yeah, I've done that quest at least 5 times and never once gotten busted. Rock in there around 1 a.m, crouch and you are set. She doesn't even get shitty when you walk into her house uninvited and wake her up to get her brains blown out :)

So yeah I've decided to do some missions for
The Brotherhood of Steel
and one of them involves going into some old vaults to retrieve supplies. I'm currently at Vault 22
the one that looks like Poison Ivy came to visit.
and I have to open a door to enter some caves. It says that I need admin privileges so I assume I just go to the chain of commands (or whatever its called) office. I do and access the terminal and unlock everything. Though when I select that the cavern door to be unlocked it says I need to do it manually or something. So then I go back to the caverns door and still can't open it.

Can anybody tell me what I'm suppose to do?

Top Bottom